Nightmare in Nassau

jendeli

Mouseketeer
Ok, so here it goes. We were in Nassau that day but decided to stay on the ship. After dinner my daughter who is 7 started complaining of pains in her stomach. We thought it was gas so my husband and I stayed in the room with her and watched movies while her brothers went to kids club. Well the pain got worse, my daughter was in the fetal position trembling in pain and then I noticed she was starting to spike a fever. I ran down to guest services where they put me on the phone with the ship's nurse. She told me bring her down to deck 1 medical to have her examined by the doctor. Well in the docs office they did a urinalysis on her and told us that she needed to be transfered to the local ER because it was looking like an appendicitis that could require surgery. I was told to "Get your passport, the ship leaves in 3 hours, so prepare to disembark." Wait......I dont have a passport, I am here on a birth certificate and ID! I was then told "They wont deny your daughter because she is a child, but it is ilegal for you to stay in this country without a passport." To which I responded, "I am not leaving my daughter." At that point I was fighting back tears. The port authority told me "For now, lets get to the ER and while you are there I will see what I can do for you." So he took us to the ER in Nassau. It was a little run down and a little dirty but the staff there was excellent. I then suffered the longest 3 hours of my life. I am an anxious person, so I dont handle things like this well. Especially because I had no way of communicating with my husband who was still on the boat with my 2 sons and would arrive at CC the next morning without us? And if we didn't get back on the boat in time, when would I talk to him again? In 3 days when the ship pulled back in port? Would he even know what was going on with his daughter? To top it off my daughter was crying, she was in pain, and she wanted to bad to get back on the ship. It was heartbreaking. Well, at this point in the story it starts to get better. Her appendix was fine. She had some other things going on that could be treated with antibiotics and we could get back on the ship. It was 119 am and the ship left at 2. I paced the floor, waiting and waiting for the doc to type the discharge papers. At 140 I was told that the port authority was out front waiting to take us back to the ship. At that point the man who takes care of insurance stopped me and said,"We need to settle up before you leave." AHHHH! So I quickly paid the bill, (which was more than the cost of the cruise) and holding my daughter, ran to the car that was waiting to take us back to the ship. We boarded the ship at 1:53, greeted by a very happy group of cast members, and were able to finish our vacation as a family. SIGH
So that's my story. I thought I'd share it here so if any of you are thinking of traveling without a passport, think again. It could happen to you.
I just want to add that the staff on the Dream was awesome, including the medical staff, before and after our little adventure. Oh, and check with your insurance before you travel outside the country. The hospital did not accept foreign insurance, so we are now waiting to see if we can be reimbursed.

oh my gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal! It's a good reminder, though, that passports are always a good idea! Thank God it all worked out!!!

Oh wow! I'm sure you and your family were VERY frightened!! It was a good thing you let a CM know you didn't have your passports with you! Glad to hear your little one didn't need surgery and hope you and your family had a great cruise!:D
Happy Sailing!
Jamie563

I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I'm so glad your dd is ok. We must have been on your same cruise last week. One CM said that they don't typically stay in Nassau until 2am, but they were doing it as a special treat for the CMs so they could have a night out. That timing worked perfectly for you! Good luck working things out with your insurance company!

Thank God everything turned out good for your daughter, I just couldn't imagine going thru that ordeal.

I appreciate you sharing this story because we never know what can happen.

As much of a nightmare as that sounds, you are so fortunate that your daughter did not need an appendectomy in Nassau. Count your blessings for that one.

Plus, you are so lucky to have gotten back to the ship on time. From what I understand it costs tens of thousands of dollars for a delay in getting the ship out of port on time. Having to cruise faster burns up a lot more fuel.

I am glad you daughter is OK and this story really has a happy ending, but I can imagine you must have been stressed out of your mind. :hug:

Yep, must have been the same cruise! There were about 200 CM's getting back on board when we got there. :)

Yes, we we're very lucky. It could have been much worse.
Thanks for all the well wishes. :) She is doing better, we have follow up appt tomorrow.

I'm so glad to hear it all turned out okay for you all and especially your precious daughter! :goodvibes. I can only imagine what you were going through and the anxiety you felt!

Take care,
Heather

Oh my, what an ordeal for you. Glad it all worked out. Did you have trip insurance? That is the main reason we always get it - in case of medical emergency. So yes, this is a perfect example as to why everyone should get passports and travel insurance.

Sorry to hear about your daughter not feeling well, though glad she was ok, and glad you got lucky with the boat staying till 2:00am like it does at times

So glad to hear everything turned out okay for you.

But now it got me thinking about something. If your daughter had needed surgery, would travel insurance have paid to have her flown back to say Miami for the surgery? And what form of payment did they accept; credit card?

Thanks for sharing this story. It pretty much defines the need for passports and travel insurance for those just in case moments such as yours and reiterates the fact that I will need to do so next cruise ahead.

I hope everything turns out well from this point forward. :)

I am so glad your daughter is ok and did not need surgery. Thank you for putting it online as a reminder as to why it is so important to get those passports. It's true it CAN happen.

Thanks for sharing this story. It pretty much defines the need for passports and travel insurance for those just in case moments such as yours and reiterates the fact that I will need to do so next cruise ahead.

I hope everything turns out well from this point forward. :)

Very glad that things worked out for the OP and her daughter! :goodvibes

And I absolutely agree with this post that I wouldn't cruise without a passport and travel insurance. I've never had any kind of travel insurance for the numerous Disney trips in my sig, but the risks of major financial impacts are so much greater on a cruise that I will always have trip insurance (with pre-existing conditions clause) in addition to passports for all members of my travelling party. Hopefully this real-life report with a fortunately happy ending will help others be better prepared. :thumbsup2

So glad everything worked out for you! Just an hour or so, my daughter and I were talking about passports - the expense, odds of not needing them etc. DH & I have passports, but our DD, SIL and 2 DGDs do not. After reading your story, yes before our upcoming cruise everyone in our party will have a passport! I can't imagine leaving one of our DGDs in port while we sail away!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter