Nemesis Challenge: No Pain, No Gain. A ½ Marathon 2013 NEW Updates 2/20 NEW

It is nice to hear the story of the split times we were getting on Facebook. Well done!

I think he meant more like this :lmao:

sayanything.jpg
OH. Sorry, my LL COOL J side got the best of me. :rotfl2:

Yes, yes it was. And it's all a blur now. Guess I'm going to have to do it again.
::yes::

I might have to do it again if the wife allows it.

Oh my word. I can't believe the volume of people, the hour and the time it took to get not very far at all. That's a long morning already and you just started the run!
It was insane. I'm glad we got there early enough to make it to the starting line.

Thank you. This reminds me that I do not want to try to do one of these. I occasionally have delusional moments that it might be sorta, kinda, fun. Nope. Not my idea of fun. Ever.
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

It was really a great experience. I came home and immediately started looking for runs in CT. :hyper:

Wow, 10 min behind with that kind of pain? You really powered through (and I hope didn't do major damage in the process). Man those shirts are BRIGHT in the still dark castle picture. Holy cats!
My leg just stopped hurting 24/7 at the end of last week. I'm on the shelf till the end of February- then I have my doctors appointment. I can't wait for him to yell at me. :rotfl:

Pain aside it actually sounds...like there was some fun in there too!
Yes there as some fun. So will I be seeing you there next Jan?

Cool update and great job to BOTH of you.
Thank you! :goodvibes

I knew it! :rotfl2::lmao:
When you gotta go, you gotta go!

I don't even see how you could run on asphalt and concrete with those "barefoot" shoes. :headache:
At least with those there is something under the foot. This dude was BAREFOOT! :scared1:

He talked about cheese, you talked about rap, neither understood what the other was saying... :rolleyes1
Sounds about right. :lmao:

Were the kids holding their signs for you?
They were holding signs... just not 'those' signs. :lmao:

That was nice. Not that both of you were miserable, but at least that you had someone to suffer through it with.
Pretty much. :rotfl2:

Why didn't she trip him?
I know. Or tie him up or something!

So what's it going to be? Best 2 out of 3? Best 3 out of 5? Best 4 out of 7? Best 51 of 100? :confused3
Good question. Ask the 'other' guy.

Not bad for a nearly broken leg.
Now I have a time to beat. :teacher:

I know... Barry should be disappointed by himself. He only beat an injured Tim by 10 minutes.:sad2: Round 2 is going to be all Tim. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:
He should be ashamed of himself... picking on an injured guy.

But yes.. round 2 is going to be all me! :thumbsup2

Wow. You got someone to stop and take your picture? That guy sacrificed his chances at setting a personal best so you and Barry could have a photo. Truly magical. If only he received a public showing of gratitude...
You know, I totally forgot you took the picture. I was thinking you left us earlier than that. See, good thing I am doing this report now before I forget anything else. :lmao:

I think I saw the same guy. He was looking pretty rough. Actually, that's how he normally looks.
:lmao::lmao:

Did you ask how his stomach was feeling? :confused3

Chris: 2:42:17 (Go Team Barry)
You were team Barry? Is that why you stepped in front of me at the finish line? (I posted the stolen picture in the update. Check it out)

Wait, that's not a bush, that's Eeyore! :scared1:
:rotfl2:

I had a friend who ran the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. and he said the signs along the way were hilarious. I'm not sure I can repeat some of them here, though.
The signs were PG at worst.. hopefully Barry can remember more that I could.

And here I thought it couldn't be more painful.
That's hard core.

"Wow, Barry. (cough) This sucks."
"Yep. (gasp) Sure does."

They didn't run you through the bakery?:confused3
We did run past it. :scratchin

Injury is not failure.
It shouldn't be an excuse either.... seems like I'm using it as a crutch. :crutches:

Well, I'm glad you had company. Not that you were both in misery, but it definitely helps to have someone there with you.
It was nice to have Chris with me... we fought through the last 4 miles together.

Green army men are liars. Got it.
::yes:: :rotfl:

But with an injury, that's an impressive finish. You did great, and finishing a race like that is quite an accomplishment. Nice work, Tim.:thumbsup2
Thank you. You coming next year?

hmm, im thinking there will be more truth told over here.::yes::
I feel like you said that over there too. You trying to play us?

I really turned it on those last 10 feet.

im no expert in running, but i think riding a bike is cheating for a marathon...but then again, i bet his legs were not hurting at the end. :thumbsup2
LOL I believe that guy was the overall winner.

you should have knocked him off and taken his bike.
:thumbsup2
:lmao::lmao:

then you could have flown past barry and said burn dust and eat my rubber, road liver lips. (great movie)
:lmao:

Yes. That is a great movie.

kudos on the good run and finishing.
Thank you!

Could you possibly have picked a brighter colour for the t-shirts. The one of yee in front of the castle actually hurts my eyes lol.. No seriously though well done on the run. I wouldn't have even made it to the starting line so fair play to you for going all the way with a busted leg as well.

Barry picked out the color of the shirt. It was quite bright but I liked standing out! :lmao:

Bravo sir... Bravo!
Thank you. That means a lot coming from the master of the universe.

Wow that's a lot of runners! Congrats for finishing! :thumbsup2 Hope your leg is OK.
Thank you! Leg is still sore but it's not hurting all the time. I still can't touch the area. If I put the slightest pressure on it, it feels like someone is stabbing me. :rotfl2:

Great job!!!!!
Thank you Jen!

If only there had been a way for us to keep up with things as they we re happening. :lmao::lmao:
It is nice to hear the story of the split times we were getting on Facebook. Well done!

Thank you. I think there was only 3 updates on FB. 5K, 10K, & finish. Those are the only ones I got. :confused3

I have WAY too many threads to catch up on to multi-quote, but here are a few comments.

Love the pic of you and Mel on the bridge near France...very nice. :goodvibes

It looks like the DIS Dads had a good meet in World Showcase and, as usualy, the shenanigans were flowoing.

The fireworks as each group of runners took off were awesome.

Love the picture of the Castle as you went by it at the MK.

Whether you beat Barry or finished a little behind him, I am VERY proud of you for finishing the race, especially with the injuries you had while training. You both did awesome and I am proud to know both of you.

And, now that you did not beat Barry, you have an excuse to go back and do it again.

We put one foot in front of the other and started running.
Come on Tim! We want details! Which foot did you start off on? Left or Right?

I have to admit, it was nice being placed in the correct corral. Surprisingly, there wasn't much dodging of people at the beginning and the flow of the runners was good.
It probably helped that we were near the back of the corral. Let the masses fight among themselves up front while we stroll to the start line.

One thing though- it was HOT!

We saw a few characters at the beginning but about mile 2 on World Drive we saw Jack Sparrow & Barbosa with the Black Pearl- the same one they use in the parade. It looked really cool. We thought about stopping but the line was probably 20 people deep. We didn't want to stop that early. We kept running.
It was cool that they were blasting the Pirates theme music. I think this is when I popped one ear bud out and listened to my ipod in one ear and the course music in the other.

It was shortly after this when I had to take a pit stop in the bushes.... :rolleyes1
It was right at mile 3. I got a nice picture of the sign while waiting for you.

It was around here where I saw someone running barefoot. Ummm no thanks.
It was also right around here where that guy in the long sleeve shirt, running tights, gloves and a knit hat passed us as we're wearing tshirts and shorts and just about sweating to death. :confused3

I know Barry and I had a few conversations while running, but I can't recall what they were. LOL
Knowing me, they were probably fart jokes.

We past the Contemporary and took a sharp left and headed towards MK. We got closer and ran onto a back road and entrance to Main St. When we ran through the doors we could see thousands of people lining Main St. and cheering on the runners. It was still dark. We came around the corner and saw the castle all lit up with the icicle lights on. It was surreal.
I think I mentioned to you after we left Main Street, but I don't think I felt any pain while running that stretch. :thumbsup2

I know I have footage of this section of the race. As soon as I get it edited (and posted to my TR) I'll post it here, too.

As we ran down the right side of the castle, we saw Bambi, her parents, and the kids cheering us, well mostly Barry. We stopped for a quick picture.
No, they were cheering for you, too. Mostly me, but you too!

Madison, Barry's daughter, mentioned that if I couldn't make it she would carry me to the finish line. I asked her if she was ready to carry me... She laughed and said no. I'm not sure if she was tired or just scared of how I looked all sweaty and stuff.
I KNOW Bambi got that conversation on video. :thumbsup2

We also got in a short line for the official marathon photo in front of the castle, which you can purchase for $35.
Which was pretty bad, by the way. You can hardly see the castle at all. :(

Tim: Now... go, my son. Leave me.
Barry: No. You're coming with me. I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you.
Tim: You already... have, Barry. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.
:darth:I told her. She has no idea who you are. :lmao::lmao:

Well, it didn't go exactly like that. It was more like:

Tim: I'm done. My leg is done. Go do your thing, I'll see you later.
Barry: OK. Later Sucker!

(or something like that)
That's closer to what it actually was, I know for a fact that I just muttered "sucker" under my breath. I didn't want to discourage you! :rotfl2:

Just kidding - with all of the set backs you had in training, making it 7 miles was quite an accomplishment. We both knew you'd have a hard time finishing, but making it to your goal (the castle) and beyond was a heck of an effort. Congratulations, Tim!

I started walking and I watched Barry run off into the distance.
Wait, just how intently were you watching? Was it one of those "I hate to see you go, but love to watch you leave" things?

For a moment I felt like I failed. I should of been able to keep up with him but my leg would not allow it.
There was a real chance that coming into the race - if you had not been injured - that you could have smoked me. But we'll never know....

It just past mile 8 when I ran up to an old friend- Chris! He was walking and didn't look too good. He was having some stomach issues and wasn't feeling well.
That's because I passed him at 7 1/2 and my bean burrito breakfast was starting to rear it's ugly head. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

She told me she saw Barry running by not that long ago...
That was weird! Here I am running, not really paying attention to the crowd because I had already seen Bambi and the kids. All of a sudden, I see Mel just hanging out just over the ropes. I remember telling her that you started to fade around Mile 7, but you were determined.

Finish
Tim: 2:42:18
Barry: 2:32:16

I was 10 minutes behind Barry. He took round 1 of the nemesis challenge.
AND YOU'LL GET MORE OF THE SAME IF YOU CHALLENGE ME AGAIN!

Oooppps…
Missed a couple of updates.
Let’s see if I can correct that here…

I opened the door and noticed right away how warm and humid it was.

Not what y’all were expecting for January.

We opted to wait for the next bus so we could ride over with Chris.

Very neighborly

When the bus finally showed up there had to be at least 200 people in line, if you could call it that, waiting for a bus.

Aaaaaaand… no good deed goes unpunished.

Luckily, a second bus pulled up and we were the first ones on.

Reprieve extended…
Now you back to just being neighborly

We did have a good bus driver who knew how to drive.. AKA taking a few shortcuts and cutting people off.

The two halves of that sentence don’t quite go together :lmao:

In some places there were 30-40 port-o-pottys lines up with lines 10 people deep waiting to get in them. There were guys, and girls, doing their 'business' in the brush on the sides of the road.

“Oh what a beautiful morning…
Oh what a beautif…

Wait a minute!
***deep breath***
***cough hack wheeze ***

Good lord were y’all raised in a barn!!!”

22004_2650927008841_1438594602_n.jpg

Don't we look excited?

Exceedingly so :rotfl2:

Once in the corral, I realized why they call it a corral.

Well from your previous descriptions of the morning thus far, I’d say it was pure social commentary. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure we wished each other good luck, set our music, and started running.......

Pretty sure?

Were you still not awake and thus memory impaired or was the actual dialoged simply not suitable for these here boards?
:lmao:

We put one foot in front of the other and started running.

“Baby steps… run a half marathon”

Or something like that.

It was shortly after this when I had to take a pit stop in the bushes.... :rolleyes1:

Hay, I’m sure the plants needed watering…

There were many volunteers and spectators cheering us on and holding signs... some which made me laugh out loud.

Details man, Details!

It was around here where I saw someone running barefoot. Ummm no thanks.

Ummmm… agreed
Who am I kidding, I ain’t doing this with shoes.
:rotfl:

We ran under the water bridge and could see the Contemporary in the distance. I think this is where I started really noticing the pain in my left leg.

:headache:

I know Barry and I had a few conversations while running, but I can't recall what they were. LOL

"After you," … "No, no you first” … “oh I couldn’t posibally, you really must proceed” … “Oh, I insist, you most lead on!" …

We came around the corner and saw the castle all lit up with the icicle lights on. It was surreal.

Trying to imagine…
Nope, I can do the gasp that you breath in when you first encounter the castle, but the pain and agony of having just run X-miles… can’t add in that part of the equation.

We ran up to and through the castle. The sky was just starting to brighten. At the opening on the other side, we were looking down Main St. towards the train station.

That… however… had to be a very amazing moment considering the amount of work y’all put into this.

It’s early in the story yet, but congratulations are still in order for all of the folks that did this.

Barry and I had a heart to heart. It went something like this:

Tim: Now... go, my son. Leave me.
Barry: No. You're coming with me. I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you.
Tim: You already... have, Barry. You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.

Well, it didn't go exactly like that. It was more like:

Tim: I'm done. My leg is done. Go do your thing, I'll see you later.
Barry: OK. Later Sucker!

:lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

For a moment I felt like I failed.

Nope… you succeeded wildly just by starting the adventure in the first place. Truth is… that little competition between you two was probally the biggest driving factor in getting the DDCC underway to begin with.

It just past mile 8 when I ran up to an old friend- Chris! He was walking and didn't look too good.

The Walking Dead…

We were in the Epcot parking lot- not much farther now.

The crowds were cheering and I was really close to Spaceship Earth. All of the sudden I saw Melody…

That should be all you need to make it the rest of the way.

We ran out of a side door and saw the 13 mile marker. There also was a full gospel choir singing as we past this point. That was really cool.

I bet it was…
That I can imagine.

We came around another corner and there it was- the FINISH LINE!!!!

Finishjpeg.jpg

Victory!

I have WAY too many threads to catch up on to multi-quote, but here are a few comments.
Don't worry about it.. we are just glad you are feeling better. :goodvibes

Love the pic of you and Mel on the bridge near France...very nice.
Thank you!! :)

It looks like the DIS Dads had a good meet in World Showcase and, as usualy, the shenanigans were flowing.
Oh, they were flowing! :rotfl2:

Whether you beat Barry or finished a little behind him, I am VERY proud of you for finishing the race, especially with the injuries you had while training. You both did awesome and I am proud to know both of you.
Thank you Kathy. :goodvibes

And, now that you did not beat Barry, you have an excuse to go back and do it again.
Very true. I just need to talk Melody into letting me go again. :scratchin

this way i dont have to pick sides...i cheer for both.
Ah, I see. :3dglasses

Come on Tim! We want details! Which foot did you start off on? Left or Right?
On the good foot. ;)

It probably helped that we were near the back of the corral. Let the masses fight among themselves up front while we stroll to the start line.
That was good planning on our part. :rolleyes2

It was cool that they were blasting the Pirates theme music. I think this is when I popped one ear bud out and listened to my ipod in one ear and the course music in the other.
I had my music low so I could hear the bands, music, you blabbering.

It was right at mile 3. I got a nice picture of the sign while waiting for you.
Thank you. Now I can mark my shirt where I marked. :rotfl:

It was also right around here where that guy in the long sleeve shirt, running tights, gloves and a knit hat passed us as we're wearing tshirts and shorts and just about sweating to death.
Thats right! I also remember wanting to beat him senseless for wearing all that. pixiedust:

Knowing me, they were probably fart jokes.
and Puns.:laughing:

I think I mentioned to you after we left Main Street, but I don't think I felt any pain while running that stretch.
:ssst:

I know I have footage of this section of the race. As soon as I get it edited (and posted to my TR) I'll post it here, too.
Cool! And thanks for forwarding me the youtube links. I'll start the next post with those. :thumbsup2

No, they were cheering for you, too. Mostly me, but you too!

I KNOW Bambi got that conversation on video.
So there is going to be something worth watching for on your TR. :stir:

Which was pretty bad, by the way. You can hardly see the castle at all.
Her pic came out pretty good. ::yes::

:darth:I told her. She has no idea who you are. :lmao:
Oh.. ummmm..... nevermind then.

That's closer to what it actually was, I know for a fact that I just muttered "sucker" under my breath. I didn't want to discourage you! :rotfl2:
I KNEW IT!!

Just kidding - with all of the set backs you had in training, making it 7 miles was quite an accomplishment. We both knew you'd have a hard time finishing, but making it to your goal (the castle) and beyond was a heck of an effort. Congratulations, Tim!
I almost fell off my couch when I read this!

Thank you. :rotfl2:

Wait, just how intently were you watching? Was it one of those "I hate to see you go, but love to watch you leave" things?
No more like, 'I can't believe that #guy# is gonna beat me' :headache:

There was a real chance that coming into the race - if you had not been injured - that you could have smoked me. But we'll never know....
No we won't know. But who knows what would of happened with that heat.

That's because I passed him at 7 1/2 and my bean burrito breakfast was starting to rear it's ugly head.

That was weird! Here I am running, not really paying attention to the crowd because I had already seen Bambi and the kids. All of a sudden, I see Mel just hanging out just over the ropes. I remember telling her that you started to fade around Mile 7, but you were determined.
She said the same thing... you just popped into her sight. I think the bright shirts helped.

AND YOU'LL GET MORE OF THE SAME IF YOU CHALLENGE ME AGAIN!
I can't wait.... :rolleyes1

Oooppps…
Missed a couple of updates.
Let’s see if I can correct that here…
NP Rob. Nice to see you!

Not what y’all were expecting for January.
Not at all. We were hoping for 50 and as we got closer, the low temps kept rising.

The two halves of that sentence don’t quite go together
Well that's how people drive up here so he was good in my book. ;)

“Oh what a beautiful morning…
Oh what a beautif…

Wait a minute!
***deep breath***
***cough hack wheeze ***

Good lord were y’all raised in a barn!!!”
No.I don't think so... what's a barn?

Well from your previous descriptions of the morning thus far, I’d say it was pure social commentary. :rolleyes:

Were you still not awake and thus memory impaired or was the actual dialoged simply not suitable for these here boards?
Yes! :rotfl2:

“Baby steps… run a half marathon”

Or something like that.
You make it sound easy!

Details man, Details!
Some have come back to me...

'Run like you stole something'
'13.1 miles. Because you are only 1/2 crazy'
Sign 1 'Go Hard' Sign 2 'That's What She Said'
'Worst Parade Ever'
Sign 1 (at mile 12) 'You're 1/2 way there' Sign 2 '⟵ He's bad at math'
'That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying.'
'Go Random Stranger, Go!'

You get the picture... or sign.

Ummmm… agreed
Who am I kidding, I ain’t doing this with shoes.
Come'on. It's fun!

Trying to imagine…
Nope, I can do the gasp that you breath in when you first encounter the castle, but the pain and agony of having just run X-miles… can’t add in that part of the equation.
:rotfl:

That… however… had to be a very amazing moment considering the amount of work y’all put into this.

It’s early in the story yet, but congratulations are still in order for all of the folks that did this.
Well you know I lived. :rotfl2:

Nope… you succeeded wildly just by starting the adventure in the first place. Truth is… that little competition between you two was probally the biggest driving factor in getting the DDCC underway to begin with.
I'm not sure which one came first. Was it the chicken or the egg?

that's nice said:
Hey Katie!

I eat sauce all the time and I don't have any problems. Good thing. :rotfl2:

Good luck with your races! If you do the DL 1/2 and then a WDW 1/2 don't you get the coast to coast medal too? :confused3

Haha that is a good thing. I learned the hard way not to eat tomatoes or drink beer the night before a race this thanksgiving!

Thanks! I'm hoping the leg holds up. I'm on my way home from Disney now and my knee is quite sore right now. Yes if I FINISH both i get the coast to coast medal! Finish is the key word lol. I have my practice half in May in Boston so if I die then I'm sure I can sell my numbers on eBay something.

Haha that is a good thing. I learned the hard way not to eat tomatoes or drink beer the night before a race this thanksgiving!
Sounds like that wasn't a pleasant experience. :crazy2:

Thanks! I'm hoping the leg holds up. I'm on my way home from Disney now and my knee is quite sore right now. Yes if I FINISH both i get the coast to coast medal! Finish is the key word lol. I have my practice half in May in Boston so if I die then I'm sure I can sell my numbers on eBay something.
I'm not sure if anyone told you but if you die in May, you might not be around to sell your numbers. :rolleyes1

Hope you had a great trip! Welcome back to the cold!

Congrats on a great finish! No matter what happens during the race, having that medal around your neck makes it easy to forget the pain!

On a side note, I always get a chuckle out of the people who hop off the course for a restroom break. It amazes me how many people must have nervous bladders and are on the side of the road after a mile or two, haha!

Can't wait to hear what park you headed out to!

Congrats on a great finish! No matter what happens during the race, having that medal around your neck makes it easy to forget the pain!
Thank you! It was a great experience. I wore that medal all weekend long.... including on the plane and all the way home. :rotfl:

On a side note, I always get a chuckle out of the people who hop off the course for a restroom break. It amazes me how many people must have nervous bladders and are on the side of the road after a mile or two, haha!
With the heat I think people were drinking a lot of extra fluids. I know I did. I never drank before my training runs but it was also sub 30 degrees.

Probably why I had to make a pit stop near the speedway. :rolleyes1

Can't wait to hear what park you headed out to!
I'll give you 4 guesses. :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter