• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Never Again in February

I've been there the 3rd week of January and loved it, as well as the last week in September. So we stick to those and have no complaints!

hhuck said:
We are going on 23rd too... does everyone think I am crazy to be going to MK on the 25th? and Epcot on 24th? My dad has been able to join us for a 3 day trip and it was really the only thing that worked... but I dont want it to be crazy miserably crowded. I know it is a park to avoid, because supposedly the marathon crowd will attend that day? And there is the electrical parade twice...

Any thoughts or tips?

Also, we havent told our girls yet either.. Cant decide whether to wake them up and tell them, or tell them a few days before so their anticipation can build... they are 6 and almost 3... any opinions on this based on your own experience? So excited!

We haven't even looked at the crowds, but figure that the first couple days are going to be crazy, but hey we'll deal with it.
It kids are 11 and 13 and I think it will be first thing Saturday morning and we'll tell them to get up and pack. They won't know what hit them

We were there 2/7 - 11 for the Nationals Cheerleading competition. The girls went to the park for about 5 hours on Friday (2/8) in between morning and afternoon practice. (Comp didn't start until Saturday.) Coach decided on MK because 5-6 of the girls had never been there. According to Touring Plans, MK was supposed to be the least crowded park @ 3.2. It was NOT a 3.2! It was SO busy. I was quite dispappointed in the crowds since I was hoping the girls could ride more rides during their time there. Luckily, this is the only time we went to a park because they made to the finals on Sunday afternoon! (This is their first time to be at Nationals, so making finals was HUGE!) There was an extremely lame "party" at DHS on Sunday night. There were THREE rides open! TS, RNR, TOT. You can imagine the lines. The girls were ready to leave early. Very disappointed in that.....

Just got back - 2/1 thru 2/10 trip - never will go in February. Couldn't believe the crowds - especially on Saturday. Couldn't move. And the "15" groups from South America were untolerable. I use a scooter and was trying to get on a bus at EPCOT when 4 groups converged and started chanting and they wouldn't let me get to the ramp to the bus. They were so rude! Cheerleaders were there on the weekends but they were well behaved. Downtown Disney was a zoo especially with only 1 bus stop. Any questions I'd be happy to answer. Weather was great though.

We were there last week. Tour groups were thick on Sunday Feb 3rd at MK. After awhile I refused to move over for these obnoxious people and THEY were forced to break formation as they met myself and my daughter and strolller. Disney needs to do something to address this issue! First off, any one like me who is annoyed at the 50+ person tour group formations needs to COMPLAIN to Disney guest relations!

Just got back home from our quick getaway trip 2/10 - 2/13 with my wife and DD. Actually looked at EasyWDW and went to AK on Sunday morning and it was smooth sailing that day even when running into the occasional tour group. Was able to book Tusker House that morning too as well.

But EMH at MK that night was surprisingly for us not busy at all. We were able to walk onto many rides at most waiting 10-15min, if that. 2/11 we decided to visit HS during the day before joining MK at night for BOG and that's when we noticed the crowds and the congestion from that point forward. MK was slammed 2/13 but Epcot we did find enjoyable ;)

we were there feb 2 - feb 8. i found the crowds to be mostly fine. like everyone has said, there really isn't much "down time" at disney anymore. and to be honest, i don't know that i'd want to be the only people in the park. who wants to ride the haunted mansion alone? on feb 2, 3, and 4 it was fairly busy in the parks, but we were still able to do everything we wanted to do! in fact, we rode BTMRR 14 times this trip (LOL) and space mountain 7!!! we never waited more than 20 minutes for any rides. actually the longest line i waited in was the fastpass line for space mountain once, which took 30 minutes!!! feb 6 and 7 were pretty quiet, at least at the parks we were at (MK and Epcot). we did be our guest and only waited about 30 minutes to order. all in all i would say february was a great time to go. beautiful weather, manageable lines, we got a great deal, etc. i've realized that you just can't please some people and if you're looking to go somewhere uncrowded and relaxing, disney probably isn't the place for you.

When I was at Epcot this past Sunday it was basically empty. But I get there when WS is opening, eat, walk around a bit and leave. But I know the parking lot and it was not bad at all when I left. Of course not all people drive there but it is still a good indication. I've been going regularly for many years now. I have pics of being in Epcot on a cold New Years day and the place was empty.

I think the thing to remember is that WDW's goal is to fill all the parks and hotels up each and every day, all year long. It has taken some years but they are getting close to having very full parks all year long. They have figured out how to do this.

melissarose said:
we were there feb 2 - feb 8. i found the crowds to be mostly fine. like everyone has said, there really isn't much "down time" at disney anymore. and to be honest, i don't know that i'd want to be the only people in the park. who wants to ride the haunted mansion alone? on feb 2, 3, and 4 it was fairly busy in the parks, but we were still able to do everything we wanted to do! in fact, we rode BTMRR 14 times this trip (LOL) and space mountain 7!!! we never waited more than 20 minutes for any rides. actually the longest line i waited in was the fastpass line for space mountain once, which took 30 minutes!!! feb 6 and 7 were pretty quiet, at least at the parks we were at (MK and Epcot). we did be our guest and only waited about 30 minutes to order. all in all i would say february was a great time to go. beautiful weather, manageable lines, we got a great deal, etc. i've realized that you just can't please some people and if you're looking to go somewhere uncrowded and relaxing, disney probably isn't the place for you.

We were there Feb 3-8 and we had a similar experience... Great trip, not much of a wait... 20 minutes was probably out longest wait, besides tinkerbell we did wait for her though

FrostedSteph said:
We were there from 2/1-2/9 and the crowds were DEFINITELY higher than we have seen them during years previous. I haven't ever had to wait longer than 40 minutes (and that was for TSM) but we did have quite a few 90, 120 minute waits posted. I am used to the tour groups being there, what I was not prepared for were the cheerleaders and dancers that were there for a competition.

We were there around then too... And our longest wait was 20 min for BTMRR and 25 for TSMM. I think it really makes a difference what time you arrive and what time to do rides. under the sea had a few closings, so the wait times when it was operating were longer, but if you FP it, there was no wait. Of course weekends are always going to worse but we found it a great week to visit ;)

This area, especially the area in the top picture, is of a very small, claustrophobic location. Because of the construction and the walls, there just wasn't much room there. All the crowds are funneled into that location.

We were at the Studios that day, and did just about everything. We went back to the Magic Kingdom on 2/8, and had a great time, using Fastpasses.

We were there the same time and the only time we experienced dense crowds like that was right after a parade when a very large number of people dispersed all at once. Once we branched off or it cleared out, it was fine. :)

We are heading home tomorrow. I agree that it is more crowded this year than last. The Mardi gras crowd plus the cheerleaders plus the groups just bumped it up to an uncomfortable level.

We expect crowds at Disney and plan for it though. I try my best to be polite and didn't experience any rudeness from other guests. And we fast pass and use rider exchange so the kids get to ride quite a bit even when it's busy.

Love this thread, and appreciate all the reports on febuary.

We haven't been to wdw since 2005, and are flying in Sat feb. 23rd. So, I'm kinda nervous about how it's going to be. (I know of the princess marathon) and we changed our plan and are following easywdw now. I was hoping to do MK on the 24th (sun) but so many people on different threads have said it will probably be packed since so many people will be there after the marathon.

The tour guides totally make this "born again newbie" look at EMH in a different light. Thought those nights would be the highlight of the trip but now I'm avoiding them like the plague.

Then again, we haven't been to wdw for so long? We could probably just sit on a bench and soak in the magic and be stupidly happy. ;)

We've gone twice in February and it wasn't too bad. We went once in early February 2010 but it was freezing, and then in 2012, we went for President's Day week. Sorry you had a hard time though, I've never experienced the tour groups that the Disboards speak of, but it is a Disney fear of mine!

I just got back yesterday; was there 2/7 - 2/13. I went at a similar time last year, and I think this year was definitely busier. That said - and these are just my personal experiences/impressions: I was on a plane full of cheerleaders from ATL to MCO, but did not see them in large groups at the parks. When I did see them, they were in smaller groups (6 - 10?) and were no problem. I saw one massive international group gathered outside TSM on Sunday afternoon, turned back and went another way, and that was the extent of that.

Starting Saturday, the Mardi Gras folks started coming in. I met Tiana and Naveen on Tuesday morning, and we talked about the "sea of purple" outside the MK gates that morning - T & N had come in on the train for the Welcome and she was loving it. I have to say, I enjoyed being there for the Mardi Gras influx. All y'all from the gulf states are so pleasant, seemed like everyone was just relaxed and having fun.

MK was hands-down the busiest park, but I think a lot of that had to do with New Fantasyland, and the massive Mine Train construction does not help the traffic flow. I could always head over to Epcot, though, and feel like I could have some breathing room. DHS and AK were great in the early morning hours; they got busier as the day went on but were never awful when I was there. No, the parks weren't empty, but they were definitely manageable, weather was beautiful, and I did most of what I wanted to do.

We were at MK on Tuesday and I couldn't believe the crowds. It was insane. And good grief the tour groups. One at every corner. And even the Fast Pass lines had long lines!

Love this thread, and appreciate all the reports on febuary.

The tour guides totally make this "born again newbie" look at EMH in a different light. Thought those nights would be the highlight of the trip but now I'm avoiding them like the plague.

Then again, we haven't been to wdw for so long? We could probably just sit on a bench and soak in the magic and be stupidly happy. ;)

Nicely said:flower3:
I really enjoy EMH and intend to do them all, sorry Josh! I love the atmosphere and Disney at night? My favorite part of being there.

We were there Feb 5th to 11th and were really surprised at the crowds at MK. In spite of that, there were still plenty of rides we just walked on. For some reason it seemed like only a few rides in each park had the long lines. But we never got on a few of them, like TSM because of timing.

But the weather was great. We have gone in January and early February many times and this was the most crowded but also the nicest weather of any of the past trips. I would go in February again.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

When will you go then? Seems slow times are a thing of the past.

I'd say; The last 2 weeks of April, the first 2 weeks of May, the last 2 weeks of October, the first 2 weeks of November and the first 2 weeks in December are not bad. I'd also try to stick to week days, avoid weekends and hit the parks early.

hookedonears said:
I'd say; The last 2 weeks of April, the first 2 weeks of May, the last 2 weeks of October, the first 2 weeks of November and the first 2 weeks in December are not bad. I'd also try to stick to week days, avoid weekends and hit the parks early.

We went may 3-13 in 2012 and it was way more crowded than when we went feb 1-9 2013. September is by far the least crowded.

We went may 3-13 in 2012 and it was way more crowded than when we went feb 1-9 2013. September is by far the least crowded.

Early September anyway.

The first week of September seems to be the one true slow week left. That's because a larger number of schools start the day after Labor Day and most parents, even those who will take kids out for a week, are hesitant to do so the very first week of a new year.

By late September, kids are settled, and F/W is starting, MNSSHP is going on, and crowds are picking up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter