NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Swan charge for parking? We will be staying there in May and will have a rental car that we're picking up from the airport.

thanks.

Parking is free at both the Swan & Dolphin!!

Sometimes we found it easier to drive to certain places, like another resort for dinner. If you're going to the parks or waterparks the bus and boat transportation is wonderful.

But there is a charge for valet parking. Follow the signs to self parking so you don't have to pay. :earboy2:

Scoob said:
Ok it's been a while that I've been away from the boards - however, another cool Swan visit is being planned for me and the sig other's 5 yr anniversary :thewave:

Soooo... my question to all those Swan/Dolphin devotees is if I can use SPG points to gain Club Level access on a non-club level floor.

I seem to remember that last year the Swan had decided to stop doing this - I hope I'm wrong tho :) Love the Breakfast munchies in the Club!

Scoob
Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I have never had a problem gaining access to the CL from another floor, from either the Swan or the Dolphin. Our last visit was in October 2004...not sure if anything's changed on that.

Off to the Commuity Board to see the new Sorority House :)

nwdisgal said:
Okay for all you S/D experts...How do I ask for non-feather pillows at the Swan? Do I list them as hypoallergenic or foam on my special requests?

Also, for anyone who has been there recently, do they still charge a fee for clearning out the mini-bar to use as a refrigerator?

Thanks for your help! :flower:
I would request hypoallergenic, since this is the type of "foam" pillows used by these resorts. Also...there has always been a FEE charged for having ROOM SERVICE (which is the department responsible for these mini-bars) clean-out the contents. BUT, it is also permissible to remove the contents YOURSELF *(@ NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE), and use the fridge! Many people alert the staff by taping a simple note on the exterior of the mini-bar, which states the contents have not been consumed, simply moved *(to a certain place, such as a upper closet shelf). This should not pose a problem. If it does...simply notify the front office for reimbursement. :D

KELLIR~I too, have wondered about the DDE...(since I have PAP's, I just may buy one and try it!), being accepted at the Dolphin. I will have to inquire, and get back on here with the info. It would be like the old MKC discount they would offer...(20% off at Tubbi's, etc). Those were the days. :rolleyes:

Scoob~Just as Madge posted, I have never experienced any problems obtaining CL privs from another floor/room at the Dolphin/Swan. They do not "encourage" such reservations, but will work to accommodate your needs/desires with respect to the CL lounge. :cloud9:

TTFN...DF99 :wave:

Does either hotel have ceiling fans? Does anyone know if they offered any nurse discounts for Jan? How many beds and what are the sizes for the suites? We visited dolphin last week & would love to stay there next Jan! :wizard:

wonderlandaddict said:
Does either hotel have ceiling fans? Does anyone know if they offered any nurse discounts for Jan? How many beds and what are the sizes for the suites? We visited dolphin last week & would love to stay there next Jan! :wizard:
No ceiling fans, but you can bring a fan if you wish. I believe the discounts are offered year-round, based upon availability. Suites range in size from a Junior, Executive to Presidential. The beds in a Junior suite, depends upon the configuration. Some have a King, and a queen murphy. Others have two doubles, and a king murphy. Many have a murphy, a king and a sofa sleeper. You should call reservations for more specific details. It is a beautiful property! :cloud9:

Dreamflight99 - thanks for answering my question about the pillows and the refrig. :D

I have another question.. do the regular Swan King Rooms have a sofa with a pull out bed in them? I made a Club Level reservation for a Swan Queen/Queen for 2 adults, 2 kids. When I went to check the reservation on-line at Starwood, it had been changed to a King Bed.

Also, I read on this board about a spa being built at Dolphin. When is that supposed to be completed?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Darn... will miss the spa opening this time, but there's always next year.

Thanks for the link!

Does anyone know where I can find out information about Camp Dolphin? Is there a website anywhere that provides full details (ie when it is open, what it provides, supervision, prices etc etc).

If not can anyone tell me their recent experiences of it?. I'm trying to decide if our kids (5&7) would enjoy going there if we were to book to go out for a meal or two on our own during our stay at the Dolphin.

My DD7 loves Camp Dolphin. She wants to go there every trip, and has been doing so for the last 2-3 years. Some trips, she goes more than once.

The staff is very kind and caring. The door stays locked so no one can enter/leave without the staff (2 people) knowing. I believe there is a limit of about 12 children. Dinner is provided - they take the kids to Tubby's or the Fountain. They can do crafts, usually a couple different crafts every evening, plenty of markers and paper too, play video games, and watch movies on the big screen TV. There is a bathroom in the facility which is located right next to the work-out place (near the exit to the pool in the Dolphin). They take the kids to the arcade (which is just down the hall).

They seem to have it all down to a science and try to follow a schedule when they go to eat and the arcade, but the kids play and do what activities they choose in the club. There are pillows and blankets to take a nap if the kids stay late. I believe the hours it is open are 5:30 to midnight and the child must be potty trained.

Hope this helps you decide. The woman and the young man that are there most often are so good with the kids. MY DD loves them. :love:

Hieatt said:
Came across this article on another thread: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050118/185595_1.html

Spa scheduled to be open by this summer!
GREAT LINK!! I'll be there with BELLS-ON to celebrate and partake of the offerings this summer! I heard it would be operating by mid-2005 (from JAMES at the front desk), but you never know with such construction, etc. Thanks again, for the WONDERFUL NEWS!! :love:

nwdisgal~Anything I can offer to assist in your planning/stay at the Dolphin/Swan is my pleasure! :goodvibes As for your other question, I'm not completely sure of the answer (since the renovation took place). Perhaps someone else can offer assistance or insight with this query?

matt2525~Just as Kelli posted, my own DD LOVED Camp Dolphin when she was much younger. She never wanted to leave, when the time came to go back to the suite! :love: On one occasion, characters had "stopped" by for an impromptu visit, and the kids were so excited! DD also enjoyed the soft blankets *(sleeping bags too) with pillows used for watching the movies. The staff, as Kelli attested, are remarkable with children of all ages. We always felt so comfortable leaving DD in their care. We would dine at Palo's, or another nearby location (ie: yachtsman steakhouse, flying fish), and never had any qualms about DD's safety, etc. I know if you dine in Shula's steakhouse, they pay for the initial 2-hours of care in this facility!

I don't know if you have these links, bit they may provide information you are seeking:

*http://www.swandolphin.com/play/campdolphin.html
*http://www.familytravelguides.com/articles/southeaststates/Orlando/dolfswan.html
*http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/disneyworld/beyond/child_care.htm

Hope this helps!! :goodvibes

TTFN...DF99 :wave:

My family and I are planning on going to WDW at the end of March/first week of April. In 2001, we stayed at the Dolphin with the teacher rate. Am I to understand that they no longer have this rate?

Yes, as DF99 mentioned, the first 2 hours are free at Camp Dolphin if you are dining at the Blue Zoo ... as well as Shula's.

KelliR said:
Yes, as DF99 mentioned, the first 2 hours are free at Camp Dolphin if you are dining at the Blue Zoo ... as well as Shula's.
:wave2: Thanks, Kelli (^_^) for pointing this out!! Since we no longer need childcare, we were unaware the BLUE ZOO was included in this perk! Both are fab restaurants, worth visiting. But, if you're in the mood for a perfect steak, Shula's is the place to go!! ;)

Sister Spooky~They DEFINITELY have the teacher's :teacher: rate~! Just call and check to see if it's available during the time you wish to visit. Also, there are sometimes *(not often) promotions or other rates which may be comparable or even better than this rate. When you call, ask about ALL other rates and promo's (as these are not openly "offered" by reservation associates). :D Good Luck with your planning!

:wave2: DF99

I'm trying to find out if S/D guests are also eligible for the Extra Magic Hours in the parks. I tried doing a search but couldn't a match. :confused3

Thanks in adavnce, Steve :worship:

YES! Swan and Dolphin guests can participate in both the early magic hours, and the late night hours!

Debbie

madge said:
Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I have never had a problem gaining access to the CL from another floor, from either the Swan or the Dolphin. Our last visit was in October 2004...not sure if anything's changed on that.

Do you remember what the point rate deducted was? We're looking at a 4-5 night stay... but I wanted to be sure I'll have the points to cover it....

Thanks!

Scoob

Scoob~There have been conflicting info on the # of points needed. Some people have been charged 1000 points per night and others 1500. The S/D seems to be a little schizophrenic when it comes to points! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter