new building going up in epcot?

jimim

DIS Veteran
what is the huge new building going up in epcot over where canada ends? behind the place they use for events at times. i forgot what it's called. fantasia something i think?

it looks big, but seems to deff be in epcot, but backstage for sure?

jim

That's the new third theater for Soarin' (that will allow 1/3 more guests to see the shows.)
There will also be a new Soarin' film that will be shown in all 3 theaters once
the new auditorium is completed.

Yes, believe it or not, the Soarin' theaters have always been "behind" Canada.
Below is a satellite view of the original Soarin' theater building.

Epcot_wSoarin_Satellite_CC.jpg

They are adding another theater to Soarin. That is what you see over there. They are also building a building next to Norway to house a Frozen M&G.

wait wait. the building looks like it is no where near soarin'. i knew they were adding another screen but it's like in the back of the park?

wait wait. the building looks like it is no where near soarin'. i knew they were adding another screen but it's like in the back of the park?

Take another look at my first post for a photo of the area.

Take another look at my first post for a photo of the area.

i would never ever ever have thought that is what the layout actually is. it has such a wacky bend to it that you don't even realize you took. so weird.

i hope the take advantage of 4k technology and use screens and projectors that are 4k cause i assume the new movie was shot in 4k or will be. you won't be able to see the perforations in the screen like you can now if they use 4k screens for the viewing distance compared to now.

Thanks for the info! I saw the cranes and construction by Imagination a few weeks ago when we were headed to the restrooms and forgot to ask!This is a picture I took:

IMG_3306.JPG

i would never ever ever have thought that is what the layout actually is. it has such a wacky bend to it that you don't even realize you took. so weird.

i hope the take advantage of 4k technology and use screens and projectors that are 4k cause i assume the new movie was shot in 4k or will be. you won't be able to see the perforations in the screen like you can now if they use 4k screens for the viewing distance compared to now.

The image clarity will be compromised if they switch to a mere 4K digital system.
4K digital does not have nearly the resolution of the (currently used) IMAX/OmniMax large-format (70mm) film.

If the change is to digital projection, what needs to be implemented is "Digital Omnimax" format which has 2-3 times more resolution than 4K.

The image clarity will be compromised if they switch to a mere 4K digital system.
4K digital does not have nearly the resolution of the (currently used) IMAX/OmniMax large-format (70mm) film.

If the change is to digital projection, what needs to be implemented is "Digital Omnimax" format which has 2-3 times more resolution than 4K.

Most average Joe's don't realize that their home technology doesn't even begin to compare with what's in theaters. I had a friend ask me one time how they could go back and make old movies high def. My response was something like "because they didn't shoot it on a vhs, that's just what they sold you to take home".

My main knowledge is with high end home theatre but how I understand iMax/omni uses two 4k projectors merged into the image. Each projector doesn't produce the same picture. Each projector gets different information to merge the image. So yes the image quality is deff higher but 4k is still being used vs what is being used now.

Off topic, but I can't get over how big the Imagination building is! And they are doing nothing with it!!

Most average Joe's don't realize that their home technology doesn't even begin to compare with what's in theaters. I had a friend ask me one time how they could go back and make old movies high def. My response was something like "because they didn't shoot it on a vhs, that's just what they sold you to take home".

That's totally not true. I design high end sound isolated home theaters that are built for the room. They r built from the ground up so they r totally isolated from the house. They are designed for acoustics by a certified acoustics expert. They are also then calibrated for each seat in the room by certified individuals. The quality we r able to accomplish blows away most commercial theatre cause our rooms are built in a smaller scale and can give each seat the same picture and sound quality which is not possible in a huge theatre. It's all about the design of the room not the equipment. The equipment is picked to match the room.

The picture in the rooms I design even in a non isolated room blows away most out there cause of our calibrators.

I don't even go to movie theaters anymore. I wait for everything to come out on disk. Every person who has been in my room or one we built said they will never go back to a commercial theatre. You have to remember you don't need a screen as large as a commercial space. As long as the viewing angles and distances are set for the screen the experience you see is the same. Same with sound.

That's totally not true. I design high end sound isolated home theaters that are built for the room. ....

I think the point is that modern 1080p resolution is no where near the resolution of film. I could try to find it but don't have time but someone has figured out what the effective resolution of "old school" film is compared to 1080p. Theoretically I think its like 8,700 lines of resolution (?) but because how its processed and copied it degrades the resolution to around 4,500*.

Now theaters themselves, I think by lowering the brightness of the bulbs, can degrade the image even more (major complaint of Roger Ebert).

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#Digital_IMAX

Last edited:
That's totally not true. I design high end sound isolated home theaters that are built for the room. They r built from the ground up so they r totally isolated from the house. They are designed for acoustics by a certified acoustics expert. They are also then calibrated for each seat in the room by certified individuals. The quality we r able to accomplish blows away most commercial theatre cause our rooms are built in a smaller scale and can give each seat the same picture and sound quality which is not possible in a huge theatre. It's all about the design of the room not the equipment. The equipment is picked to match the room.

The picture in the rooms I design even in a non isolated room blows away most out there cause of our calibrators.

I don't even go to movie theaters anymore. I wait for everything to come out on disk. Every person who has been in my room or one we built said they will never go back to a commercial theatre. You have to remember you don't need a screen as large as a commercial space. As long as the viewing angles and distances are set for the screen the experience you see is the same. Same with sound.

Yeah, you totally missed the point. The average joe doesn't have a professionally installed home theatre like the one you are talking about.

Can't wait to see the new Soarin' ! It's looking really dated compared to new stuff in the theaters!

New theater will be exactly the same size as the other two and hold the same number of guests = 87.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter