New survey .. proposal .. Tiered Ticket Prices

What am I missing.

Disney is sending out a survey for people to vote on tiered pricing?

WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE WANT THIS?

It will force a huge increase for the people who have to go around school schedule and increase crowds during times you can go without mayhem at the park...

There's no way 1 person should want this - am I wrong??

You are wrong. Unfortunately, there are those out there that would pay double, if not triple the current admission rate, if it were to lower the crowds. This has been discussed here and in other forums at length, and it's astonishing the amount of people that are willing to "buy their way out" of a crowd.

It's known that Disney has staff members on these boards. They may participate, but they more or less are the lurkers watching what all of us are saying. They are then taking those "hot topics" and introducing them into reality with the Annual Passholders (this is who was given the survey) and getting concrete numbers to support possible future decisions.

Last edited:
Looks like FP+ wasn't the panacea for crowd control that they were hoping for.

One of the reasons for this is people abusing the system. Using old MB's (with no ticket attached) to secure additional FP+'s once they enter the park was not part of the plan and it has an impact on how the FP+ system should work. You can thank these people for being part of the problem which likely is leading to suggested changes we are reading about.

Until it becomes a problem, it isn't a problem.

Thats not a very good way to look at it. People can't just sit around and do nothing and wait for problems to happen. You have a voice and can express your dislike of this proposal before it happens. It takes 2 minutes to send an email.

What is the tiered system? I haven't heard of this. Does that mean it will be even more expensive in the summer? I thought they already charged based on the season.

What is the tiered system? I haven't heard of this. Does that mean it will be even more expensive in the summer? I thought they already charged based on the season.

Yes. Basically they want to have a standard rate and then during peak times, spike the prices. So 4th of July and Christmas... I think for WDW it was to the tune of $125 for peak times and $105 for the "standard" times of year.. or something close.

Now, to all those people who ever said about wanting to "buy their way out" of a crowded park, here ya go... Disney's asking about it. They're reading the threads on forums and seeing that it's a hot topic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one will actually be "buying their way out of a crowd." They will just be paying more during certain times and less during other times but still overall more than before. And in the end there will continue to be the peak crowd times and the "lower" crowd times, but never lower crowds than the current lowest crowds times (because there is no way to promise that). And they will just be making you pay more to be there during the "lower" crowd times -- relative to the "outrageous" crowd times. They are just exploiting peoples desire for lower crowds while not doing any actual crowd control. In summation, it seems they are proposing upping prices again for all without giving anything concrete in return..and sending out a survey to ask for customers' blessings. Nice.

Well, the customers asked were the AP holders.

I'll agree that you may not buy your way out.. but there are people that want to. They want an emptier park and are willing to do whatever they can to get it. Also, it seems that they want to ensure there is no "slow season" which there really isn't one anyway anymore. Sure, the crowds right after Labor Day aren't the crowds in June, but with all the discounts and free dining for the fall plus F&W, it's going to even out. They're just starting to push their noses in to see what certain people "concretely" have to say about it.

If Disney offered an increased ticket price of $150 - $200 and they limited the number of tickets sold for that particular day (maybe do this like one week a month or something) then I'd be all for it. Its like MNSSHP/MVMCP - when they are sold out, they're gone and no one else gets in. I would DEF pay the increased price on days like that, as long as the ticket limits were drastically cut. I had heard once that on a normal crowded day there are 80k people in the park. On a MNSSHP day there are up to 25k. If Disney offered a 20k limit day for an increased ticket price, yep, Im on it. These wouldn't be during peak seasons of course.

Time Magazine is reporting on this too!

http://time.com/3901243/disney-surge-pricing/

Interesting. With the minimal price increases, this is not about crowd control. $10-$15 per ticket is not enough of an incentive to make the average family change their vacation plans to a less popular time of year. This is clearly nothing more than a way for Disney to charge more for nothing.

If Disney offered an increased ticket price of $150 - $200 and they limited the number of tickets sold for that particular day (maybe do this like one week a month or something) then I'd be all for it. Its like MNSSHP/MVMCP - when they are sold out, they're gone and no one else gets in. I would DEF pay the increased price on days like that, as long as the ticket limits were drastically cut. I had heard once that on a normal crowded day there are 80k people in the park. On a MNSSHP day there are up to 25k. If Disney offered a 20k limit day for an increased ticket price, yep, Im on it. These wouldn't be during peak seasons of course.

Ladies and gentlemen, here's your proof.

Disney has rooms to fill. If they limit the tickets, they won't fill the rooms. One could argue that there are 4 parks to visit, well, there are, but they won't cap the limit on tickets. Unless it's July 4, or Christmas/New Years, that's the only time you really see the phase closings.

If Disney can get all the rooms on and off property full and have those people in their parks, you bet they're going to do it. It's people spending money on their product, which is what they want.

One of the reasons for this is people abusing the system. Using old MB's (with no ticket attached) to secure additional FP+'s once they enter the park was not part of the plan and it has an impact on how the FP+ system should work. You can thank these people for being part of the problem which likely is leading to suggested changes we are reading about.

WDW could fix that, they choose not to.

One of the reasons for this is people abusing the system. Using old MB's (with no ticket attached) to secure additional FP+'s once they enter the park was not part of the plan and it has an impact on how the FP+ system should work. You can thank these people for being part of the problem which likely is leading to suggested changes we are reading about
This whole thing and the thread explaining to people how to do it is disgusting, I wish the disboards.com would remove it, I don't care how they justify it, its wrong.

I have not read the entire thread, but something just popped into my head.

Disney World now puts everything on the Magic Band. So horror of horrors, if they make you tell them what days you are going to be in each park, and charge you accordingly, when you pay for your Disney Package. If you slip up or change your mind, your magic band would be charged the difference. Say good by to more spontaneity.

I have not read the entire thread, but something just popped into my head.

Disney World now puts everything on the Magic Band. So horror of horrors, if they make you tell them what days you are going to be in each park, and charge you accordingly, when you pay for your Disney Package. If you slip up or change your mind, your magic band would be charged the difference. Say good by to more spontaneity.

You can still get a KTTW card should you not want a magic band. Also, with that logic, that would mean that they would do away with the hopper option, which isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Ruh roh.........

Just when I thought it might be safe to come out from under my rock. :(

Hints of this came out with the introduction of the dreaded FP+ In 2012. All part of the plan...

Theme Park Pricing: Will dynamic airline-style pricing take hold in theme parks? - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!