No way Jose! We are going to Disneyland! 3/13 - Movin' on Up!

Oh so many things to comment on!
First and foremost, I am so happy that you and your family were safe during Hurricane Sandy. It was predicted to be a lot worse here (Albany) than what we actually got, but it was horrifying nonetheless to watch the news and weather coverage of the storm as it literally ripped the coastline apart. At that time, it was a mixture of sadness for everyone hit as well as fear for what might lie ahead in my own area - there are communities here that are still not recovered from Irene, so to say it would be devastating for many to deal with another storm so soon is an understatement (And I know that many on the Jersey coastline HAVE dealt with damage from both storms). Now, just seeing the extended coverage of the damage on tv...so sad. Just so so sad.
And...now I need to get ready for work so I'll comment on your trip later!

Yay!! You are back to writing.
I love that you are on the beach in January and just wearing a hoodie!! That doesn't happen in Chicago! ;)
Fun update! We drove by Pinks on our tour of CA and the line was down the sidewalk then, too. Wonder if it is ever without a line. We ate at the Pinks at Universal and I wasn't impressed.
Can't wait to read where you will be headed.
Oh, and have to tell you, my DD and I will be in New York (City) in March for a Showchoir competition. I will have to be sure to check with you before we go to get some pointers of what to see and what to avoid. The itinerary includes time in Times Square, a visit to Ground Zero and Ellis Island, a Broadway show (I think we will be seeing Lion King), and their performance will be at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Never been to New York and there is some time on our own, so I will be looking for some ideas. Hope you can help.

I am loving your trip report. We are trying to decide if we want to venture out to Disneyland next year instead of WDW (we have a son just about Henry's age). Your report isn't making it any easier!

Interesting statistic about the ABD rebooking rate but I think i can see why!
Any ideas how that compares to the cruises? That's something we've not done yet either :)

Ahh it seems the only time around here where I have a quiet minute to myself is before the sun comes up! I just wanted to come back to comment on a couple other things from your tr. I loved the whole Hollywood & Santa Monica tour! Just seeing the HW sign & the SM Pier must have been so thrilling :) And it's awesome that you got to hang out with your friend, it's nice to be able to reconnect.
And finally, I love your hair long!

Sounds like my kind of driving. I swear I get stuck in a jam if there is one or lost easily and I am usually good with direction too. But an unfamiliar place is always a bit scary.
I get that way if i don't eat too. A little unmagical in mood.

I think your TR is the only one I didn't have to catch up on!:rotfl:

Traffic :scared:....I suffer from road rage, I wouldn't have done well. I actually would have tried the empty road to see if I could have gotten around!:lmao:

Beautiful shots of the area!! I've been to the ocean, but just a lonely stretch close to Redding, CA.

Food improves the mood! It looked like a nice way to wind down your night.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow American DIS buddies!!!!

I hope you've had a wonderful holiday!​

An update, an update!! :banana:

Now I have to go and catch up! :laughing:

I know - I'm on a roll being all caught up with the DIS finally! :thumbsup2

Oh so many things to comment on!
First and foremost, I am so happy that you and your family were safe during Hurricane Sandy. It was predicted to be a lot worse here (Albany) than what we actually got, but it was horrifying nonetheless to watch the news and weather coverage of the storm as it literally ripped the coastline apart. At that time, it was a mixture of sadness for everyone hit as well as fear for what might lie ahead in my own area - there are communities here that are still not recovered from Irene, so to say it would be devastating for many to deal with another storm so soon is an understatement (And I know that many on the Jersey coastline HAVE dealt with damage from both storms). Now, just seeing the extended coverage of the damage on tv...so sad. Just so so sad.
And...now I need to get ready for work so I'll comment on your trip later!

I know just what you mean. We watched the news and watched Twitter (ha ha! but true!) as Sandy moved up the coast and it was unreal. I'm so thankful we were pretty much untouched in my part of Queens.

Yay!! You are back to writing.
I love that you are on the beach in January and just wearing a hoodie!! That doesn't happen in Chicago! ;)
Fun update! We drove by Pinks on our tour of CA and the line was down the sidewalk then, too. Wonder if it is ever without a line. We ate at the Pinks at Universal and I wasn't impressed.
Can't wait to read where you will be headed.
Oh, and have to tell you, my DD and I will be in New York (City) in March for a Showchoir competition. I will have to be sure to check with you before we go to get some pointers of what to see and what to avoid. The itinerary includes time in Times Square, a visit to Ground Zero and Ellis Island, a Broadway show (I think we will be seeing Lion King), and their performance will be at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Never been to New York and there is some time on our own, so I will be looking for some ideas. Hope you can help.

That is one of my very favorite parts about visiting warm weather destinations in the winter - wearing out of season clothing! :rotfl: While it was a bit chilly it felt GREAT to not be covered in snow! Although, the winter here in NYC last year was pretty tame.

I can DEFINITELY help with your NYC trip, I love talking about the city that I love!! :goodvibes Sounds like you have a pretty great schedule already - but there is so much to see and do, I'm here when you are ready to start planning. :thumbsup2 I'm guessing your stop at Ellis Island also includes the Statue of Liberty since they are pretty much together...if not for some reason, you should definitely do that. It's not expensive at all, and a wonderful experience. Ellis Island is awesome too.

I am loving your trip report. We are trying to decide if we want to venture out to Disneyland next year instead of WDW (we have a son just about Henry's age). Your report isn't making it any easier!

I'd say DO IT! We truly lovedddddddd Disneyland. It's so different, yet the same. A wonderful experience! And it's EASY. So easy! We ditched the stroller this trip (and actually haven't brought it on a trip since!), and he had NO problems even at the age of 4.5. My next update might be the clincher...about an hour away is another land that boys happen to adore...it often has "Kids Free with an Adult" offers too!

Interesting statistic about the ABD rebooking rate but I think i can see why!
Any ideas how that compares to the cruises? That's something we've not done yet either :)

I'm not certain on the rebooking rate on cruises...I'm sure it's up there though! It's probably close to 90% as well. Good question, I'll have to ask about that sometime... Cruising is GREAT. That is a totally different trip than WDW or DL though. There are some really good deals out right now too!

Ahh it seems the only time around here where I have a quiet minute to myself is before the sun comes up! I just wanted to come back to comment on a couple other things from your tr. I loved the whole Hollywood & Santa Monica tour! Just seeing the HW sign & the SM Pier must have been so thrilling :) And it's awesome that you got to hang out with your friend, it's nice to be able to reconnect.
And finally, I love your hair long!

I hear ya! Mine is either before the sun comes up or long after it's down. Or when Joe wants to run to Best Buy to take advantage of a good deal on a Black Friday sale and takes Henry with him. ;) :rotfl2:

Thank you on the hair! I go through spurts that are a few years in length...I think I've had longer hair now for about 2 years. It will probably last about a year more and then get chopped! LOL

Sounds like my kind of driving. I swear I get stuck in a jam if there is one or lost easily and I am usually good with direction too. But an unfamiliar place is always a bit scary.
I get that way if i don't eat too. A little unmagical in mood.

That's a good way to put it! "Unmagical in my mood" :rotfl: It's true though, I was grumpy and did NOT want that pizza and it was ALL Joe's fault at the moment! LOL!

I think your TR is the only one I didn't have to catch up on!:rotfl:

Traffic :scared:....I suffer from road rage, I wouldn't have done well. I actually would have tried the empty road to see if I could have gotten around!:lmao:

Beautiful shots of the area!! I've been to the ocean, but just a lonely stretch close to Redding, CA.

Food improves the mood! It looked like a nice way to wind down your night.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ya, we are a bit slow moving around here...trying to pick up the pace a bit now that I'm finally caught up on the DIS though...trying... Let's see if I can finish it before 2013! :lmao:

The next morning was January 15 - and I haven't a clue when we woke up, but I know it was bright and early!!

Joe went down to the Quick Service lounge at Paradise Pier and came back with breakfast while Henry and I got ready in the room.

IMG_1154-L.jpg

A breakfast burrito for Joe

IMG_1155-L.jpg

Breakfast pizza for Henry and I.

Henry still had no idea where we were going and while I can't recall for sure, I'm 99.9% certain he was asking what it was - over and over and over again.

We loaded up into Carzilla and started our drive...

IMG_1160-L.jpg

IMG_1165-L.jpg

The drive was easy - all highway driving with NO traffic, and fairly scenic.

IMG_1168-L.jpg

Surfboards

IMG_1183-L.jpg

Ocean!

So where were we going for the day?

IMG_1196-L.jpg

Henry's wonderland.

This boy is Lego CRAZY. I cannot tell you how much we have spent on Legos because it's embarrassing! :rotfl: However, I don't mind spending the money on them because he can literally sit for HOURS and play with them, building all sorts of things - and he's quite good! Plus, Joe loves them almost as much. :goodvibes

Knowing how much he was going to LOVE Legoland, we kept it a secret, otherwise he would have been asking for the past few days when we'd be in Legoland driving us crazy...:littleangel:

Pulling up we decided it was time to tell him...you also get to hear him utter "No way Jose!" which was his trip theme and which he hasn't really said since...! :confused3

Video: Surprising Henry (2 minutes, 13 seconds)

We were soon walking up to the gates

IMG_1199-L.jpg

IMG_1201-L.jpg

Video: Entering Legoland (20 seconds)

I'll do a quick mini review here before we dive into pictures:
There was ONE thing on that boy's mind for the entire day, to BUY Legos (as you heard in the video above). He asked no fewer than 82,912 times when we could buy Legos and our response was always the same: right before we leave. At times he just wanted to leave so he could buy the Legos, even though he was having a great time. We knew if we purchased the Legos first, he'd just want to play, and we didn't pay an admission price to just sit and play with Legos! Aside from that aggravation we had a great time at Legoland. The park is simple, and some rides are just for the kids - and most are VERY kid friendly - any child over the age of 10-12 would be bored here. Henry was a perfect age. I think the adult tickets should be cheaper than what they are considering you end up doing a lot of standing around watching your child ride...but they often have "Kids Free with an Adult Ticket" coupons, so it's worth it. I don't think this is a "must do" every trip, but we do want to go again-likely to the one in Florida this time. If you have a Lego crazed kid like I do and you can fit it in, do it. It's definitely not Disney quality, and is quite expensive (the food is even more than Disney!), but it's fun and makes for a very memorable time for a Lego nut. Henry still talks about it and wants to go back.

With that said, let's roll on with the pictures!

IMG_1202-L.jpg

IMG_1204-L.jpg

Loved the themed cement.

IMG_1206-L.jpg

Where to first?

We went to the back of the park first, which meant passing a few things that really caught Henry's eye. As with the whole "buying the Legos at the end" thing, it was hard to reason with a 4-year old about why we should do the bigger rides first and go to the back of the park.

IMG_1208-L.jpg

Passing through Duplo Village
IMG_1209-L.jpg

Video: Duplo Village (30 seconds)

Entering into Fun Town
IMG_1211-L.jpg

We saw the Volvo Driving School and I figured they would be a lot like the cars at the MK (slow moving, long line!), so let's do those now! Plus, Henry was begging for a ride by this point, so it worked!

IMG_1212-L.jpg

Well...I'm glad we have a few years until he's 16. :rotfl: He made it half a lap before he even gave up!

Video: Speed Racer (1 minute, 50 seconds)

IMG_1213-L.jpg

More cars, but just ones to sit in and pretend you are racing. More Henry's speed at that point!

Continued in next post

Continued from previous post

IMG_1214-L.jpg

Fun Town is cute

Despite me wanting to get to the two "big rides" we did a few now...we were close enough, we'd get there soon and hopefully the line wouldn't be unbearable.

Helicopters!
IMG_4951-L.jpg

These literally just go up and down on a pole.

IMG_1220-L.jpg

Video: Helicopters (1 minute, 4 seconds)

We found some GIANT leaves
IMG_1224-L.jpg

IMG_1225-L.jpg

Love the Lego swans!

IMG_1226-L.jpg

Near the entrance of Pirate Shores - another land of the park

IMG_1227-L.jpg

A Lego pigeon

Next we did the boats. It was another slow mover, and currently had NO line, so I figured it would be a good one to get out of the way.

You just hop in a boat and drive it around a track. Pretty simple, but cute.

IMG_1229-L.jpg

IMG_1230-L.jpg

IMG_1233-L.jpg

The figures would either do something, like the water turn on here, or say something, when your boat went past.

Video: Boats (11 seconds)

Back on land, we checked out a few other details in Pirate Shores

IMG_1234-L.jpg

And then were back in Fun Town for the airplanes

IMG_1235-L.jpg

IMG_1236-L.jpg

Video: Airplanes (35 seconds)

Themed soda machines!
IMG_1238-L.jpg

And pay phones
IMG_1240-L.jpg

Since we were close by, we just wandered through Fun Town a bit more. My agenda had been ditched. Not surprisingly. :rolleyes:

IMG_1241-L.jpg

What?! Okay, themed cement and soda machines...and an Adventurer's Club?!
IMG_1243-L.jpg

We HAD to go in!
IMG_1244-L.jpg

IMG_1245-L.jpg

The point of the Club

However, it was a bit dark in there and Henry was NOT feelin' it...so much like the real Adventurer's Club, we never got to fully check it out.

Back outside, some details of Fun Town:

IMG_1246-L.jpg

IMG_1247-L.jpg

The Waterpark entrance is off in the one corner of Fun Town

IMG_1264-L.jpg

IMG_1265-L.jpg

Continued in next post

Continued from previous post

IMG_1268-L.jpg

IMG_1269-L.jpg

Video: Fun Town (1 minute, 20 seconds)

IMG_1248-L.jpg

This we had to check out!

IMG_1250-L.jpg

And I think about 1 billion of those are in Henry's room...:rolleyes1

IMG_1251-L.jpg

Lego building machine

IMG_1252-L.jpg

Lego mold

IMG_1256-L.jpg

IMG_1257-L.jpg

At the end of the little "tour" was a Lego recreation of the factory. Pretty cool!

IMG_1259-L.jpg

IMG_1260-L.jpg

IMG_1261-L.jpg

In Fun Town is the newest attraction for Legoland, the "Fire Academy" this looked AMAZING to Henry, so into line we went!

IMG_1263-L.jpg

You pump the truck up and down with a lever and someone "drives" (that would be Henry in our group) to the other side of a small area. Then everyone gets out of the truck and does another pump to spray water at a Lego flame. Then back into the truck to go back to your starting point, the first one across wins.

IMG_1266-L.jpg

We made Henry the Fire Chief. He had to drive the truck and tell us where to point the water.

IMG_1272-L.jpg

IMG_1273-L.jpg

IMG_1274-L.jpg

We told him we were up against some "big kids" (they were about 8) and we had to work HARD and FAST. He took his role very seriously and...we won!! He was THRILLED. Oh my goodness, soooooo happy! It was a lot of fun and he truly thought he was driving. He WAS a Fire Chief. ::yes:: A truly magical moment.

Now, would we ever get to the big rides? And how scary long would those lines be?! So far our longest wait was all of 5 minutes for the Fire Academy...the park seemed empty...was it? :scared:

First off...all the videos are saying private to me, but it might be the browser I am using?

Claire is lego obsessed too right now. We bought some at DTD and all she wanted to do fro m hat point on is play with them and I had to threaten taking them away a few times. She has asked about going to Legoland in Florida now too...and I have no clue how she even knows about it.
It really looks amazing there though Great theming. It's so amazing what people can build with legos...or look like legos.

Yup, the videos say they are private for me too.

What a cute park! I can see how Lego lovers would totally be in delight. Kadence goes in streaks playing with hers. She is most happy when her Daddy plays with, and then weird things are made:rolleyes1

Yup, me too! No videos. boo!

But seeing Henry in an assortment of lego vehicles is just precious. He must have had a field day. I have never seen pictures of lego land, so thank you for such a great tour. It really looks like a cool place and so uncrowded.

Wow it does seem empty! I love that he was the fire chief, and won! I'm sad we never made it when the boys would have been into it.

Says private for me, too! Loved the pics! Brought me back to times with my lads. I took two of them to Legoland Windsor in '02. Fortunately I had a book to read while they waited in line for the driving school!

I was fortunate that my SIL worked for Lego when they were young. I would give her my list and she would purchase them with her company discount. We have large bins in the basement and attic from all the sets. I guess it was good training as the oldest is a mechanical engineer and the youngest is studying to become one!

Great update! Love seeing the beach photos...looks like heaven!

We have been to Legoland twice - DS LOVES Legoland!! He wants to go again this summer! We did the water park last time too .... which was very small.

The drive from Anaheim is nice and very easy, isnt it! We always stop for breakfast in Laguna Niguel at Mollie's and then have dinner in Carlsbad at Las Olas. Last time, we stopped at Farrel's Ice Cream parlor in Missn Viejo on the way back to Anaheim after dinner. Yum!

Legoland looks like fun!
My nephews would have asked to buy legos just like Henry. It's so tempting not to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter