nikon d40 upgrade

kyliem

Earning My Ears
6 years ago i purchased my wife a nikon d-40. We are heading to disney in a few months and i was thinking of getting her a new camera for her birthday. She likes the d40 alot but i figured there has been some major improvements in cameras in the last six years. I see now you can shoot video which is really nice. Basically she shoot 90 percent of her pictures using the little dial with the different options landscape, portrait, action, and what ever else is on there. We bought the kit with the two different lenses and i know she does not like changing them out all the time. Been looking at the d5100 is it worth the upgrade for how she takes pictures? IF so is there a lens that i could get that would be good for all around shooting at disney. We are doing a bunch of character dining and she will want to take castle pics and stuff. Sorry i have no clue what im talking about. Turning to you guys for some help.

i dont think she changes and iso's and stuff like that she just takes the pics. But if i do get her the upgrade she is going to take a class and learn more about the camera and what it can do. ill take it with her too.

If it's worth the upgrade or not is really subjective. Given that she's essentially using her DSLR as a point and shoot, many would say go for a high end point and shoot and I tend to agree. Especially if she doesn't like to change lenses. There are some out now that would have greater ISO range (which gives you better pictures in low light) and more features than what the D40 has. However, if there are things she likes specifically about using a DSLR then I'd get her another DSLR.

I still use my d40. It is old, but I am waiting to upgrade (waiting to see what comes after the d300s). I keep getting new life out of th d40 by getting new glass. In your case, I would consider the 18-200mm lens which would eliminate her need to swap lenses. And for the price the 35mm is a steal.

18 200 lens seems to be the way to go with the d5100 if i can afford it. The d40 flash is broke so we got one that goes on top years ago so may be time to bite the bullet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter