No more cheese sauce for QSR locations

That's so sad! My mom and I always have to stop by Pecos on every trip for those cheese fries! It's a bit of a tradition for us:worried:

Really? Some of you are blaming the DDP for this? I totally agree that taking away the liquid cheese is a cost cutting measure designed to save Disney a few pennies and make the stock holders a little happier, but quit blaming the DDP every time Disney makes a change to the dining opportunities. The DDP doesn't actually save anyone much money, its basically convenience and unless you actually spend time planning then you may actually be paying more for the DDP than you would be paying OOP. As for the "free" DDP package, people were dumping gallons of free cheese sauce on their fries long before they started paying extra for overpriced hotel rooms so that they could eat "free".
We done the "free" DDP and have also paid for it, we have spend hours looking at meal prices and it has never actually saved much money and dunking my bacon cheeseburger in a glob of free liquid cheese isn't going to change that. Yes I do agree that some of the options that have disappeared from the menus of higher priced restaurants probably IS due to the DDP, but I seriously doubt that vanishing cheese goo is.
In the interest of Full Disclosure; I do like having the DDP for the convenience and even though it isn't saving me much or any money, I wouldn't eat at place like Narcossee's and Yachtsman's without it, psychologically its easier for me to use the 2 credits than pay the cash, even if its cost me the same amount. LOL

Last edited:
Sadly I gave up on the Casey's hot dogs when they decided to change them from all beef, but at least I could still imbibe in some delicious fries covered in cheese.

What a travesty.

Really? Some of you are blaming the DDP for this?

The decision to remove the cheese sauce entirely was absolutely effected by the DDP. Cost was the major factor; but, DDP obviously played a role. They still may decide to charge OOP for cheese sauce; but, you won't see them passing it out for free like nugget sauces because that would still cause a cost problem (way more than BBQ or honey mustard). If they charge OOP for the sauce; how does that fit into the QS dining plan? Is it a side? Sorry, no fries for you. You ordered a delicious steaming cup of liquid cheese. Is it a snack as a PP suggested (I assume that was sarcastic)? So, now you are hit with both a QS and a snack credit in one meal. That's not going to make a lot of people happy and blatantly shows less value in the DDP than there used to be. People could pay OOP for the side of cheese sauce; but, that defeats the convenience argument of the QS DDP and again shows less value. The easiest and most cost effective thing to do is just not offer cheese sauce anymore.

I honestly don't think it's a cost cutting measure. So do the math here. I 7 lb. can of Cheez Whiz (which is a fair comparison for cheese sauce) retail price is about $15. So let's do a high estimate and say WDW goes through 70 lbs of cheese sauce a day (it's probably not even close to that number). So that brings us to roughly $150/day on cheese sauce. Multiply that by 365 and you get $54,750 in cheese sauce a year. I'm sorry but for that low of a cost (and that is a very high estimate), I can't see how that would matter to WDW's bottom line considering the numbers they bring in. That's pennies to their bottom line.

It's a sad, sad day for cheese. Casey's mini corn dogs and french fries dipped in gooey plastic cheese will be sorely missed. :sad:

I honestly don't think it's a cost cutting measure. So do the math here. I 7 lb. can of Cheez Whiz (which is a fair comparison for cheese sauce) retail price is about $15. So let's do a high estimate and say WDW goes through 70 lbs of cheese sauce a day (it's probably not even close to that number). So that brings us to roughly $150/day on cheese sauce. Multiply that by 365 and you get $54,750 in cheese sauce a year. I'm sorry but for that low of a cost (and that is a very high estimate), I can't see how that would matter to WDW's bottom line considering the numbers they bring in. That's pennies to their bottom line.

Well if we are going to compare, I think you need a reasonable comparison. You say 10 7# cans a day at $15.00 each. Is that for a "Park" or a Restaurant?

I can see a single PLACE using 10 cans a day. I worked a High School Concession stand for football games and each game we are open about 3 - 4 hours and we can typically go through 4 - 6 cans PLUS we thin it out with water (not to be cheap but it's easier to dispense in a quicker fashion).

So based on that I can see a stand Like Casey's going through 15 cans a day as they sell Nachos there too as I recall. That's also assuming that the employees are controlling the cheese distributed as opposed to the unfettered access and gluttony of people going crazy with it.

On the flip side, I can buy a can of cheese from Sam's club for $7.00 and I am sure Disney buying in bulk is probably paying less. Let's say they use the 15 cans at $5.00 each, that's $75.00 a day. Times this by 365 days that's $27,375 for ONE location (not the park).

While you are right, it probably wouldn't be much on the overall bottom line of the Millions that WDW pulls in every year, it will add up. PLUS that amount might be the cost of a JOB for someone at the park. This is just looking at one (possible) stand. Add up all the locations and it can get much higher much quicker.

I have no doubt it's a cost measure. I don't believe it's a result of something with the DDP. It might be coupled with a law suit but I highly doubt it.I suspect it will still be used, but it will be kept behind the counter and can be served upon demand (in controlled portions).

Just my 2 cents.

The decision to remove the cheese sauce entirely was absolutely effected by the DDP. Cost was the major factor; but, DDP obviously played a role. They still may decide to charge OOP for cheese sauce; but, you won't see them passing it out for free like nugget sauces because that would still cause a cost problem (way more than BBQ or honey mustard). If they charge OOP for the sauce; how does that fit into the QS dining plan? Is it a side? Sorry, no fries for you. You ordered a delicious steaming cup of liquid cheese. Is it a snack as a PP suggested (I assume that was sarcastic)? So, now you are hit with both a QS and a snack credit in one meal. That's not going to make a lot of people happy and blatantly shows less value in the DDP than there used to be. People could pay OOP for the side of cheese sauce; but, that defeats the convenience argument of the QS DDP and again shows less value. The easiest and most cost effective thing to do is just not offer cheese sauce anymore.

Sorry, not buying it, although you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. As for not seeing them passing it out like nugget sauces, they used to charge (cash or snack credit) for a container cheese when you bought a pretzel, but I am seeing reports now that they ARE giving you a container of cheese with your pretzel purchase (cash or Snack credit) so why wouldn't that carry over to your purchase of a meal or a side of fries. I can totally see them giving out a container of cheese sauce with your meal or snack for the simple reason that the wastage is a lot less if they supply you with a premeasured amount as opposed to people filling up their cardboard fry container and leaving a large cold congealed amount uneaten.

In my opinion the decision to remove the cheese sauce is absolutely NOT effected by the DDP to any major degree, because in no way is Disney losing money with the DDP. Assuming that the decision is not a result of the burned child issue, it is totally a decision based on the overall bottom line in the number crunchers journey to save pennies where ever they can. Besides, the majority, I will even say vast majority of people that visit WDW aren't even using the dining plan.

Well if we are going to compare, I think you need a reasonable comparison. You say 10 7# cans a day at $15.00 each. Is that for a "Park" or a Restaurant?

I loved your breakdown. And that is a lot of cheese to go through. I was think of just the self service areas and for the park as a whole. But I still think it's a fairly small cost overall. If it was a true cost cutting measure I think we'd see a few other things getting cut as well.

Sorry, not buying it, although you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. As for not seeing them passing it out like nugget sauces, they used to charge (cash or snack credit) for a container cheese when you bought a pretzel, but I am seeing reports now that they ARE giving you a container of cheese with your pretzel purchase (cash or Snack credit) so why wouldn't that carry over to your purchase of a meal or a side of fries. I can totally see them giving out a container of cheese sauce with your meal or snack for the simple reason that the wastage is a lot less if they supply you with a premeasured amount as opposed to people filling up their cardboard fry container and leaving a large cold congealed amount uneaten.

In my opinion the decision to remove the cheese sauce is absolutely NOT effected by the DDP to any major degree, because in no way is Disney losing money with the DDP. Assuming that the decision is not a result of the burned child issue, it is totally a decision based on the overall bottom line in the number crunchers journey to save pennies where ever they can. Besides, the majority, I will even say vast majority of people that visit WDW aren't even using the dining plan.

Hey, Disney is all about fantasy and make believe. You're entitled to your opinion and fantasies. If you want to believe the disappearance of the cheese sauce isn't connected to DDP then I say; more power to ya. The fact remains if if it was merely a cost issue they could charge OOP for the sauce. If it's handed out for free in pre-portioned cups there is still waste; maybe even more. Not everyone wants the same amount. For every guest that abused the cheese on the condiment bar there was 100 that used the appropriate amount or less. The QS DDP is more complex than a single item like pretzels or nachos. The DDP has similarities to a buffet. If the price increases on a single food item on a buffet the restaurant only has a few options: take the item off the menu, raise the price of the whole buffet for a single item, or absorb the extra cost and lose profit. OOP doesn't have that problem as the price can be adjusted for each item. Yes, it's a minuscule amount of liquid cheese; but, if that small amount over time didn't have an effect they wouldn't be eliminating it.

Hey, Disney is all about fantasy and make believe. You're entitled to your opinion and fantasies. If you want to believe the disappearance of the cheese sauce isn't connected to DDP then I say; more power to ya. The fact remains if if it was merely a cost issue they could charge OOP for the sauce. If it's handed out for free in pre-portioned cups there is still waste; maybe even more. Not everyone wants the same amount. For every guest that abused the cheese on the condiment bar there was 100 that used the appropriate amount or less. The QS DDP is more complex than a single item like pretzels or nachos. The DDP has similarities to a buffet. If the price increases on a single food item on a buffet the restaurant only has a few options: take the item off the menu, raise the price of the whole buffet for a single item, or absorb the extra cost and lose profit. OOP doesn't have that problem as the price can be adjusted for each item. Yes, it's a minuscule amount of liquid cheese; but, if that small amount over time didn't have an effect they wouldn't be eliminating it.

Well, way to take a civilized discussion of differing opinions and turn it into insult slinging, the tactic of losers everywhere, well done.

Just my 2 cents...
If it's a "health" thing: seriously, everything in moderation. I've seen more nutritionists and dietitians than I want to admit and they've all said this. By restricting, it only sets people up for compensating with other things (I actually just wrote a research paper on this).
If it's $: Disney, first and foremost is a business. Why do you think the minimum wage college program kids get so many more hours than everyone else? Yes, they are going to make decisions that reflect this.
If it's safety: Honestly, Disney can't trust parents to watch their own kids, because they just don't. When people check in, their minds check out. For real. It's Disney= I'm safe= so is my kid and nothing bad can happen. I've witness this A LOT.
Whatever the case, hopefully all you cheese lovers (I'm not in that crowd but hey to each his own) will still be able to get your cheese somehow and hopefully at minimal or no cost. If not, contact guest relations and give them your feedback. Please don't take it out on the poor CPs or CMs working at Caseys, etc. 10 I'ts not effective because they can't do anything about it and 2) They may not pass it on to someone else.
Last thought: Something has to pay for all this construction going on, right? :idea:

Well, way to take a civilized discussion of differing opinions and turn it into insult slinging, the tactic of losers everywhere, well done.

Not sure if you are the pot or kettle on that one... since you think pool hopping is a better explanation.

Disney is great. I can see why some people might like the DDP. That doesn't justify putting your head in pixie dust and pretending the DDP doesn't harm food service quality in big and small ways. From overall lack of quality in offerings and ingredients to loosing popular food items as unhealthy and unappetizing as they may be to some people. No offense intended to people who like cheese sauce.

Last edited:

I can see a single PLACE using 10 cans a day. I worked a High School Concession stand for football games and each game we are open about 3 - 4 hours and we can typically go through 4 - 6 cans PLUS we thin it out with water (not to be cheap but it's easier to dispense in a quicker fashion).

So based on that I can see a stand Like Casey's going through 15 cans a day as they sell Nachos there too as I recall. That's also assuming that the employees are controlling the cheese distributed as opposed to the unfettered access and gluttony of people going crazy with it.

On the flip side, I can buy a can of cheese from Sam's club for $7.00 and I am sure Disney buying in bulk is probably paying less. Let's say they use the 15 cans at $5.00 each, that's $75.00 a day. Times this by 365 days that's $27,375 for ONE location (not the park).

While you are right, it probably wouldn't be much on the overall bottom line of the Millions that WDW pulls in every year, it will add up. PLUS that amount might be the cost of a JOB for someone at the park. This is just looking at one (possible) stand. Add up all the locations and it can get much higher much quicker.

I have no doubt it's a cost measure. I don't believe it's a result of something with the DDP. It might be coupled with a law suit but I highly doubt it.I suspect it will still be used, but it will be kept behind the counter and can be served upon demand (in controlled portions).

Just my 2 cents.

Sam's Club sells a cheese sauce in a #10 can for $7....it says a serving is 1/4 CUP.....that is a lot more than will fit in those little condiment cups so that serving size would account for all the hoarders of plastic cheese....there are 48 servings in that can....so that's 15 CENTS per quarter cup serving....so an ENTIRE CUP of cheese would be .45. Casey's is charging you $8 for a plain hot dog.....I think they've got a little profit built in to be able to afford to give me my .50 worth of cheese. And of course, that's MY pricing.....since I don't buy more than 1 of these cans at a time, I don't get a price break......I think it's safe to assume that Disney can buy it cheaper than I could.

I stopped eating at Casey's when they went from the delicious all beef dogs (which admittedly do cost a bit more than the turkey or whatever dog they're selling now)....but I can get 24 Nathan All Beef hot dogs for $9......about the same they charge for a SINGLE hot dog. Yep, they have facility, employee, equipment costs....but really 24 times cost is a bit of a profit margin.

Like so many things Disney is doing lately, it doesn't make sense to us, but it must make sense to someone else, because even insignificant things like plastic cheese don't get changed without a lot of people in management weighing the pros and cons of it. For those missing it....there is a Sam's Club on Irlo Bronson sells it for $7 for the large can. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter