News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third year of record attendance at Tokyo disneyland resort bringing in 31 million guests this year.

http://screamscape.com/html/tokyo_disneyland.htm

I remind you that their tickets in US dollars are about half the price of WDW tickets and they are routinely adding new things to their parks.
That's great news for the OLC! I'm impressed by that company for the sole reason that they have two theme parks both breaking the 12 million barrier so tightly packed together. No where else on the planet is quite like them in that respect.

I'm also really impressed by their Cap Ex program! I mean that Frozen Sing Along, update to an existing attraction, and new nighttime spectacular are really pushing the limits. Wait. That sounds like Disneyland...

Well I found it believable because they said they would take out the desks for more capacity. Disney loves adding capacity and cramming people in.

It was the most believable of the bunch that came through - honestly I believed it as well, only because it was almost too mundane for an April Fool's Joke.

The article says late 2015 to early 2016. I just don't see Disney turning around anything of significance in the time.

It depends on what's coming. I don't think a ride is likely but a new nighttime show could be. A lot of the work for that could be planning with minimal construction.

The article says late 2015 to early 2016. I just don't see Disney turning around anything of significance in the time.
I agree but Rees has reportedly been working on this for almost three years. If it's something techie for innoventions I could see them getting it done in that time.

It depends on what's coming. I don't think a ride is likely but a new nighttime show could be. A lot of the work for that could be planning with minimal construction.
Indeed, he also is the man behind some of Disney's film based attractions too. If this is in that caliber of experience much of the work could be done offsite. Install some projectors, sound, any interactive elements, along with some light themeing and you've got a theoretical quick turnaround. Note that he's been working on this project since at least 2013.

I'm having difficulties believing this is an outdoor event though. Why involve him when Disney has proven that they have a more then capable staff? I'm looking at Steve D in particular. I like the idea of this being an indoor attraction. It fits with the puzzle pieces better, especially because Disney is beginning a massive nighttime push at DAK. Why take momentum from the new project that already has much to prove?

WDWNT says a next gen larger than life attraction could be coming to epcot and open next year.

I don't get why everyone is thinking a replacement for Illuminations.

I haven't seen it brought up anywhere - but what about a new 3-D movie for the Imagination Pavilion. With them booting out Captain EO in both California and Florida, they won't keep the Tomorrowland preview more than late-May. They could easily do construction on the theater within a 9-12 month period to get it ready for a new show. This guy - Jerry Rees - most of his stuff revolves around films and shows, if you look at the things he's produced for Disney:

In addition to his film credits, Rees helped produce and direct a record-setting 13 multimedia features at the various Disney theme parks, including Sounds Dangerous at Disney-MGM Studios, the live-action sequences of Cranium Command at EPCOT, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! at Disney-MGM Studios, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney-MGM Studios and Walt Disney Studios Paris, Extra-Terrorestrial Alien Encounter at Magic Kingdom, Michael & Mickey at Disney-MGM Studios, and the new Cinemagique show at Walt Disney Studios Paris. Rees also directed the pre-ride film at Disney's Animal Kingdom ride Dinosaur.

He also recently did the "Marvel Experience" touring show, which was again a filmed entertainment with interaction from fans.

A new theater show could also easily fit the definition of:

"Next gen" : could use Magic Band info to communicate directly to members of the Audience, similar to Crush/Monsters Laugh Floor.
"Larger than life": Big Screen movie is by definition this.
"Interactive spectacle": Back to the first thing, again could be made interactive using computers and NEXT GEN technology. Taking people from the audience and interacting with them.

This could also be what might go into Innoventions.

No inside knowledge on my part - but it makes a lot more sense to me than Illuminations, which there is no reason to replace that.

I don't get why everyone is thinking a replacement for Illuminations.

I haven't seen it brought up anywhere - but what about a new 3-D movie for the Imagination Pavilion. With them booting out Captain EO in both California and Florida, they won't keep the Tomorrowland preview more than late-May. They could easily do construction on the theater within a 9-12 month period to get it ready for a new show. This guy - Jerry Rees - most of his stuff revolves around films and shows, if you look at the things he's produced for Disney:

He also recently did the "Marvel Experience" touring show, which was again a filmed entertainment with interaction from fans.

A new theater show could also easily fit the definition of:

"Next gen" : could use Magic Band info to communicate directly to members of the Audience, similar to Crush/Monsters Laugh Floor.
"Larger than life": Big Screen movie is by definition this.
"Interactive spectacle": Back to the first thing, again could be made interactive using computers and NEXT GEN technology. Taking people from the audience and interacting with them.

This could also be what might go into Innoventions.

No inside knowledge on my part - but it makes a lot more sense to me than Illuminations, which there is no reason to replace that.
I agree I don't think its illuminations. Now a new film in imagination is very possible. That or something in innoventions is where my money would be.

It just sounds like Illuminations to me. It makes the most sense for such a short turnaround. I seem to remember someone on here hinting that an Illuminations replacement was coming in the next year or two a month or so ago. I really hope this is something for WoL, Imagination, or Innovations, but I'm going to remain pessimistic. Then if I'm wrong, I'll be ecstatic.

Wishes first then Illuminations...remember that. Something absolutely drastic is going to have to happen before it swaps. On a cool note the Wishes replacement is still full steam ahead regardless of the news it gets. (Guess nobody feels like saying anything) If all holds budget wise we might have a pretty impressive show...like imagine the lasers of Once Upon a Time with the pyro of Wishes with the enhancement of Dreams...minus the fountains.

Wishes first then Illuminations...remember that. Something absolutely drastic is going to have to happen before it swaps. On a cool note the Wishes replacement is still full steam ahead regardless of the news it gets. (Guess nobody feels like saying anything) If all holds budget wise we might have a pretty impressive show...like imagine the lasers of Once Upon a Time with the pyro of Wishes with the enhancement of Dreams...minus the fountains.
Thanks! Sounds great. Keep any news you hear coming. Once the New Nighttime Spectacular comes do you think Memories will be phased out? I'm thinking the relevance there would be destroyed by this new mega show.

Last edited:
Thanks! Sounds great. Keep any news you hear coming. Once the New Nighttime Spectacular comes do you think Memories will be phased out? I'm thinking the relevance there would be destroyed by it this new mega show.
I've heard with a new show they do want to get rid of memories because they want to incorporate more projectors in the show so like a mix between the two.

The Jerry Rees Mystery project "rumor" has been going around for 2 years now.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mystery-project-at-epcot.862004/
Yeah, but strange things are happening now. With his self imposed deadline on the website fast approaching, on the backdrop of closings at Imagination and Innoventions things are starting to line up. Also the opening is going to take place alongside major changes to Norway, and of course the updates to Soarin' rolling out over 2016. It just seems like things are starting to get interesting at Epcot.

Yeah, but strange things are happening now. With his self imposed deadline on the website fast approaching, on the backdrop of closings at Imagination and Innoventions things are starting to line up. Also the opening is going to take place alongside major changes to Norway, and of course the updates to Soarin' rolling out over 2016. It just seems like things are starting to get interesting at Epcot.

Like it or not, Frozen in Norway is quite likely to cause a significant bump in attendance in that park, so it would also make sense that they might want to have some expanded capacity with other things as well. (More Soarin' theaters fits in this as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter