New survey .. proposal .. Tiered Ticket Prices

After 20+ years of visiting exclusively WDW and our last visit in Dec. For 9-13 days every other year, I've finally decided I'm going to consider vacationing elsewhere. Everyone has their breaking point, and after the last visit, I felt so disenchanted w/ the "money-grab" vibe, that I came home and within a few month decided to sell our DVC. Yes, there has always been "money-grab" and I for one do NOT begrudge a business profits in the least. I own a small business, and I'm all for healthy businesses. But when the profits come at a cost of the "magic" and we pay more for less and less, I just finally reached my limit. We'll do 4 days at DLR for the first time next year and then who knows. I've come to terms w/ my feeling less and less magic at Disney, and I'll still visit, but not much anymore. The day I really realized this I was in tears. It's always been my "happy place" so when you lose something that was so dear to you, you really feel like it's a death of sorts. A death of a loved friend.

KittyAB, not all AP people got or will get the survey. I'm one until Sept. this year and I haven't.

Whether they implement the new tier pricing or not, I'm on my way out. Im taking 2 friends this October who have never been and in about 3 years I'll take my granddaughter. After that, so long Disney.

I have never been to Universal, Universal IOA, Busch Gardens, or Sea World. Disney is the -ONLY- theme park my family has visited since the first trip in 1976 (my first trip was in 1989). Disney has been my bubble to get away from it all.

But no longer. Now, they are just another theme park. And I can visit "just another theme park" that I haven't seen yet and not have to worry about trying to make a reservation 6 months in advance for somewhere I'd like to eat, or trying to figure out which ride I'll be near 2 months in advance. Nope. Too stressful and quite frankly, stupid, at this point.

I'm looking forward to a new chapter of theme parks.

We are AP holders and have not gotten a survey. With most of you I strongly dislike this idea. I wish we knew how it would 'in theory' effect AP prices...

For all of those saying "it won't happen" and "until it happens, it isn't worth giving another thought" - that was the same thing everybody said when Disney was sending surveys about the 'ability to book rides prior to your trip' and now we know that as FP+. Just sayin'.............

Because it's usually the last straw, not the whole enchelada. Think about it that way and maybe you can understand, even if this wasn't YOUR personal last straw.
But this isn't a straw. It is a survey. Nothing has changed. People are upset over what they think MIGHT change because of a survey.

It is just a survey.

You don't have to understand it...nor do you have to participate in it. If others are concerned enough to speak up about it, so be it.
Yep, but I can comment on what I read here, just as anyone can comment about what I post.

I never criticized anyone for their comments. I just don't understand the angst.

After 20+ years of visiting exclusively WDW and our last visit in Dec. For 9-13 days every other year, I've finally decided I'm going to consider vacationing elsewhere. Everyone has their breaking point, and after the last visit, I felt so disenchanted w/ the "money-grab" vibe, that I came home and within a few month decided to sell our DVC. Yes, there has always been "money-grab" and I for one do NOT begrudge a business profits in the least. I own a small business, and I'm all for healthy businesses. But when the profits come at a cost of the "magic" and we pay more for less and less, I just finally reached my limit. We'll do 4 days at DLR for the first time next year and then who knows. I've come to terms w/ my feeling less and less magic at Disney, and I'll still visit, but not much anymore. The day I really realized this I was in tears. It's always been my "happy place" so when you lose something that was so dear to you, you really feel like it's a death of sorts. A death of a loved friend.

KittyAB, not all AP people got or will get the survey. I'm one until Sept. this year and I haven't.

If you have only visited Disney you may not have idea how little of a money grab Disney is comparative to other parks (not discussing the tickets). DH and I often comment when visiting other parks both in the US and other countries (most specifically Australia).
-The price you pay for your meals and what you get for that money. We have just gotten back from our most recent visit to Gold Coast and a kids meal in parks was an average of $13 and included a kids sandwich, a juicebox and and a trinket toy. Not a large enough meal to feed our 18 month old let alone our 5 year old (this was the same across 6 different parks). Even Universal where the price was comparable to a Mickey Check meal the meal itself was substantially smaller and less choice.
-The price you pay for merchandise in the Disney parks is mostly comparable to heading to a toy store (the only exception I can think of is the Princess Dresses which I know are park exclusive and nicer then the "store" versions but none the less I aint spending $75 on a costume dress for a 3 year old.)
-Memory maker while not cheap is completely optional and the PP photographers will use your camera. At Movieworld in Gold Coast you had to pay $20 to have your photo taken with the Looney Tunes Characters.
- I appreciate that Disney doesnt sell a skip the line pass of any sort, I hope to never see they day they do, they are one of the few parks around that this is not an option. Undoubtedly they are leaving money on the table not selling them, of course people would buy them that would it the nail in the coffin for me.
-No on the "money-grab" topic but they are one of the few parks with a useful parent swap program.

I think all the extras can add up but I have rarely felt that any individual meal, tour, experience, add on has not been worth the money.

You know all of this talk about further locking you into specific days actually makes our type of visit easier. We only go to the Disney parks for a few days anyway so being locked in for a few days doesn't seem like such a big deal particularly if we can avoid the more expensive days. I can see planning an MK day and an AK day and planning to ridiculous extents for those days but then we can relax for the rest of the trip.

If you have only visited Disney you may not have idea how little of a money grab Disney is comparative to other parks (not discussing the tickets). DH and I often comment when visiting other parks both in the US and other countries (most specifically Australia).
-The price you pay for your meals and what you get for that money. We have just gotten back from our most recent visit to Gold Coast and a kids meal in parks was an average of $13 and included a kids sandwich, a juicebox and and a trinket toy. Not a large enough meal to feed our 18 month old let alone our 5 year old (this was the same across 6 different parks). Even Universal where the price was comparable to a Mickey Check meal the meal itself was substantially smaller and less choice.
-The price you pay for merchandise in the Disney parks is mostly comparable to heading to a toy store (the only exception I can think of is the Princess Dresses which I know are park exclusive and nicer then the "store" versions but none the less I aint spending $75 on a costume dress for a 3 year old.)
-Memory maker while not cheap is completely optional and the PP photographers will use your camera. At Movieworld in Gold Coast you had to pay $20 to have your photo taken with the Looney Tunes Characters.
- I appreciate that Disney doesnt sell a skip the line pass of any sort, I hope to never see they day they do, they are one of the few parks around that this is not an option. Undoubtedly they are leaving money on the table not selling them, of course people would buy them that would it the nail in the coffin for me.
-No on the "money-grab" topic but they are one of the few parks with a useful parent swap program.

I think all the extras can add up but I have rarely felt that any individual meal, tour, experience, add on has not been worth the money.

I agree! I just planned/paid for my first trip (all previous trips were paid for by my parents), and I was pleasantly surprised by the cost of -edible!- park food and souvenirs. Possibly because I live in a major city with high-ish taxes, but also because I think Disney really gets you at the gate and resort.

And since you brought it up... I prefer our local theme park's child swap -- parents and kids go through together. I've thought about taking my kids to Disney without my husband, but I wouldn't be able to walk my oldest through some lines, because of my youngest. I get it; I just don't like it.

hi p~pony....fyi, i cringed when i read your dvc thread....& hope maybe you would change
your mind? ( from the previous threads, i always thought dvc needed more owners liked
yourself. ).

just a reminder, from a mental/health professional, no matter of all the material issues
that leads to disappointments ....even with all the mistakes disney are making,,,
the "next visit" will be an empty sheet that can be whatever you are wishing for....

something we use frequently...(in our ways of thinking)... that no matter how bad
things get, even "streaks" of very bad missed fortunes...just because, they only increase
the chances for turning it around...esp. when one applies a lil'thing call problem solving.

as for the dvc system, i've been active learning.....& is being amazed how many
major issues that are ignored/covered up by their managers. from rci to insider
benefits....& possible illegal actions. but like all problems, all that is really
needed , is pro-recon with s/p corrective actions. but more than anything ,dvc
needs better ownership via those caring enough to educate themselves
on their daily operations.

why post'um here ?...the same goes for the parks. for all the disney glitter.....it still just
a "location" for creating, whatever memories a family "prized". ( some of ours
very best-- had came about ---by surprises )

because we have dvc , lead us to investing appox . $10,000 non-expiring
tickets since our blt purchase. ( we figured it will get us thru the next 25
years/plus g.children ). going backwards, we still have the disney
shows /specials & how they stressed the benefits of buying these
tickets for the savings....so it was shocking when they did away with them
this year....& this action seem to have no meanings. until now..."this
survey" is a strong indicator.

the funny thing is, i'm no great disney fanatic. see my deer picture? we
just won an auction that has dozens of trophy whitetails. 3 developers
were trying to get this old farm....to sell it off.....& it took our last
bid to keep it "wild". but i think, as long as you don't forget all the
feelings for going on a disney vacation, then you can always have
a special time , no matter the mistakes~ me, you and/or they make.

I leave next week! Can't wait. Got that one under control. But...

I will return to WDW in July with extended family. Dealing with the FP+ has been a nightmare.

I can see how dynamic pricing would be easy for regular tickets. Go online, pick your days, pay your tickets, choose your FP+. Locked in can't change your mind. Devious really. I can see the pricing tiers work like DVC POINTS. it could have some effect on moving crowds around. Maybe even to different parks on a given day.

That all assumes they can get the Software right. That could take a decade!

Have an awesome time at DLR! That resort is a testament to what you get when you invest in attractions instead of a ride reservation system.

It's no secret I'm not a fan of FP+. But I haven't sworn off of WDW yet because of it. I just opted to head west while they sorted things out on the other coast. Dynamic pricing would probably get me to swear off though. And not because of possible price increases, although that would certainly be a motivator. My biggest issue would be what it would do to our ability to predict low crowd times. I'm sure they're trying to flatten out the spikes and move some of the crowds from peak times to less crowded times, which officially puts us at cross purposes.

The one saving grace at Disney is mitigating all he nonsense by being here during lower crowds. If that becomes hard to pin down, then I'm probably out.

No, I have not ONLY visited Disney, but Fl is the only place we fly as a family for vacation and we've done the Universals, Sea World, Busch Gardens down there, and then other parks back here within driving distance of where we live. I suppose I should say the difference is that at all of the other parks, the "money-grab" was obvious and quite frankly, expected. I never overtly felt it at WDW as badly as I do now. It never bothered me is what I'm saying because there were so many other things you got for it.

hi p~pony....fyi, i cringed when i read your dvc thread....& hope maybe you would change
your mind? ( from the previous threads, i always thought dvc needed more owners liked
yourself. ).

just a reminder, from a mental/health professional, no matter of all the material issues
that leads to disappointments ....even with all the mistakes disney are making,,,
the "next visit" will be an empty sheet that can be whatever you are wishing for....

something we use frequently...(in our ways of thinking)... that no matter how bad
things get, even "streaks" of very bad missed fortunes...just because, they only increase
the chances for turning it around...esp. when one applies a lil'thing call problem solving.

as for the dvc system, i've been active learning.....& is being amazed how many
major issues that are ignored/covered up by their managers. from rci to insider
benefits....& possible illegal actions. but like all problems, all that is really
needed , is pro-recon with s/p corrective actions. but more than anything ,dvc
needs better ownership via those caring enough to educate themselves
on their daily operations.

why post'um here ?...the same goes for the parks. for all the disney glitter.....it still just
a "location" for creating, whatever memories a family "prized". ( some of ours
very best-- had came about ---by surprises )

because we have dvc , lead us to investing appox . $10,000 non-expiring
tickets since our blt purchase. ( we figured it will get us thru the next 25
years/plus g.children ). going backwards, we still have the disney
shows /specials & how they stressed the benefits of buying these
tickets for the savings....so it was shocking when they did away with them
this year....& this action seem to have no meanings. until now..."this
survey" is a strong indicator.

the funny thing is, i'm no great disney fanatic. see my deer picture? we
just won an auction that has dozens of trophy whitetails. 3 developers
were trying to get this old farm....to sell it off.....& it took our last
bid to keep it "wild". but i think, as long as you don't forget all the
feelings for going on a disney vacation, then you can always have
a special time , no matter the mistakes~ me, you and/or they make.
I just wanted to say <3 <3:flower3: It was a very, VERY hard decision to make. Theough the tough economy when y business wasn't doing well AT ALL, I still held onto that DVC like my life-blood. An oasis in a busy life. A place you KNEW you could retreat to and be happy. We still have time to change our minds, but unless my art sales turn around quickly, I can't in good conscience, make my family hang on to MY dream. Which honestly, is what the DVC had always been. :lovestruc

Last edited:
But this isn't a straw. It is a survey. Nothing has changed. People are upset over what they think MIGHT change because of a survey.

It is just a survey.

It is fun to play along. Guess where things are going. Since I have a DVC account that lasts for 32 more years, potential changes like this do affect me. If I don't like the direction Disney is going (And I don't for sure with FP+) then I need to reconsider if I want to continue paying my ever increasing maintenance fees. Good investors try to predict and stay up on the changing market. I feel a little like Planogirl. This could work out ok for me if I can take advantage of the non peak times. I don't know how it's going to work, but it's coming.

While I don't really care a great deal whether they change the price structure - if this system relieves some of the crowds during the summer months, I'm all for it. Other than a rare exception, June and July are the only months we're able to visit.

Have an awesome time at DLR! That resort is a testament to what you get when you invest in attractions instead of a ride reservation system.

It's no secret I'm not a fan of FP+. But I haven't sworn off of WDW yet because of it. I just opted to head west while they sorted things out on the other coast. Dynamic pricing would probably get me to swear off though. And not because of possible price increases, although that would certainly be a motivator. My biggest issue would be what it would do to our ability to predict low crowd times. I'm sure they're trying to flatten out the spikes and move some of the crowds from peak times to less crowded times, which officially puts us at cross purposes.

The one saving grace at Disney is mitigating all he nonsense by being here during lower crowds. If that becomes hard to pin down, then I'm probably out.

You are definitely on the money. Leveling out attendance at the parks has been the game from the beginning. Magic bands, FP+ and dynamic pricing would be powerful tools to accomplish this. I agree that puts me at cross purposes too.

My daughter and I were looking at the rides in DAK last night. That park has the lowest ride capacity. As it becomes a "full day" park (with the addition of night time show and Pandora) Disney will have more tools to force people into that giant space. Although there still won't be enough rides to handle the people and tiers will most definitely go into place there too.

My daughter went to WDW in March and reported long lines for TTA, Small World, and Haunted Mansion. With this new reality it's going to take a few more fixes...

While I don't really care a great deal whether they change the price structure - if this system relieves some of the crowds during the summer months, I'm all for it. Other than a rare exception, June and July are the only months we're able to visit.

There's the problem though. For many people, June-August are the only times they CAN visit. So making those times extra expensive just punishes them. Won't make them change over to another time of year. I can visit ANY time I want and I'm totally against this tiered pricing.

Disney's behavior lately is reminiscent of the lawyer from Jurassic Park (in the movie) who crowed about how "we can charge whatever we want...$1000 a day...$2000...and people will PAY."

If the higher prices meant a cap on tickets, I would probably be willing to pay the cost for the lower crowd. If they are simply charging more because it's a popular time to go, and not really giving me anything in return, I will likely move my vacation time to the cheaper time of year.

some theme parks already have a system like this in place. I know with Legoland Florida you get a discount for picking a specific date, and discovery cove pricing varies based on the popular dates, and you have to choose your day there in advance too.

If the higher prices meant a cap on tickets, I would probably be willing to pay the cost for the lower crowd. If they are simply charging more because it's a popular time to go, and not really giving me anything in return, I will likely move my vacation time to the cheaper time of year.

some theme parks already have a system like this in place. I know with Legoland Florida you get a discount for picking a specific date, and discovery cove pricing varies based on the popular dates, and you have to choose your day there in advance too.

In theory a lot of people will switch to the less crowded times, but I think that will only make room for new guests at peak times as the attendance continues to rise. The parks are rarely at capacity, so these tools will be useful to reach that capacity goal. High Crowds 365 a year!

IF the Star Wars attractions ever materialize, and Epcot gets a reboot, and the changes at DAK are popular, and the NEW DHS rebranding is done well... Attendance will continue to increase. The festivals are becoming more and more popular. There is very little hope for us that like to manipulate the low crowd environment and maximize fun. Disney is at war with those of us with that strategy! And the Disney Brass are winning. pirate:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter