No more room keys or park tickets to keep up with - enter Magicband

How will this work when you purchAse tickets on your own? We aways get 10 day non expiring and use them over a few trips and we dont purchase them from Disney. Im wondering if the 10 day non expiring will be phased out. If so I would love to purchse 4 more before I can no longer buy them.

I read somewhere yesterday they are no longer selling non-expiring tickets, due to FP+.

I would point you to which thread it was, but there are so many, I can't remember. :laughing:

kaligal said:
Wristbands are not my thing. I assume these can be Putin a pocket or purse and taken out as needed? Are they going to be thin and flexible, so that they don't feel uncomfortable in my pocket?

They are not small like the silicone "cause bracelets". There were pictures posted in the other threads, and I posted a video last night that shows it. I will try to link to it.

I read somewhere yesterday they are no longer selling non-expiring tickets, due to FP+.

I would point you to which thread it was, but there are so many, I can't remember. :laughing:

:lmao: I can't remember which one it was either. But I remember reading that. I think they said that option is gone on the WDW website.

I think if that's what I wanted, I'd be calling UT to see if they have any left. Because pretty soon it looks like they won't.

Just went on the new, "improved" website and there is no longer an option for non expiring tickets. I spoke with a ticket CM day before yesterday and they jsut beat around the bush when I asked, said that "tickets can only be upgraded at the park" yada, yada, yada even though that wasn't my question. Guess they figured out that people had discovered a way to save a little money. Seriously rethinking a trip I booked Sunday. feeling more and more like a sheep being led around...

I'm trying to figure out how you charge things to your room and just what would an annual pass look like.
Will staff people carry a wand that they wave over your bracelet when you want to charge a meal ?!? I certainly don't want to hand over my band ...
Will the band carry any ID info printed on it so we can take a picture of it in case it gets lost like we currently do with tickets ...

Somehow I fee like the bands will be MORE anonymous than current media of tickets and room keys.

How sensitive will these bands be? Remember when swipe cards first came out, people were being charged when they walked past a sensor.

I'm trying to figure out how you charge things to your room and just what would an annual pass look like.
Will staff people carry a wand that they wave over your bracelet when you want to charge a meal ?!? I certainly don't want to hand over my band ...
Will the band carry any ID info printed on it so we can take a picture of it in case it gets lost like we currently do with tickets ...

Somehow I fee like the bands will be MORE anonymous than current media of tickets and room keys.

How sensitive will these bands be? Remember when swipe cards first came out, people were being charged when they walked past a sensor.

good points. Our stay a few says ago at AKL with the RFID cards was a fiasco. Cards had to be replaced four times because this or that was left off or shut off unexpectedly. I felt like I truly was on a first name basis with the CMs manning the desk. We had RFID cards at CR in October that were just for the doors and they were okay, but the charging seems to be a big issue, half the time the scanner would not accept the card. I had purchased tickets at IG as we checked in at Dolphin and then moved to AKL and I wanted our kids to be able to go on to a park that morning so the only one with a ticket on the room card was hubby. The walk through turnstile worked okay for him but I saw a lot of people with room card tickets in the old lines. I cannot imagine the FP insanity with the bands, if there are still machines does one person take all band for a FP or do all people have to be present. Sheesh!

A reporter on a "local" TV station in Lancaster PA just returned from a trip to Disney and was talking about this "new idea". Sounds interesting, once they have all the bugs out of it.
We had annual passes when we lived in FL -- until August of 2012 -- and it will also be interesting to see how that all works.
;)

hoosll said:

You hold your band up to the pay device that is at the cash register/entry gate/fast pass location, etc
. Video here: http://m.nbcnews.com/travel/travelkit/disney-world-track-visitors-wireless-wristbands-1B7874882

If the sensitivity of these things is anything like the way the current room keys work then this won't be an issue. Last Nov we stayed at SSR and it had those new locks where you just held your card up to the lock. I wear a lanyard and made sure I had my room key placed on the outer edge of the little plastic card holder...it would NOT work unless I took it out of the plastic holder and actually placed the card against the lock. Now HOW in the world plastic that is less than one mil thick can stop the signal from reading I don't know but after that experience I wouldn't be worried at all using one of these wristbands.

As for AP holders (which I am), I imagine they will give you a new wristband on each trip. Any information that needed to be transferred could be carried over quite easily.

Finally, a voice of reason ;) RFID chips are just as benign as magnetic strips, and the bands will have less information readily available than the KTTW cards (also, you'll notice a lot faster if you've lost it!).

As for sit down dinners, they'll probably have portable scanners where you can review your receipt and tap/add tip right there (and you'll probably have an option of paperless/paper receipt, too). I've seen a number of those types of things in the wild. I love that idea, too - most CC info is stolen at restaurants.

I believe the range is something like 1mm, so you really do have to tap it to the sensor.

I love the idea, as an adult, but how will my 1 year old wear a wristband? As long as parents can wear the band instead of the child I'm sold on the idea. I do understand why people don't like the wristbands, sensory or allergy issues, but in concept I think its a great idea, in theory at least.

I love the idea, as an adult, but how will my 1 year old wear a wristband? As long as parents can wear the band instead of the child I'm sold on the idea. I do understand why people don't like the wristbands, sensory or allergy issues, but in concept I think its a great idea, in theory at least.

One year olds (and 2 year olds, and 6 month olds, etc...) are "free" at WDW... aren't they??? I think it would be age 3 and up that would have to wear them. Didn't I read on this thread you can also choose not to wear it and have a card instead. If worried about your child wearing one choose for him/her to have a ticket card instead.

I know this is probably a silly question, but does anyone know if they will be waterproof?? I would want to go into the pool without worrying about taking it off if it's going to be my room key. :confused3

Abharmagic said:
One year olds (and 2 year olds, and 6 month olds, etc...) are "free" at WDW... aren't they??? I think it would be age 3 and up that would have to wear them. Didn't I read on this thread you can also choose not to wear it and have a card instead. If worried about your child wearing one choose for him/her to have a ticket card instead.

While under two is free they probably have to have some count for fire code and capacity issues.

The band seems like a good idea, but I am one of the people who would prefer the card.

I know this is probably a silly question, but does anyone know if they will be waterproof?? I would want to go into the pool without worrying about taking it off if it's going to be my room key. :confused3

Pretty sure they will be. Most RFID things are plastic or encased in plastic.

I'm not sure, but I think I might like it. I usually keep my card on my lanyard, along with my FPs, ID, and a gift card if I have one. However, it's sometimes a pain to get in and out of the little pouch to get my card out for FP. I wouldn't want to WEAR that bracelet all week, but if I could clip it onto my belt loop or backpack, that would be good.

(FP+ is a whole different creature. I don't think I like THAT at all.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter