No more expiration! Ugh!!!

Pete,

You and I know that it will take another couple of decades for them to nickel and dime before they see any significant pushback.

And as far as Uni goes...that's a great price.

Which of course means that there is TROUBLE a brewing.

As expected - Harry potter is being forgotten quickly in pop culture - right on schedule..

And universal's attendance spike will slow and get back to equilibrium.

Wait for it...
That kinda deal is done to try and keep the ship upright...and not done so without cause.

There is undoubtedly some truth in your words. But Universal WAS offering residents surprisingly good deals even during Harry's first year, so I'm not 100% sold on the trouble angle, but point well taken. Of course they have Harry part two coming and the there's that pesky LOTR's rumor...

jamarmiller said:
obviously we look at things differently as I look at it like this...............
It's like going to a store, and buying a 12 pack of hamburger buns, and expecting to be able to use 6 now, and put the other 6 in the freezer for the next weekend . Discounts are offered for bulk purchases to use some time later.

When I go to Sams Club/Costco this is my thinking at least. There is no way I can eat the sizes they sell so I buy in bulk to save money and to use SOME OF IT NOW and SOME OF IT LATER

So yeah we are totally on opposite fences here LOLExactly. Choppity not to bright with his example here.:confused3

Actually he has a great example. People go and by 12 buns all the time. You take those twelve buns home, use 6 and freeze 6; that is true.

But you can't take Disney home with you. You are doing exactly what he said. You buy 10 days now, you use 5 days and expect Disney to have 5 days available for you when you want them. You can't take them home, you can't put them in your freezer. The expectation is that Disney will be open, have the capacity and staffing at any time that you wish to arrive.

That does not allow Disney to plan for capacity; to know what adequate staffing is required.

Anyone care to guess how many unexpired tickets there are out there?

Stacy

No Expiration tickets are still available for sale. You can request them at any Guest Relations location, and any Vacation Planning booth. They are, however, more than likely on their way out.

One thing to remember is that Walt Disney World is a business, with business policies and practices. One thing many people don't realize is that while Disney as a Company may be making good revenue, this may not be the case for Walt Disney World. As time progresses, it is becoming exponentially costly to run the place -- everything from roadways and power, to Buses an Monorails. Paint, audio, lighting, there are thousands of costs that play into the theme park business. Walt Disney World is unique because it is it's own city. It is the only tax-paying entity in the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Ergo, it pays for everything.

I'm not saying that Disney is going broke, but one can understand why No Expiration would go away. It's the same as buying 10 movie theater tickets to come back three years later. The theater looses money. Disney has no way to predict when you will use the tickets. The fee for No Expiration is a guestimate. Disney looses money on most No Expiration tickets.
Not to mention the option is very seldom purchased anymore.

I guess I'm one of the few who couldn't care less. I always thought they were a bit overpriced... of course I usually attend once yearly for 7-9 days when i go so the extra cost was not worth it... Now if they get rid of the DVC AP Discount, then I'm sure my anger will match those upset about the non-expiration option.

I wonder how good of a seller they were? I mean was it too popular or not popular enough.

I guess I'm one of the few who couldn't care less. I always thought they were a bit overpriced... of course I usually attend once yearly for 7-9 days when i go so the extra cost was not worth it... Now if they get rid of the DVC AP Discount, then I'm sure my anger will match those upset about the non-expiration option.

I wonder how good of a seller they were? I mean was it too popular or not popular enough.

I'm thinking they simply find it a PITA to have accomodate old tickets.

As for the dozen buns analogy, don't forget that Disney charged people extra for the option to use some days later in the future. A lot extra.

I still found it to be a bargain though since we could easily get 3 or more trips out of a 10 day w/WP non-exp. We have so many water park days remaining we may just take a water park trip in Sept. :cloud9:

Actually he has a great example. People go and by 12 buns all the time. You take those twelve buns home, use 6 and freeze 6; that is true.

But you can't take Disney home with you. You are doing exactly what he said. You buy 10 days now, you use 5 days and expect Disney to have 5 days available for you when you want them. You can't take them home, you can't put them in your freezer. The expectation is that Disney will be open, have the capacity and staffing at any time that you wish to arrive.

That does not allow Disney to plan for capacity; to know what adequate staffing is required.

Stacy

Quite honestly I have more than 100 tickets from 1955-1979 that are still good today and will be forever. Unfortunately these are worth more as collectibles, but I could easily use my duplicates. I found 2 play 4 day passes I bought years ago when I lived in Florida for $99 each that are no expiration as well. Since we own DVC and buy AP's we will never redeem them....well...never say never...

Stacy

That may well be....

But you have to believe that this is not about staffing, capacity, or strategic planning. In fact, there are so many tickets bought by so many people over such a period of time that the overall day to day impact is relatively small. I would venture to guess that the number of "no expiration" tickets used on a given day is nominal. And at times when it really does matter - insane redonkulous major holiday periods and early summer - the people that buy the no expiration are probably smart enough to stay away (which is the right move).

This move is a way to appease revenue...because they have escalated their ticket costs quite significantly over the last decade with little blow back.

So why give future credit for past purchase when you or I will show up and pay at the gate?

And we will...as their data shows them.

From Disney Web Page

tickets-1.jpg

We usually buy APs, but the NE tickets are great for our guests who do not go as often as we do. My DIL will be making 3 trips out of her 10-day NE ticket and still have many WP/DQ visits left.

On her first two trips, there were days she did not go into the parks or went to DTD or a waterpark instead, so it has been great for her.

. . . One thing many people don't realize is that while Disney as a Company may be making good revenue, this may not be the case for Walt Disney World . . . I'm not saying that Disney is going broke . . .

1) Disney World is the one ALWAYS shining part of Disney/ABC.
2) Movies and TV may waiver, but the parks are the BIG cash cow.
3) This is well illustrated in the Annual Reports.
4) Thus, this is NOT the reason to abolish non-expire.
5) ADDED PROFIT is the sole reason.

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Disney World is the one ALWAYS shining part of Disney/ABC.
2) Movies and TV may waiver, but the parks are the BIG cash cow.
3) This is well illustrated in the Annual Reports.
4) Thus, this is NOT the reason to abolish non-expire.
5) ADDED PROFIT is the sole reason.

1. Along with ESPN and Pixar, the most lucrative components of Disney...Tokyo would be too but that is owned and operated by a third party operator (majority)
2. Yes...specifically WDW...which rakes profits on a whole other plane than the other parks.
3. Yes in the billions annually
4.not at all...the tickets didnt "hurt" them...they just don't yield as much revenue over time.
5. See all the above...yes times 1000

I'm not saying that Disney is going broke, but one can understand why No Expiration would go away. It's the same as buying 10 movie theater tickets to come back three years later. The theater looses money. Disney has no way to predict when you will use the tickets. The fee for No Expiration is a guestimate. Disney looses money on most No Expiration tickets.

Not to mention the option is very seldom purchased anymore.

No, it's not the same. As was pointed out be another poster, Disney charged for the no expiration option. And if they still lost money on the deal as you claim, there was nothing to stop them from charging more. Isn't that what they always do? Evaluate pricing and adjust as needed? No reason that couldn't apply here, so clearly there is some other reason they are doing away with them.

We always used the 10 day park hopper no expiration to add days at Disney World before a DCL cruise. The last time we did that the tickets lasted for 3 cruises. Won't be doing the Disney World thing anymore I guess.

Stacy

None of that holds water.

On the "buns" analogy, you aren't charged a premium to buy buns and freeze them later. Disney does charge for the no expiration option, and is free to raise that price if they feel it necessary, just like all their other prices.

But even more importantly, Disney sells all kinds of tickets online and over the phone, and they have no idea when you will actually come and activate them. They base staffing and other attendance related decisions on their attendance projections, not outstanding ticket projections.

Finally, the idea that Disney loses money if you hold your ticket is poppycock as well. Yes, their prices do go up over time, but if you don't use your ticket Disney also has access to your money until you do use it. Essentially, you are giving Disney an interest free loan until you use your ticket. Plus, you just might lose your ticket, or just forget about it. Then they keep your money for nothing

None of that holds water.
Finally, the idea that Disney loses money if you hold your ticket is poppycock as well. Yes, their prices do go up over time, but if you don't use your ticket Disney also has access to your money until you do use it. Essentially, you are giving Disney an interest free loan until you use your ticket. Plus, you just might lose your ticket, or just forget about it. Then they keep your money for nothing

This is true, Disney charges a big premium for no expiration. I think that it is similar to the Visa Gift and Rebate Cards that many companies use now instead of cash rebates that we used to get for buying certain products. They know that all of the amount on the gift card wont be used so more money in the bank for them. I still have one day left on one of our tickets but no clue where it is.

I liked the olden days when all WDW tickets had no expiration date. In fact, I'd like Disney to make all tickets like this without the upcharge. But now it's not even going to be an option?

jperrot1 said:
I liked the olden days when all WDW tickets had no expiration date. In fact, I'd like Disney to make all tickets like this without the upcharge. But now it's not even going to be an option?

my mom has a ticket from 1987 she'll be using next year. they made no money off her lol

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards

Ok, who said they don't want to have a non-expiring ticket on the survey??? Fess up now!

Sorry but what was I supposed to do when the survey asked:

Instead of buying theme park tickets with the no-expire option for future magically magical experiences in our theme parks, would you rather:

a. not be able to enter the theme parks at all
b. pay a rapacious rate for tickets that expire 4 hours after you buy them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter