NO MORE free valet parking for DVC members.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So how far are the self-parking lots from each of the DVC resorts?

How about at AKL - Jambo. We are staying there in January and thought about driving to the parks some of the time.

I agree that WDW will have to re-designate some of the valet spaces to be self-park.

Also: What is the email and snail mail addresses to member complaints?

IMHO it's not that far. Not nearly as far as BWV. I guess it all depends on where you get your parking spot. Drop off everything or everyone at the front door and then go park.

Sigh--yes, I mean the DVC WDW Discount! There is a different discount for DVC between the Florida APs and the California APs for the different theme parks.

ETA: So, my prediction is that the WDW DVC discount will be reduced commensurate with the discount on annual passes for Disneyland.
I hope you're wrong. We don't use the DVC AP discount, for reasons already explained, but it's a great perk for the vast majority of DVC owners.

I think DVC better be careful with their treatment of DVC owners or pretty soon they are going to have a LOT of people responding to the "Shoudl I buy DVC" threads with emphatic negatives. I've been avoiding those threads, because I don't really think I would recommend DVC to most people who post those threads, but a lot of negative responses on the DIS could hurt them.

After all, is it really fair to have all members paying for a service that only some utilize? Yes, if the agreement allows them to obtain a very attractive favored rate...but the benefit dwindles as the rate rises.
Tim--as someone else pointed out, there are lots of services that DVC offers that not all members utilize--for example, I never go in the game arcade and (cough cough) will likely not use the fitness facilities. To single out valet parking as something that could be eliminated makes just as much sense as singling out the play areas--I don't have kids, I don't use them--why do I have to pay for them? Another alternative--which apparently is too complicated for DVC to consider--is to offer valet parking to members who do want to use it at a greatly discounted rate--maybe $5 a day--or $25 for the stay. That would subsidize the outsourcing without gouging DVC members. But to impose the same valet parking charge that CRO reservations pays seems unfair to me and just one more indication of how DVC fails to appreciate DVC members.

But I will not valet at those prices...b/c it would easily go to $15 a day for me - assuming I am only in and out one time a day -

Or more. Valet parking at the Grand Californian hotel/DVC is $17 a day currently. (Unless it's gone up in the past week and no one has bothered to tell us.)

I hope you're wrong. We don't use the DVC AP discount, for reasons already explained, but it's a great perk for the vast majority of DVC owners.

I think DVC better be careful with their treatment of DVC owners or pretty soon they are going to have a LOT of people responding to the "Shoudl I buy DVC" threads with emphatic negatives. I've been avoiding those threads, because I don't really think I would recommend DVC to most people who post those threads, but a lot of negative responses on the DIS could hurt them.

Well, all I can do is relate a conversation I had with a DVC person. This person said that after the attacks of 9/11, when the parks were empty, Disney did a survey to see who was still coming to the parks--the answer? Annual passholders and DVC members. It was at that point that Disney apparently decided to grow the DVC membership since it knew that was the way to keep its parks filled--since those people were a captive audience and would keep coming back year after year. Similarly, what incentive would Disney have to continue the AP discount for DVC members since it knows that those people are going to be at its resorts anyway--how many really won't visit the parks for at least part of their trip? (I know there are some--but probably not a great percentage.) I could see the annual passholder discount for Florida residents continuing because there's no guarantee that those people will come back if the price increases greatly--but I can see some bean-counter at DVC/Disney deciding that DVC members and guests will keep coming even without the DVC annual pass discount.

And Jim--I agree with you. When I first bought/used my membership in 2008 I had a much higher opinion of DVC than I do now and cannot whole-heartedly suggest that people buy. I can't imagine being a long-term owner and the amount of disappointment I would feel at some of the changes.

Considering any cost for valet would only be reflected in dues for resorts in which valet applied, the service would be available for any member staying at one of those resorts.

Some people never use the gym at a DVC resort, the pool, some the room amenities or internet, but they pay for these items in their dues, valet is no different.
Maybe, maybe not. Every resort system struggles with which costs to share among all owners and which costs to do as pay to play. Same could be said for the pool, play areas, etc. While I understand at being upset about a loss of benefits, valet parking is one that is reasonable to have pay to play. I'm sure some see it as a symptom of a problem rather than a problem itself and I could see that point of view.

The question is why do member services cm's open their mouths before an official announcement? This seems to happen with CRO cm's too. In my job, when there is advance notice of an announcement, we will be told when we can talk about it outside the company. I know better than to tell a customer something before the company announces it.
It sounds like they told the CM to start to communicate this issue and not a case of passing on random info. One could quibble with the method, timing or short notice but in effect this sounds like it is the official announcement. I suspect you'll see it change on the website soon but it does seem to be very short notice.

Maybe, maybe not. Every resort system struggles with which costs to share among all owners and which costs to do as pay to play. Same could be said for the pool, play areas, etc. While I understand at being upset about a loss of benefits, valet parking is one that is reasonable to have pay to play. I'm sure some see it as a symptom of a problem rather than a problem itself and I could see that point of view.

Internet access per day is close to the valet rate in terms of CRO, that's no different. I'm sure if you look at percentages, usage is not that much different for DVC guests using this feature daily and valet.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So how far are the self-parking lots from each of the DVC resorts?

How about at AKL - Jambo. We are staying there in January and thought about driving to the parks some of the time.

I agree that WDW will have to re-designate some of the valet spaces to be self-park.

Also: What is the email and snail mail addresses to member complaints?
I haven't been to AKV to answer that resort specifically BUT

OKW and SSR - you park at your building...
BCV, VWL are pretty close - close enough that there were days I just parked.

Haven't been to BLT yet....

BWV is the only resort that makes me really mad...the parking situation is a mess and enough for me to pick another resort...

I think that is all of them

I think there's a big difference in that the AP discount has no cost to the members. IF Disney decides to stop it, it stops, if not it simply continues just like any restaurant discount. The valet parking is different in that there are real costs and contracts involved and real $$$. This is not simply a no brainer, no cost perk like most of them are. It's like that one of two things have happened. Either a clause currently in the contract has kicked in raising costs or they have been negotiating a new contract, either way DVC likely either had to front $$$ or institute pay to play.

Internet access per day is close to the valet rate in terms of CRO, that's no different. I'm sure if you look at percentages, usage is not that much different for DVC guests using this feature daily and valet.
I doubt it but if you look in terms of dollars instead of number the internet shared costs is likely a small percentage of the valet costs. Just look at the valet lots compared to the self parking lots.

Well, the change goes into effect tomorrow - why wouldn't MS tell people about it? Isn't it better that they told some people today than not say anything and truly spring it on people? (Not that telling some people means virtually all near-term guests won't be caught off guard by this change...) When is the official announcement going to come?

They should have sent an e-mail out. We got that goofy Deevy last week.

I disagree. Internet service is almost universally used by resort guests these days. Between laptop computers, iPhones and the like, a high percentage of resort guests are using the Internet service.

The same cannot be said for valet parking. Many people use DME. Others choose to use the self-park lots (we're BWV owners and are still about 50/50 on valet vs. self park).

If DVC obtained a favored rate of, say, $3-5 dollars per member vehicle parked, that is a sizable discount which may warrant running the costs thru member dues.

But if the valet parking organization is demanding $10-12 per vehicle, there's really no reason to do it as a dues pass-through. Let those who use the service actually pay for it.

I disagree. Internet service is almost universally used by resort guests these days. Between laptop computers, iPhones and the like, a high percentage of resort guests are using the Internet service.

I still doubt as many people outside of DIS use internet as much as one thinks at the resort. I barely used it myself, I have a Blackberry and can do pretty much everything I'd want from that, only twice did I need to actually connect to the internet and it didn't work the first time I tried to connect due to a bad outlet. The bad outlet reinforces the idea that it's not used as much as people think, otherwise, the problem would be less prevelant because the issues would be caught more frequently (it is common that many people report connection issues on DIS that need to be fixed by a tech in the room).

For me this is another "little thing/perk" that just leaves that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, wondering what other things will/could be taken away. When I really think about it, yes, the convenience of the valet parking is worth it, especially at my home resort, BWV.But the way we find out about this is just plain bad communication.....most of us have email addresses, how easy is that. I am checking into the BWV on Oct 15, if I hadn't been here on the DIS and found out about the charge, I would have been very ticked off to find out when I got my bill!!

For me this is another "little thing/perk" that just leaves that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, wondering what other things will/could be taken away. When I really think about it, yes, the convenience of the valet parking is worth it, especially at my home resort, BWV.But the way we find out about this is just plain bad communication.....most of us have email addresses, how easy is that. I am checking into the BWV on Oct 15, if I hadn't been here on the DIS and found out about the charge, I would have been very ticked off to find out when I got my bill!!

And if I were you, or anyone checking in sometime in the near future, and had yet to recieve any official communication from DVC, I would plead ignorance when I checked in.

Just waiting for the first non-member who rented a reservation from a member to come back and complain that they didn't get free valet parking and they had DVC Member on their room ID.

I still doubt as many people outside of DIS use internet as much as one thinks at the resort. I barely used it myself, I have a Blackberry and can do pretty much everything I'd want from that, only twice did I need to actually connect to the internet and it didn't work the first time I tried to connect due to a bad outlet. The bad outlet reinforces the idea that it's not used as much as people think, otherwise, the problem would be less prevelant because the issues would be caught more frequently (it is common that many people report connection issues on DIS that need to be fixed by a tech in the room).
The exact numbers don't matter, suffices to say it's used by a significant portion of the guests. The main reason hotels and resorts do it for free is it's dirt cheap to do so. OTOH, valet parking is not cheap to offer. And that is the crux of the matter IMO. It's not a question of if there's a cost but rather who is going to pay for it. It is one that's reasonable to pass on to those that use it rather than adding it to the cost for everyone. That doesn't necessarily mean the reverse decision is unreasonable, we simply don't have the information to make an informed decision, only a philosophical or emotional one.

Just waiting for the first non-member who rented a reservation from a member to come back and complain that they didn't get free valet parking and they had DVC Member on their room ID.
Given the specifics of the decisions and communications it would not be a reasonable complaint unless included in a rental agreement. People can complain if they want, they do it all the time often for little or no reason, we see it hear all the time.

Tim--as someone else pointed out, there are lots of services that DVC offers that not all members utilize--for example, I never go in the game arcade and (cough cough) will likely not use the fitness facilities. To single out valet parking as something that could be eliminated makes just as much sense as singling out the play areas--I don't have kids, I don't use them--why do I have to pay for them?

But one of the two things you mention (video arcade) IS pay-for-play. And there are other resort services which are not complimentary. There are fees for renting surrey bikes and watercraft at resorts which offer them. There are fees for childcare centers. There are fees for many of the Community Hall activities and things special tours like the AKV safaris. You have to pay for golf despite the fact that the LBV course winds through SSR and OKW.

All of those resort amenities COULD be subsidized by annual dues and freely-available to members. But I shutter to think how much each of us may end up paying for services we never use.

Really the only resort amenity that I feel is guaranteed to be included is access to resort pools.

Some hotels/timeshares charge for fitness club access. Going back about 3-4 years, even Disney resorts charged guests to use the workout rooms while DVC members were given free access as a member perk.

Free Internet is becoming more and more commonplace in the hospitality industry, but I was among those who was very surprised when DVC members received "free" access. I say "free" because there's no chance that the service is actually free--instead we are paying for it in our dues and the negotiated rate is certainly less than $9.95 per room, per day.

I'm curious to see what sort of statement DVC will make regarding the change. Given Disney's reluctance to release details, I doubt we will get much info.

If this really was a contract issue with the parking vendor, then I suspect they acted responsibly. Free parking is still available at each resort and it doesn't make sense to keep piling fees into the member dues when the greater good is not served.

Just logged into the "always up-to-date" DVC website, valet parking at BWV is still listed under Member Perks!!

They should have sent an e-mail out. We got that goofy Deevy last week.

Exactly, it is by far one of my pet peeves with them. They flood me with crap, like that, mailings for referrals, addons, etc. but let it be about a significant change to the membership and we get the info here, never from them.

There is no way they did not know this was coming and could have easily emailed the membership and put up a notice on the website letting us know the change was coming.

Someone earlier asked for the email for member satisfaction:

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

Let those who use the service actually pay for it.

But one of the two things you mention (video arcade) IS pay-for-play. And there are other resort services which are not complimentary. There are fees for renting surrey bikes and watercraft at resorts which offer them. There are fees for childcare centers. There are fees for many of the Community Hall activities and things special tours like the AKV safaris. You have to pay for golf despite the fact that the LBV course winds through SSR and OKW.

I totally agree--let's let those who use it pay for it. I'll have to go back and look at the member docs to see if the pools are "guaranteed." If not--let's charge a day use for those who use them. the video arcade--having never used them I didn't know there was a fee--but I'm sure the cost per game doesn't justify the use of space that could be used for something else. Let's do away with the aforementioned play areas--or keep them and impose a per child fee.

Now keep in mind I don't really think it is appropriate or expected to have a fee for usage of all these amenities. But I also don't think it's fair that the valet parking perk is going away--but the other things remain.

What's next? Yes, a lot of people use DME and the busses to the parks but are we really guaranteed that those are going to be provided at a "free" cost? I don't think DVC has given us this right. What is going to happen when they start imposing a fee to ride the busses to the parks? With CRO reservations they can just raise the cost per room and say it's included--if our dues go up too much there will be screams--so impose a daily per person fee. I don't believe that DVC didn't have alternatives with respect to valet parking. That's what I take issue with--they can send out emails about silly things like "name the premium club" but they can't send out a survey really asking members what is important to them as members? Like valet parking. Or real glasses in studios. No, they pretend that they care by asking us about stupid things and just go off and make decisions that impact our membership on the important things.

And, just so everyone knows--I have a handicapped tag so I will continue to get "free" valet parking irregardless of the changes. My issue isn't with this particular change--it's with the fact that DVC keeps eating away at the perks --and yes, I know we can't depend on them. But Disney also has a responsibliity to DVC members who help sustain it during the hard times and like Jim mentioned above, if they keep making changes like this--and communicating them so poorly--many members will stop being the DVC advocates they have been in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter