(New TR Link) Yo Ho, Yo Ho- Rum and Sharks for Me!An Eastern Fantasy TR May 31-June 7

Thanks for your trip report thus far - enjoying it. I am deciding if a DC is right for our family (Me 48, DW 46, DD 15, DS 10), and your details and pics will be very helpful.

Might I suggest a direct link to each post in your first post so that one doesn't have to scroll through every page to find them? :)

Thanks for your trip report thus far - enjoying it. I am deciding if a DC is right for our family (Me 48, DW 46, DD 15, DS 10), and your details and pics will be very helpful.

Might I suggest a direct link to each post in your first post so that one doesn't have to scroll through every page to find them? :)

Hi & welcome! Thanks for reading! Glad my TR can help in your decision!

And I do have a direct link to each post in the first post.. It's just kinda in the middle.... so maybe not all that noticeable! But it's there........:thumbsup2

I just found and read all of your report. Love it! You sound like someone I would get along with quite well :) I have run the PHM every year and will be doing the GSC again this year. I hope I get a chance to say hi in person. We will be on the Fantasy next month and Iam gathering tidbits to file away, like avoid the first night show ;)

One thing I noticed in your squinting into the sun pic, you don't have sunglasses on, you are wearing your regular glasses. If you don't have them already, I highly, highly recommend getting prescription sunglasses! Seriously, it was one of the best things I have ever done. They are great for running too!

Anyway, can't wait to hear more :cool1:

I just found and read all of your report. Love it! You sound like someone I would get along with quite well :) I have run the PHM every year and will be doing the GSC again this year. I hope I get a chance to say hi in person. We will be on the Fantasy next month and Iam gathering tidbits to file away, like avoid the first night show ;)

One thing I noticed in your squinting into the sun pic, you don't have sunglasses on, you are wearing your regular glasses. If you don't have them already, I highly, highly recommend getting prescription sunglasses! Seriously, it was one of the best things I have ever done. They are great for running too!

Anyway, can't wait to hear more :cool1:

Hi! Thanks for joining and reading along!!! Yhea, exciting to be on the Fantasy in a month! Are you doing the FE?

Exciting to meet another runner (although I use that word loosely with myself!!) I did Wine and Dine last November and will be doing GSC too! I am excited but mostly just for the fun and friends to meet along the way!

I know I desperately need to get prescription sunglasses. I always say I need to & then I never get them! I always desperately hope I can get back into Contacts although I just end up giving myself headaches when I do wear them. I have to go to the eye doctor next month.. so I WILL do it. I will... I will!!!! :) (why do glasses have to be so expensive?!?!)

Hi & welcome! Thanks for reading! Glad my TR can help in your decision!

And I do have a direct link to each post in the first post.. It's just kinda in the middle.... so maybe not all that noticeable! But it's there........:thumbsup2

Oh yea, there it is ...duh! Sorry about that!

I have been such a neglectful little trip reporter. I apologize. Back to school, activities & all the such has kept me quite busy these past few weeks.

But here I am.. back. At least temporarily. Did I spell temporarily right? I dunno. Doesn't look right. Anyways.

When I last posted, I had convinced all of Disland to never go to St. Maarten. I would like to say... many, many people enjoy this island and therefore do not change any vacation plans based on my reviews. Everyone should be able to render their own opinion on Taxi For Jesus.

So I will move on to one of my favorite parts of a Disney Cruise- and that is drinking. Eh. I mean.... Pirate Night.

Yo Ho, Yo Ho.. Rum & Coke for me. Dang it.. I mean... Pirates Life for Me!

I love Pirate Night. Don't ask me why, I just do. We don't even necessarily go all out for it..... I just really like it. It's fun. And I like pirates. Especially if they are Johnny Depp. Who was not, unfortunately at my Pirate Night. Much to my sadness. Because he could totally kidnap me if he wanted to... just sayin'.

I don't have a whole lot to say about Pirate Night... I just have lots and lots of pictures!

Which you are probably laughing at because prior to this first picture posting.. I had lots and lots to say.

Anywho..... I am doing this kinda out of order just to push through the right amount pictures in my allotted space.

Basically what we did was get dressed & head down for pictures. Then we ate dinner. And did more pictures. Then we went to the Pirate show.. and did more pictures... and then we watched fireworks from our balcony.

Waiting in long lines for our first pictures rendered some adorably cute little pirates....

And while waiting for more pictures...the little pirates played....

And posed....

Then we headed down to dinner. Our rotation tonight was Animator's Palate.

This was an awesome place to have Pirate Night Dinner... they piped in the Pirate music an on all the screens they played Pirate clips.

All the kids got cute little Pirate Hat/Activity sheets

I mean why wouldn't Johnny Depp want to kidnap this?

No replies necessary to that! Ha! (this is why there are precious few pictures of me people...)

Cheesy thumbs up to Pirate Night!!!

I can't help it. I Love pirate pictures just like I love porthole pictures!

Can you stand the cuteness?? I can't. Cutest. Pirate. EVER!!!

For dinner... I got potstickers for appetizer. Yummy.

Pay no attention to the drink in the background!

The hubs got steak. Big shocker. I know.

My dinner was this: And I am too lazy to go look at my notes to see what it is..... it was good.

There's that boozy Grandma again.

And here's the pictures from the roaming photographer......

Overexposed Pirate Hubby. Trying to look like Johnny Depp but not quite getting there (shh..don't him I said so!)

What? How did that drink get in my pirate picture? What a lushy wench.

Look at the GrandWench. Pretending she's all sweet and non-lushy.. little does she know I had the above picture of her downing them down- true pirate style!

Oldest Pirate Daughter.

Middle Pirate Daughter.

Smallest Pirate Daughter. I think she's even saying Arghhhh!!!!!

The Pirate Family that Cruises together looking for sharks, Johnny Depp & rum... stays together.

And just because it's cute.

There's my 25 limit cut-off. Coming up. More pictures. Wow. Surprising!

Now to push through another 25 Pirate Pictures. Because (say it with me) PIRATES ROCK. Just like rum. And Johnny Depp.

So how about some of those professional pics we waiting in all those lines for?

Our first 'line' was for GrandPirateWench's favorite rodents... Pirate Chip & Dale.

Love these guys. Always fun. Whether on land or at Sea!!

Although Char is really not so sure about the gigantic chipmunks dressed up in pirate gear!

Our next line wait was for 'lifestyle' pics on a white background. These are some of my favorite shots from the entire cruise. My kids are just so stinkin' cute in them...

Oldest:

Middle:

Littlest:

Pirate Adorableness x 3 cuties-

Then Sarah wanted to do the backdrop next door... Becca was done & so left.. so these two pirates got these pictures:

Then they made me get into the picture:

Looking at this backdrop now, I can't help but think of some lost opportunities. I totally should have had the Hub do a Titanic re-creation!!!! I'm King of the World!!!

Anywho.. we are not done yet.. Oh no... I made the family stand in a crazy long line to meet Pirate Minnie.

This is where we broke for dinner. Then mid-dinner- Pirate Stitch was meeting. Now, I know many hate Stitch. But I love the little guy (not the little guys ride in Magic Kingdom but that is another post). My middle child was a loveable mischievous tot & I used to call her Stitch. So I dragged all my kids out of their dinner to go meet him...

Me & my guy.

After dinner, Maleficent in 3D was showing. It had just been released in theaters & we got to see it on the ship. It was pretty cool! Hubby ended up taking the girls several more times to watch it......

After Maleficent it was time for the Pirate Deck Party. We found a space on the upper deck and settled in to watch:

There was lots of fun singing and dancing and the kids loved it.

Fireworks started after that....

Now we had been told "STAY OFF BALCONY" of our stateroom during fireworks. Dangerous. Second biggest risk of death on a cruise ship after falling overboard and being eaten by shark. Don't do it. Stay away. So we did what any tried and true pirates would do.

We double checked the side the fireworks would be shot off of with a crew deck (meaning, where they to be shot off on our side of the ship). Then we assessed the growing elbow to elbow crowd of pirates lining up for a view of the spectacular firework show on sea. Then we remembered we hate crowds and this is why we pull our children from things like.. learning school work..to take Disney vacations during non-busy times. Then we mutinied.....

And headed down to our balcony to watch the fireworks. We peered out and saw several other rebel pirates had done the same. Including the one who also mutinied against the 'no-smoking' on the balcony rule...... In the true sense of rebel solidarity... I refrained from making loud, sarcastic "smoke is killing me' comments. I also refrained from over-exaggerated coughing fits. Both of which I have been known to do in the past near illegal smokers trying to give me lung cancer!

And we had an awesome viewing (no elbow to elbow) of the only firework show on sea!!!

And then, us rebel pirates, went to bed. We had a busy day at our next port. St. Thomas. Would it be better than St. Maarten?

I did enjoy pirate night - but maybe because DD went to bed and skipped it. (Ooohh..talk about bad parents!) Looks like you guys had fun.

I applaud your rebel pirate firework watching from the privacy of your own balcony! That seems like having an MK view at the Contemporary and being able to go outside for wishes!

And I think everyone gets tired of their companions on a trip at some point! I'm glad no mothers were sold or children lost on the tour!

I am LOVING all the pirate pictures!! The girls are all so adorably piratey! The party pictures look fun and dinner at animator as palate seems like it would be a great place for dinner that night!

Fireworks on the balcony? Well, it wouldn't be a pirate night without some rebellion, right? Sounds like an awesome night to me!

I did enjoy pirate night - but maybe because DD went to bed and skipped it. (Ooohh..talk about bad parents!) Looks like you guys had fun.

Well now don't try to steal the bad parent award from me.... you did read my facebook post where I let the girls go out and play Hunger Games so I could watch 30 Rock in peace, right? :cool2:

I really do like Pirate Night though- it's just fun! Plus I love seeing all the characters in Pirate costumes! And fireworks on the sea is pretty cool!

I applaud your rebel pirate firework watching from the privacy of your own balcony! That seems like having an MK view at the Contemporary and being able to go outside for wishes!

And I think everyone gets tired of their companions on a trip at some point! I'm glad no mothers were sold or children lost on the tour!

Exactly- good analogy! It was so awesome to watch the fireworks from the balcony. With only my own kids poking and pushing me!

My mother is always close to being sold on any trip we take. In fact, we are going to Hawaii in March & we made the decision to not invite her even though we knew she would want to come (and she did ask). She is just very, very martyrish. And we did two vacations in a row with her......

I am LOVING all the pirate pictures!! The girls are all so adorably piratey! The party pictures look fun and dinner at animator as palate seems like it would be a great place for dinner that night!

Fireworks on the balcony? Well, it wouldn't be a pirate night without some rebellion, right? Sounds like an awesome night to me!

I love pirate pictures too. And porthole pictures! Pirates and Portholes!! That's what I should have named this trip report. Although.. sharks are fun too.

I think we got the best rotation for pirates dinner. The other restaurants could pipe the music, but we had the pirate graphics and such because we had the TV's in our restaurant....

Rebellion is my middle name. Nicole Rebel Depp. :) Ha!

Joining in. This is a great TR! Your girls are adorable.

Jill in CO

Joining in. This is a great TR! Your girls are adorable.

Jill in CO

Hi!!! :welcome:

Thanks for joining in and reading the crazy TR! And thanks for the compliments on my little ones!!!

I hope to be productive & actually post another update this weekend. GASP!! Two in a week!! :)

I love all the pirate night pics! What a fun night! You all looked so in your pirate gear! Totally don't blame you guys for your fireworks rebellion. Seems like a great way to end pirate night to me.

We love Stitch! I think its definitely worth it to stand in line for pics! Looks fun!

I love all the pirate night pics! What a fun night! You all looked so in your pirate gear! Totally don't blame you guys for your fireworks rebellion. Seems like a great way to end pirate night to me.

Well pirates are rebellious by nature- so if I am to be kidnapped by Captain Jack in the future- I had to practice! :thumbsup2

We love Stitch! I think its definitely worth it to stand in line for pics! Looks fun!

I never understood the hate Stitch gets... he's so...cute and silly!!! I love seeing him in character as he's also very mischievous at the meet & greets!

Lets see if I can crank this puppy out before curriculum night...

Us rebel firework watching pirates went to bed happy with dreams of Jack Sparrow dancing through our heads. Ok- maybe that only applied to me. But whatever......

The alarm ringing at 6:45am brought us back to reality soon enough.

Today's adventures: St. Thomas. Activity: Snorkeling with Jaws.

That's how it's billed, seriously, in the Disney port of adventures section. No, no.. it's not. It was just called "half day snorkel and beach day". I added the Jaws part because I just KNEW I would swim into his open mouth and the second I jumped in the water the "da dum, da dum" music would start. And Roy Schieder would appear in a boat yelling "get out of the water".

Shoot, I watch too many movies.

Now, my family was not all together trusting my excursion choices on this trip after yesterday's fun on the island of drunk driving and prostitutes. Hmm. I wonder if Disboards is gonna let that word go through. I'm leaving it to try it out.

I had a lot to prove. I typically do not take ship excursions due to the high cost and high crowd factor of them. I like to venture out on my own. However, we did that last time in St. Thomas and the cost was still very high.. and this particular excursion got extremely high reviews consistently on the boards. And so I decided to give it a go.....

I'll let you determine whether that risk was worth it....

So anyways, up at 6:45 to dress, apply sunscreen, pack some bags & eat b-fast up at Cabanas. The day was kinda overcast which for snorkeling is not a bad thing....

We met in the WD theater at 8:15- there were about 65 of us on this tour and while that number may seem high- out on the catamaran and in the water- it didn't seem crowded at all.

We got off the boat and headed to the pier to board the Virgin Breeze. I will laugh if disboard bleeps out my boat name.

I made the children stop for a picture in the front of OUR boat. I love this picture.

We boarded our boat and found seats in the front. The crew was excellent and helpful. We started about a 20 minute boat ride to our first stop. They passed out snorkel gear and explained the rules & how to work it...

She is listening carefully. This was the first time our kids had snorkeled in the ocean.

She, too, has seen Jaws.

I was trying so very hard to not let my nervousness about sharks ruin anyone's experience.

We got to our first stop and the kids 'geared up'. I mean, how cute are these kids?

I would totally eat them if I were a shark if sharks based their attacks on cuteness.....

Come on people, really.... adorableness in heavy quantities right here:

Side note about this picture... we submitted this picture to China for our 2 year post-placement report. Why? Because here was a little girl- who for 4 years NEVER LEFT A ROOM in China. Who was scared of grass and wind and rain. 2 years later- this girl was willing and able to trust us enough to throw on weird looking gear and jump into a very scary unknown ocean to try! People, this little girls is AMAZING. I love her so much.... side note done.. and please note I will now not finish this post before curriculum night.

I am wordy.

We jumped in the water. And I handed off the camera to the hubs and older two to take pictures. Meanwhile I grasped on to a little girl as we hunted sharks.

(seriously the fins on her- so freaking cute!)

Dad. Camera and two girls meant.. yup.. pictures... underwater.

I'd like to point out that they say you should never wear high contrasting bathing suits or sparkly things in the ocean to avoid sharks. Rebecca chose to wear a neon green and back bikini with sparkly sequins on them. Mom shark proofing her baby..fail!! I noticed this too late. And so I said a prayer to the shark gods that they went after the less cute people (KIDDING!!!)

Okay, so another reason for my fear of sharks in this part is because this is an area known for turtle congregation. And guess what sharks like to eat.. yup. Turtles.

Thankfully, while adorable cute, this does NOT look like a turtle.

However, once Kurt spotted this.. I forgot all about sharks because this, people, ,was absolutely AMAZING!!!!

Wait, it gets better. Way better.

These pictures are not zoomed. We did not chase a turtle. The turtle was just THIS CLOSE to us while we bobbed around as shark bait. It was so, so awesome (did I Say that). Seriously, I was in awe that I was in the water right next to the majestic, wonderful sea turtle. It was so beautiful.

I honestly forgot all about sharks and just stared at wonder at what lies beneath the ocean surface. This is why I push aside my huge irrational fears and actually GET in the water and do this stuff.. and don't share my fears with my children- so they too can experience. Because this is living life. And this is a memory I nor my children will EVER forget .

So. Awesome.

Meanwhile, sparkly shark bait took the camera again.

My three awesome snorkelers not being eaten by jaws. Vacation memories happening here!

Oh, there's our boat. And my mother floating along on a water tube... she refuses to put on a snorkel mask. So she just floated.

After the turtle we moved closer to the reef with the older two while I deposited Char with Gram to float.

I had stopped searching out sharks and instead looked around. (this would have been a perfect time for Jaws to make his appearance)

Oh, and she wanted more pictures of herself. With her sparkly shark bait suit.

We swam back to the boat. Here's the non-sparkly cutie Sarah-

We got back on the boat and started to dry off. And we got ready to for the next part of the adventure....

So far, EVERYONE was loving this trip. Like- 3 months later I am still reliving the awesomeness of this!!!

And for the record.. I DID finish before curriculum night. Bonus!!

LOVE the sea turtle pictures! they are seriously my most favorite animal!!!!!!! they are just so amazingly awesome and magical--no wonder it showed up while you were on a DISNEY cruise! and, did you know their name in Hawaiian (honu) means luck? so see? he was obviously bringing you some good, no shark sighting, luck! :thumbsup2 we've seen them up close like that both times I've gone to Hawaii, so they'll bring you some more good luck when you go there on your vacation, i'm sure!

the girls all look too cute in their snorkel gear! and to think about all Charlie is getting to experience and brave enough to try--amazing! she's an awesome little person, isn't she? the picture that you like because you can see the fins on her feet, I like because of you two holding hands--so sweet!

i'm glad this part of your excursion was a success! I hope the next part of your day goes as well!

LOVE the sea turtle pictures! they are seriously my most favorite animal!!!!!!! they are just so amazingly awesome and magical--no wonder it showed up while you were on a DISNEY cruise! and, did you know their name in Hawaiian (honu) means luck? so see? he was obviously bringing you some good, no shark sighting, luck! :thumbsup2 we've seen them up close like that both times I've gone to Hawaii, so they'll bring you some more good luck when you go there on your vacation, i'm sure!

the girls all look too cute in their snorkel gear! and to think about all Charlie is getting to experience and brave enough to try--amazing! she's an awesome little person, isn't she? the picture that you like because you can see the fins on her feet, I like because of you two holding hands--so sweet!

i'm glad this part of your excursion was a success! I hope the next part of your day goes as well!

They are so awesome. To watch them in the water- just swimming by you- I was in serious awe. I know they populate the Hawaiian waters & I already have a 'snorkeling' map going on the islands we are going to.....

Now, the problem for me with Hawaii is there really is a HUGE number of Tiger sharks in those waters & I have read way too much.......... I am really, really hoping I can get past this! (in contrast, in all my research before the cruise I never actually came across much shark occurrence news)

I will hold on the fact that turtles are good luck so no sharks will make their appearance! :) (I'm so dumb, I know!) Where is the shark attack emoticon?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter