"No we are not married"

Hee. I forget where DH and I went now, but at the time, we were not yet married, and I had made the reservations. I was very amused to see that people at the hotel we were staying at would continuously call him Mr. Richard S. (which was my last name, not his).

Of course, now that we're married, the shoe is on the other foot, because my blood tends to boil when I get stuff addressed to Mrs. Richard W. Um? Yeah, I took his last name, but I still do have an actual *first* name and I like it!

Laugh it off- I never minded people thinking we were married when we weren't, as long as they were being friendly, not nosy (you can tell the difference...). If they were being rude about it, I'd just give them an evil grin and tell them that we were enjoying living in sin, thanks for asking.

DH and I go on our Disney trips with our best friends (also a married couple.) Last time we went our friend booked the trip using their DVC points and so it was his name on our room and charge card. Every day I was refered to as Mrs ..... (our friends name,not mine) I didn't bother to correct them as you could see why they would assume that. My male friend and I spent some time shopping together and people assumed he was my husband, we didn't correct them as we could see why they presumed that. My self and his wife actually found it funny, although I guess people assumed she was married to my husband as she was shopping with him at the time. I expect the same thing to happen on our next trip and like last trip I will smile and wish them as nice day when they call me by the wrong name.

This thread is so funny because it's so true. Dbf and I have been on 2 trips to Disney together and several that both of our families went on. Every year it's the same thing, asking if we're newlyweds. We've been together for almost 8 years now so we just go with and don't bother to correct people, after all we're going to get married some day. One particularly funny time though was when we were both on vacation with our familes and we had gone off one our own shopping one day, wherever we went people asked if we were married, the funny part was that at the time I was 15 and dbf was 17!!! What are some people thinking? although it's nice that they care, even now at 22 I look about 17. While we would of course correct someone if they were trying to give us something free, I certainly won't argue with the perfect table by the window at dinner just in time for the fireworks!!! Either way it gives us a good giggle! Just laugh and have fun with it!

DBF and I get that all the time outside of disney, I hadn't even thought about it on our trip. It's funny though.... the little boys in our apartment complex that like to play with our dog keep calling him my "husband" and asking when we got married... and I don't know if I exactly want to have the "living in sin" discussion w/ a 7 year old. And like many of you said, we'll get married soon enough anyway, so it's usually easier to shrug it off. Now, his 17-year-old sister introducing me to everyone as her "sister in law" is kinda weird... the sentiment is nice but then people ask when we got married. Oh well!

the first time my fiance and i went to Disney together, we had only been dating for 5 months. we got on the Mears shuttle and there were two other couples on there with us. one was on their honeymoon(bride still had her hair done from the wedding!) and the other was celebrating an anniversary so we were automatically assumed to be there on a honeymoon or anniversary. other times we'd go places and stay in hotels and people would make comments and things like that. we just ignored it......but now we can actually say "we're not married.....YET! we're still planning!" lol

:wizard: Welcome to the honeymoon capt. of the world!! Well, next to Paris (ironically there is a WDW there too).
I travel a great deal with male companions and also get asked that question. Yes, some where significant others but most were just really really good friends.
:grouphug: I personally think when you are happy people see that. People assume that since you are with a male in a family friendly environment ..you are married.
:lovestruc
I have found that when you are in love the world is in love with you.
:sunny: :sunny:

That is too funny! I know how you feel, on mine and my now fiance's first date we had to stop by the DMV (how romantic :teeth: ) because he had just bought a new car the day before and wanted to get the car forms stuff done(I don't really know what he was doing there, I was too busy people watching). So anyways he had his arm around me when we walked up to the window and the older lady at the window said "You guys must be newlyweds, I've never seen married people that still look so happy to be around each other" We thought it was hilarious and told her it was actually our first date. He was so cute though, the next day when he came to pick me up for date #2 he brought me a bunch of flowers with a card that said Congratulations on your wedding. :rotfl:

Also, about a week ago I went out to eat with my brother and my parents and the waiter asked "Would our young, in-love couple like a seperate check?" I about died and my brother looked like he was going to be sick.

NeverlandClub23 said:
That is too funny! I know how you feel, on mine and my now fiance's first date we had to stop by the DMV (how romantic :teeth: ) because he had just bought a new car the day before and wanted to get the car forms stuff done(I don't really know what he was doing there, I was too busy people watching). So anyways he had his arm around me when we walked up to the window and the older lady at the window said "You guys must be newlyweds, I've never seen married people that still look so happy to be around each other" We thought it was hilarious and told her it was actually our first date. He was so cute though, the next day when he came to pick me up for date #2 he brought me a bunch of flowers with a card that said Congratulations on your wedding. :rotfl:

Also, about a week ago I went out to eat with my brother and my parents and the waiter asked "Would our young, in-love couple like a seperate check?" I about died and my brother looked like he was going to be sick.

:earseek:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

LiLIrishChick63 said:
the first time my fiance and i went to Disney together, we had only been dating for 5 months. we got on the Mears shuttle and there were two other couples on there with us. one was on their honeymoon(bride still had her hair done from the wedding!) and the other was celebrating an anniversary so we were automatically assumed to be there on a honeymoon or anniversary. other times we'd go places and stay in hotels and people would make comments and things like that. we just ignored it......but now we can actually say "we're not married.....YET! we're still planning!" lol

Ahhh yes we had been dating for about 6 months at the time. And yes its nice that when youre in love the whole world is in love with you, but be in love at a distance please! lol i guess i'm just an exremely private person. I used to get flipping mad when people would come up to me to ask about my med school plans when I would be at a book store studying for the MCATS!! GRRRR!!! If I wanted to be bothered I would have stayed at the dorm or gone to social hour, I mean the library!

I made the mistake of going to Vegas with my boyfriend after we'd only been together 2 months. Big mistake! Everyone asked us if we were getting married.

I know they were just being nice, but it's really uncomfortable when you've just started dating someone. After a while, all the talk of weddings make for some akward, if not a little premature, conversations.

We've been together for 3 years now, so this year, when everyone at Disney asked if we were newlyweds, it wasn't that uncomfortable and we could laugh it off. Even when all the staff at one of the restaurants called me Mrs W (his name).

I know what the OP means. It's not nice to explain your situation to complete strangers.

pixiedust23 said:
So why must people rush others into getting married so early, I have so much life I want to live b4 I settle down!

One of these days you will understand the saying: "Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free".

I think that one day you will be sorry for this choice you have made. There are many, very good reasons for settling down AND living. My DW and I have not missed much in our life.

brack said:
One of these days you will understand the saying: "Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free".

I think that one day you will be sorry for this choice you have made. There are many, very good reasons for settling down AND living. My DW and I have not missed much in our life.

Wow, I never thought this thread would turn into a judgment about how people choose to live their lives.

Pixie - if you aren't ready for marriage there is nothing wrong with that and I don't think you'll be sorry for this choice. I'm getting married now and I'm 27 and I've been with my fiance for 7 years. He still wanted to "buy the cow" after "getting the milk for free." There is no reason to get married just b/c society thinks you should. I wish you the best of luck in whatever choices you make.

I am going to Disney in December with my boyfriend- we've been together 3 1/2 years, he's saving for a ring, and this is our first vacation together. We're 25. My Catholic parents were still very antsy about this trip at first, but now they've come around. I think if I would have gone within the first year of our relationship, my parents would have just disowned me.

Personally, I think waiting for marriage to have sex is important,however rare it may be nowadays. Also, I just wanted to point out from personal experience, that it is possible to share a hotel room without having sex. Sometimes things aren't what we think they are.

A side note- my boyfriend and I have gotten *tons* of "married"/ "wife" comments- at Ikea, Best Buy, grocery stores, restaurants, everywhere. I think if you look in love, it happens occasionally. The first time it happened we were only together 2 months, so it *was* extremely awkward, but have to admit I kind of like it. :cloud9: Lucky for me, so does he. :goodvibes

brack said:

Eeeek. I'm 38 and am getting married in two weeks. We'll be in WDW on our honeymoon after that. My fiance is 40, and this is the first marriage for both of us. We live in NYC and have careers. I am SO GLAD I waited to get married! I've had the freedom to do whatever I wanted -- lived in Europe for a while, traveled, had some great adventures, and now I'm actually ready to settle down -- not that any of that necessarily has to change, but once we have kids, I'm not going to WANT to. (Yes, kids -- I'm healthy, and 40 is the new 30, thank you)

I'm not prescribing any way of life for anyone (like this "brack" guy) - I'm just saying that for me, it was wise to wait.

You can take a vacation with whomever you want, regardless of how long you've been dating! Not all Disney fans have to sit at home watching "Seventh Heaven" on PAX.

On my first holiday with my boyfriend he wasn't OK with the 'Newlyweds' comments. We were 18 and 20 at the time.

His first girlfriend tried to pressure him into marriage at 16, so he was understandably a little uncomfortable with these questions when we'd only been together 2 months.

It spoiled our first trip a little, because it made him so uncomfortable.

I quite liked it, but that's just me!

This year, after 3 years together, we both just enjoyed the questions and told people who asked if we were honeymooners 'not just yet'.

After 2 months, we just weren't ready to ask ourselves the questions, nevermind be asked by strangers.

My GF and I went last October. Not a problem, nobody asked us anything like that.

We went for our honeymoon in June, and I had to wear the stupid tophat with ears, we got a ton of congratulations, but still, nobody asked if we were married.

I feel your pain. In a little different way.

When I go with my Mom...."oh are you sisters?"...have just decided I will take this as a compliment that neither of us look our age.

When I go with my Brother...."oh are you married?"....okay that is just gross!

Goodness knows what is going to happen next January when we all go together....(I can hear the music from Deliverance in the background).....

Since we are from the South I guess you could all be related AND married...at least that is the joke around here :)

Couldn't care less whether anyone else is married or not and I think it's pretty much just rude to ask. Look to see if they're wearing rings if you really want to know.

I'm glad I've gotten old enough that people have stopped asking me when I plan to get married..."time is running out, you know."

At least it's your boyfriend. I get that ALL of the time with my DAD.

That's just ICKY!

joll43 said:
Eeeek. I'm 38 and am getting married in two weeks. We'll be in WDW on our honeymoon after that. My fiance is 40, and this is the first marriage for both of us. We live in NYC and have careers. I am SO GLAD I waited to get married! I've had the freedom to do whatever I wanted -- lived in Europe for a while, traveled, had some great adventures, and now I'm actually ready to settle down -- not that any of that necessarily has to change, but once we have kids, I'm not going to WANT to.
I'm glad this works for you. The other side of this is DH & I who got married when I was 26 & he was 29. We waited until our 30s to have kids. We had a lot of adventures too, just together. Being married can be good, not being married can be good also. We can all be happy. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter