New Theme park At Disney

Well yes that's how it's always been but Walt and not even Eisner put this many exclusive, hard ticket, add ons, as they have now. Walt wasn't just in it for the fun even though some of it was but today's disney milks it before any previous one. I would say once the mid 90s came that's when disney started to get more and more into where they are today. More for less.
You may not approve of their business strategies, but obviously the vast majority of customers do. That's the problem, they're receiving 100s millions of dollars in positive reinforcement. If most customer really felt that they were being ripped off they would show their disdain by not buying the product or by buying less of it. The exact opposite has happened over the last year. Occupancy is hitting highs after years of softness. Attendance is up. Also guest spending is increasing. All these factors come together, and they don't paint a picture of guests demanding new attractions. Just the reverse.

You may not approve of their business strategies, but obviously the vast majority of customers do. That's the problem, they're receiving 100s millions of dollars in positive reinforcement. If most customer really felt that they were being ripped off they would show their disdain by not buying the product or by buying less of it. The exact opposite has happened over the last year. Occupancy is hitting highs after years of softness. Attendance is up. Also guest spending is increasing. All these factors come together, and they don't paint a picture of guests demanding new attractions. Just the reverse.
Again like I said the vast majority of these people just don't know this is their first visit they don't think they are getting ripped off or anything. I myself don't feel that I'm getting ripped off but I do feel that I am getting less for the amount I pay and that's something to worry about if it continues. Which I believe it will.

Again like I said the vast majority of these people just don't know this is their first visit they don't think they are getting ripped off or anything. I myself don't feel that I'm getting ripped off but I do feel that I am getting less for the amount I pay and that's something to worry about if it continues. Which I believe it will.
If they don't feel like they are being ripped off, then they have taken part in a good transaction. We'll have to see if others feel the same way.

But if the only people that feel like they aren't getting ripped off are first time visitors, then your business model has a problem. Your only profit is to continue to generate new visitors. Most businesses have found that repeat customers are far more valuable since you don't have to spend a fortune to get them to use your product. Disney seems to believe it easier to solicit first timers only. While that works in the short term (a major flaw in many business strategies), it can be considered a major flaw in the long term.

OBviously, with the numbers Disney sees, they are getting repeat business, but I would think at some point the value (or lack thereof) would start to turn people away. The past few years, I have heard that from a lot of people, that it wasn't worth their money. They wished they would have just done UNiversal for 2-3 days instead of spending that time at Disney. Good for UNiversal, but what a shame for Disney. That is a lot of lost revenue.

But if the only people that feel like they aren't getting ripped off are first time visitors, then your business model has a problem. Your only profit is to continue to generate new visitors. Most businesses have found that repeat customers are far more valuable since you don't have to spend a fortune to get them to use your product. Disney seems to believe it easier to solicit first timers only. While that works in the short term (a major flaw in many business strategies), it can be considered a major flaw in the long term.

OBviously, with the numbers Disney sees, they are getting repeat business, but I would think at some point the value (or lack thereof) would start to turn people away. The past few years, I have heard that from a lot of people, that it wasn't worth their money. They wished they would have just done UNiversal for 2-3 days instead of spending that time at Disney. Good for UNiversal, but what a shame for Disney. That is a lot of lost revenue.
While me and my buddy were discussing Profits, and I was digging through decade old SEC filings I came across this line from a 2002 10 K. Now I know it's old, but I think it's still relevant even today:
"Lower guest spending at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland was driven by ticket and other promotional programs as well as a higher mix of local guests, who have higher annual pass usage and tend to spend less per visit"
The locals, and APs are the enemies. They only hurt Disney during times of prosperity like these. They're also the last ones to give up on Disney when times are bad. Insurance.

I've not run into that. I actually knew someone who just went over Christmas Break (I know), and wasn't expecting much. He ended up having fun. I guess it goes both ways.

HS has two hit attractions, with out TOT and RcRC it may not appear as worth it to people. Personally- I can't imagine not going to HS during my Disney Stay, even without those two rides. I feel HS is just part of that Disney Experience.

Not a new park but the rumor is a big redo. The rumors are that they are going to change the name, and build a StarWars Land and a Pixar Land at the park. If both of those things were done and they included E-ticket rides then it would basically be a new park. Additionally, confirmed as happening is a new Great Movie Ride and a third track on the ToyStory ride. As of now this park only has 6 attractions as far as I know - Tower of Terror, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Muppets, Movie Ride, & Toy Story. Those 6 attractions are all great (well except for the Great Movie Ride) but it's not enough to spend a whole day at. They need to double the amount of attractions and build at least 2-3 more E-ticket rides.

While me and my buddy were discussing Profits, and I was digging through decade old SEC filings I came across this line from a 2002 10 K. Now I know it's old, but I think it's still relevant even today:
"Lower guest spending at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland was driven by ticket and other promotional programs as well as a higher mix of local guests, who have higher annual pass usage and tend to spend less per visit"
The locals, and APs are the enemies. They only hurt Disney during times of prosperity like these. They're also the last ones to give up on Disney when times are bad. Insurance.

I've not run into that. I actually knew someone who just went over Christmas Break (I know), and wasn't expecting much. He ended up having fun. I guess it goes both ways.

Different thread...same issue...
Not understanding the way the gator swims in the swamp.

Locals and APs form the backbone of the customers...now with "distant locals" - DVC.

Do they buy the junk where the real money is made? No... So management doesn't like them.

But they always go running back to them when times are bad...and make NO mistake...it will happen again...and again... Until the place closes it's doors...

2002 was the strangest year (and worst) in the history of wdw and in many ways - Los estados unidos...

It is hard to explain the fog that was present over southwestern orange and northwestern Osceola counties ...but I lived it.

It's very hard to draw a lasting model based on that time...with the EXCEPTION of the collapse of the Eisner era and specifically what was perceived as his lost touch in parks...

And that... Is the take away...when the phoney money is NOT free flowing and even the blind customer starts to ask "what am I paying for?"

Iger's retirement plan is as see through as Saran Wrap...

They feel as though they can build their own "bubble" that insulates themselves for a particular amount of time...they're thinking princess/pixar/star wars/ and avengers...
It's a pretty good plan...

How long can you keep
Air in the bubble? I bet 3-5
Years - conservatively...

Hmmm...that's funny. 10 marvel movies...5 (which is kinda ridiculous) Star Wars movies...5 or so Pixar (including the heaviest hitters)...and new cranking at disney studio animation...
It's like there's a timetable or something...

Hmmm

So what would happen if it breaks in say...2019?

Answer: nobody cares.

Why are they gonna name Staggs as CEO?

My theory?
He's disposable...he's a steward that the board (you know...talking to apple/Pixar people...and soon Iger) can easily dispose of as a release valve....if you need a "controlled drain"'on the Disney bubble.

HS has two hit attractions, with out TOT and RcRC it may not appear as worth it to people. Personally- I can't imagine not going to HS during my Disney Stay, even without those two rides. I feel HS is just part of that Disney Experience.

It's becoming more difficult to do so...attendance is rising and the park is not capable of producing a good enough product now...

They have failed to commit to making it a true wdw themepark (have been dragging their feet for 20 years)...and now that may become a nightmare.

Even if they announce this "assumed...but in no way guaranteed" huge retrofit...
It will take a decade based on their new MO...

How can studios make it to that date?
It maybe they want it to force people to AK and downtown (that would be wise)...and then they can swing back around. I'd give them credit if they were that wise.

But I think their belief is that they've just outsmarted everyone... And we'll do what they say as long as they say it.

They may have a point there.

Brown derby gets me in MGM...
Nothing else. I love rockinroller coaster...but their system doesn't allow me to use it with any freedom/accommodation anymore and the wait time was 120 minutes yesterday at 1 pm...

A 52 second ride that was built in 1998...

Last edited:
I don't fully get the DHS hate on here. TSMM is great, so is RnRC, the ToT is popular, as is Star Tours and there are a bunch of other great attractions like Disney Junior, Ariel live on stage, Animation Academy, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Beauty and the Beast musical, Muppets 3D, Frozen Sing Along. Certainly if you like shows, then its a full day park. In the overall scheme of things, American Idol just closed, which is no loss at all, clearly its going to take time for them to replace that but the park will be better for it. I wish that they hadn't closed the back lot tour and I wish they instead returned it to its prior glory, or at least had closed it at the last minute prior to replacement rather than letting it sit empty. Streets of America is a total dud imo and it always has been. My kids quite like the Honey I shrunk the Kids playground. Overall DHS has many things that are great, the issue is that there are fewer things that are must dos every trip because while the shows are good, they are not so good that you can't miss them and most of the people on this board go so often that becomes an issue for them where for the average tourist who goes to Disney very rarely it is not

So what you're saying is...you're a fan of MGM?

It's obviously a great park for many...however the consensus I get... Especially in recent years...is that the park is viewed as lacking and the desire is for a needed and large up date is there.

That doesn't hold true for everyone...of course

Although a new theme park has its own way of excitng the masses I wouldn't be surprised to see regular 24 hour days in select parks as part of a weekly rotation. With the registers able to be open this long I am shocked it isn't a regular occurrence already. Cleaning and maintenance would need to be factored in but for the ticket prices I think they would figure it out.

Although a new theme park has its own way of excitng the masses I wouldn't be surprised to see regular 24 hour days in select parks as part of a weekly rotation. With the registers able to be open this long I am shocked it isn't a regular occurrence already. Cleaning and maintenance would need to be factored in but for the ticket prices I think they would figure it out.

When they make it a special once a year thing it's a pretty big draw, but I they made it a regular thing I believe the cost would out weight the benefit pretty quickly.

When they make it a special once a year thing it's a pretty big draw, but I they made it a regular thing I believe the cost would out weight the benefit pretty quickly.
They could do late night WS though. Drinks until 1AM could keep it open.

Here's what I would do with DHS if I was in charge:

Wait for Avatarland, the new night show at AK, and Disney Springs to open. In the meantime get all the paperwork and hiring and planning done for the DHS Star Wars and Pixar upgrades.

Then close the left half of DHS - From Echo lake to just past TSMM.
This keeps the best rides open (sorry Star Tours and Muppets) but allows for construction to take place with minimal guest interruption. Instead of a maze of construction walls, there will just be one wall along the left side of the park and no need to only work at night. They would need to charge less for a single day admission to the park - but do they sell many of those anyway?

With all the new stuff at AK and Disney Springs, I think shuttering half of DHS is doable - especially if it gets the new lands open in half the time (or less).

They could do late night WS though. Drinks until 1AM could keep it open.

I'd love this. We went there without our son for one night last trip (my parents were watching the LO) during EMH the day after F&W stopped and it was practically empty. We stayed til 11 or 12, and it was one of the best experiences we've had at Disney. Loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter