News Round Up 2016

When has one actor against green screen and cg backdrops ever worked?has it?

"Attack of the clowns" comes to mind

Definitely a great example of the grievous misuses of CGI, I'll agree. Jungle book just more promising to me, thats all. It appears to use live backgrounds, real locations. For example, 'Life of Pi' used a lot of CGI but I still found it a very good movie. I think that's a better comparison to Jungle Book than AOTC. Like you said, we'll see when it comes out. I'll be first in line to lampoon it if it's terrible - I'm just not willing to piss on it before it's even been released.

Well this restaurant hasn't been doing as well as some have hoped.

Well...the menu doesn't look good to me...but I haven been so I'll reserve.

And it IS magic kingdom...where the food isn't great but if you stick a character in it you have to beat people away with a rubber hose

Definitely a great example of the grievous misuses of CGI, I'll agree. Jungle book just more promising to me, thats all. It appears to use live backgrounds, real locations. For example, 'Life of Pi' used a lot of CGI but I still found it a very good movie. I think that's a better comparison to Jungle Book than AOTC. Like you said, we'll see when it comes out. I'll be first in line to lampoon it if it's terrible - I'm just not willing to piss on it before it's even been released.

I gave life of PI a "B"...I really liked the story but I didn't think they sold the story with the cgi.

And didn't they give best director for it?

Overall...Hollywood is pandering to a less informed audience for ticket sales...it had eroded quality. Just my take.

And if you want to get technical....it's not just Disney. Did a quick look, and 13 of the top 17 movies in 2015 and 15 of the top 17 movies in 2014 in the box office were non-original movies. Like it or not, seems to be either a trend or the way things are now.

That's how the industry operates nowadays. Hollywood is not interested in taking big risks because of the increasing marketing and production costs, especially when they know they can make billions with recycled plots (Force Awakens/Jurassic World) or poorly written action flicks (Fast and Furious/Transformers).

That's how the industry operates nowadays. Hollywood is not interested in taking big risks because of the increasing marketing and production costs, especially when they know they can make billions with recycled plots (Force Awakens/Jurassic World) or poorly written action flicks (Fast and Furious/Transformers).

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!

OTOH, because of our easy access to technology, a plethora of interesting more thought-provoking movies are being made all the time. Heck, I just watched a movie that's been garnering much critical acclaim and was shot entirely on an iPhone. I don't think it's that the quality's not there - it's just not coming out of the major studios for mass market consumption.

OTOH, because of our easy access to technology, a plethora of interesting more thought-provoking movies are being made all the time. Heck, I just watched a movie that's been garnering much critical acclaim and was shot entirely on an iPhone. I don't think it's that the quality's not there - it's just not coming out of the major studios for mass market consumption.

Those "thought provoking" movies substitute the human element for elaborate visuals.

Some people might think that's a less interesting movie

Those "thought provoking" movies substitute the human element for elaborate visuals.

Some people might think that's a less interesting movie

Of course - and they also don't have the attention span for it - which is why studios looking for many hundreds of millions in box office receipts are not releasing these films.

Well...the menu doesn't look good to me...but I haven been so I'll reserve.

And it IS magic kingdom...where the food isn't great but if you stick a character in it you have to beat people away with a rubber hose
I haven't heard a bad review of the place yet however the menu is much more exotic than other which for the magic kingdom I think is a good thing.

I haven't heard a bad review of the place yet however the menu is much more exotic than other which for the magic kingdom I think is a good thing.

Well...I'll agree that it's a little out of the ordinary...which is a deal killer for the refined palate mk clientele.

I like more "experimental"...I just don't like the specific choices on the menu from what I've seen. I'm sure I'll be there before too long...as of course it's the only place I haven't been on property along with Morimoto and they all fall before too long.

Well...I'll agree that it's a little out of the ordinary...which is a deal killer for the refined palate mk clientele.

I like more "experimental"...I just don't like the specific choices on the menu from what I've seen. I'm sure I'll be there before too long...as of course it's the only place I haven't been on property along with Morimoto and they all fall before too long.
I am not one for Asian cuisine much but I do want to eventually try Morimoto in some capacity. There are maybe two things I would eat on the canteen menu.

I am not one for Asian cuisine much but I do want to eventually try Morimoto in some capacity. There are maybe two things I would eat on the canteen menu.

I'm not impressed with the Morimoto menu either...

It looks to much like Chinese food to me...and that is not what he's known for. at a premium...of course.

I'm more for he hangar bar in my next stop...for sure.

Though that begs the bigger question: are there any restaurants going in there that aren't heavily overpriced - even more than normal? I think they may have difficulty overshooting the market...as they will have to rely on locals whether they like it or not.

There is NEVER a reason for having little desire for more Budweiser's... ;)

Not too derail but in my world there's never a good enough reason to HAVE a Budweiser.

And if you want to get technical....it's not just Disney. Did a quick look, and 13 of the top 17 movies in 2015 and 15 of the top 17 movies in 2014 in the box office were non-original movies. Like it or not, seems to be either a trend or the way things are now.

The facts are that theatergoers are more willing to spend their $10-20 (depending on where in the country you live) for safe, familiar spectacle than they are to risk it on something unfamiliar. The reason the top movies are sequels is because that's what people pay to see, so the studios make more of them, so then it's the only thing that people pay to see. It's why they crank out 2-3 marvel movies a year. Many of them are quite good and some are even great, but that hardly matters - they know people will line up and they bank half a billion worldwide for the worst of them. I'm sure the same thing for Star Wars - they know not every one will make $2 billion, but people will keep lining up when they are on the 20th one.

And really who can blame them, they are in the business of making money.

What I think is too bad is there seems very little space within the studios for the mid-level films. The problem with a film like Tomorrowland is it STILL costs the studios $200 million + marketing - but it's why I was rooting so hard for it. NOT because it was a theme-park movie. Original idea movies become fewer and far between. I wish they would have a branch where they make movies in the $75-100 million range, perhaps 2-3 per year with more original concepts. If one of the 3 hits and does $700 million, you've paid for the other two. They need these type of films to feed the franchise machine. What do you think the first Fast and Furious. Even the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie only had a $125 million budget. (I know - ONLY - but the others were $225-$300 million.)

Instead we get an Independence Day sequel no one wants and Now You See Me 2. (Which I will admit that the original Now You See Me is exactly the type of movie that they should make more of. It had a $75 million budget and made $350 million - thus the sequel.)

I ate at Morimoto's and honestly wasn't impressed. I'm sure it had to do with my husband's allergy and the fact that they basically served him 3 pieces on meat on a plate and tried to charge us 35 bucks for it. I was beyond pissed. But hey, YMMV.

I ate at Morimoto's and honestly wasn't impressed. I'm sure it had to do with my husband's allergy and the fact that they basically served him 3 pieces on meat on a plate and tried to charge us 35 bucks for it. I was beyond pissed. But hey, YMMV.
I've only seen a few reviews of this place. Allears liked it, Len Testa also like it, John from big fat panda did not so much.

That's crazy. As someone who has visited both versions of the park, I'm really happy to see how much this park has evolved in such a short amount of time. True, DCA 1.0 had many flaws and represented Disney at its worst, but now I can confidently say it is one of the best Disney theme parks out there. It has become a worthy successor to the gem that is Disneyland park right next door. Still has some work to do here and there, but overall it's a pretty solid gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter