(New TR Link) Yo Ho, Yo Ho- Rum and Sharks for Me!An Eastern Fantasy TR May 31-June 7

Illegal flower picker! Just like her mama. ;)

The shot of the ship is gorgeous and I LOVE the Dumbo!

I hate when trips end, even though you have a day at MK (YAY!!!) it's still the ending of your shark-watching, so I feel for you. The animation at your last dinner is AWESOME!! How cool is that?!?! I laughed out loud at Char's, too cute. :teeth:

Yeah, this board is strange, but I think once I get used to it, I'll like it better. Maybe. I think.

Very nice. Always a sad day packing up. That's pretty cool how animators palate works!
It was very cool. That was not on our other cruises. Not sure if it's for 7 day cruises only?
Packing up day is always sad! Worst part of vacation............

Illegal flower picker! Just like her mama. ;)

The shot of the ship is gorgeous and I LOVE the Dumbo!

I hate when trips end, even though you have a day at MK (YAY!!!) it's still the ending of your shark-watching, so I feel for you. The animation at your last dinner is AWESOME!! How cool is that?!?! I laughed out loud at Char's, too cute. :teeth:

Yeah, this board is strange, but I think once I get used to it, I'll like it better. Maybe. I think.

I hate the ends of trips too. I always go into vacation-depression.

I think I will like this board better too as I get used to it. :)

Hey, safe travels tomorrow...... so excited for you!!!! I'll be sitting here sad, nursing my IT band & cursing the darn indoor track and winter training!!!!

I am getting bummed that there will be no more Cap't KillJoy, sharks, or Drunk Grandma for awhile...I need a new trip, wait you are going on another adventure soon with the family AND MORE IMPORTANTLY...we get a trip together in almost single digits!

I love the Animation dinner...so need to put this on my DREAM plans of a Disney Cruise...dang daughter that thinks she needs to go to college next year is messing up my vacation money!

I busted out laughing on the packing comment...yep, fathers seems just to go and never do the work!

Your sunset picture and dumbo/ship pictures are wonderful...here I am starting the day of dreaming...can't think of a better thing to do...SNAP back to the real world...the bell just rang and I have lots of assessments and data to deal with this week and next week if I think I am leaving in 12 days!

I am getting bummed that there will be no more Cap't KillJoy, sharks, or Drunk Grandma for awhile...I need a new trip, wait you are going on another adventure soon with the family AND MORE IMPORTANTLY...we get a trip together in almost single digits!

I love the Animation dinner...so need to put this on my DREAM plans of a Disney Cruise...dang daughter that thinks she needs to go to college next year is messing up my vacation money!

I busted out laughing on the packing comment...yep, fathers seems just to go and never do the work!

Your sunset picture and dumbo/ship pictures are wonderful...here I am starting the day of dreaming...can't think of a better thing to do...SNAP back to the real world...the bell just rang and I have lots of assessments and data to deal with this week and next week if I think I am leaving in 12 days!

Well if I can find a way to work in my Hawaii trip on these boards somehow (maybe build into this TR?) then I can add lots more Cap't KillJoy and Shark antidotes!

I have sooooooooooooooooo much work to do before I leave- I had a major stress down yesterday. But in the end, it'll work out- and I just keep telling myself that. I can't WAIT for cupcake trip! I'm so excited! :jumping1:

You have an antidote for sharks? Is it as dangerous as a measles shot?:crazy2::tongue:

Hey- no comments from the peanut gallery. If I want to use the wrong words in my sentences, I will! :rotfl2: I type faster than I think ALL the time.

Please post about Hawaii! I need more!

Jill in CO

I will probably just add on here as to not get the tread closed down.. since Hawaii will have NO Disney involved except wishful thinking that I was at Aulani.

I will probably just add on here as to not get the tread closed down.. since Hawaii will have NO Disney involved except wishful thinking that I was at Aulani.

Sounds like a plan!

Jill in CO

Well if I can find a way to work in my Hawaii trip on these boards somehow (maybe build into this TR?) then I can add lots more Cap't KillJoy and Shark antidotes!

I have sooooooooooooooooo much work to do before I leave- I had a major stress down yesterday. But in the end, it'll work out- and I just keep telling myself that. I can't WAIT for cupcake trip! I'm so excited! :jumping1:

I had my own stress dealings with my MR. KillJoy! I always leave master plans, precook dinners, lay out weeks for youngest...yada yada yada and he still finds a way to give me some grief over my trip...oh not overtly grief just passive aggressive crap! UGH...men!

We are going to have so much fun...I am looking forward to finally meeting the tweedles who have been the source of so many smiles this last year...can you believe it has been a year!

Well goodness, I am SIX little days away from leaving for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. MUST GET THIS OUT.

The cruise portion of this trip is just about over. My last post left us all depressed & saying goodnight for our last night on the ship. The early alarm clock woke us up much too early and we quickly got ready and said goodbye to our stateroom and headed up for breakfast while waiting for our group to be called for disembarkation.

Little Ms. Charlie started bawling on her way out because 'I don't want bacation to end" I hear ya sister- story of my life. To this day, she STILL talks about when she is going back on that boat. She had the time of her little life.

Disembarkation was relatively quick and easy. We cleared customs easily as none of our vacation purchases included illegal substances, illegal flower pickings ( I made the girl ditch it before boarding the boat on Castaway) or illegal sand (except the pieces still permanently stuck in my kids hair from beach time). Grandma was not drunk leaving the boat either so no red flags were raised on that front. All around a successful disembarkation.

Only high praise again for the folks at our transport company - Happy Limo- who were at the port awaiting our early arrival and loaded us and shuttled us back onto the highway to the disney zone. Destination: All-Star Music Resort for one night.

Last time I stayed at this resort was like 1999. I was younger & less critical I suppose. And I had never spent the night in a deluxe hotel. Let's just say.. but 2014.. the thrill of giant maracas and saxaphones had worn out..and the resort showed it's wear and tear quite plainly. Maybe we were unlucky, but our rooms (in the Rock n' Roll section) were worn down. Dirty. And we found several bugs. It alarmed me enough that upon returning home I aired out all luggage & contents for 2 weeks in my garage. Never again at the All-Stars.

Lordy, this is too much writing with no pictures. Get on with it Nicole!

We checked in, moved our luggage to our room & headed out to get in line for the MK bus. Which was our destination for the day. It was approx 9 billion degrees outside and if you don't know me (or my mother) you would not know that neither of us do high heat or humidity well. Or crowds. Pretty much signaling a recipe for disaster for this day.

The bus mojo was not with us at all. And we waited forever and a day for a bus. And the kids (and the grandma) were already whiney and cranky. I tried to appease them with some 'initial pictures' After all, all my kids had their first initials represented:

Give me a "R"

Give me a "S"

Give me a "C"

What's that spell? Whiney girls. Hot Momma. Crabby Grandma. Woo.

Now, going into the parks we were excited about a few things.. one- I scored FP plus to the 7 Dwarfs Mine Ride. It had just opened the week prior and we were excited to ride the new ride. This, of course, was before we knew it had a tendency to bust into flames. Also I managed lunch ressies for BOG- which was top choice for Ms. Rebecca.

We also knew going into the day that it was Gay Day at the park. I am all for equality everywhere and had no issue with this outside the fact that it would increase crowds a bit & that my middle child has no inner filter and I was a wee worried what might come pouring out of her mouth. I didn't want her to offend anyone while she processed what she saw. I did my best to prep & discuss prior to arriving to TRY to prepare for this. When it was all said and done- I do have some observations on this day and I will share them- because they did impact our day & our experience.

Finally a bus came - off for our adventure.

We arrived around 10:45/11 and crowds were bad. We managed through bag check & front gates. And stopped for a castle picture. We are not so happy here.....

Despite the smiles.

We headed into Fantasyland where we rode our first ride. Oh, the favorite of Cap't Kill Joy.

Then we wandered over to Circusland to ride Barnstormer...and cool down in the Big Top Tent. Which is where I saw these- out for the new release of Maleficent that week:

We started getting more whiny kids & it was hot..and so we ended up buying a few hats for Charlie and Sarah to shut them up about the sun. And basically we killed some time till our FP for this:

Let's ride:

We had no wait with FP plus. And we were boarded before we could blink:

Gram is always good for a laugh. Always.

And the ride was also over before we could blink- I had just enough time to take this one picture on the ride:

Overall, I just can not believe it took Disney THAT long to build THAT ride for as short as it is. Universal built and entire HARRY POTTER LAND in the same time- with a much cooler ride. This whole ride left me underwhelmed and I would choose Big Thunder anytime over this ride. Fail Disney, FAIL.

When this was over, it was time for our BOG ressie and everyone was waning VERY fast. Cap't Kill Joy and his sarcastic minion Sarah decided they wanted nothing to do with the place.. and so they chose to leave us and go ride Pirates instead. Whatever.... We ordered & found a seat in the west wing. I was DONE with pictures at this point and so at this point I have very few pictures left of the trip . These came from my mom's camera I think....

She's cute so it's worth a post...

We ate, cooled off & I got my cupcakes.

Yes, yes.. BOTH those cupcakes were MINE. The third was Rebecca's. You gotta problem with that?

I had Grey Stuff & Lemon. Both were divine. Both lifted my spirits. Or maybe it was just a sugar high, who knows... regardless.. onward ho....

We met back up with the other two and agreed to head here:

The line was long & the heat was hot. We were packed in like sardines without ventilation. Things were going downhill quickly...... and I felt like passing out. Despite fun props.

After this ride my mother called it quits. She decided to head back to the hotel to go to the pool with Charlie and Sarah. It was just too hot and crowded for her. This is what CHarlie thinks of this heat on the bus ride back to the hotel:

Because we are stubborn.. Cap't Killjoy, the eldest & myself stuck it out. I have very few pictures but I know we did Big Thunder, Pirates and Jungle Cruise.

And we stopped for one of these suckas.. DOLE WHIP. Because, you know, I need MORE SUGAR.

And I captured this picture.

We must have headed over to Tomorrowland at some point and rode Buzz Lightyear.

And it was right about this time Gram came back with the kiddos for the evening. They were in better moods having spent the afternoon in the pool.

They rode the Tomorrowland Speedway. Then we ate dinner at Cosmic Ray's... before heading back to cross the park for Pirates again & some Swiss Family Tree fun!

Heading into Adventureland- my favorite pictures of the day.

It almost looks like they love each other.. aww....

The night fell.. .and we headed back to Fantasyland for another round on Small World, Peter Pan, Pooh and Little Mermaid. Then mom, Charlie & Kurt decided they were done.. and they left. Sarah, Rebecca and I stuck around for a bit more till we called it a day too.....

We beat the crowds out of the park so we didn't have to wait too long for a bus. Back at the hotel we crawled into bed. I got NO sleep because we had seen several bugs at this time..and my mattress also was awful. So the 3:30am wake up came too early. And we were on the Magical Express departing for home by 4:15. Vacation was over....

Now my little here & there on attending MK on Gay Day. I do believe crowds increased because of it(despite posts I had seen from prior years saying it wouldn't) Also, if you go on that day you have to go knowing you will see it...it's their day & they go and enjoy.. free of judgement. There's hand holding, kissing, shirts & buttons and so forth. Your kids will see it and notice it. I knew this all going in & had no problem with it. As I said, my biggest worry was my middle child's filter system.. .I didn't want her offending anyone with a comment as she processed things. She did, in case you were wondering, several times make comments and we did have to have a discussion on gay marriage in the middle of main street as she saw a 'bride and bride'. The bride and bride were cute & it was a good learning experience for her as we offered our congrats and shared their joy. I like to teach my kids tolerance & acceptance.

Now here is where my main issue was and where I would hesitate again to attend a park on Gay Day. I felt there were many instances where it was taken too far. And by that, I mean actions & shirts that were out of line & place for a Disney park- period! This IS a family park. Therefore, it should not be OK on this day to have explicit shirts in the park such as "I love the "D"" or I love (insert male rooster pictures).(and so very many other types of shirt!) It would be no different than someone wearing I love b##bies shirts or whatever.... and Disney doesn't allow that. So why they were letting MANY MANY MANY MANY people get away with very explicit shirts was confusing to me. My kids CAN read and I DO NOT enjoy explaining OVER AND OVER explicit $exual terms on shirts. I feel this was Disney's fault for allowing these shirts into the parks and not forcing them to be removed. Also, there was a LOT of $exual behaviors in line. Gropings, heavy kissing, blah, blah.. again just not FAMILY park friendly. Whether it be a girl/boy or same gender.. the heavy stuff shouldn't be happening in lithe line to Small World and Peter Pan, you know? And it was, over & over & over.. to the point of extreme uncomfortableness. Both instances of the above were very heavy in the park that day and seemed MOST prevalent in the young males. Again, I am all for equality. I firmly believe everyone should be free to choose.. but I also just feel for us, on this day, there was too much explicit $exualness in the park. Disney does not usually tolerate that behavior from anyone on most days so why they let it go that day.. is beyond me. For that reason, I probably would not attend another Gay Day at Disney.

That's all I have to say & those are just MY reflections (and my mother's and husbands) of the day. Maybe it was a fluke. Maybe we were int he wrong lines, behind the wrong people, at the wrong time... I dunno... but that's all she wrote on that subject (and please no gay bashing comments.. I don't want to hear them, that was not the intent of what I wrote.. my intent was the behavior in line and on shirts that were not "Disney friendly" in my opinion.. and for what it worth.. it takes a lot to offend me in most situations).

With our vacation over.. I have just one wrap up post. My goods & my bads. And some pictures of our Fish Extender gifts! I will get it done by next week. Woo!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm sorry to say that I'm excited your TR is over because that means ours is starting!!!!!! party:

I haven't been to Disney when it was hot since our first trip in September 2008, I realized that reading your recap...we ALWAYS go in cooler temps now. October, January, and February and sometimes it gets warmer or colder, but it's never really hot...which seems like a fair tradeoff since they are always doing construction and refurbs in the cooler temp months.

My ticker is wrong! That's annoying but I'm not gonna change it and have her go all the way back to the beginning now. :rolleyes1

This new format is totally jackin' with me!!!! Hurry up and wrap this puppy up. Hope to see you this week!!! Safe travels! princess: (good grief, took way too long to figure out where the princess smiley is now located)

This new format is totally jackin' with me!!!! Hurry up and wrap this puppy up. Hope to see you this week!!! Safe travels! princess: (good grief, took way too long to figure out where the princess smiley is now located)

I'm finishing up right now before my boss comes in! :)

The new format takes a wee bit of getting used to but as I learn it, I like it better!

Hope to see you in the next few days!

Okay, let's finish this puppy up.

I have one wrap up post & I leave TOMORROW for do or die of 19.3 miles. Bring on the Glass Slipper Challenge! :scared:princess:

So the vacation is over. It's always sad when long awaited vacays end. There's a sadness that creeps in and you get home and find yourself working to plan your next one. That is always the case with me.

I am going to do a simple Pros/Cons of our trip and then wrap up with our FE item pictures...

I'll start with Cons (because it's better to end on positive, right?)

Cons:

It was way more hectic/crazy that I would have liked or imagined.
There were a lot of entitled kids roaming the boat with attitudes to match. It was annoying.
It was crowded (it is a big boat- so kinda a 'duh' on this)
The food was only OK in my opinion. I felt we've had better in past trips and on other lines.
Both the opening and ending shows were blah. Disney can do better!
The pool deck is so, so crowded! (again, a 'duh' based on ship size)
Becca didn't enjoy the Edge. It was small and not run great.
St. Maarten

Pros:

The kids LOVED it (and this vacation was booked FOR the kids)
Characters are always great fun
Gilbert our server- he was so awesome
The shows Believe and Aladdin. The Genie, in particular, was wonderful.
It's a beautiful ship. No prettier one on sea
Castaway Cay.
Horn & the Aquaduck.
The St. Thomas Turtles
Ice-cream in unlimited quantities
Pirate Night is so fun
Watching the fireworks from our balcony.
Fish Extenders

Overall, I'm glad we sailed Fantasy. I don't know if we'll cruise again with Disney. Although I am known to eat my own words. It is very, very expensive & while Disney is a wonderful experience, the double/triple cost of other lines is tough to bite. Especially as my older two get older. However, I would like to someday say "I've cruised all their ships.. and only the Wonder is left for me to make that statement" So who knows... Maybe a trip to Alaska on the Wonder? :laughing:

Last but not least- the Fish Extenders. We participated in this and it's great, great fun.

Here's the pics of what we gave:

Cabin Gift- I created a DCL logo with words of our cruise and had them printed on totes:

ToteFE.JPG

Gift for Littles- A sand bucket with their name on it & a Build an Olaf kit:

OlafFE.JPG

Young Girls - nailpolish kits with Minnie nail stickers (no picture posted because it has our last name in it)

Older Tweens and Teen Girls 'Mickey EOS' lipgloss:

_MG_9288_1.jpg

The young boys got Star Wars White boards:

And the teen boys got candy for the movies.

And here is a picture of all the goodies we received:

And that about wraps up this baby. I can't believe I finished one! Woo!

So tomorrow I leave again for Disney with the Glass Slipper Challenge as the goal. (19.3 miles!). It is going to be a great trip full of wonderful friends, Disney parks, booze & sweets (oh and some running!).

Then in a month we have family trip to Hawaii.. Still figuring out how to TR that one here....... but if I do, I let you all know how I get it in!

Thanks for following along our Great Cruise Adventure! Woo!

Last edited:
Absolutely love, love, loved the last two updates, although I agree and it's so sad to end a vacation and I cry everytime. I'm sorry you had issues with All Stars. Did you report it? I would have for sure!!! Interesting take on Gay Day at Disney. I was wondering if it would be overly sexy and I guess it was. That's too bad. Like you, I'm all for everyone having the right to do what they want but if there are rules about what shirts can be worn on other days, the same rules should apply then too. You Did It!!! You finished the TR BEFORE you left for the Princess.......so it was the DAY BEFORE, but it was still before, right?!! Good luck during the race and have a wonderful, wonderful time with Karen! Take lots of drunk Karen pics and make sure to post them!!!!

Hey there. Agree with your opinion on Gay Days...I am all for love who you love, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, either straight or gay..especially explicit shirts. Hard for Disney to stop some heavy petting in lines, but you would think that they would say something about obscene shirts. (I've even seen Pete Werner rant against this kind of stuff.) Way disappointing for sure. Though I admit I have seen the occasional tasteless shirt in Disney on straight people as well, but I wish Disney would also do something about THAT.

Looks like a great MK ending to the trip. I agree with many of your points. DD has been bugging us about another cruise. I wonder if we could get away with a Non-Disney one to see what it would be like. Or would we be disappointed in the lower standards. The Disney cruise is just SOOO expensive and neither DW nor I really think they are worth it to us.

Thanks for sharing your lovely TR! I've been following along (quietly) the whole time. You have a beautiful family.

Good luck this weekend at the Princess Half!!

I'm still here! I have loved the TR, I am so sad it's over!
I felt the same way about our ASMo experience. It's just not for us (not to be a resort snob or anything).
Over all, it looks like you all had a fabulous trip! It really makes me want to do a cruise again, who knows maybe in 2-3 years when this little nugget is potty trained we will go for it?
The fish extender gifts look like great fun. I think I would really enjoy that.

Absolutely love, love, loved the last two updates, although I agree and it's so sad to end a vacation and I cry everytime. I'm sorry you had issues with All Stars. Did you report it? I would have for sure!!! Interesting take on Gay Day at Disney. I was wondering if it would be overly sexy and I guess it was. That's too bad. Like you, I'm all for everyone having the right to do what they want but if there are rules about what shirts can be worn on other days, the same rules should apply then too. You Did It!!! You finished the TR BEFORE you left for the Princess.......so it was the DAY BEFORE, but it was still before, right?!! Good luck during the race and have a wonderful, wonderful time with Karen! Take lots of drunk Karen pics and make sure to post them!!!!

No I didn't report it- we just didn't have time to stand in lines as we were in/out so quick. It's fine.. I'm sure it was a combo of me getting spoiled with staying at some Deluxe resorts lately & me getting old (harder/uncomfortable beds). When Becca and I got back in May we will stay at Pop so I'll see how I do at that one........ ;)

Hey there. Agree with your opinion on Gay Days...I am all for love who you love, but there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, either straight or gay..especially explicit shirts. Hard for Disney to stop some heavy petting in lines, but you would think that they would say something about obscene shirts. (I've even seen Pete Werner rant against this kind of stuff.) Way disappointing for sure. Though I admit I have seen the occasional tasteless shirt in Disney on straight people as well, but I wish Disney would also do something about THAT.

Looks like a great MK ending to the trip. I agree with many of your points. DD has been bugging us about another cruise. I wonder if we could get away with a Non-Disney one to see what it would be like. Or would we be disappointed in the lower standards. The Disney cruise is just SOOO expensive and neither DW nor I really think they are worth it to us.

Yhea, I was really surprised they let those shirts in there. The only thing I can think of is they put many of them on after getting into the park & then no cast members in the park wanted to confront? I don't know.. they were bad.

For what it's worth- I bet she would have blast on another cruise line. We have always enjoyed Carnival and it's about as cheap as you can go for a cruise! Of course the kids will like Disney better because of the Disney elements- but overall, she'll still love it & you guys will love the price! ;)

We are really wanting to try the Norwegian Getaway next. So I think that will be our next cruise.

Thanks for sharing your lovely TR! I've been following along (quietly) the whole time. You have a beautiful family.

Good luck this weekend at the Princess Half!!

Aww, thanks for reading along. And thanks for the compliment!

I survived the 1/2 and somewhere in here will probably start another TR- probably a joint one..........

I'm still here! I have loved the TR, I am so sad it's over!
I felt the same way about our ASMo experience. It's just not for us (not to be a resort snob or anything).
Over all, it looks like you all had a fabulous trip! It really makes me want to do a cruise again, who knows maybe in 2-3 years when this little nugget is potty trained we will go for it?
The fish extender gifts look like great fun. I think I would really enjoy that.

I am just going to go ahead and cop to being a resort snob. I think I've become one! Our May trip to Pop will determine that for me. :) It's just sooooo hard to go back to a value after staying deluxe. (yup, SNOB!)

Yes, the cruise in a few years sounds PERFECT for you!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter