New Shark vacuum question

LJSquishy

DIS Veteran
I was finally able to get a new vacuum to replace my trusty Eureka Boss SmartVac which has served me well for almost 9 years.

I purchased the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away at Costco and tried it out last night and loved it. The TruePet motorized mini brush is perfect for the stairs, and I love the versatility of the vacuum.

My question is to those that have a Shark vacuum and have long hair...The vacuum picked up a lot of dust, grit, etc but I happened to look at the brush roll and there was TONS of my hair wrapped around it. I mean it was COVERED in it. I cut it all out but I'm curious if this is something I should expect to have to do every week or does this vacuum just work that well and it just picked up so much more that my old vacuum previously left behind? I thought my old vacuum worked pretty well and I rarely had to cut hair out of the brush roll. I'm hoping this is a one-time thing because cutting hair out every week would be a little irritating! Have any of you experienced the same thing initially and the next time you vacuumed it was not an issue?

I sew and often pick up long strands of thread that need to be cut out every week. I'm always glad that this vacuum actually picks things up that cutting out the thread hasn't bothered me yet. I've had this vacuum for over a year now.

No one in the house has long hair anymore so I can't answer your exact question.

It's because it's picking up more hair than your old one did.

I really hope that's true! I guess I'll know for sure next week whether I'm going bald or the old one just didn't pick it all up...which is just gross to think about. We're having a house built right now that will be done at the end of June so I'm excited to have a new vacuum for brand new carpet upstairs!

I have the same vacuum, also purchased at Costco. I love it! I have very long hair and it picks up mine plenty, but I don't really feel the need to cut it out all that often. It seems to vacuum just as well regardless.

You'll likely spend your next 9 years cutting hair out of it. Eventually it will not have enough suction if you don't clean it out. Also, the long hair can break and lead to clogs in the hose. I've had to deal with this a LOT. I love the Sharks because they pick up so much dirt but only when their brush and hoses are clean.

We have a Dyson, but have the same issue. My hair wraps around the brush, and we have to cut it off. Drives my husband nuts!

I bought a shark rocket recently and had the same problem. I love the shark for its amazing suction but the roller issue is so annoying that I put it away and am back to using my Miele.

I bought a shark rocket recently and had the same problem. I love the shark for its amazing suction but the roller issue is so annoying that I put it away and am back to using my Miele.

How do you like your Miele? Was thinking about getting one.

I clean the filters and sponge filter every two weeks and cut the hair, etc off the roller every time I clean it. It makes it work better and fluff the carpets up nicer. If the roll gets too full it won't pull up the nap anymore and the suction will go way down. I've had mine about a year and love everything but the bagless feature. I hate the dust that comes from emptying it but it does pick up the pet hair really nice!

The Sharks are really nice because they come apart pretty easily for cleaning. Just about everywhere you'd have a clog, there is a release of some sort to take it apart and clean it.

Well, I've finally had enough experience with my new vacuum to know the answer to my question. Unfortunately, every time I vacuum there is hair wrapped around the beater bar so I have to cut it out every time. :( This is a major disappointment for me and I believe the only reason why it happens is because the beater bar circumference is about half the size of my old vacuum so it just winds around it instead of getting sucked up. Other than the hair issue, I do love the vacuum so I will be keeping it.

My Dyson had that issue as well, once when I was doing sewing and the thread got twisted in the bar. DD has long hair and that hasn't been a problem. I have only cut it away once in 7 years and it still sucks great.

Looking for a new vacuum You would recommend this? About how much was it? Thanks!

We have a Dyson and my husband no longer allows our daughter's to vacuum their rooms with it because of their long hair. He makes them use his shop vac!!! lol.

Looking for a new vacuum You would recommend this? About how much was it? Thanks!

I have been very happy with it so far aside from having to cut the hair out of the beater bar. It was $250 at Costco and has all of the accessories I wanted (mainly the motorized mini tool, appliance wand, and hard floor attachment which I haven't tried yet). I love the LED lights on the main unit as well as the one on the handle which illuminates the area you're cleaning when you use the hand tools. I find the vacuum easy to maneuver and it's also lighter than my previous one (though people say the Shark is heavy) so I'm very happy with it. I'll be able to try out all of the features when our new house is done being built at the end of June...right now we just have carpet & a little vinyl in the small kitchen.

I have to give my Shark Rotator a"hair cut" ever so often. It doesn't bother me because it actually works and my carpets look clean even with all the pet hair and the stuff my cat seems to track around and it was very affordable. The other thing that I like about it that someone mentioned that it is very easy to disassemble if you need to clean something out or you suck up something by accident. My boyfriend's Dyson isn't any better and in fact, I much prefer my Shark, even though it seems a bit more cheaply constructed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter