New Tsa xray machines and patdowns

Hi Folks,

I know this is going to burn some folks, but it is the bottom line when its all said and done!

We have a toerrist problem and until it is ended, I am not going to risk my or my families safety becuse a few folks(and yes it is a few folks when you count the thousands flying every day) are being fussy!

Lets be honest and God please it never happens again, but all the folks complainting about the seciurity will be the first complaining on why did it happen agian!!

So, with all due respect...........

If you dont what to be scanned or be patted down.......DON"T FLY!
Flying is a privilage and not a right.....Take the train, bus, drive or walk.....but DON'T FLY!

Just the bottom line and in my opinon the end of the story!

Best Regards................AKK:)

The cumulative effects of radiation. My family history has a high enough frequency of cancer, I'll opt out every chance I can get.

Then why are you flying? you get far, far more radiation flying one flight than going thru a screener many, many, many times.

Hi Folks,

I know this is going to burn some folks, but it is the bottom line when its all said and done!

We have a toerrist problem and until it is ended, I am not going to risk my or my families safety becuse a few folks(and yes it is a few folks when you count the thousands flying every day) are being fussy!

Lets be honest and God please it never happens again, but all the folks complainting about the seciurity will be the first complaining on why did it happen agian!!

Flying is a privilage and not a right.....Take the train, bus, drive or walk.....but DON'T FLY!

I never said we would not submit to being patted down I simply asked if opting for the pat down would subject us to additional screening at the gate or on our return flight.

Both DH and I don't trust that the TSA is training their agents as well as they need to. They have not released information about how much radiation is released other than claim its a safe level nor if the machines are adjustable like most metal detectors are. This is the agency whose workers did not recognize an identification card the TSA issued to my husband (he does contract work at airports/ports). To get the card he has to go through an extensive background check, finger printing, dna sample, eye scan etc. He tries to use it to get to meetings and it never works. He always has to call someone in the meeting to come and get him. The TSA has admitted this and even posted a notice about it on their website. So I don't trust them to train people to use the machine properly.
I also don't believe the promises that they don't save the images they take. Think about, if someone gets something aboard a plane the first thing anyone will ask is what did they see in his image. It just doesn't make sense that they will delete them.

BTW I am not a conspiracy theorist. I don't believe in Area 51 or the CIA killed Kennedy or any of the stuff. I just think if you are going to expose me to something that has the potential to harm me, I should know enough to make an informed decision and right now I don't have that information. My dentist wouldn't use and x-ray on me last time I went because there was a slight chance I was pregnant. And they are focused on my mouth and I am covered with a lead apron, why is it ok to irradiate my entire body and not tell me how much radiation I am actually exposed to . Not some theoretical number but the actual number of RADs.

Bottom line...if you don't wish to go through 'any' body scanner, you are free to request alternative security screenings. It shouldn't 'flag' you for any more extensive screening on subsequent flights or at the gate for that particular flight.
It is up to each person to decide how they wish to proceed. I don't have any issue whatsoever in going through any body scanners. Now, maybe I'll start glowing in a few years..who knows. I just don't think that the vast majority of us fly often enough to make it a huge deal. But, that's my opinion. Everyone else is free to have their own opinions and then act accordingly.

I will not sit by and watch this thread turn into something nasty. Be suitably advised....just saying. :surfweb:

Hi Folks,

Agreed

Then why are you flying? you get far, far more radiation flying one flight than going thru a screener many, many, many times.
Easy answer. Because my work requires it, and spending 8 days on a boat to Miami to make it to a meeting is hardly rational.

Dear Geegack,

My comment was not directed as a put down to you or your family. It was simply my opinion as to those that don't want the scan or pat down..........they don't have to fly.

I have worked with the TSA folks and found almost all to be doing a good job in a hard situation. Dealing with the public, especaily a public who are likely to be tired and rushed and every little inconvence or issue is often blow out of proportion, is never easy, nor is everyone perfect.

As so many have said in this thread......we are all subjected to radiation in our every day lifes and I must admit, with a lawyer around every corner, I find it hard to beleive that the new units are frying our minds.

I hope you have a good trip, however you travel and a great WDW vacation!:yay:

AKK

The TSA is not being cagey. They are providing the best information available from the most reliable resources. The reality is that our society is so incredibly litigious and driven by sensationalistic media that this is the standard means of providing such information. To deliver information in another way would likely be irresponsible.

The privacy concerns have been addressed in this forum before. Essentially, safety concerns trump privacy concerns.

Hi Food lover,

Well first you have to remember your quoting the NY Times, which is so well known to print whatever they what, fact or fiction, just so each article comes out to support thier opinions or goals.

As previously noted, and with all due respect, You need not fly!

Best Regards....AKK

One additional thought to All!

When it comes to the safety of thousands in the air and millions on the ground........seciurity trumps privacy by a mile (especaily went we are talking about a shadow of a body image).

This is the best tech we have ..so this is what we use.......when a better system comes along I will be happy to support it!

Just my opinon......AKKpirate:

As previously noted, and with all due respect, You need not fly!

Many of us have to travel by air for our work. Just repeating "you need not fly" really is not a convincing argument, sorry. What if I told you that you must stop at a blockade and have your body and car searched on your way to work every morning, because you might be a terrorist with explosives, planning to drive into a building? Hey, driving is a privilege, not a right. You need not drive. Same argument.

It is possible to have a legitimate difference of opinion on the importance of privacy vs. safety. Some of us value those things differently from others, and we have a right to express our opinion. That's the American way. Obviously for you, and for bicker, safety trumps privacy, and at least some civil rights. For me, it does not.

As for your opinion of the NY Times, well, you're entitled to it, and I'm entitled to think you're wrong.

This is all I have to say on this subject... whenever it comes up, it inevitably turns into the online equivalent of a shouting match, with no one changing anyone else's mind.

hi Food lover,

Whether you fly to work or for a vacation, when it comes to the safety of my family and myself,,,,,,,*just dont fly*,,,,,, is indeed the final and most convincing argument!

You have every right to have your opinion.and to say it loud and strong and I will be standing behind you supporting your right to do so, even if your wrong!

But your right in that we are not going to change eachothers mind, so this is the end of this thread for me as well

AKK

I'm asking because of an experience I had recently. The line for the new xray scanner was very long so they opened another line to go through the traditional scanner. The TSA agent picked which passengers would go through which line. I was one of the first picked to go through the older model. Once I got through, the (female...like me) agent instructed me to hold my arms out and began a VERY thorough search. She reached up under my bra in the front and back and did a "sweeping" motion. She ran her hands up the inside of both thighs and between my legs. The humilating part was when she told me to turn around and stuck her hands down my waistband. The 2 "gentlemen" in line behind me smiled and commented on the "show". I wouldn't have been upset had this taken place behind a screen or if I had chosen this route. Just wondering if I could request a more private screening if I'm forced to do the pat-down again.

I was flying back from working in Mexico a while back and this beautiful Mexican security agent asked me if she could search me. I said, NO PROBLEM - search away - and be thorough! :rotfl2:

I'm asking because of an experience I had recently. The line for the new xray scanner was very long so they opened another line to go through the traditional scanner. The TSA agent picked which passengers would go through which line. I was one of the first picked to go through the older model. Once I got through, the (female...like me) agent instructed me to hold my arms out and began a VERY thorough search. She reached up under my bra in the front and back and did a "sweeping" motion. She ran her hands up the inside of both thighs and between my legs. The humilating part was when she told me to turn around and stuck her hands down my waistband. The 2 "gentlemen" in line behind me smiled and commented on the "show". I wouldn't have been upset had this taken place behind a screen or if I had chosen this route. Just wondering if I could request a more private screening if I'm forced to do the pat-down again.

UGH.

This is why I'm going to make sure DH is behind me in line. :headache: I was planning on wearing as little clothing as possible through the line... but I guess that idea won't really help after all.... blah.

UGH.

This is why I'm going to make sure DH is behind me in line. :headache: I was planning on wearing as little clothing as possible through the line... but I guess that idea won't really help after all.... blah.

The agent said she had to do some extra patting because my clothes were loose. So I guess my suggestion would be to wear form fitting clothes. :goodvibes

Good idea to go before hubby! That way your daughter could be in between the 2 of you and you won't have strangers watching if the pat gets personal.

100% of the flying public are never going to be 100% satisfied or happy with screening proceedures.
And there are many people that have to fly for business. It does not make sense for them to get from point A to point B in any other fashion than flying.
And it is everyone's right, here in the US, to have their own opinions. We don't shoot those who's opinions differ from ours.

So, with these thoughts in mind, can we please stop the back and forth of who should and who shouldn't be flying? Do the current types of security screennings work? Yes, up to a point. Do these screenings violate privacy laws?? That I can't say.....I really have no problem with someone seeing my 'bits'...if that's the way they get their jollies, then have at it. Slightly overweight middleaged woman shouldn't be worrying about that. But, that's me....many others have different feelings..and that's their perogative.

The screenings we have now are what we have. When flying, we need to be prepared for anything. If you choose to go a different route than the scanner, then let the TSA people know ahead of time. I would actually ask the TSA person who checks your ID at the beginning of the security line what your best bet is...that you aren't comfortable with the scanner and can you get a pat down instead. Perhaps that would alleviate some of the confusion when you actually get to the scanner. But, I would imagine that some TSA people may feel that you 'have something to hide' by saying you don't want to use the scanner. I can't be 100% sure of that, but it does cross my mind....something to think about. So, I would imagine that those refusing the scanners, may very well have a much more thorough pat-down than usual.

Many of us have to travel by air for our work. Just repeating "you need not fly" really is not a convincing argument, sorry.
Sorry, but it is. The decision to take a job where you're subjected to what society has deemed to be inconsequential risk is not involuntary.

What if I told you that you must stop at a blockade and have your body and car searched on your way to work every morning, because you might be a terrorist with explosives, planning to drive into a building?
Let me open the trunk for you.

It is possible to have a legitimate difference of opinion on the importance of privacy vs. safety.
While true, a difference of opinion doesn't mean that one's own personal perspective must therefore prevail. I'm not saying that you've said that, but assuming you aren't saying that, then all you need say is that you agree to disagree with our government about this issue, and we can move on.

There are lots of things I do, grudgingly, but do them because that's society's decision, not mine. Recognizing that primacy of society's decision is critical, though. While we can work to change it, while working toward that change, we must acknowledge that society's decision prevails. And if we cannot bring about the change we want, then that's on us, no one else. Failure to convince is not justification for getting impatient or just abandoning due process and taking matters into your own hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter