New APs? Will this affect DVC passes?

How much profit does one company need?

:earsboy: Bill
How much exactly is their profit? Has there been a trend of consistent gains over the past 8 quarters? What is the current and expected costs for the major expansions planned? Have they recouped the cost of the magic bands technology? What are the ramifications of the new wage increase approved by the union in anticipation of the imposed minimum wage?
I don't know all the answers to the above, but I surely believe that "how much profit does one company need" is an oversimplified question.
The bottom line is... Well, the bottom line. If ticket sales and resort stays go dramatically down because people can't afford what is already arguably one of the most costly venues for a vacation, then the prices will be evaluated.
However, I believe the number of guests and ticket sales are still going to rise. None of us enjoy price hikes. The good thing is that we still have the freedom to go or not go to WDW.

I'm going down 12/24-1/3. I was debating getting APs. It's still worth it if you go 3-4 times a year. I may just buy regular park hoppers for my family and a AP for me since I do a lot of solo trips. What I don't like is everyone has to have the memory maker. Why if everyone is in one household? They need to re-think that. As for TIW I will get my final use of mine. Just use the 10% on DVC card from now on. But if you think about it, if you have a large family (usually 4-5 people when I go). It still may be worth the $150.00

How much exactly is their profit? Has there been a trend of consistent gains over the past 8 quarters? What is the current and expected costs for the major expansions planned? Have they recouped the cost of the magic bands technology? What are the ramifications of the new wage increase approved by the union in anticipation of the imposed minimum wage?
I don't know all the answers to the above, but I surely believe that "how much profit does one company need" is an oversimplified question.
The bottom line is... Well, the bottom line. If ticket sales and resort stays go dramatically down because people can't afford what is already arguably one of the most costly venues for a vacation, then the prices will be evaluated.
However, I believe the number of guests and ticket sales are still going to rise. None of us enjoy price hikes. The good thing is that we still have the freedom to go or not go to WDW.

According to their public filings they have averaged almost 7 billion dollars profit per year for the last 2 years. That's after all of their bills are paid, money in the bank.

This won't keep the Holiday crowds down as much as it will for Disneyland. They have a huge Holiday issue. Until the enact time of year pricing for Tickets as they do for rooms, you won't see crowds go down that much.

My personal situation is we used to get Premium DVC passes so the blackouts don't affect us. Combined with the price increase and the DVC discount decrease, for our family of 4 it will be $511 more. And I needed to purchase soon anyway because I need to do FP+ for January. I didn't find out about this increase until today. I am so pissed. A difference a day makes.

Face it, we are not going anywhere. Sheep

I believe it will help. Take a look at what they offer now.......The silver and gold pass has the blackout dates....and this applies to Florida residents and DVC members. If you aren't DVC, you can't buy the gold. So to take advantage of the "old" DVC price ($20 more plus tax, but you do get memory maker) you get essentially the same thing but the holiday blackout. So those that used to do this will now have to pay more to attend the holidays. We've already seen in this thread already many DVCers say they will adjust their plans accordingly. So that alone has had an effect in a single day. I believe there was a huge influx of Florida residents that will be screwed out of christmas time because of this. I do agree with the previous poster that this will increase demand for DVC rooms from Dec 1- Dec 14th. That's already a popular and difficult time to book.

Last edited:
I certainly think this is all about crowd control. If Disney is really concerned about controlling attraction wait times and Park crowd levels they should stop building new Resorts and start building new attractions in a timely manner like Universal has.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-4_20-19-20.png
    upload_2015-10-4_20-19-20.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 6
DH has an iPhone and got an update this afternoon to MDE for PhotoPass. We have AP's that expire later this year, so we should assume we have PP now?

I certainly think this is all about crowd control. If Disney is really concerned about controlling attraction wait times and Park crowd levels they should stop building new Resorts and start building new attractions in a timely manner like Universal has.

It's about making more money while offering a restricted pass that many will not use. Disney loves crowds and they just finished the area in front of the castle to pack more viewers in. They use fast pass plus to move people where they want them and the MB's transmit a signal that they can use to display crowd densities.

DH has an iPhone and got an update this afternoon to MDE for PhotoPass. We have AP's that expire later this year, so we should assume we have PP now?

I think the PhotoPass thing has been in my MDE app for awhile but I just noticed the "find photographers" function.

Your APs are not getting any extra benefits, you will continue on with no PP and no blackouts until it's time for renewal- at that time, you'll be slotted into one of the new tiers. They aren't unilaterally and retroactively adding the PP perk for existing passes or vouchers :).

Lilostitch2002.jpg

TiW going up 50% over the prior year, forcing PhotoPass into each AP and costing $100 more per person is getting ridiculous. Yes, I admit I drink the Disney Kool-Aid like most of us here on the DIS; but this is like a real kick in the mouth from Disney. If it weren't for the fact that I am a DVC member and have a chunk of change invested I would not be returning to Disney World every year like I do now and instead use my vacation money elsewhere as well. I get that Disney wants to and needs to make a profit; I'm OK with that. I owned a business for 15 years (profitable) until I sold it a few years ago for a nice profit myself. But enough is enough already. I'm not sure who is worse with their price gouging, Disney or the airline industry in their gouging and nickel and dimeing.:scared:

819b8fbdc76686abff31f613b05d84302fcc49cd0fd70ea8a605cbea6d811fbd.jpg

Are the majority of AP owners Florida residents or DVC members? It seems like they should allow more AP owners to buy the pass that restricts the 3 busiest weeks of the year.

Of course I already bought it for Nov 2015 and have to figure out what to do/how to get a refund.

We are sort of in the same boat. Bought 4 day base ticket that I was goong to upgrade to AP's on our trip this month. My PAP expire this week. I am ok with renewing to the Gold Pass. BUT I have already purchased memory maker for this said trip. I am going to call MS tomorrow to see about a refund. Let me know if you call and what response you get.

We are sort of in the same boat. Bought 4 day base ticket that I was goong to upgrade to AP's on our trip this month. My PAP expire this week. I am ok with renewing to the Gold Pass. BUT I have already purchased memory maker for this said trip. I am going to call MS tomorrow to see about a refund. Let me know if you call and what response you get.

After being on hold for an hour, I was told that "Memory Maker is unfortunately non-refundable" and the given a separate phone number for ticketing but "that office is currently closed." I was told to call ticketing 407-566-4985 and choose option #5 - hours are 8am-7pm EST per the cast member I spoke to. Anecdotally, other DISers have reported being given refunds but I am frankly not holding my breath.

They are crediting the memory maker if you upgrade according to a CM post on another board

So it seems we still do not have a definitive answer as to exactly what AP we will get with the DVC AP Renewal Voucher. We fortunately did our renewals last month for our November trip. If they are giving DVC AP Vouchers the Platinum Pass they darn well better be giving the DVC AP Renewal Vouchers the Platinum Pass. I'd be willing to give them $20 to get the Photo Pass added on but I'm not paying them $100 to get back the 4+ weeks they are blacking out for the Gold Pass. Not that I'm planning to visit during those dates but it's the bait & switch tactics that are really ticking me off. I had talked myself into choking up the $100 to get TIW again since mine expired in June but the $50 increase just killed that purchase. While I understand they need money to pay for the HS Expansion they shouldn't be raising prices like this before they've even broken ground for something we won't be seeing for at least 3 more years never mind the AK Pandora that still has no opening set.

According to their public filings they have averaged almost 7 billion dollars profit per year for the last 2 years. That's after all of their bills are paid, money in the bank.

But again, nothing wrong with that. I say that as a stockholder - it is their job to make a large profit and keep my share values high even though I may be bummed at the price increase (although it will only be around $17 more a ticket as we will opt for the "gold" pass).
I see two choices open for people who feel that Disney "makes too much money" - A) Boycott Disney (I boycott a number of companies as I vehemently disagree with their policies), sell your DVC, and vacation elsewhere, or B) Buy Disney stock and take advantage of the profitable decisions of management (as you can see, it's a great performer).

I don't see any info on the premier pass. Did they get rid of that one? If they didn't, I wonder what it costs?
The Disneyland Signature Passport is 1,049 (includes photopass). There are 2 other passes (with blockout dates) at 849 and 599.

Putting the cost of the Disneyland pass and the cost of the WDW pass together and Yikes!

Are the majority of AP owners Florida residents or DVC members? It seems like they should allow more AP owners to buy the pass that restricts the 3 busiest weeks of the year.

If they are going to offer us fl resident passes like the gold, then we should be able to choose the silver. We don't go in the summer and don't want photo pass.

I'm withu n2mm. I've argued with multiple WDW execs over the past year that DVCers deserve more ticket media options, like the Silver, weekday, after 4. We got blackouts and price increases. Thanks Disney for telling me what you think of our loyalty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter