• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Theme park At Disney

old lady

DIS Veteran
I read sometwhere that they are going to replace Hollywood Studios at Disneyworld with another theme park?

I think you're confused by the name change. As far as I know, there will not be a "new" park, just a makeover for Hollywood Studios. They confirmed a name change for the park, but it has not been announced what it will be changed to. Also, there have been renovations to the Great Movie Ride, the Sorcerer's Hat has

Been taken down, And a couple of attractions have been closed. So, it will be a huge makeover, but not a new park.

Just got back and spent only a few hours there. Not that many rides to keep me busy I would love some new rides. Streets of America is good for only a few minutes.

For me it's always been a park with great potential that Disney has never gotten it's full potential out of.There's been rumors over the years that they could expand the park as it is a pretty small park but the problem is with Disney and it's lack of investment in new attractions giving it no reason to ever need to expand it.The park is 26 years old with many attractions that probably should have been retired awhile ago.It's basically ToT,RnRc,TSMM and Star Tours,everything else is replaceable.

For me it's always been a park with great potential that Disney has never gotten it's full potential out of.There's been rumors over the years that they could expand the park as it is a pretty small park but the problem is with Disney and it's lack of investment in new attractions giving it no reason to ever need to expand it.The park is 26 years old with many attractions that probably should have been retired awhile ago.It's basically ToT,RnRc,TSMM and Star Tours,everything else is replaceable.

I agree totally. This park could be awesome. I really like it at night better than during the day. But it needs more attractions.

Thrill rides!

Let's see: Hollywood whatever already has a drop tower, a roller coaster and a relatively decent high energy motion simulator. More "thrill" rides? Go to Universal if you want random G forces.

What the Disney "movie" park is actually a candidate for is some big, truly immersive state-of-the-art dark rides. They need inspiration? study HP at Universal and figure out what the next level of technology is that can deliver an even higher level of fantasy experience. Yes, the GMR is going to get upgraded, but given the rich film genre there are all sorts of additional possibilties Disney should be exploring.

Let's see: Hollywood whatever already has a drop tower, a roller coaster and a relatively decent high energy motion simulator. More "thrill" rides? Go to Universal if you want random G forces.

What the Disney "movie" park is actually a candidate for is some big, truly immersive state-of-the-art dark rides. They need inspiration? study HP at Universal and figure out what the next level of technology is that can deliver an even higher level of fantasy experience. Yes, the GMR is going to get upgraded, but given the rich film genre there are all sorts of additional possibilties Disney should be exploring.

Lets see: You said (a) drop tower,(a) roller coaster, and (a) relatively decent high energy motion simulator. Ya, that's worth $95???? Until they UPGRADE this place and call it whatever this time NO way is it worth the price of admission!!! You must get the hopper added to your ticket because this is a few hour Park to half day park at best. Maybe they should have put Avatar here that's a movie.

Yeah,DHS is ToT,RnRc,the Star Wars ride and TSMM,everything else is due for a change,I prefer they dont touch the streets of America so the Osborne Lights can stay there and the Star Wars ride is included since they changed the movie but the actual ride is 1980's technology.Avatar is fine at AK since that Park also needed more additions.What DHS needs is almost a complete makeover keeping only the Todes mentioned and if possible adding more area to the Park,I Know theres been Talk of this before where one of the entrances is removed,I believe the World Dr one to add more room to the Park with a new entrance on Victory way.

Lets see: You said (a) drop tower,(a) roller coaster, and (a) relatively decent high energy motion simulator. Ya, that's worth $95???? Until they UPGRADE this place and call it whatever this time NO way is it worth the price of admission!!! You must get the hopper added to your ticket because this is a few hour Park to half day park at best. Maybe they should have put Avatar here that's a movie.

Totally agree. It seems they are pushing all their traffic into MK. If that park reaches capacity, where is there to go if you have hoppers? A few hours at AK & HS is not worth the prices they are charging. It'll be at least three years until they finish. They take forever to build, meanwhile Universal takes 1/3 the time to get whole lands up and running. Yes, Disney needs more rides. More thril rides at HS & AK - if you want dark rides, go to MK. They are too busy putting capital dollars into Shanghai and spending 1 billion on a technology devised to get guests into shops to spend more. They have turned the experience into paying $100+ to shop.

Totally agree. It seems they are pushing all their traffic into MK. If that park reaches capacity, where is there to go if you have hoppers? A few hours at AK & HS is not worth the prices they are charging. It'll be at least three years until they finish. They take forever to build, meanwhile Universal takes 1/3 the time to get whole lands up and running. Yes, Disney needs more rides. More thril rides at HS & AK - if you want dark rides, go to MK. They are too busy putting capital dollars into Shanghai and spending 1 billion on a technology devised to get guests into shops to spend more. They have turned the experience into paying $100+ to shop.
And you have just found the way behind today's disney company. They want as much money out of you as possible.

And you have just found the way behind today's disney company. They want as much money out of you as possible.

This is sadly becoming very true. We used Disney in a finance class that I was taking this past fall, and that was the very point the professor made about Disney - they are essentially turning everything into a marketing stream for sales of various products/toys. It is no longer about providing entertainment. He used the Magic Bands as his final point in that class - who spends a billion dollars to get you to spend money, unless they are leveraging everything to generate more sales than that. The parks used to generate significant revenue (we spent a lot of time on financial statements), and still do, but it seems like Disney is looking for something that is more economy-independent. The 8-year downtown seemed too frightening to them from the parks perspective. I didn't see any frightening numbers in there, but the professor said they may have been internal numbers that scared Disney execs to the point that the parks are no longer seen as revenue generators in all economies. I think he must have been a Disney-phile at heart, but it was a little depressing to listen to as we evaluated their financial position and future. A marketing and sales company? So sad.

Last edited:
This is sadly becoming very true. We used Disney in a finance class that I was taking this past fall, and that was the very point the professor made about Disney - they are essentially turning everything into a marketing stream for sales of various products/toys. It is no longer about providing entertainment. He used the Magic Bands as his final point in that class - who spends a billion dollars to get you to spend money, unless they are leveraging everything to generate more sales than that. The parks used to generate significant revenue (we spent a lot of time on financial statements), and still do, but it seems like Disney is looking for something that is more economy-independent. The 8-year downtown seemed too frightening to them from the parks perspective. I didn't see any frightening numbers in there, but the professor said they may have been internal numbers that scared Disney execs to the point that the parks are no longer seen as revenue generators in all economies. I think he must have been a Disney-phile at heart, but it was a little depressing to listen to as we evaluated their financial position and future. A marketing and sales company? So sad.

So what your saying is we should be buying stock in Disney...

I think that's always how it's been...

Scratch that. There was one time when Disney had no intention of raising prices no matter how obviously beneficial it would be. That was during the late 70s and early 80s. The company suffered through some of its worst times then. Ironically it was only in the face of large price increases after Eisner took over that the Disney Decade started. Walt Disney loved money as much as the next guy. Look to his WED sale that caused some ruffled feathers.

Last edited:
I think that's always how it's been...

Scratch that. There was one time when Disney had no intention of raising prices no matter how obviously beneficial it would be. That was during the late 70s and early 80s. The company suffered through some of its worst times then. Ironically it was only in the face of large price increases after Eisner took over that the Disney Decade started. Walt Disney loved money as much as the next guy. Look to his WED sale that caused some ruffled feathers.
Well yes that's how it's always been but Walt and not even Eisner put this many exclusive, hard ticket, add ons, as they have now. Walt wasn't just in it for the fun even though some of it was but today's disney milks it before any previous one. I would say once the mid 90s came that's when disney started to get more and more into where they are today. More for less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter