No Sleep Till Brooklyn! WDW Road Trip July 2012! UPDATE 8/31/12 (DHS!)

Love your TR! I'm a fellow NY'er as well...from Queens! My dh and I did the drive down one year with our (then 2 1/2 year old) daughter. She is now 10 1/2 and our youngest daughter is 7.

We're planning on another trip down to WDW for next fall.

We totally love SeaWorld and cannot wait to go down again.

Love your TR! I'm a fellow NY'er as well...from Queens! My dh and I did the drive down one year with our (then 2 1/2 year old) daughter. She is now 10 1/2 and our youngest daughter is 7.

We're planning on another trip down to WDW for next fall.

We totally love SeaWorld and cannot wait to go down again.

Hi and thanks! We love doing the drive down, even with some "adventures" here and there...hey it makes it interesting, right? Gotta laugh! I'm glad you are looking forward to going back to Sea World. You will enjoy it, and it's always nice to look forward to a great vacation. What part of Queens are you from?

Hi again everyone! Hop on over to my dining report...I finished my Yachtsman Steakhouse review! :thumbsup2 I should be posting about our "free" day soon, now that I completed the dining review for the Sea World day. I'm trying to keep up with both threads as best I can! :thumbsup2

Hi and thanks! We love doing the drive down, even with some "adventures" here and there...hey it makes it interesting, right? Gotta laugh! I'm glad you are looking forward to going back to Sea World. You will enjoy it, and it's always nice to look forward to a great vacation. What part of Queens are you from?

We live in the Flushing/Bayside area though my dh works in Brooklyn, right on the Brooklyn Queens border.

We have quite a few stories from that drive down and it did get quite interesting....LOL. We still get a good laugh out of the drive down, years later. I wouldn't mind doing the drive down again but I don't think my dh shares my ambition. :confused3

We live in the Flushing/Bayside area though my dh works in Brooklyn, right on the Brooklyn Queens border.

We have quite a few stories from that drive down and it did get quite interesting....LOL. We still get a good laugh out of the drive down, years later. I wouldn't mind doing the drive down again but I don't think my dh shares my ambition. :confused3

I don't like to fly, and Eric loves to drive and enjoys taking road trips, so we both agree that driving is better for us. We're also off in the summer so we have the time to drive down and spend 10 nights at WDW. That's why we go in the summer...our winter and spring breaks from work (we're teachers) are too short to do that.

Good evening all! I’m here to update with the next day of our trip…a day we did not go to any theme parks.

We were definitely ready to have a day without so much running around. We had already gone to Busch Gardens and Legoland while staying in Tampa, and we had gone to Sea World. True, the day we arrived at WDW we didn’t go to a park but we still did a lot of walking around and shopping in DTD, plus hitting the rain, so this was a great time for a break from the parks and a day NOT to wake up to an alarm!

The kids got up at around 8:30 (late for us on a WDW vacation!), and we all had breakfast in the villa. We just had some cereal and some fruit. It was nice to eat light. We were planning to go to the pool that day and just relax. Eric and I thought it would be nice to go for a ride on one of the surrey bikes they rent out on the Boardwalk. Eric suggested that we do that first, before the height of the heat kicks in during the afternoon, and before the threat of the usual summer Florida thunderstorm. So, out onto the Boardwalk we went! The boys are too short to pedal, so we rented the surrey bike that fits 2 adults, and the boys rode up front. This costs $20 for half an hour. The one that fits 4 adults and 2 non-pedaling little ones up front costs $22 per half hour. I asked if there is a DVC discount but that is only available between 4 and 6pm, and it’s 10% off so it would have only saved us $2. The CM set us up in our surrey bike, and he was kind enough to take this pic of the 4 of us:

5602481c.jpg

And off we went, Eric and I pedaling, saying this is not so hard to do but we couldn’t imagine doing it in the afternoon heat! After a couple of minutes it felt a little more difficult. I was joking around and said, “Thank goodness we decided to do this early in our trip before we gain even more weight from everything we eat here!” :lmao: We had a good laugh!

We continued on, and we had to go uphill over the bridge which you would walk over to get to Epcot or the Beach Club. This was difficult but we made it and we were laughing hysterically the whole time! How funny we must have looked to other people. The funniest part was when people would see us coming, the boys would ring the bell, and they would quickly get out of our way…as if we were completely out of control! OK, maybe it did feel a little crazy when going downhill, but Eric controlled that brake pretty well. We had one more hill up climb, closer to the Swan and Dolphin. This was a bigger challenge because we were already tired, but we made it. We made our way back to the Boardwalk. The ride took 12 minutes. Eric asked me if we should do another lap, but I said no, that I wouldn’t make it past the Beach Club! :rotfl2: We definitely got a good workout on that surrey bike, and I’m a person who exercises regularly (including strength training). There was another couple with little kids who were just about to start when we returned and they asked us how it was. We told them it was a lot of fun but a great workout (they looked like they were in pretty good shape). They smiled and were on their merry way.

I can’t imagine doing the surrey bike in the afternoon summer heat. I was dripping when we got back, after only one time around in the morning. It was so much fun though and we’re so glad we did it. The boys had a fun, relaxing ride and enjoyed ringing the bell for us from the front.

After the surrey bike, we went back to the room to change and get lots of water, then we headed to the pool area, around 11am. The table with the umbrella near the kiddie pool was not available, but there were 2 lounge chairs nearby, in the shade. So we went right over to those. Philip wanted to go on the water slide, but Jonathan wanted to go in the kiddie pool. I took Philip into the big pool and watched him go on the slide a couple of times. He had a lot of fun on the slide and went on several times. He enjoyed his time swimming. Eric convinced Jonathan to go into the big pool as well. A CM informed me that we could rent a life jacket from the Community Hall for him, for the duration of our stay at BWV, and it was free. I went over to Community Hall while Eric played with the boys in the pool and rented one for Jonathan. He wore it for a little while, but he didn’t like it. We held onto it in the room just in case for the rest of the trip, figuring we could try it out again. Here’s a shot of Eric and the boys in the pool:

9aab478b.jpg

We had a relaxing time, just hanging out in the pool, and also on the lounge chairs. Boardwalk has a beautiful pool and we just love it. Here are a couple of nice shots:

2e8e99bf.jpg

c209e57c.jpg

And here’s a shot of the boys and me being silly:

51e01e6d.jpg

At around 1pm, the boys said they were hungry. So were we. We decided to pack up and walk over to the nearby Dolphin hotel to go to Picabu, their counter service, for lunch. First we were thinking of picking up something from BW Bakery and eat in the villa, but Picabu is larger and has more variety so we decided to go there. They give 20% off for DVC members…just show your membership card and you’re all set. But keep in mind, they don’t take the room charge unless you are staying at the hotel because it’s not run by Disney. You could pay with cash, and they take credit cards as well.

After lunch, it was just about time for “Welcome Home Wednesdays” which is the weekly afternoon party for DVC members, held at Atlantic Dance Hall on the Boardwalk. Since it was right there, and on the way back to the hotel when coming from the Dolphin, we decided to go. It starts at 2pm and is held most Wednesdays. When we arrived, they did not ask for our DVC membership card, which surprised me. I guess technically anyone can walk into there for a free snack, beverage and party. :confused3

Eric and I each filled out a raffle form, and they gave a snack voucher to each of the 4 of us. There were no seats on the lower level near the stage, so I had to find us some seats upstairs. Eric and the boys waited on line to get us snacks and drinks…the line was SUPER long. I found us a table upstairs with 4 chairs and a pretty good view of the stage. The snack choices were an individual bag of pretzels, an apple or a banana. They had lemonade to drink. They were out of bananas once Eric reached the front. The boys each got pretzels and Eric got an apple for himself and one for me too. We all had lemonade. It was refreshing to have some fruit, but the lemonade was very sour.

A lot of this was a big advertisement for adding onto the DVC membership, particularly at Aulani (in Honolulu). The activities were games like Disney movie trivia, a game where people selected had to guess certain things about the audience related to the Disney theme parks, etc. After about 10-15 minutes we were VERY bored (me and Eric, not so much the boys, they were OK). However, we wanted to wait for the raffle, which was of course done last! They were giving out some terrific prizes for the raffle. The ones I remember are a parasailing adventure, a Disney Floral arrangement, and a gift card for a ride-along at the Richard Petty Driving Experience at the WDW Speedway. We didn’t win anything, but at the end they gave every person present (including the children) each a DVC tote bag. The tote bag was a nice prize, but Eric and I felt like this was a waste of time and we don’t plan to attend again on future trips. We were happy we didn’t travel to another resort to do this and that it was held right on the Boardwalk.

Afterwards, we returned to the villa, showered and changed. We had a 5:20 ADR for Ohana and we knew we had to get there early. We left at 4:40 and we were there by 5pm. I will review Ohana in my dining report as soon as I get the chance!

After Ohana, we checked out some of the shops at the Polynesian. I wanted to go to Captain Cook’s to look at their cupcakes, and maybe get one to bring back to the room to eat the following day. I bought a chocolate macadamia nut cupcake. While I was in there, Eric was at Wyland Gallery looking at some art.

We went back to BWV and settled in for an early night. The following morning we had EMH at Magic Kingdom at 8am, which meant getting onto a 7am bus. In fact, we had 3 EMH mornings in a row ahead of us!

Up next: EMH morning at MK! Stay tuned… :happytv:

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun on your non park day. We made sure to do a non park day this year too and we had a lot of fun. It was much more relaxing. The kids slept in a little and we recharged.

Always wanted to rent a surrey.

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun on your non park day. We made sure to do a non park day this year too and we had a lot of fun. It was much more relaxing. The kids slept in a little and we recharged.

Always wanted to rent a surrey.

It was definitely nice to get some much needed relaxation! It makes it feel like more of a vacation as opposed to every single day being "GO, GO, GO!!!" ;)

Bangzoom - WOW !!! lots of activities on the non park day. Sounded like a really fun day yet enough time in the day to kick back. :thumbsup2

Bangzoom - WOW !!! lots of activities on the non park day. Sounded like a really fun day yet enough time in the day to kick back. :thumbsup2

Oh yes, we did a lot for a "free" day! :rotfl:

But we had a lot of fun, and next time we are not going to go to the Welcome Home Wednesdays DVC activity. It was something we wanted to try, and we're glad we went to see what it's all about so there is no wondering anymore what we are missing. We feel like we're not missing anything because I think the best reason to go is if you plan to add on points to the membership, and we can't do that even with the best deals they give. So next time, our free day(s) will be even more relaxing. Next time I would rather go back to the villa and take a short nap after the pool and a shower. Or even just relax in the villa and watch some TV to have some down time with the boys.

On our 2010 trip, we had more free time than we did on this trip. In 2014, we plan to have a little more free time as well. This trip was a lot more tiring, even though we enjoyed it just as much as any time we have been to WDW. We would just like a little more relaxing time, one more day without a park at all would be great! I also think we were so tired because in Tampa we went right to Busch Gardens the day after we arrived, after spending 2 full days driving. And, the day after Busch we went to Legoland. Then the following day was our arrival day at WDW and running around DTD in the rain. In 2010, we first drove to Boca Raton, FL to visit some friends and my uncle, so we had a relaxing time there just spending time with people before hitting theme parks. We didn't leave Disney property on that trip, went to Disney parks 6 out of the 10 days we were there, and we had a 7th free day on our ticket from UT so we went to Epcot just for the World Showcase at 11am. So even on that day it wasn't an early morning.

Hi there - I just discovered your trip report, and am so glad I did! You describe everything so wonderfully, and your family is beautiful. Funny how Florence, SC seems to be the popular place for an overnight stay for most FL-bound travelers - we live in Florence! And we take things like Shoney's, Sonic, pecans and lizards for granted. lol Thanks for posting such a great account of your trip!

Hi there - I just discovered your trip report, and am so glad I did! You describe everything so wonderfully, and your family is beautiful. Funny how Florence, SC seems to be the popular place for an overnight stay for most FL-bound travelers - we live in Florence! And we take things like Shoney's, Sonic, pecans and lizards for granted. lol Thanks for posting such a great account of your trip!

I must say, the people in your town we encountered were very nice. On our first 2 trips, we stayed in Lumberton, NC on our first night, but this time we decided to do more driving the first night and less the second. Florence is less than an hour south of Lumberton, so in the grand scheme of things it was not that much further than usual.

Ahh yes, Shoney's, Sonic, pecans and lizards...you might ask yourself what is the big deal...but to us all of that reminds us of driving down south and wonderful, sometimes funny, vacation memories! :thumbsup2

Hi everyone! I know I still have yet to post our first Disney theme park day (MK EMH morning), but we have been busy with other things this weekend. Good things, just busy. We have been spending a lot of time with the boys (continuing summer reading, playing outside, etc.), went shopping today for all their school supplies (and happy we got everything!), spent some time at my parents' house, doing chores around our house and just trying to relax at the same time. I promise, tomorrow I will have that MK day up! :thumbsup2

Hi everyone! And so it begins…the Disney theme parks! And away we go….. :thumbsup2

Eric and I woke up at 5:30am so we could get ready before having to wake the boys. We woke up the boys at 6am. They popped out of bed when we told them it was the day we were going to Magic Kingdom! They quickly got ready, I put their sunblock on them, and we had our breakfast in the villa. The night before I had asked the concierge at BWV what time the first bus leaves for Magic Kingdom. She said 7am. We figured we would get to the bus stop at 6:50am. We left the room at 6:45, and took the stairs (very close to our room), and when we got downstairs I realized I had forgotten my phone. So, Eric and the boys went to the bus stop, and I ran upstairs to get my phone. When I came downstairs, stepped outside and started to make my way to the bus stop, it was around 6:50 and I noticed the bus there said “Magic Kingdom”. I made a mad dash for the bus, and I made it. As it turns out, he was waiting there for a few more minutes. So, the bus came earlier than the concierge told us…just a tip that sometimes their information may be slightly inaccurate. ::yes::

We took the bus to MK…it was a pretty quick ride even though we picked up people from the Swan & Dolphin first…and made our way to get our bags checked. I never get tired of seeing this:

2a6b95c5.jpg

There were only a couple of people in line in front of us to enter the park. As time passed, the line behind us got longer and longer, and Eric and I said to each other again that this is why we get there super early! At around 7:40 they started letting us through the gate, Eric and the boys gave me their tickets for Peter Pan fastpasses, and we made our way to the left side (most people went to the right). We were standing behind a very nice family from Massachusetts, who are also DVC members. They were very nice and we were talking about how we plan out our vacations. The father of that family is the vacation planner so we were talking about the different things we do to prepare. They go down pretty often though, but we go for one big trip every other year. That’s the beauty of DVC…you can use it however you want and change your mind down the road if you so choose. I also noticed a woman talking to her family about how this was their first time at MK, and they were wondering where to go first. I noticed they had teenagers with them, so I asked her if they like roller coasters and big rides. She said that her husband and children do, so I recommended that they send one person to get fastpasses for the 3 of them for Space Mountain and then do Peter Pan in Fantasyland. I also briefly explained how the fastpass system worked, and that once the time for Space Mountain comes up, they could get fastpasses for either Big Thunder or Splash, and wait again for the next fastpass if the standby wait was too long. She was very thankful and said that before, she had no clue how to do this. I was happy I was able to help out another family…especially since this was their first time to WDW and the first time at MK. And yes, I am very outgoing! :goodvibes

Before we knew it, they were beginning the rope drop show! I always love this and never get tired of seeing it. Philip and Jonathan were excited. As soon as they let us in, I started walking, making my way down Main Street so I could get to Fantasyland. Mad dash down Main Street right after rope drop:

8317c1af.jpg

And on the way I got this shot of the castle:

40694173.jpg

I made my way to Peter Pan and got a fastpass for each of us. The machine also gave me surprise fastpasses for Mickey’s Philharmagic! When I saw the surprise fastpass come out, I didn’t understand what it was and I told the CM that I thought this was the fastpass machine for Peter Pan. She said it is and I was getting both as a surprise! The Peter Pan return time was 8:40-9:40…perfect! I had told Eric and the boys to meet me in front of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and by the time I got there, they were arriving too. We walked right onto the ride and we all enjoyed it very much. :thumbsup2

Afterwards, the boys wanted to do the Tomorrowland Speedway (they remembered how much they enjoyed it last time), so we did that next. We waited about 8 minutes before getting into the cars. Eric went with Jonathan and I went with Philip. We each let the boys drive and it was a lot of fun.
We made our way to Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, another fave of the boys. We waited about 10 minutes for this. I went with Eric and the boys went together. We had a lot of fun of course! Afterwards, I noticed that the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor was open. We went over there, and the CM outside said the first show would begin in 5 minutes. Perfect…we still had 40 minutes left to get to Peter Pan. However, once inside, they told us they were having technical difficulties and to come back later. We never made it there on this trip, but that was fine. We went last time and wanted to see some different things this time anyway. We walked back to Fantasyland and rode Peter Pan with our fastpasses. By now, Peter Pan had a 45 minute wait in the standby line! We walked right on from the fastpass line. The boys wanted to ride together, and Eric and I went together right behind them. I always love Peter Pan’s Flight. It reminds me of my first trip to WDW when I was 8 years old. A lot of fond memories. When we got off the ride, Jonathan kept saying, “That was awesome!” Peter Pan is one of his faves at WDW! :hyper:

After Peter Pan we went on It’s a Small World. The wait was only 5 minutes. I can’t go to WDW without going on this ride, but I promised myself this time that I would not take any pics on the ride! For some reason, on our last 2 trips, I took tons of pics on this ride…I don’t know what made me do that. Probably the different cultures involved because that interests me very much. We were unable to use our fastpasses for Mickey’s Philharmagic because the time had already passed, but it didn’t matter. We went over to see it and walked right in from the standby line. We all enjoyed it as always! :)

This was the first time Jonathan was big enough for Big Thunder and Splash. Philip has been on Big Thunder before, but didn’t want to go on Splash last time. This time, both boys wanted to go on both rides. So the plan was the fastpass Big Thunder, go to Tom Sawyer Island and then return, since Big Thunder and the raft for Tom Sawyer Island are right by each other. The fastpass return time was just around the corner for Big Thunder, so we figured after Tom Sawyer Island, Eric and the boys would be able to ride, and I could grab them some fastpasses for Splash at that point.

We got right on the raft for Tom Sawyer Island, and we spent about 30 minutes there exploring. If you have trouble walking uphill and downhill, Tom Sawyer Island may not be for you. It is all walking, and much of it is on uneven terrain. We all had a great time though, exploring and walking around. But it was very hot and humid (it hadn’t rained in 2 days!), so we were drinking tons of water too. They have rest rooms on Tom Sawyer Island when you get off the raft to get there. So no worries there. Here are a couple of pics from Tom Sawyer Island:

4d772241.jpg

3d1789a9.jpg

When we got back, the fastpass time was up! :dance3: So the boys and Eric went to Big Thunder. I walked over to Splash to get fastpasses but the return time was 12-1pm. We had a lunch ADR for Plaza at 12. OK here is where I had to really think. I texted Eric and they were still in the fastpass line and not yet on the ride. So I figured I will wait around and I was sure the fastpass time would quickly get later since a lot of people were grabbing them for Splash. It was just about 11am. The plan was to get the fastpass once the return time would be 12:30-1:30, and then go to Plaza early. This was the only shot we had at the boys being able to ride Splash (we weren’t returning to MK in the evening).

By the time Eric and the boys finished riding Big Thunder and made their way over to me, the Splash return time was already 12:20-1:20! I asked the boys how they liked it and they both really loved it. Jonathan said it was awesome and he was glad he was big enough to go. I went and grabbed fastpasses for Splash, with a return time of 12:25-1:25. We explained to the boys that depending on when we would be able to return to Splash, they may or may not be able to ride it that day. We wanted to make sure they understood this just in case. We walked back to Main Street to the Plaza restaurant. I checked us in (it was only 11:15!), and we were seated in 5 minutes!!!!! Yay! :cool1:

Immediately following this will be the rest of our MK day...here it comes! :goodvibes

We loved Plaza (but more details are already in my review of it, in my dining report!), had a nice relaxing lunch, and we were out of there at around 12:15. 10 minutes before the fastpass time was up! We made our way to the Carousel of Progress, which I always find to be interesting, and we hadn’t made it there in the morning. We walked right in and enjoyed it very much. I was thinking we would take the Railroad into Frontierland, but it would have taken the same amount of time to wait for that and do it as it would to walk, so Eric and I figured we might as well walk, and the boys were up for it. We walked over to Splash, and Eric and the boys got in the fastpass line. I went over to the area where you can see them come down on the big drop and waited. They were on the ride after about 5 minutes in the fastpass line. It was SO HOT out at this point!!! :sunny: The last time it had rained was 2 days before, when we left the pool area that afternoon after going to Sea World. I always find the afternoon thunderstorms in Florida to be a pain in the neck when we are in the middle of a theme park, but I quickly learned from experience in the heat why they were totally necessary to cool things down a bit. I was trying to get some good shots of the boys and Eric with my iphone, but it was so hot that it overheated and wouldn’t work. I learned though, that you can still dial for emergency help if this happens because the phone gave me that option. I just got it in June for my birthday and I’m still learning a lot! So I didn’t get that pic of them coming down the drop, but I did get to watch it and it was awesome! :thumbsup2

I made my way back to where they got off, and we went into the shop to look at the pic. It came out great and we bought it. The CM was originally from Long Island, NY and we were talking to her. She moved to Florida a few years ago and proceeded to tell us that she hated it there. Eric went to take the boys to the rest room while I finished our transaction and paid, and this woman just wouldn’t quit complaining about hating it in Florida. She said she had no choice but to work at WDW because no one else would hire her and she was miserable there as well. I have never encountered such an unhappy CM at WDW that shows it! I’m sure some CMs are not happy but they never seem that way to me. So this was definitely a surprise to me and a first. :confused3

We decided to go into Adventureland so we could cool off with some Dole Whips! We had all finished all the water we brought into the park, and we drank plenty at lunch as well, but it was a great time for a frozen treat. There was a fairly long line at Aloha Isle, but we waited. Philip and Jonathan were having Dole Whips for the first time! The last 2 trips they had no interest in them. Philip got pineapple, Jonathan got vanilla and Eric got pineapple. I got the Dole Whip float with pineapple/vanilla swirl. I had never had a Dole Whip float. I usually get the pineapple/vanilla swirl cup. The float was very refreshing with the pineapple juice and I wish I could have one now! This was a great way to cool off from the heat. There was not a rain cloud in sight though! It was close to 2pm already, and we decided that we’d had enough for the day. We had a 5:55pm ADR for California Grill so we wanted to go back to the villa, shower and rest for a while first.

We made our way out of the park, and went to the bus stop. There was a fairly decent line so we figured it wouldn’t be long before a bus came. We got to the bus stop at 2:15, and I was hoping to be back in the villa by 3pm. We ended up waiting 30 minutes for the bus! It was hot and NOT fun. I felt very bad for all the people in front of us, who had already been waiting 10 minutes before we got there. Once the bus came, it was a short ride back to BWV but we were all exhausted. We got back into the villa at about 3:15, showered and just relaxed in there.

We left the villa at 5:20 for our 5:55 California Grill ADR. We had a good dinner there and then went out onto the observation deck (dinner review will be in my dining report later on!). We went to the Contempo Café to get some cupcakes to bring back to the villa for dessert (didn’t have dessert at the restaurant). By the time we returned to the villa, it was about 8pm. We told the boys we would have our desserts, then they had to get ready for bed and we could watch the fireworks from the balcony. Jonathan said he didn’t want his cupcake. This is not like him at all. Eric, Philip and I all started eating our dessert and put Jonathan’s cupcake into the fridge so he could maybe enjoy it the next day. Jonathan was standing near me, and started coughing. He didn’t look too good. I said, “Jonny, are you OK?” He just kept coughing and looked like he was about to lose it. Eric brought him into the bathroom, and poor Jonathan started throwing up. :sick:

Now, I will tell you…I have emetophobia, which is an irrational fear of vomiting. I normally have no problem taking care of my kids when they are sick, when they fall and I have to clean a wound, etc. Diapering them as babies didn’t even gross me out. But when it comes to throwing up, Eric is the one who takes care of it. When Eric was attending to Jonathan, I went out on the balcony with Philip to get some air (and to calm myself down because inside I was in a total panic but didn’t want to show it in front of Philip & Jonathan). Philip said he felt bad for Jonathan and hopes he is OK. I explained to Philip that this will make Jonathan feel much better. We went back in after a few minutes.

I asked Jonathan how he was doing and he said he felt better. He looked very pale. Eric let him take a sip of water, but I told him to wait 30-60 minutes (the pediatrician always tells us to wait this long before any liquids). A couple of minutes after the sip of water, Jonathan lost it again. This time it got all over the carpet though. We didn’t have anything with us to clean it up, so I called Maintenance and explained the situation. While we were waiting, Jonathan threw up one more time. I felt so bad for him. Within 10 minutes, someone came to our room and cleaned everything…the carpet and the bathroom.

Jonathan seemed fine at this point, and his color was actually returning. He looked much better and said he felt fine. He got into his PJs and went right to sleep. We didn’t know what caused this, but thought it might be from all the exhaustion from such a long hot day at MK, despite all the water he drank that day. I was VERY nervous that this was a virus and we would all catch it since we were in such close quarters and all sharing the same bathroom. We had a week left at WDW and I was so scared we would all be sick one after the other. :scared1: Fortunately that did not happen but the ride home was a doosy…I will explain that when I get to that part of the trip though.

So, we had a very fun day at MK, a nice dinner at California Grill, but the rest of the evening was crazy and really scared me because of my phobia. I hate it that I am scared of this…when it happens I feel like I am not as good a mother as I should be, but Eric reassures me that I am. I have no idea why I fear this so much, but for some reason I do and it makes me panic inside. Eric said that if Jonathan was still sick in the morning, he would stay with him in the villa and I should take Philip to Epcot. I told Eric that I would get up extra early so I could get a bagel for Jonathan so he would have something plain to eat in the morning if he was hungry. We decided to keep him off dairy for a couple of days too. Thank goodness after this everyone was fine though.

Next up…an Epcot EMH morning. And Jonathan was fine, thank goodness! Stay tuned… :happytv:

Wow I had a lot of catching up to do, and I was only gone for two days!

How long would you say the bus trip is from BWV to MK? About 30 minutes? And you pick up folks from the Swan and Dolphin every time correct? Just trying to plan ahead and see how long it takes to get to places. Also, is there only one bus stop at BWV or are there several?

Yikes can't believe that CM was willingly telling you how much she hated it there. :mad: I would be so annoyed. Obviously you're there on vacation because you love it, and here she is trying to dampen everything.

I've heard of emetophobia but have never known anyone to have it. Is it just fear of others vomiting or does that include you as well? Just curious, sorry if i'm being too nosey.

Love your trip report.

I didn't know that they fed the stingrays shrimp now. When we were there last they fed them squid.

Love the way you spent your off day!!

Can't wait to read more!

Wow I had a lot of catching up to do, and I was only gone for two days!

How long would you say the bus trip is from BWV to MK? About 30 minutes? And you pick up folks from the Swan and Dolphin every time correct? Just trying to plan ahead and see how long it takes to get to places. Also, is there only one bus stop at BWV or are there several?

Yikes can't believe that CM was willingly telling you how much she hated it there. :mad: I would be so annoyed. Obviously you're there on vacation because you love it, and here she is trying to dampen everything.

I've heard of emetophobia but have never known anyone to have it. Is it just fear of others vomiting or does that include you as well? Just curious, sorry if i'm being too nosey.

I would say the bus ride itself from BWV to MK is about 15-20 minutes. Of course, that does not include waiting for the bus to pull out once you get on it, or walking back to your room. There is one bank of elevators at BWV so the walk to our room was pretty long. A lot of people complain about that but we don't mind it at all. In fact, our room was right across from the bus stop and there was a staircase very close to the room, so many times we just took that down or up. Of course sometimes we were tired so we took the elevator up when we returned.

Now that I think about it, I am remembering the bus differently...the guests at the Swan/Dolphin were already on the bus when we got on. And we stopped at BWV straight from MK. I don't know if it is always like this though. But Swan/Dolphin are very close to BWV and it really only adds a few minutes (I think I was remembering it from the DTD bus).

At BWV there is one bus stop where all the buses stop. There are benches to wait, and they are covered, but it's not a huge area. At the values the bus service is very organized, in that I remember a specific line (similar to the style of lines at attractions at the parks) for each bus, with a sign for the destination at each bus's own stop. So if you got there first, you were first on the bus unless there was a guest with a wheelchair or ECV who had to board first. At BWV (and the other deluxes I think), it's whoever gets to the bus first once it pulls up. This bothers some people but it doesn't bother us. It's the same as the NYC buses and trains...you just kind of wait around and just get on when the bus/train arrives, so we are used to it being that way I guess. I don't find it to be a big deal. Plus, there are no buses from BWV to DHS or Epcot because of the boat and walkways, so that right there eliminates 2 buses vs. the value resorts. Not sure how they do it at the mods, never stayed in one.

Emetophobia can vary...sometimes a person is afraid of vomiting themselves, sometimes they are afraid of only being around others who are vomiting, and sometimes both. I apparently am afraid of both. :( I panic inside if I think anyone is throwing up, I get nervous if my kids start coughing at night (sometimes they cough from their seasonal allergies), and I get nervous if I have a really bad stomach ache and think I might throw up. If someone throws up around me, I automatically assume it's a virus and I am going to catch it. Crazy that I'm a mother of 2 AND a teacher, huh?! :confused: That's because I may be very cautious at times, I may get nervous and scared at times, but I also won't let it rule my life and stop me from doing certain things. I was certainly not going to let this phobia stop me from having children because I love children, and I love teaching so I would never let it stop me from doing what I love for a living. Fortunately I teach high school so the kids don't get sick in the classroom just like that as often as small children might. In fact, Philip threw up on his teacher when he was in pre-school one afternoon and she handled it very calmly. I told her I didn't know how she did it, and she was so kind and sweet, and very gentle with him. I was amazed that she was still smiling.

And don't worry, it's not too personal for me. It actually helps me to talk about it and express it. I'm not ashamed of it. I know other people with other fears, that could also affect how they take care of their kids, like a fear of blood and not being able to handle average childhood wounds. I have no problem with those, just if they throw up. It is very hard to hide it when it happens, but I try my best for the sake of my kids because I don't want them to be afraid like I am.

The weird thing is that I hardly ever throw up (knock wood!) and apparently that is common among people with emetophobia too. I went through 2 pregnancies without throwing up once, and can probably count on both hands how many times I have thrown up my whole life (knock wood again!). However, the odd time that I do, I panic beforehand but I am ecstatic afterwards that I "got through it".

Love your trip report.

I didn't know that they fed the stingrays shrimp now. When we were there last they fed them squid.

Love the way you spent your off day!!

Can't wait to read more!

Thank you! :)

You're the second person to tell me that the stingrays weren't fed shrimp when you were at Sea World. Maybe they feed them something different depending on the day? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter