• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NoAlice?Rabbit,Hatter&Chessie Do a HolidayTrip.NEW11/27 1 More Day&I crush on Snowmen

Wow... are you closer to a city in NH or actually in Maine...? Ah... Les Mis looks like it is going to be amazing...:cloud9: and I think a serious tear jerker...:sad:

We are right on the NH border. N.Conway, NH is really the closest theater, but it is horribly small and dirty. That is about 45 mins from us. There is a cool little one in Bridgton, ME which is only about a 1/2 hour, but they only have like 2 screens and only run a very limited number of showings on only a couple films. Portland, ME is the best option and that is about 50 mins away. So we usually get there a couple times a year. Just so much planning needs to be involved to drive that far for a movie. I love taking my little guy though and we try to do it when there are good kids movies. Love that Disney is re-releasing everything in 3D!

We did love Mary Poppins! I'm so excited that Marc got us tickets to the touring company Jersey Boys. That will be in February. Have you seen it?

I'm thinking Lincoln will be on Friday. I can't wait!

Yes we have lovely alcohol laws here...:rolleyes1 That's why I sometimes make my purchases in NJ or less frequently DE... :drive: and I always bring stuff back when we go on vacations...:ssst: don't tell...

I lived in PA growing up, so I remember that well. But for some reason I thought they finally did away with the state stores and all that archaic nonsense. Apparently not!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

And woohoo :cool1: to your trip being right around the corner. I'm so jealous!

We have Walgreens here and I get a lot of my Disney stuff there.

It's official... Walgreens is a National chain of Dis enabling...;)

I showed Mark your pictures of the two pies and he is sitting here drooling (I don't like pie so I wasn't drooling :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:).

Mark has good taste...:thumbsup2 it seems like people fall into either pie people or cake people... and then you have those you like both...:rolleyes1

Our oldest son and his girlfriend went to see Lincoln while we were out of town visiting our youngest son and they said it was spectacular.

It really is...::yes::

Happy Thanksgiving if I don't get back here. :hug:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too and your family...:hug:

Interesting question... First of all: anything cake-like (and I would include pies in that) would never be considered dessert here in Germany. Cake is something you have in the afternoon (between 2 and 4pm) with a cup of coffee.

I think the only version of pie which is common here in Germany is apple pie. Otherwise having a crust with a filling is rather uncommon. What we do have a lot are "yeast cakes" which is usually a slightly sweet yeast dough on a baking tray (think thicker than pizza, about an inch high) where you can put any fruit on top, or just butter and sugar, or streusel (you can pout the streusel on top of the fruit as well). My favourite version is with plums and is a typical late summer treat! The Bavarian name for that is "Zwetschgendatschi" :goodvibes Now I am hungry for some cake...

That sounds delicious... they should have some of those in a bakery at Epcot...::yes::

Funny... we, in Southeastern Pa., have a cake that you can get in German American Bakeries... a lot of our independent bakeries are owned by families of German heritage...) called butter cake...(I haven't ever seen it outside this area-Philadelphia and the countryside outside- had a lot of German settlers in the 1700s) and it sounds a little similiar - slightly sweet yeasty dough about an inch or a little less thick... with a sweet creamy better topping about 1/4 inch think... It's very simple but so good...

We are right on the NH border. N.Conway, NH is really the closest theater, but it is horribly small and dirty. That is about 45 mins from us. There is a cool little one in Bridgton, ME which is only about a 1/2 hour, but they only have like 2 screens and only run a very limited number of showings on only a couple films. Portland, ME is the best option and that is about 50 mins away. So we usually get there a couple times a year. Just so much planning needs to be involved to drive that far for a movie. I love taking my little guy though and we try to do it when there are good kids movies. Love that Disney is re-releasing everything in 3D!

I think I know N. Conway... it that where Storybook Land or Christmas Land is? We've been to NH around Lake Winepausakee...(ok I know I just slaughtered that spelling...) and up by the White Mountains... and I definitely know that we were in or near N. Conway and we were in Portland last summer... 50 minutes is a long drive to get to the movies... but I would definitely do it for something I couldn't wait to come out on DVD...

yes and it's a good idea for them to rerelease because there is a whole new generation of children who haven't seen these film...::yes::

We did love Mary Poppins! I'm so excited that Marc got us tickets to the touring company Jersey Boys. That will be in February. Have you seen it?

I'm thinking Lincoln will be on Friday. I can't wait!

Mary Poppins is such a great show... you will be sing those songs for months...:goodvibes I haven't seen Jersey Boys but Emily had the chance to and she said it was very good...:thumbsup2 I'd like to see it...

You will love Lincoln...:goodvibes

I lived in PA growing up, so I remember that well. But for some reason I thought they finally did away with the state stores and all that archaic nonsense. Apparently not!

Sigh ... no unfortunately not..

Have a great Thanksgiving!

You too...:hug:

And woohoo :cool1: to your trip being right around the corner. I'm so jealous!

YES... 8 days... Woo hoo....:yay:

5 days????? That means we are at 12 days.

If I don't get back here before you leave, I hope you have a most magical time.

5 DAYS TO GO...

So Thanksgiving has come and gone... and it really was rather nice... (What's not to like about a holiday whose main purpose is to give thanks and eat a large carb-heavy meal with your family? :goodvibes)

IMG_0550.jpg

A turkey with our Turkey...:rotfl:

and before you know it you have leftovers and are making things like this dish with the leftovers-I made this for Eric-he LOVES this kind of thing... (the "It tastes like Thanksgiving" Casserole ... primarily made with leftover mashed p's, stuffing and Turkey...)

IMG_0571.jpg

We've also come to the end of our eight week Disney Trio Countdown...

In keeping with the upcoming Holiday Season, we have...

IMG_0595.jpg

and the featured trio?

IMG_0596.jpg

Why Mickey, Donald and Goofy of course...

(In this particular trio- without a doubt Eric is Donald, David loves/is Goofy and I guess that by default that would make me Mickey...:cool2:)

(My truly favorite way of watching this trio is going back and watching them in some of their early cartoons from the thirties... I love them... ::yes::)

Anyhow...

I really should be packing... and I sort of am packing or gathering things that will be going with us... at least fun things... like

IMG_0578.jpg

the stuffies that will accompany us...

IMG_0576.jpg

Some accessories we had from a previous December trip-Mickey Christmas scarves for all of us, a Tink Christmas hat for me, and a Minnie nail polish kit...

IMG_0588.jpg

a bracelet that Eric bought for me on Ebay after several hints on my part... it's hard to see but it has a patriotic Mickey theme... many of the charms are miniature posters Disney made during WWII...

a Disney red manicure...

IMG_0567.jpg

ahhhh... finally a couple of shirts for me...two I had but the Mickey with sunglasses is a newbie from Target...

IMG_0574.jpg

a few new shirts for David...also from Target... the yellow has an older version of Mickey and the black is an Oswald hoodie...

IMG_0573.jpg

but there is progress being made on the clothing/toiletries front... Today I did all the wash and I have been gathering the needed toiletries...

Now I just need to interpret the weather forecasts...:rolleyes1

So Thanksgiving has come and gone... and it really was rather nice... (What's not to like about a holiday whose main purpose is to give thanks and eat a large carb-heavy meal with your family? :goodvibes)

and before you know it you have leftovers and are making things like this dish with the leftovers-I made this for Eric-he LOVES this kind of thing... (the "It tastes like Thanksgiving" Casserole ... primarily made with leftover mashed p's, stuffing and Turkey...)

I wish I had enough leftovers to make one of those, yum!

a bracelet that Eric bought for me on Ebay after several hints on my part... it's hard to see but it has a patriotic Mickey theme... many of the charms are miniature posters Disney made during WWII...[/COLOR]

a few new shirts for David...also from Target... the yellow has an older version of Mickey and the black is an Oswald hoodie...

Love the bracelet! So cute. Eric would love that hoodie, I had no idea they had Oswald stuff at Target.

So soon!!!

Typing one handed here so forgive the mistakes but Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
Can't believe it's only 4 days left for you, so exciting!
And I love all the purchases!
Is there a recipe for the leftover pie? It looks delicious!

Can I just say WOO HOO!!!!!!!! for 4 days! :cool1: You must be too excited. I hope the packing went better today. :rotfl2: Meaning - I hope you found room in your suitcase for clothes. :rotfl2:

I hope to get back here before you leave, but just in case I don't - Have an AWESOME trip! :thumbsup2

WHEW! I made it just in time before you leave! :thumbsup2

It's wonderful to see you back on the boards!! And it's amazing to see how quickly your kids have grown up....Em, college?! What?! Time flies.

Your pie looks divine...I think I need something sweet to eat! :goodvibes

Yay your trip is so close!!! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! :cool1:

I'm not sure what the weather forecast is saying for FL when you are there, but when I was there (over a week ago already! :sad:) it was pretty cool...I'm from CT, so to me, temps in the 50's and 60's are nice, that's like spring to me, but people were walking around with with winter coats on! And hats and gloves! I thought that was kind of crazy! :rotfl: We had maybe 2 or 3 hot days, in the 80's, but the rest of the time, it was maybe 60's-70's during the day and lower 60's-50's at nice. I thought it was perfect, but you might be hoping for warmer!

I wish I had enough leftovers to make one of those, yum!

lol... I know what did you have about 1/2 lb turkey... I had 15 lbs for 12 people... 2 of whom are little children (my niece and nephew- so I had a little more leftovers than you...;)

Love the bracelet! So cute. Eric would love that hoodie, I had no idea they had Oswald stuff at Target.

It is cute... I love charm bracelets to begin with...:goodvibes-

Target had a line of the early character... Oswald, Early Mickey, the Big Bad Wolf, Pete, etc... cute stuff...

So soon!!!

3 almost 2 days now...:cool1:

Typing one handed here so forgive the mistakes but Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
Can't believe it's only 4 days left for you, so exciting!
And I love all the purchases!
Is there a recipe for the leftover pie? It looks delicious!

Are you holding a cutie pie with the other hand?...:goodvibes Thanks... I really love Thanksgiving... there is a recipe and I will try to post it soon... or pm it to you...

AHHH, your trip will be here in just a couple days!!

I know it... and you have about 3 weeks... are you ready??? You have all the Christmas preparations too...:santa:

Can I just say WOO HOO!!!!!!!! for 4 days! :cool1: You must be too excited. I hope the packing went better today. :rotfl2: Meaning - I hope you found room in your suitcase for clothes. :rotfl2:

Yes lol...:lmao: I have found room for the clothes and the toiletries which is good... I've become found of wearing clean clothing and brushing my teeth...:thumbsup2

I hope to get back here before you leave, but just in case I don't - Have an AWESOME trip! :thumbsup2

Thanks Mary Ellen... I'm sure I will...:hug: I'm going to try to post at least a photo a day on FB...:goodvibes

WHEW! I made it just in time before you leave! :thumbsup2

:welcome: Hey Brook, it's great to see you again...glad you're here...before I leave ... lol...

It's wonderful to see you back on the boards!! And it's amazing to see how quickly your kids have grown up....Em, college?! What?! Time flies.

I know it's weird isn't it? Emily was as little as Henry too...See what happens when you feed them and love them and take care of them... they leave you to go away to college... jk...:lmao: Kind of... I'm so proud of what an amazing young woman she is but I am going to miss her like crazy...:sad2:

Your pie looks divine...I think I need something sweet to eat! :goodvibes

Everytime I see that picture I want another piece...:woohoo:

Yay your trip is so close!!! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! :cool1:

Thanks and welcome over...:welcome:

I'm not sure what the weather forecast is saying for FL when you are there, but when I was there (over a week ago already! :sad:) it was pretty cool...I'm from CT, so to me, temps in the 50's and 60's are nice, that's like spring to me, but people were walking around with with winter coats on! And hats and gloves! I thought that was kind of crazy! :rotfl: We had maybe 2 or 3 hot days, in the 80's, but the rest of the time, it was maybe 60's-70's during the day and lower 60's-50's at nice. I thought it was perfect, but you might be hoping for warmer!

I hear you... It makes me laugh what a lot of our Southern fellow Disers think is cold... HAHAHA... :lmao: (Sorry guys... no hating on the South... but you all are a little wimpy about the cold...:confused3) Seriously I think 70 is awesome...:thumbsup2 I'll just have a jacket for nights... looks to be high 50s-60s... :thumbsup2

I am so behind with all my subscriptions....so if I don't get back here in time.....HAVE FUN!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter