No more Splash Mountain during evening EMH

Unless they turn back time, that ship's already sailed. IMHO the 1st one was nothing more than "Dances With Wolves" with a CGI overlay.

Fern Gully... Dances with Wolves was fairly good.

There is a fair point to say that the plot of Avatar was pretty much every going native plotline. And it definitely had issues, but the goal of the movie wasn't really so much the writing.

When the original plans for FLE came out it was no doubt girl favored, but they got rid of the fairies in exchange for a gender neutral circus, got rid of the silly Sleeping Beauty slumber party, and now all they are really adding is two items from what are considered by many to be modern disney classics in Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. Along with an eventual mini-roller coaster based on another classic.

I can understand the perception that the parks are favored towards little girls, however I think it is just perception. I think there is more there, you just have to look harder because the princesses are constantly on the surface. And one of the things I like about disney is that it is not universal. When I go to other parks I am a bystander and I wait while my family rides all the thrill rides. When we go to disney I actually get to ride and enjoy things like the Tiki room with the whole family.

You forgot Phineas & Ferb. That was a genuine character addition that is gender neutral/boy oriented.

I don't get the FLE expansion is for girls argument at all. They replaced one princess attraction with an attraction centered around the male characters from her film, moved the former Storytime with Belle and the Little Mermaid meet & greet to more elaborate locations, replaced/expanded the gender neutral Toontown into an equally gender neutral Storybook Circus. In the end, the only "girl" thing being added is the Little Mermaid ride. Everything else princessy about the expansion existed before the project began. As far as I can tell, most of the "Disney World is for girls" reasoning begins and ends in the gift shops, where Princesses and Fairies are EVERYWHERE. But when it comes to actual attractions there's just no logic to it - one Princess meal in Epcot, nothing girly at all at Animal Kingdom, two shows at Studios, and part of one land at the Magic Kingdom.

The problem is that everything that appeals to boys (including THREE MK lands - wild west, adventure, and outer space are all traditionally "boy" interests) is considered gender neutral, so anything at all that appeals primarily to girls is viewed as tipping the scales in their favor.

General increased expenses is a valid reason (not excuse) to raise resort rates, although I truly don't recall what I paid for Moderate rooms back in the 90s. Nobody gets this irate when other businesses raise prices or change procedures/policies. It's truly interesting to read the different standard to which people hold Disney.

Not a whole lot of businesses manage Disney's level of price increases, though. From '05 to '12, the rack rate of a room at the Poly has just about doubled. Aside from gas I can't think of anything off the top of my head that has posted that sort of price increase over a comparable timeframe. So yeah, I'm a bit more sensitive to the perception of getting less for my money there than I am regarding most of my other 'luxury' purchases.

ireland_nicole said:
Fire 14, you are correct I that the swolfin is usually (though not always) a bit more than the values. However, it usually runs a little less than moderates with the nurses discount and has a deluxe location and amenities

Wait, wait, there's a nurses discount I don't know about? Please Ireland Nicole tell more

The problem is that everything that appeals to boys (including THREE MK lands - wild west, adventure, and outer space are all traditionally "boy" interests) is considered gender neutral, so anything at all that appeals primarily to girls is viewed as tipping the scales in their favor.

Because girls can and do participate in all those activities. Girls interested in wild west, adventure and outer space, it is not not being pregnant in a kitchen anymore. However, boys do not wear princess dresses and any time something princess related comes out, boys are left out.

Does anyone think that the new area in AK Is going to be free to build? That and the almost free to operateTiki compared to SM.

Disney will use any excuse-perhaps reasoning or justification is a better word? to raise their prices. I don't mean internally, everyone knows why they really raise the prices, in order to benefit the shareholders. No, I refer to how they justify the increase to their guests.

Oh people become irate whenever a business raises it's prices, no one is ever happy when prices are higher, however I feel Disney fans are very loyal, and extremely passionate so whatever Disney does, fans react emotionally. Which is why I don't find it surprising when people defend vehemently whatever Disney does, even when it goes against their own best interests.

Pulled out my travel diary. We were there for a week in June 2001 with a group of 21 people (family reunion) and it was packed, and then again for 10 days in July (over the 4th) 2002 with a group of 11, also busy.

I was not there immediately after Sept 11 but that is the time you are referring to and I don't think that time can be considered representative of the popularity of E ticket nights. That was nothing normal about the extraordinary circumstances during that time.

Waltgirl

Inflation and overall increased costs are valid reasons (not excuses) as far as I'm concerned.

In 2002, Value rooms were $77 to $124. In 2007, Value rooms (not suites) ranged from $79 to $137. This year, they range from $94 to $194.
In 2002, Moderate rooms were $133 to $219. In 2007, Moderate rooms ranged from $139 to 205. In 2012, the range is $159 to $314 (I think - I can't see the pirate room prices on the itouch). The top price for the non-themed rooms is $289.
Deluxe rooms, of course, are tougher. In 2002, they ranged from $234 to about $800. 2007 rates ranged from $205 to $890. Current rates are $265 to about $900 (again, standard rooms).

2002 and 2007 rates are courtesy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World; current rates are from wdwinfo.com.

Busy is relative. Air travel dropped off sharply - extremely so - in the months following 9/11. Airlines dropped prices and offered deals; hotels closed wings or floors and reduced amenities. I left Orlando September 8 and had a weeks-long disagreement with someone who arrived on the 21st and had a terrible time at the same hotel I'd greatly enjoyed just two weeks earlier.

One of Walt Disney World's responses to the plummet in tourism was to eliminate E-Ticket Nights.

I am super disapointed. DS was just talking tonight in the car on the way home tonight about how much he loves going on SM at night and looking over at the castle to see how it looks all lit up. It is his favorite ride. We will be there next week. I don't dare tell him or DH about this. Hoping it is not true :(

Unless they turn back time, that ship's already sailed. IMHO the 1st one was nothing more than "Dances With Wolves" with a CGI overlay.

Agreed, but I like to think of it as Pocahontas in the 24th-and-a-half Century.

I am really disappointed with this EMH business.

First they shorten the hours to 2 and now they take away Splash Mountain and replace it with the Tiki Room! Not too happy with this move. Dh and I absolutely love Splash at night and love the 3rd hour of the extended evening.

This pretty much sealed the deal with us to not attend evening EMH anymore. :(

I will say that Splash is a less than ideal ride to be on at 1 am in December. From experience.

But bummer trade off, looks like Space Mountain will be king of the wee hours.

I agree it is less than ideal but during the Christmas crowds it was the last ride we did during EMH just before leaving the park. Were we cold, yes, but the day was done. This has been our strategy for the past 4 years and I am really really disappointed that it is being removed. To be replaced by the Tiki room is a joke. From what I have seen, the Tiki Room is never crowded even at peak times.

The idea of EMH should be to allow those staying on site the convenience of going on the popular rides with less lines. I hope that the decision makers at Disney change their mind and bring Splash back during EMH.

One of Walt Disney World's responses to the plummet in tourism was to eliminate E-Ticket Nights.

I remember that. And their solution was to bus some characters to the resorts for meet and greet. Because they said the main reason guests went to E Ticket was to see the characters.

I remember that. And their solution was to bus some characters to the resorts for meet and greet. Because they said the main reason guests went to E Ticket was to see the characters.

That must have changed by 2011. You know.... when they eliminated characters from EMH.... because people went for the rides. ;)

The Character Caravan to the resorts, their answer to the huge dropoff in park attendance post 9/11, ended in the fall of 2002.

There are no characters anymore at emh's? I always enjoyed the characters at the E-nights.

The Character Caravan to the resorts, their answer to the huge dropoff in park attendance post 9/11, ended in the fall of 2002.

There are no characters anymore at emh's? I always enjoyed the characters at the E-nights.

Not at PM EMH's.

All I can say at this point is that DCA can keep Carsland! Over on the Disneyland board I've been trying to plan my next trip, and the brains that run Disneyland Resort will have made it so you can only visit for 5 days, unless you are willing to start your tickets over again or buy a AP :(.

They know we love it, and they think they've got us. That we will pay hundreds more for 2 additional days. Many like myself who live overseas want to stay 10 days at DLR now that they've fixed up DCA. Can't reasonably do that though, now and I'm sitting here just amazed really. I mean the CM's are actually telling people to go to Knotts or the beach!

At first I thought, oh this ticket is to combat the ticket "renting" fraud that is going on but now I believe it's just about making more money off of those who are their biggest fans, those of us who don't want to live without their Disney "fix". DCA cost a heck of a lot refurbish, and the Disneylanders seem to be paying for it.

I'm afraid they will do something similar at WDW if they go ahead with the amazing refurb they are planning for the Studios is what I'm trying to say...That taking Splash from the EMH is one of the first steps to lessening the experience in order to pay for the big ticket additions.

For me, removing Splash, even if I don't ride it, just seeing all the happy screaming people going down the drop at night during EMH...it just so wrong. It'll look so odd all dead and still and it makes me a little sad really.

I am not reading the whole thread, so was there actually some sort of official explanation why they decided to do it? I highly doubt that TR is so popular to include it, so why exactly they decided it to close SM.

Really?

Not that I miss them as I do not go to emh. Always thought they had characters.

Not any more, which is part of the theory some people have come up with where Disney is systematically making EMH less desirable in order to justify eliminating it. Cut characters, then cut a third of the time, then cut e-ticket rides... If they make it less & less fun, so that less & less people attend, then they can say "well attendance is dropping so we'll just cancel it".

That's the theory I've seen bandied about, anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter