• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No more cheese sauce for QSR locations

Funny this comes up now. People are grumbling at work because they started charging $2.25 for a (small-ish) side of pico de gallo or guacamole at the company cafeteria today.

I mean, I don't use cheese on my stuff, so I don't care... but I can TOTALLY understand why some would be upset. Nothing is better than grabbing fries and drenching them in cheese.... I'm more of a sweets person though.

Doesn't the old McDonalds cart next to Pecos Bill sell specialty fries now including cheese fries?

I mean, I don't use cheese on my stuff, so I don't care... but I can TOTALLY understand why some would be upset. Nothing is better than grabbing fries and drenching them in cheese.... I'm more of a sweets person though.

I don't either...not saying I haven;t done it. But it's always a shame for a person when a favorite food or activity disappear from park. I can understand that, most of my favorite little things at WDW disappeared long ago. Thankfully, Disneyland holds firmer to tradition.

I'm voting for the "healthy" dining option and/or the money part of it, that took the "cheese" away. No restaurant management would be privy to the actual reason, and no one who knows it would tell a manager.

Unless the manager had seen multiple issues with the hot "cheese", in which case, it probably wasn't safe to be there anyway.

If she did burn herself on the cheese, I would take care of it. Cool it. Maybe wrap it up and possibly Tylenol for pain. Not Sue Disney.

I really like the other stuff you said. And it's not like I'm saying I don't like the quoted part, BUT, should anything ever happen, be *careful* what you say at the ER. If for example she fell while playing at the neighbor's, and you don't want to get the neighbors sued, just say she fell. Period. Because for incidents where the insurance company thinks someone else might be at fault, you'll get a letter from your health insurance company asking more about the incident. Where it happened, what happened, etc. If you say "she fell at the neighbor's house", it will go down an abyss of problems, and the neighbor will end up being sued by you on behalf of the insurance company (or something like that).

The two times we got letters like that...one was for a burn and one was for a fall. Both of them were totally DS's and our faults. The second one happened AT Target, but it wasn't Target's fault. (unless we wanted to make a change that had them not tether mittens together, because THAT is what caused him to not be able to break his fall) So we were very very careful in our wording with that one, and for the burn it just happened at home, toddler "helping" dad with dinner, ugh.

I could tell they REALLY wanted those incidents to be the fault of others, so they didn't have to pay it directly.

I can tell you actually KNOW about the McD's thing, and I thank you sincerely for that. So easy to just "know" the sound bite, without knowing that the elderly woman originally just wanted medical bills for the *skin grafts* she got to have on her groin area from spilling coffee in her lap...coffee that was meant to be drunk. And that McD's was *known* for having coffee that was hotter than the standard and it wasn't the only time they had gotten in trouble for it. (and the fact that no one knows what the settlement actually was, apart from the lawyers involved, her family, and court personnel...we know what the jury said, but we don't know what money actually crossed hands)

That would cut down on these nonsense suits.

You know the courts DO have a system to weed out the nonsense. Not everything goes to court. Suits do have to have merit to move on in the court system.

Maybe they will just charge for it and put it behind the counter. Most places that sell cheese for fries/pretzels and such charge extra for it.

Aww c'mon! That was one of our favorite things about Pecos Bill's. Fries with cheese.... yum. That's really disappointing. First the taco salad, now the cheese. Boo.

People don't watch kids I can't even tell you how many times when i'm working and in the parks as a guest I've told kids to back up and not mess with the hot items/get it for them. A lot of people don't seem to understand Disney magic won't save you from unsafe choices.

This. So true. It's Disney, right? Of course it's ok to let your 2 yr old wander off or walk along a 5 foot tall ledge. Its amazing certain kids ever reach adulthood given what I've witness working the parks.

I can tell you actually KNOW about the McD's thing, and I thank you sincerely for that. So easy to just "know" the sound bite, without knowing that the elderly woman originally just wanted medical bills for the *skin grafts* she got to have on her groin area from spilling coffee in her lap...coffee that was meant to be drunk. And that McD's was *known* for having coffee that was hotter than the standard and it wasn't the only time they had gotten in trouble for it. (and the fact that no one knows what the settlement actually was, apart from the lawyers involved, her family, and court personnel...we know what the jury said, but we don't know what money actually crossed hands)
I do know the story behind it. I think that's part of the reason I feel the way I do about some of these things. I think "Business" needs to ALSO do the right thing as well. In that Case McD didn't and they probably should have. Even now, if I get a coffee at any of these places, I have to ask for them to put some ice in it to bring it down to "Drinking" temperature. Their logic was that most people buy it to take to work and drink it there. While this may be true, many people also like to start enjoying on their way to work. Also what about the guy who works 1 block away from McDs? (Although I don't often go to McDs for multiple reasons, I work in a large building with McD one block away). For those who know the true story, McD should have done the right thing and covered the medical bills and it probably would have been over. Apparently though, It might be construed as admitting "Guilt" and we can't possibly have that now, can we. (This is where the "Sarcasm font comes in play). :)

The most obvious answer is usually the correct one... This has nothing to do with safety, or health consciousness, or lawsuit settlements. It's all about cost and the dining plan. The problem is very few other places consider cheese sauce a condiment. Go to any other fast food place and you will almost always be charged extra for cheese sauce (basically it's a menu item on its own). The cheese sauce is easily the most expensive item on the condiment bar and likely cost about as much as the rest of the condiments on the bar combined. Disney doesn't want cheese sauce to be considered a condiment, and it doesn't really fit into the QS dining plan. We may see new menu items added that include cheese sauce; but, it would be unlikely to be sold on its own. This is just another example of how the dining plan has contributed to the steady decline in the quality and value of food service options at WDW.

I do know the story behind it. I think that's part of the reason I feel the way I do about some of these things. I think "Business" needs to ALSO do the right thing as well. In that Case McD didn't and they probably should have. Even now, if I get a coffee at any of these places, I have to ask for them to put some ice in it to bring it down to "Drinking" temperature. Their logic was that most people buy it to take to work and drink it there. While this may be true, many people also like to start enjoying on their way to work. Also what about the guy who works 1 block away from McDs? (Although I don't often go to McDs for multiple reasons, I work in a large building with McD one block away). For those who know the true story, McD should have done the right thing and covered the medical bills and it probably would have been over. Apparently though, It might be construed as admitting "Guilt" and we can't possibly have that now, can we. (This is where the "Sarcasm font comes in play). :)

I'm a defense lawyer, so I'm naughty for saying this, but I was glad someone posted the real story about the McD's hot coffee suit. Settlement offers can be structured in a way that there's no admission of guilt, so there wasn't really an excuse for how that case was handled other than poor judgment.

I'm personally not a fan of cheese sauce, so I won't miss it -- but I'm always sad when things that were perks for others get taken away. Having worked at Disney and knowing all of the health rules that come into play, I do wonder if there was also a concern with the need to monitor the temperature of the sauce, change it at regular intervals, etc. that was part of the "cost" taken into account in the decision to eliminate it.

They still have chili cheese fries at Cosmic Ray's, so I'm thinking this is not for health reasons. And that lawsuit was so long ago, you figure it was settled by now. Maybe it's a cost cutting measure or maybe you'll just have to ask for a cup of cheese when you get your food and it will be included similar to a barbecue sauce or honey mustard packet when kids get chicken nuggets.

If it's a hot/heat issue (which I'm doubting.. probably cost savings...) why not just switch to cold cheese sauce? That stuff is delicious!
I hope they keep it around.... because i'm taking my first WDW trip in a couple weeks and now I really want some cheese fries lol

Im sure it will be back on the menu soon with a price of .$99 per cup,or a snack credit!

I've never been to WDW so I'm honestly surprised all these places had/have toppings bars. I remember when some fast food burger places had them around here but that was YEARRRSSSSSS ago. I love them so much but can see why they wouldn't want to deal with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter