New to DAS, got some questions

GamingTrend

Earning My Ears
I'm 70% disabled and have trouble standing in one place for long periods of time, but I can push mom's wheelchair for days at a time -- it's just the standing in one place on concrete. I'm also 3/4 deaf. Obviously mom is in a chair, but can transfer, and my wife is 100% disabled, but can walk. That said, she's got rheumatoid arthritis so again standing in place for long periods of time is bad.

So...the questions:

1.) When we register for the DAS, do I give them this litany of pain for us three?
2.) Am I going to get jammed up because we can stand on our own two feet, but mom can't? Are they going to appreciate that we can't stand in place for long periods?
3.) What proof can I provide them? My 70% disability letter from the military? I imagine mom has something that shows her disability. Medicare card? I dunno.
4.) We can only select one thing at a time, right? I keep reading about 2 selections, and then a 3rd one when you get to the park? Can somebody clarify please?

Anything else I need to know? I really want us to enjoy our vacation -- it's sorely needed. I'm open to any suggestions, tips, or info. Thanks so much for this place -- I've already learned so much reading this forum and site!

Thanks,

Ron

Guest services won't look at letters-- and they aren't medically trained so they don't want diagnoses. You need to tell them why waiting in line is a problem for you. The standard solution to mobility issues that you mentioned is a wheelchair, rollator, or an ECV. Not sure about the deafness, but I am sure someone will come along that will know how to handle seating for shows.
If you are denied the DAS, try a few attractions without it, and then you can go back to GS and speak to them again, this time citing your most recent experiences.

I'm 70% disabled and have trouble standing in one place for long periods of time, but I can push mom's wheelchair for days at a time -- it's just the standing in one place on concrete. I'm also 3/4 deaf. Obviously mom is in a chair, but can transfer, and my wife is 100% disabled, but can walk. That said, she's got rheumatoid arthritis so again standing in place for long periods of time is bad.

So...the questions:

1.) When we register for the DAS, do I give them this litany of pain for us three?
2.) Am I going to get jammed up because we can stand on our own two feet, but mom can't? Are they going to appreciate that we can't stand in place for long periods?
3.) What proof can I provide them? My 70% disability letter from the military? I imagine mom has something that shows her disability. Medicare card? I dunno.
4.) We can only select one thing at a time, right? I keep reading about 2 selections, and then a 3rd one when you get to the park? Can somebody clarify please?

Anything else I need to know? I really want us to enjoy our vacation -- it's sorely needed. I'm open to any suggestions, tips, or info. Thanks so much for this place -- I've already learned so much reading this forum and site!

Thanks,

Ron
1 they do not care about your plans just why you can not wait in line.

2 the das is not for mobility problems I would focuse on other issue you have if you have any other issues

3 they will not look at medical records letter from dr.

4. If you do the video chat you can select up to two rides per day then once at the park you can add one ride at a time.

It sound like most of your problems are mobility witch do not qualify for the DAS I am not sure about hearing but I do not see how that effect waiting in line.

Disney has information on services for guests with hearing disabilities on this webpage: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/hearing-disabilities-services/

According to Disney, "A Guest whose disability requires them to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need DAS. Depending on the experience, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. If a Guest requires additional assistance, they should go to Guest Relations." See https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/disability-access-service/#faqItem19

One thing that many people in this forum describe doing if they are able to walk but have difficulty with standing in place is to create a buffer space or bubble when they are in lines, use the people in your party to create a larger (longer) than normal space in the line that your party will use and then the person(s) with trouble standing in place can pace and move about within that buffer/bubble, therefore not having to stand in place. Using a rollator, wheenchair or ECV, which gives a place to actually sit when needed, is another alternative that some people report using, sometimes in conjunction with the buffer/bubble concept as well.

DH's sister is deaf and has been deaf for, well, pretty much always. In the days of the GAC pass, she qualified, BUT since GAC changed to DAS she no longer qualifies. Now, to be fair, she was a child when the GAC was a thing, so I'm not even sure she should have qualified but she had adults speaking for her. She uses the handheld captioning devices when she visits and says they are great.

As for your pain/walking/standing issues, most CMs are likely to see these as "mobility issues" which don't qualify for the DAS. However, I could be incorrect, but I feel it is important to acknowledge that mobility issues technically don't qualify so you are not surprised if DAS is not granted.

And, as said, Disney doesn't care about, nor will they look at, "proof".

DAS passes are not for all disabled, but for specific classes of disability. Be prepared that you may not qualify, and that you might want to think of "Plan B" alternatives for what you would do without a DAS - be it Genie+, LL, the buffer bubbles in line, having shorter days in parks, etc...

Different disabilities need different accommodations. DAS is only 1 form of accommodation offered by Disney. If the individual's need(s) are met in a different manner then DAS won't be issued. . For example a wheelchair/ECV/mobility device is typically recommended for needs related to standing or changing position. Needs for specific seating at shows is handled at the attraction, not by DAS. Use of an audio device can be arranged through Guest Relations but does not require a DAS. When requesting DAS you should focus on those needs which cannot be met by another means, so a "litany of pains" isn't likely to get a DAS. No proof is needed and won't be looked at.

Also, keep in mind that the accommodation provided by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the line.
So, the things you need to be prepared to discuss are the disability related issues that prevent you from waiting in the regular line. Things like specific seating, avoiding stairs for the few attractions that have stairs are not things DAS addresses. Those are handled by talking to CMs at attractions.

DAS also doesn’t provide a place to sit in line, so guests won‘t have a place to sit unless they are using a device that has a seat. Some attractions have a standing wait for all guests - usually ones like Soarin’, Flight of Passage, Test Track - that load in batches or shows where you may be standing in one place waiting for the current theater full of guests to leave the theater so your group can enter.

So what happens if you have mobility issues to where you cant walk?
if in a line EMTs will come and remove you to first aid or you use a mobility device that meets your needs. and yes I have had to be removed from a line. worst part was everyone behind me in line had to be removed so EMTs could get equipment into me. do not want to repeat

So what happens if you have mobility issues to where you cant walk?
You can rent a wheelchair or ECV from Disney directly or rent from a third party company, OR you can bring your own mobility device to the parks and use it. At Walt Disney World, almost every line is compliant for wheelchairs and ECVs. If it is not, the CM at the line will direct you with what the appropriate accomodation is, whether that's transferring from an ECV to wheelchair that's provided at the attraction, or getting a return time and entering through a separate entrance later.

if in a line EMTs will come and remove you to first aid or you use a mobility device that meets your needs. and yes I have had to be removed from a line. worst part was everyone behind me in line had to be removed so EMTs could get equipment into me. do not want to repeat
Oh. Yeah. My.mom would be embarrassed and apologizing all over the place. Thats why I'm asking a lot of questions now. She doesn't have experience and would hate to feel like a burden.

I am renting my.mom and ECV. I was wondering if she would wait in line with us or we all would be moved to an accessible line with her. She can barely walk at all.
She will be able to remain in the ECV in line. There are a few lines that ECVs cannot go in. There, the CMs will provide a wheelchair for her to remain in for the duration of the line. But she will need to wait in line with you, she cannot wait elsewhere or join you later, and even for the DAS pass there is no "accessibility line". DAS people use the lightning lane line

I am renting my.mom and ECV. I was wondering if she would wait in line with us or we all would be moved to an accessible line with her. She can barely walk at all.
Most lines at Disney World are accessible, so you would all wait together. For lines that aren’t accessible, she would get a return time for all of you that would admit to an accessible entrance

I have had major surgery that often cause issues with being in line. I also can have other issues related with waiting in close lines. Never have had any questions from CM and have always been qualified for DAS and its predecessor. Took one simple statement from me this year during the video chat. Your word is the only necessary proof. The DAS pass is a godsend that makes Disney possible for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth mentioning since she can "barely walk at all" there are rides where she will have to transfer. Meaning, she can't remain in the wheelchair or ECV while ON the ride and will need to stand up, walk a few steps, and step down or up into the ride independently or with help from you (CMs cannot help her). Disney has a whole section outlining this on their website which would be very helpful for you to review before your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter