Need to vent

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
Wasn't going to but I really need to.

Very frustrated with Disney Reservations and the Fort. They really need to communicate better. When I made my reservation for 12/26-12/30/16, the reservation desk asked what I had and the size. I told her a small 17' TT. She assured me my small TT would fit into the tent pop-up site (which I already knew because we stayed in one before multiple times before) and that it would not be a problem. I had heard from my sister and another website that the Fort was cracking down on letting TT stay in those sites. I call the Fort to confirm and yes, they are now implementing this rule (which apparently has always been there, they just never enforced it) so he transfers me to the reservation desk who said they have never heard of that rule (yes I know this because you booked me there) so he puts me on hold and inquires about it, comes back and tells me, yes, they now can not book TTs in the tent sites! That the reservation CMs will be informed and trained better on this. Oh, but he's sorry, there are no other sites available so I either can cancel or bring a tent! Thanks for letting me vent.

That is so frustrating, especially since you specifically asked! I would keep checking for cancellations I guess!

And pray you don't have to modify your new reservations somewhere down the road, Terri. LOL! Bama Ed

It will be alright, will just check everyday for cancellations. I think this is the one resort that would benefit greatly to do their own reservations, just my opinion.

I will also keep an eye out for the 2100 loop to be opened . Wonder how long it will takes?

Strange, would have expected usual Disney magic to allow it to stand since the reservation was already made.

Hhhmmm
I'm with tiggerdad on this one. I would have brought the point up to them that you already had a reservation and that it isn't your fault that there is a problem with the sites. Just keep checking back from day to day. It may be a little frustrating, but it'll pay off in the end

I agree with a number of the other responses above. I would also go back to my confirmation email and see what sort of info they recorded and if size of your tt is listed. If so call back and ask to speak with a supervisor and reference what they sent you at time of booking including date and and reservation number

Here's hoping you find dates, then you can count your blessings you are not on the tent loops- so LOUD!

I think this is the one resort that would benefit greatly to do their own reservations, just my opinion.

Most definitely, since sites are quite a bit different than booking hotel rooms. And the vast, vast majority of reservation agents have never been to the Fort and can't field any camping-specific questions.

Strange, would have expected usual Disney magic to allow it to stand since the reservation was already made.

1) WDW is getting more strict on some of their rules (to avoid such could be a termination offense).
2) Many rules have been ignored and people have grown to take advantage of that.
3) So, now they are beginning to enforce several of the long established rules.

1) WDW is getting more strict on some of their rules (to avoid such could be a termination offense).
2) Many rules have been ignored and people have grown to take advantage of that.
3) So, now they are beginning to enforce several of the long established rules.

Perhaps if the fools had been doing this all along it may not be bothering people so badly now. Of course, the fact that they were ignoring the rules some of the times did create some "Disney Magic" for people so I guess I have to be mindful of how I look at it.

Hhhmmm
This was my first thought too. I get that they need to crack down, but since they have allowed it in the past, they should allow it for those who already have the reservation (and had noted the camper on it). Then as they go forward any new requests should be politely (but firmly) denied with exceptions only being allowed in extreme cases (as determined by upper level CM's). Sure they will still get objections, but they can state that it has been the rule and while not always enforce, it has been abused so they now have to reel it in.

This is probably a case where a few tend to abuse it and ruin it for all.

I hope you get to go and enjoy your trip whether you are in the "Tent" loop or elsewhere.

I get that they need to crack down, but since they have allowed it in the past, they should allow it for those who already have the reservation

1) When things change, they need to change.
2) I don't know if there is really any good time.
3) New or existing ressies, someone is going to feel cheated (eg. "They got it, why not me?")

I'm very sorry this happened to you and respect your need to vent about it. I would definitely complain to Disney about the poorly-trained reservations CMs for making this mistake.

From the perspective of a tent camper, though, I am very glad that Disney won't allow TT's in the tent/pop-up loops. They ruin the natural camping atmosphere that is part of the appeal of Fort Wilderness to tent campers. I'm glad they have different types of sites, so everyone can have their own space.

1) When things change, they need to change.
2) I don't know if there is really any good time.
3) New or existing ressies, someone is going to feel cheated (eg. "They got it, why not me?")
I agree with all things. but I think if you were promised (or allowed) something, then ripping it back out from under your feet is more painful then not being able to get it in the first place. To add salt to the wound and not be able to change from the Tent site to a FULL just makes it worse.

I get that things need to change, but if you are going to enforce a rule like this, perhaps a bit of advance notice (since it's obviously been lacking for some time) would have been prudent. Like many things, a phased approach, while still causing some grumbling, would be a much easier pill to swallow.

Like many things, a phased approach, while still causing some grumbling, would be a much easier pill to swallow.

1) OK, nice thought.
2) But, WHO gets the phased change and WHO does not?
3) And, how is it determined who gets which?
4) Talk about grumbling . . .
. . . if you were one that got chosen for Phased Approach, you would complain loudly about those who were allowed to keep the old way
. . . and, if you were allowed to keep the old way, those who were Phased would point to you as being privileged
. . . this could get loud and nasty quickly at the Front Desk and with Managers
. . . better to just change everyone at one time

I suppose what I meant by Phased approach, I mean,
Start by directing CMs to no longer accept reservations in Tent area for those with TTs. Have them Confirm with customers that they are not allowed in tent areas (whether they make mention of a TT or not)
All those customers who currently have a reservation in the Tent area, would be allowed to continue with their reservations but if they choose to "Modify" then that could be a point where they would no longer be allowed to maintain a Tent site with a TT.
Once all reservations in the Tent area have been completed (or moved to a Full or higher), the issue is over.

Alternative to accelerate things, someone could go through the reservations where a TT has been noted for a Tent site. If an alternate "FULL" (or better" site is available, then they could either call and have the customer move (the reservation) to the Full and pay the difference, or add some magic (since Disney created the problem themselves by allowing the rules to be bent) and let them stay in the full site for the same price.

It's a tough pill other way. Feelings will get hurt regardless. I just think that if someone was told that they CAN do something and then told now they CANNOT do it (after plans have been made), it creates much more animosity then if they were told in the beginning (the planning phase) that they CANNOT do it because the rules have changed. Rules change all the time. Speed limits have changed, and when that happens, officers are directed to only give warnings for a period of time. Most states that changed a drinking age from 18 to 21, typically did a phased approach. Those that were 19 or 20 during the change were "Grandfathered" in. That's all I am saying at this point.

1) OK, nice thought.
2) But, WHO gets the phased change and WHO does not?
3) And, how is it determined who gets which?
4) Talk about grumbling . . .
. . . if you were one that got chosen for Phased Approach, you would complain loudly about those who were allowed to keep the old way
. . . and, if you were allowed to keep the old way, those who were Phased would point to you as being privileged
. . . this could get loud and nasty quickly at the Front Desk and with Managers
. . . better to just change everyone at one time

OK everyone, I'll be the 1st one to request that The Rusty Scupper be in charge of reservations.
He's the one who seems to make the most sense and seems to clearly have a handle on what needs to be done in the proper fashion.
By Pirate code, can I get an "AYE" to second the motion

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter