New policy for using or buying a few points??

dudleydog

DIS Veteran
Got a heads up hat a new program or rule will be announced in a few days concerning points when you are a few short. Maybe you can do a one time buy of a small amount or borrow from use year 2 years away? My source couldnt tell me, but it sounds like I am on to something.

Anyone else hear?

What advantage would there be for Disney to do this small add on? Unless they charge extra per point and have closing costs, then this would be just a big expense.

And as to borrowing point two years out, unless it's regularly allowed it will more work MS. And I thought with all the recent changes that the DVC is trying to reduce MS workload.

Hadn't heard of it. Perhaps it will be patterned after frequent flyer mile programs allowing you to "buy" the miles needed to close gaps when booking reward flights. If so, you'd be "renting" points directly from DVD at prices possibly higher than posted here but with the convenience and security of a "quick call to MS."

Yes, not buying small addons, but a one time buy of say up to 10 points for those times when you are just off a a small number to finish a reservation.

I think we'll see a bigger member discount for cash nights before we see an internal transfer of developer's points. Maybe the updated reservation software will let them book members at the highest available discount rate.

I think we'll see a bigger member discount for cash nights before we see an internal transfer of developer's points. Maybe the updated reservation software will let them book members at the highest available discount rate.

That would be nice since I can book with a villa with CRO for 45% off rack.;)

That would be nice since I can book with a villa with CRO for 45% off rack.;)

That is not at all uncommon to be able to book a room only AP discount rate of 40% to 45% off. Unfortunately, even with an AP, members can not book that rate through Member Services, and have to go through CRO. That would be a nice change to enable a "best rate" through MS.

Many points systems allow a one time purchase of additional points.

Many points systems allow a one time purchase of additional points.

True, but again, it just isn't something I see DVC doing. Not when it is more to Disney's advantage to rent a full night for cash, rather than a handful of points @ $10. I mean, if someone were 5 points short, that would be $50, much less than even a value room for the night. Even at $15 per point, it would only be $75.

Yes other timeshare structures do this at an inflated price per point. The only reson I could see DVC doing this is if with all the ROFR buybacks they have been doing they are finding that they are at risk of some of the points from those contracts expiring.

bookwormde

True, but again, it just isn't something I see DVC doing. Not when it is more to Disney's advantage to rent a full night for cash, rather than a handful of points @ $10. I mean, if someone were 5 points short, that would be $50, much less than even a value room for the night. Even at $15 per point, it would only be $75.
And I could easily see them doing so, actually I've stated that on the website several times over the years. I'm not sure that $10-12 a point is a realistic figure in the situation though, I'd figure more of a price based on a prorated but discounted room rate, maybe $20 a point. Certainly high but win-win for many situations. DVD and DVC has the points, it'd be just another way to rent them out. I'd suspect it'd be easier for them, simpler and cheaper than what they're doing now. Unlike most people, I don't think DVC is nearly as wrapped up in the "what's in it for them" attitude as most people seem to think. I think they'd seriously consider anything that was good for the membership, fairly easy to do and administer and made sense. I don't think it has to be a windfall to Disney for them to seriously consider. Now I do realize they're not going to shoot down the mother-ship to make something happen but I think this option is neutral to positive to the business side. To me the real question is how easILY Could it be done within they're system and IT OPTIONS. It makes a heck of a lot more sense than allowing transfers which many points systems don't allow.

And I could easily see them doing so, actually I've stated that on the website several times over the years. I'm not sure that $10-12 a point is a realistic figure in the situation though, I'd figure more of a price based on a prorated but discounted room rate, maybe $20 a point. Certainly high but win-win for many situations. DVD and DVC has the points, it'd be just another way to rent them out. I'd suspect it'd be easier for them, simpler and cheaper than what they're doing now. Unlike most people, I don't think DVC is nearly as wrapped up in the "what's in it for them" attitude as most people seem to think. I think they'd seriously consider anything that was good for the membership, fairly easy to do and administer and made sense. I don't think it has to be a windfall to Disney for them to seriously consider. Now I do realize they're not going to shoot down the mother-ship to make something happen but I think this option is neutral to positive to the business side. To me the real question is how easILY Could it be done within they're system and IT OPTIONS. It makes a heck of a lot more sense than allowing transfers which many points systems don't allow.

I totally agree, Dean. Especially with the highlighted portion above. I do worry about their ability within the current IT system though. They seriously need to completely redo the technical side of things.

That is not at all uncommon to be able to book a room only AP discount rate of 40% to 45% off. Unfortunately, even with an AP, members can not book that rate through Member Services, and have to go through CRO. That would be a nice change to enable a "best rate" through MS.

Agree and the 45% off is for the general public thru 8/14. I know its not the norm but I find it a bit annoying.

Yes, not buying small addons, but a one time buy of say up to 10 points for those times when you are just off a a small number to finish a reservation.

with the recent reconfiguration of 'week day' points, many members no longer have enough points for their typical 'multiple per year' 5 day visits during peak seasons:rolleyes1

might just be a way to keep a segment of dissatisfied members from bolting & increase overall sales in the parks via more trips per member...def easier to sell a few points than resale a membership imo

just worry that this could effect resort availability if they go overboard as to the # of points permitted per calendar year, especially @ the 7 month mark when many of those with multiple contracts flip a res.popcorn::

just worry that this could effect resort availability if they go overboard as to the # of points permitted per calendar year, especially @ the 7 month mark when many of those with multiple contracts flip a res.popcorn::

That is certainly a concern. If, on average, members rent 5 points to add an extra night to their reservation, that is what, 100,000 or so room nights? 100,000/365= about 274 extra rooms every day.

with the recent reconfiguration of 'week day' points, many members no longer have enough points for their typical 'multiple per year' 5 day visits during peak seasons:rolleyes1

might just be a way to keep a segment of dissatisfied members from bolting & increase overall sales in the parks via more trips per member...def easier to sell a few points than resale a membership imo

I'd be in if they allowed a 5pt buy when needed. We are one of the few that lost out on our every 3 year trip to HH with our 50 pts. We could have had 5n in a 1bd every 3 summers at HH, but with the point reallocation, we are 5pts short. I'm sure they would rather sell those 5 points to us than us sell our points, get ROFLed, and them having to go through the hassle of selling the points again.

I don't know why so many people seem to think Disney actually cares if an individual sells their contract or not. DVC does not have to exercise ROFR...and the seller is obligated to pay the dues until the contract sells, then the new owner is obligated.

If they do exercise ROFR, they likely would sell it for more than the price they ROFR'd...so it is additional profit, and likely more than the $100 or so they'd make from renting out the points one time to an existing owner. DVC really doesn't care whether it is you, or the person you sell to, that continues paying the dues...as long as they are paid.

I don't know why so many people seem to think Disney actually cares if an individual sells their contract or not. DVC does not have to exercise ROFR...and the seller is obligated to pay the dues until the contract sells, then the new owner is obligated.

If they do exercise ROFR, they likely would sell it for more than the price they ROFR'd...so it is additional profit, and likely more than the $100 or so they'd make from renting out the points one time to an existing owner. DVC really doesn't care whether it is you, or the person you sell to, that continues paying the dues...as long as they are paid.

I realize they don't care who pays the dues on a contract. I do think they would prefer to have as few ROFR points as possible. More points that are not having dues paid for for an unknown amount of time. Plus there is the man power that needs to be used to sell those extra points. For BCV or the easier properties to sell, I'm sure it's a moot point, but for HH or VB, I'm sure they would rather not have to deal with it for the few extra bucks difference they earn between the ROFR price and the sale price. But I'm not a business woman so what do I know.

I don't know why so many people seem to think Disney actually cares if an individual sells their contract or not.
I would think they would be happy with less competition on the resale market.
If there were no resales, they would be selling more points.

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter