NEWBIE "MAGIC BANDS" QUESTIONS & NEED HELP PLEASE......

knewton64

- May the luck of the Irish always be with you -
Morning -

I am a first time user of these "Magic Bands" and well, they do not appear to me to be so magical,:headache:

Here is what I am trying to get accomplished and some kind souls guidance here would be greatly appreciated as I just tried to book a Fantsasmic Dinner package yet it is asking for a credit card guarantee?????
Q: can I change the date of this to another date w/out financial penalty and if so, when is the latest I could do this??

Q: once booked per what you see below, can I make any changes as this is being booked or is it a situation, once you book - that's it unless you want to pay a penalty to cancel.

In short, what can I book now???? someone please help this idiot who just wants to have fun down in Orlando in 3,260 more hours but whose countin??

DAY ONE - APRIL 11th
Q: I am thinking of day one I am guessing I will be in the MK park around 2pm - thinking of having a QS meal at Caseys corner
but would like to try and hit up 3 of the sections of World Showcase at Epcot for dinner around say 5-7pm ish-
!)France
2) Germany
3) Italy
Is there such a thing as having "a nibble here and there" while at those countries??? Would I need to purchase one of those wrist band things (like at Epcot F&W) while visting World Showcase?? My overall objective on day one is like you suggested, have fun at Epcot tasting food and drink but how do I do this? Please advise. Do each of the above listed countries also have quick service food??
I am guessing, is thee such a thing as QS for two of the three places then TS for the third???
Also, what time is the Illinations Dessert Party??? What time are the Fireworks?? What time does the park usally close??
DAY TWO - APRIL 12th
------------
Q: What time does "pop and shop" at Pop Century usally open up?? I am thinking of having a quick bite to eat before heading off to Backstage Magic tour
. I am guessing I would be getting done around 7pm ish.............food suggestion - possibly "Beaches and Creme?" I have heard so much about it but never been there.....
or hmmmmmm............Table service suggestion please????? and or food and wine pairing meal??
Mabey Be our Guest restaurant?? Biergarten Restaurant??
hmmmm.....I may have something here - Ragland Road just jumped out a me////// QL what time do they normaly close??? How would I make ressies for this place?? but for what time??
DAY THREE - APRIL 13th
------------
Same a day two - is thee a place to get a quick bite to eat in am before VIP experience at Univ Studios??
ok.....I am guessing I will be back at hotel around 9 -1opm so I am guessing I will be limited in what to eat.....so say in room service??? Does Pop Century do this?? I am thinking here of a pizza and soda delivered to my room.... yes / no???? or do you have any other suggestions???
DAY FOUR - APRIL 14th - THURSDAY:thumbsup2
----------------
"How they feed the animals at Animal Kingdom tour"
and FANTASMIC DINNER PACKAGE FOR 5:20PM.
OK.......MY HEAD is starting to feel sensory overload but I can see that I would love to choose some sort of an afternoon place for Table service but where??? I am guessing I need to pick this back up at a later day say in 3 or so days........Epcot seems like a fun place to "finish checking ouit" say like Mexico, morocco but yes, I am open to suggestions.....
DAY FIVE - FRIDAY

---------------
1) WOULD LOVE "UNIDSCOVERED fUTURE WORLD AT EPCOT" TOUR
nice dinner at ??????? suggestions??? (like a Napa Rose):scratchin
2) and "L' EXPERIENCE; THE ULTINMATE WAY TO EXPERIENCE LA NUBA.

Departure DAY - APRIL 16th - SATURDAY:scared1:
----------------------------------------
Spa at Saratoga Springs
then
lunch at Dnwtown Disney.

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:wave2:

A. I am a first time user of these "Magic Bands" and well, they do not appear to me to be so magical,:headache:

Here is what I am trying to get accomplished and some kind souls guidance here would be greatly appreciated as I just tried to book a Fantsasmic Dinner package yet it is asking for a credit card guarantee?????
B: can I change the date of this to another date w/out financial penalty and if so, when is the latest I could do this??

C: once booked per what you see below, can I make any changes as this is being booked or is it a situation, once you book - that's it unless you want to pay a penalty to cancel.

D: In short, what can I book now???? someone please help this idiot who just wants to have fun down in Orlando in 3,260 more hours but whose countin??

A: The MagicBand is not involved in making reservations.
B: You can change Table Service reservations as late as the day before with no penalty.
C: You're credit card is not charged unless you don't show up for the reservation.
The only exception is for certain dinner show attractions, where you actually pay in advance, but even then, if you cancel in advance, your money is refunded.
D: You can book Table Service restaurants up to 60 days in advance of your arrival.
Again, MagicBands are not involved.

Last edited:
You can change any dinner reservation up until 24 hours before. Some are charged now, some are justheld with your card. ADRs are booked with your credit card, not MB.

Once your are on site, then you can charge purchases and meals to your room by your MB.

You can change any dinner reservation up until 24 hours before. Some are charged now, some are justheld with your card. ADRs are booked with your credit card, not MB.

Once your are on site, then you can charge purchases and meals to your room by your MB.

As Robo pointed out, you actually have until the end of the day before to cancel without being charged.

me again - thank you all for your patience as this has me stumped

- what has me concerned is what I have listed for all to see (my initial planning itiniary)
I don't even know if its do-ablle for the days I am trying to do, yet they want a credit card to book/reserve and I have multiple upon multiple things I am trying to do and see and I get a sinking feeling that there will be alteast one item that I will not be able to do on a certain day which will throw everything off thus I will be "refunded" in about 30-60 days my monies yet I have a Travel Agent who asked me if I can navigate thru Magic Band thingee and obviosuly I am failing and need or wondering if it is better to wait until 60 days out to book anything??? Suggestions please as I can obviosuly book Fantasmic Dinner package for day 4 but I dont know if I can book "How they feed the animals tour": that day and I also dont know if I can't, is Fantasmic refundable??? obviosuly you can tell I am frightened about the process of credit card guarantee-ing thse things and some kind help would be grealtly appreciated. In short, if someone can please offer me some tips on how to go about booking (say charatcer meet & greets), TS, QS, Dinner shows, Tours, etc and when I can book them thru this magic band thing that would be very helpful. - kris p.s.s. my TA is on vacation and wont be back for 10 days and well - how in the heck do all of you navigate thru this magic band process???? do you wait until 90 days out?? 60 days out, then book verything??? I can see that I can book ADR's , some character M&G's, but what do I do if something time conflicts when I begin to book other things??? again, I am concerned about my credit card beiing hit multiple times for no reason while all this gets sorted out......of is it a situation, 'kRIS..... chill out and let yer TA handle this?" just trying to use humor here as I am finding this to be very frustrating as I come from a background, "ya book a Disney tour and you do not have to mess with all of this." RRRRRRR!!! some help would be greatly appreciated and yes, thnak you for listening if this appears to be a rant."

- Kris

That's a fair point. I can see the prepaid ones being different. Are there others? I want to make sure I'm clear on this.

If memory serves correct, I believe any of the prepaid ones are 24 hours notice. We only did CRT and HDDR, so those are the two I know for sure.

me again - thank you all for your patience as this has me stumped

- what has me concerned is what I have listed for all to see (my initial planning itiniary)
I don't even know if its do-ablle for the days I am trying to do, yet they want a credit card to book/reserve and I have multiple upon multiple things I am trying to do and see and I get a sinking feeling that there will be alteast one item that I will not be able to do on a certain day which will throw everything off thus I will be "refunded" in about 30-60 days my monies yet I have a Travel Agent who asked me if I can navigate thru Magic Band thingee and obviosuly I am failing and need or wondering if it is better to wait until 60 days out to book anything??? Suggestions please as I can obviosuly book Fantasmic Dinner package for day 4 but I dont know if I can book "How they feed the animals tour": that day and I also dont know if I can't, is Fantasmic refundable??? obviosuly you can tell I am frightened about the process of credit card guarantee-ing thse things and some kind help would be grealtly appreciated. In short, if someone can please offer me some tips on how to go about booking (say charatcer meet & greets), TS, QS, Dinner shows, Tours, etc and when I can book them thru this magic band thing that would be very helpful. - kris p.s.s. my TA is on vacation and wont be back for 10 days and well - how in the heck do all of you navigate thru this magic band process???? do you wait until 90 days out?? 60 days out, then book verything??? I can see that I can book ADR's , some character M&G's, but what do I do if something time conflicts when I begin to book other things??? again, I am concerned about my credit card beiing hit multiple times for no reason while all this gets sorted out......of is it a situation, 'kRIS..... chill out and let yer TA handle this?" just trying to use humor here as I am finding this to be very frustrating as I come from a background, "ya book a Disney tour and you do not have to mess with all of this." RRRRRRR!!! some help would be greatly appreciated and yes, thnak you for listening if this appears to be a rant."

- Kris

1. Deep Breath. :)
2. When it says "credit card guaranteed", it doesn't mean they're charging you now. Only that they're taking your credit card to guarantee the reservation - which means if you don't show, your card will be charged. So, it's really not a big deal if you book it now and then have to change it or cancel it - as long as you cancel it before you miss it, lol.
3. For meals that are paid in full up front, you can still go in and change/cancel it, at any time, up to 24 hours beforehand, and you will receive an instant refund (meaning, refund is processed immediately, though it may take 3-5 business days to show up on your CC).
4. As others mentioned, your Magic Band has nothing to do with any of this right now. You will not need or touch your MB until you are in Disney.
5. IIRC, any tour you book is 100% refundable, as long as it is canceled 24 hours prior to your booked time.

I think you are trying to do way too much hopping from park to park. Plan on it taking an hour to get from one park to another using WDW transportation. Example: First day, if you aren't going to be able to make it to the MK until 2:00, no way will you be able to get more than one or two things done there before having to head over to Epcot. Epcot usually closes at 9:00 unless there's PM EMH, but I haven't pulled up the calendar for that day to see what the exact hours are.

We usually do not park hop. It takes up too much time.Try to rework your schedule so you are doing less bouncing from park to park.

It is very difficult (and, many times, futile) to try to plan someone else's multi-day itinerary.

Some broad suggestions to start with:

1. Check out a crowd prediction calendar, like at easywdw.com. Sketch out your which park/which day plans based on those recommendations (if you're doing an all day tour somewhere and not visiting the regular rides and attractions, this would be less important).
2. Try to limit hopping to 2 parks a day maximum, or not at all.
3. Allow yourself 1-2 hours for moving between parks, depending on which parks and what type of transportation you will be using.
4. Plan your meals for somewhere close to where you are, don't travel all the way to another park or hard-to-get to resort just for a meal.
5. Book your dining based on the ideas above.
6. Book your attraction FPs.

I just want to add that I think you have too many tours. You do realize just how much those cost, right? They are absolutely NOT necessary to enjoy the parks. In fact, for first time or infrequent visitors, I think they can detract from the experience, because they take too much park touring time.

Vicki_c has given you some valuable advice. You need to take a deep breath, slow down, and concentrate on one thing at a time. Forget the magic band. It has nothing to do with your vacation planning. You will book everything thru your MDE ( My Disney Experience) account.

Get your daily itinerary planned first. As recommended, look at the crowd calendars like easywdw.com to figure out which park you will visit each day. Curb your impulse to do too many tours. You're paying a huge amount of money for them on top of your park tickets, and leaving no time to actually see the rides and attractions in the parks. And limit yourself to only one or 2 parks per day. Allow a minimum of an hour to go from one park to another.

When you book your tours, make a note of the cancellation policy, if you think there is a chance you won't show up. Don't make an ADR within an hour of the estimated end of a tour, to allow for the tour running long. You should be able to book most tours now. Some may not be able to be booked until later. If you have trouble booking a tour, call the tour number for help.

You can make ADRs for any TS restaurant now. As mentioned, your credit card will not be charged as long as you cancel your ADR within 24 hours. If it is a dinner show or CRT, it is a prepaid meal, but if you cancel in a timely manner, the price will be refunded. The Fantasmic package is not prepaid. If you are already worried about needing to cancel at the last minute, consider making different meal plans instead, such as just eating at a CS restaurant. CS restaurants dont require an ADR or a CC guarantee.You can find the operating hours for any restaurant, as well as menus here:, using the Restaurant Search tool:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm

You can make ADRs for any WDW TS restaurant on the WDW dining reservation site. Allow 60-90 minutes for any regular TS meal. Allow 2 hours for any dinner show or signature meal. Use those time estimates when planning your day. Don't waste needless time touring one park and then going to another park just to eat.

After you've planned each park day, booked your tours, and made your ADRs, THEN think about any FPs you want to make for each day. Those are booked at 60 days out, on your MDE account. They are free- you don't need a CC to book FPs. Read the first post on this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/fa...ed-priorities-and-strategies-part-ii.3326057/

to help plan your FPs for M&Gs and rides/shows.

Once you've done that, you can ask specific questions about dining, tours, or resorts on the appropriate forum. It doesn't have to be complicated if you just take things one step at a time.

I don't even know if its do-ablle for the days I am trying to do, yet they want a credit card to book/reserve

They just want the number. That's all. Unless you're doing something like Cinderella's Royal Table, where they charge you up front, the CC guarantees just keep the number on file.

I have multiple upon multiple things I am trying to do and see

Same as many others.

I get a sinking feeling that there will be alteast one item that I will not be able to do on a certain day which will throw everything off

Same as many others.

thus I will be "refunded" in about 30-60 days my monies

With the guarantees, nothing is being charged.

I have a Travel Agent who asked me if I can navigate thru Magic Band thingee

What does this mean?

If the TA is asking you about the "magic band thingee", I'm not sure she's all that good with Disney stuff? You're navigating through My Disney Experience. This is the same as "my account" on disneyworld.com (what it used to be called before they made it seem like a "thing"). MDE involves the MBs, yes. But you're not navigating through magic bands. You're just going through your account. The ONLY thing that has anything to do with magicbands right now is customizing your magicbands. Since you wrote "monies", I'm assuming you'renot from the U.S., and that means your MBs will be waiting for you at the resort. So customize them and just forget about them.

I am frightened about the process of credit card guarantee-ing

Because you think it involves a charge. A guarantee isn't a charge.

when I can book them thru this magic band thing

You can book ADRs 180 days out through My Disney Experience. FP+s at 60 days out if onsite. If you can book tours right now, then you can book tours right now.

how in the heck do all of you navigate thru this magic band process???? do you wait until 90 days out?? 60 days out, then book verything???

I book dining at 180 days out, then FP+s at 60 days out, and I book the FP+s around the dining I already have. I haven't yet had a tour, so I don't book those.

The magic bands do nothing to help you book reservations for anything. They literally just pull up your My Disney Experience account, which has your park tickets, hotel reservation, fast pass+ reservations, and dining reservations linked to it. All dining experiences require a credit card guarantee (a guarantee is not the same as pre-pay), but some will make you pre-pay entirely in advance. You can cancel these and change the dates with no penalty, as long as you do it within 24 hours of your reservation (as a note, some require you to cancel 48 hours in advance. It will give a cancellation policy while making the reservation.)

There are quick service locations you can grab nibbles from without a band at Epcot. Epcot usually closes at 9:00 pm year round, with a few exceptions made on holidays and nights where there are extra magic hours. You will need to check if the Illuminations dessert party is offered on the night you'd like it on. This is an event where you will prepay and your card will be charged shortly after you book the reservation. Illuminations is generally at 9:00 pm, and I believe the dessert party starts at 8:00 pm. If you book any tours, a lot of them will need to be prepaid as well! Also keep in mind that the tours are expensive and eat up a lot of time spent in the parks, so you may want to cut down on the number of them unless you really don't intend on seeing the parks at large.

I understand your worries about not knowing what you will be able to plan for what day but I am going to be bluntly honest with you here and say that if you wait until 60 days out to finalize your dining and your plans, you will not get to do any of the things you want to do or eat at any of the table service locations you want. Especially Be Our Guest. Reservations for that open at 180 days out and they generally book FAST. You book Fast Pass+ at 60 days out, there are many good guides for that in stickies on the boards. I also feel that your plans involve you going back and forth to multiple parks way too many times and may lead to you feeling like you're not getting anything accomplished because you're not spending enough time in any single park in one go. The only day that looks realistic for touring the parks up there is your Universal day. Transportation across WDW can be time consuming and it is exhausting to try and hit 3 parks in one day like some of your plans call for. If you arrive at the Magic Kingdom at 2pm during spring break season you will see maybe 1 thing before needing to get over to Epcot if you'd like to be there by 5. I would keep the entire first day Magic Kingdom or Epcot, if you're arriving at 2pm. The day of April 14 will probably be exhausting. The Animal Kingdom tours are amazing, as is the park, so I would be sure to try and keep that tour if you keep any of them. I would tour the park some after, eat lunch at Animal Kingdom, then head back to the resort for a break if at all possible, and then head out to HS for your Fantasmic dinner and spend some time at HS. I personally would not try to squeeze Epcot in that day too.

Above all? Breathe, and relax, and have your TA help explain these things to you. That is their job and they should be happy to help you understand these things! Even if you have no table service reservations and are not able to do any of your tours in the end, you will have an amazing time. Disney is a great place and spontaneous magic can happen if you can be flexible.

:wave2:
They just want the number. That's all. Unless you're doing something like Cinderella's Royal Table, where they charge you up front, the CC guarantees just keep the number on file.

Same as many others.

Same as many others.

With the guarantees, nothing is being charged.

What does this mean?

If the TA is asking you about the "magic band thingee", I'm not sure she's all that good with Disney stuff? You're navigating through My Disney Experience. This is the same as "my account" on disneyworld.com (what it used to be called before they made it seem like a "thing"). MDE involves the MBs, yes. But you're not navigating through magic bands. You're just going through your account. The ONLY thing that has anything to do with magicbands right now is customizing your magicbands. Since you wrote "monies", I'm assuming you'renot from the U.S., and that means your MBs will be waiting for you at the resort. So customize them and just forget about them.

Because you think it involves a charge. A guarantee isn't a charge.

You can book ADRs 180 days out through My Disney Experience. FP+s at 60 days out if onsite. If you can book tours right now, then you can book tours right now.

I book dining at 180 days out, then FP+s at 60 days out, and I book the FP+s around the dining I already have. I haven't yet had a tour, so I don't book those.

:thanks:this does answer a lot. I did not know this. It's like a hotel holding the cc for gurantee purposes only and if you do a tour, yes - chances are I will run the risk of having to change things around the closer we get to the windows that begin to open up where you can reserve things (like what I have highlighted below in the next posting).:)
ok - I am cool with this and yes, I have also made a note to remember
"I book dining at 180 days out, then FP+s at 60 days out, and I book the FP+s around the dining I already have.":thanks:

T.T.F.N.
&

Last edited:
I understand your worries about not knowing what you will be able to plan for what day but I am going to be bluntly honest with you here and say that if you wait until 60 days out to finalize your dining and your plans, you will not get to do any of the things you want to do or eat at any of the table service locations you want. Especially Be Our Guest. Reservations for that open at 180 days out and they generally book FAST. You book Fast Pass+ at 60 days out, there are many good guides for that in stickies on the boards. I also feel that your plans involve you going back and forth to multiple parks way too many times and may lead to you feeling like you're not getting anything accomplished because you're not spending enough time in any single park in one go. The only day

Ya know, a huge thank you for the tip -----MK is out for day one.:)

The magic bands do nothing to help you book reservations for anything. They literally just pull up your My Disney Experience account, which has your park tickets, hotel reservation, fast pass+ reservations, and dining reservations linked to it. All dining experiences require a credit card guarantee (a guarantee is not the same as pre-pay), but some will make you pre-pay entirely in advance. You can cancel these and change the dates with no penalty, as long as you do it within 24 hours of your reservation (as a note, some require you to cancel 48 hours in advance. It will give a cancellation policy while making the reservation.)

There are quick service locations you can grab nibbles from without a band at Epcot. Epcot usually closes at 9:00 pm year round, with a few exceptions made on holidays and nights where there are extra magic hours. You will need to check if the Illuminations dessert party is offered on the night you'd like it on. This is an event where you will prepay and your card will be charged shortly after you book the reservation. Illuminations is generally at 9:00 pm, and I believe the dessert party starts at 8:00 pm. If you book any tours, a lot of them will need to be prepaid as well! Also keep in mind that the tours are expensive and eat up a lot of time spent in the parks, so you may want to cut down on the number of them unless you really don't intend on seeing the parks at large.

I understand your worries about not knowing what you will be able to plan for what day but I am going to be bluntly honest with you here and say that if you wait until 60 days out to finalize your dining and your plans, you will not get to do any of the things you want to do or eat at any of the table service locations you want. Especially Be Our Guest. Reservations for that open at 180 days out and they generally book FAST. You book Fast Pass+ at 60 days out, there are many good guides for that in stickies on the boards. I also feel that your plans involve you going back and forth to multiple parks way too many times and may lead to you feeling like you're not getting anything accomplished because you're not spending enough time in any single park in one go. The only day that looks realistic for touring the parks up there is your Universal day. Transportation across WDW can be time consuming and it is exhausting to try and hit 3 parks in one day like some of your plans call for. If you arrive at the Magic Kingdom at 2pm during spring break season you will see maybe 1 thing before needing to get over to Epcot if you'd like to be there by 5. I would keep the entire first day Magic Kingdom or Epcot, if you're arriving at 2pm. The day of April 14 will probably be exhausting. The Animal Kingdom tours are amazing, as is the park, so I would be sure to try and keep that tour if you keep any of them. I would tour the park some after, eat lunch at Animal Kingdom, then head back to the resort for a break if at all possible, and then head out to HS for your Fantasmic dinner and spend some time at HS. I personally would not try to squeeze Epcot in that day too.

Above all? Breathe, and relax, and have your TA help explain these things to you. That is their job and they should be happy to help you understand these things! Even if you have no table service reservations and are not able to do any of your tours in the end, you will have an amazing time. Disney is a great place and spontaneous magic can happen if you can be flexible.

:wave2:allright everyone -

:thanks:Thank you very very veru much bringing me up to speed on how to navigate through this. You have helped me to see:

1) travel time to each park = approx 45 minutes:crazy2:
2) eat something while IN the park and not park hop to do this.:)

Yes, MK is out on day one.......
yes, I can see I am a AK, Epcot, various tours and of course LA Nuba kind of a peron on this adventure and I can also tell that I will be on my feet (like I was in Disneyland & Catalina Island Sept 2015) for most of the day -:rolleyes1

oh well - thats the way I roll when I am on vacation.:smooth:

Most of all - thank you all for literally saying, "Dude , get a bucket of ice and chill" okeydokey.....will do.:o

Thank you all for helping me also to see it is really impoirtant to book what is available to me NOW rather than wait until say 60 days out to book everything.

Ok - time for me to avtually book that Fantasmic dinner package.....popcorn::

:thanks: - all --------the power of the DISboards!! LUV IT !!

T.T.F.N.
&

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter