Need to vent on prices

Agree with the OP. The trend I have noticed over the past 5 years is the little things or not so little things that have changed - the dining plan used to include tipping and an appetizer - both have since been taken away.

Peak periods have been expanded - a few years ago when we went in the summer it was not considered a peak dining period; this then changed and the last time we went we were suddenly dining during peak period and our family of 6 saw an unpleasant peak period rate increase for our meals.

Now while we witnessed these changes to our costs, we did not appreciate any added value to the meals, nor to the quality and experience of dining at WDW.

+

I know somewhere were a piece of fruit is $2.50, a small beer is $7.50 and a box of frozen fries bought for under $12 is fried and put in a paper trays and sold for $1000. Pick from a number of typical and crappy entrees and lunch on a cafeteria tray ends up being over $20. Also during peak season a day pass costs over $90. You can buy a cheap souvenire like a sticker for $4 or clothings from $20 to $500. If you want you can stay in a nice hotel nearby for a few hundred bucks. And what are you going to do at night? Spend more money somewhere nearby.

Disney is not terribly expensive.

I haven't read all the posts here but I just had to say......We own our own business and we charge $1.50 for a 20 oz coke product. The same product that Disney buys by the truckload! We are making $ on the sale. I understand this is a much larger operation than we are but...Just saying!

From what I understand...Disney doesn't "buy" Coke products. They get them for free in lieu of advertising for Coke.

In addition, it's Disney, folks. I pay for my Disneyland AP every year (and no, NOT the Southern California Annual pass) and I visit there almost weekly, spending $$ every visit, on things from bottles of water to ice cream to a nice sit down dinner (went to Storytellers Cafe tonight for dinner with the family for a birthday). And yes, I also make the trek to WDW every now and again. The price of their food is no better than the price of a soda at a sporting event or any other theme park.

Bottom line: Disney costs money. Don't go there if you're going to complain about the price of a soda or an ice cream. Not worth the headache.

Just my two cents. :wizard:

Bottom line: Disney costs money. Don't go there if you're going to complain about the price of a soda or an ice cream. Not worth the headache.

I think it's the fact that people are getting less for more money that causes most of the complaints. If the quality and serving size were identical to what you would have received five years ago, but the price had increased, I think there would be far less complaining.

I feel they have increased prices, especially at TS restaurants, while at the same time cutting portion size and selection, as well as cutting corners on quality. Disney isn't the only company doing it, but they are doing it. However, it really doesn't do any good to complain. The best statement you can make is to not purchase their food. Vote with your wallet.

I always have breakfast foods in my room, so I very seldom buy breakfast at Disney. If I'm staying DVC or in a FW cabin, I eat most of my meals in the room and just snack at the parks. If all I have in the room is a fridge, I keep sandwich fixings in it. I feel that's the best way for me to let them know how I feel and get the most for my money at the same time. Plus, I avoid all that ADR stress :thumbsup2!

I know somewhere were a piece of fruit is $2.50, a small beer is $7.50 and a box of frozen fries bought for under $12 is fried and put in a paper trays and sold for $1000. Pick from a number of typical and crappy entrees and lunch on a cafeteria tray ends up being over $20. Also during peak season a day pass costs over $90. You can buy a cheap souvenire like a sticker for $4 or clothings from $20 to $500. If you want you can stay in a nice hotel nearby for a few hundred bucks. And what are you going to do at night? Spend more money somewhere nearby.

Disney is not terribly expensive.

Ok, that just didn't make sense.... :confused3

From what I understand...Disney doesn't "buy" Coke products. They get them for free in lieu of advertising for Coke.

In addition, it's Disney, folks. I pay for my Disneyland AP every year (and no, NOT the Southern California Annual pass) and I visit there almost weekly, spending $$ every visit, on things from bottles of water to ice cream to a nice sit down dinner (went to Storytellers Cafe tonight for dinner with the family for a birthday). And yes, I also make the trek to WDW every now and again. The price of their food is no better than the price of a soda at a sporting event or any other theme park.

The OP actually commented on the price of chips then the decline in meal quality....and that poster is correct; the pricing for pre-packed items is ridiculous and the food quality has gone down.

I do often wonder though why when folks have nothing relevant to add to the discussion it all comes down to "Don't go there if you're going to complain"? Mighty weak argument, I'm just sayin....

I haven't read all the posts here but I just had to say......We own our own business and we charge $1.50 for a 20 oz coke product. The same product that Disney buys by the truckload! We are making $ on the sale. I understand this is a much larger operation than we are but...Just saying!

Exactly! Disney is raking in the dough. I've been part of a restaurant family my whole life - Italian restaurants, pizzerias, cafeterias, private catering, university/highschool eateries, etc. I've seen it all with my family who uses the highest quality ingredients, yet doesn't have the buying power of Disney. When cheese goes up (as it just did to a ridiculously high amount), my family can't really raise prices. Minimum wage is over $10.00/hour! Smaller places have to raise prices slowly, or, they will upset very valued customers. Some customers have been with my family for well over 30 years, so they treat them very well.

The fact remains that Disney food is expensive, and the quality goes down each year, as does the service, while their profit margins continue to rise.

Is it good for theme park food? Maybe...but compared to what it was a few years ago, it is not the same, and with so many free promos and such, I don't think it ever will be again.

Agree with the OP. The trend I have noticed over the past 5 years is the little things or not so little things that have changed - the dining plan used to include tipping and an appetizer - both have since been taken away.

Peak periods have been expanded - a few years ago when we went in the summer it was not considered a peak dining period; this then changed and the last time we went we were suddenly dining during peak period and our family of 6 saw an unpleasant peak period rate increase for our meals.

Now while we witnessed these changes to our costs, we did not appreciate any added value to the meals, nor to the quality and experience of dining at WDW.

I think they did this as a way to suck people in, as the Dining Plan was a new product. We paid $34.99 with appetizer and tip included in the first summer of the DP, yet now, a few years later, it's $46.99 without appetizer and tip as summer is now peak season.:scared1: The peak surcharge fees are ridiculous, and after years of spending thousands upons thousands of dollars on 2-3 TS meals per day, we are done! We will be eating breakfast and dinner in our villa each day, with a daily CS lunch. We used to hate CS meals, but now, they aren't so bad. In fact, some of them are just as good as some of the overpriced and oversalted TS meals that we've paid a mint for.

This is a silly argument. All those sodas and ice cream add up, but most are not complaining about a $2.00 glass of soda, but $40.00 before tip on a subpar buffet. That's the issue for many of us, who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on Disney food in the past.

Tiger

I feel like the biggest chump of all. I paid $17 and some change yesterday for a COOKIE at the GF gingerbread house. :sad2: I'll never get over that one. Lesson learned. KNOW the price before you pick up an item and hand over the debit card. That is robbery.

some , or i should say most prices are too high... like the $3 pretzel rod, yes just one rod at teh bakery on Sunset in DHS. However we did find a great deal at POP. They had breadsticks and marinara for $2 and you got 2 big delicious sticks. They also had gigantic sundaes as the dessert for a quick service.

I think it's the fact that people are getting less for more money that causes most of the complaints. If the quality and serving size were identical to what you would have received five years ago, but the price had increased, I think there would be far less complaining.

Have you been to a grocery store lately? The same thing is happening there too. Smaller packages, but higher prices.

At least at WDW I can bring my own food in, if I so choose. I can think of no other venue like it that would allow that! Plus, you still have other options if you don't think Disney food is worth the price. You are not forced to stay in the parks and eat if you don't want to.

I guess I look at it more in context of what is going on outside of WDW. I think I would be suprised if they didn't raise prices. I don't buy into the whole quality has gone down argument. If it has, I haven't noticed it, and I have been going to WDW 2 or 3 times a year for the last 5 years, and once a year for years on end before that. I think the quality (if not the number of selctions) is still high, and I still cannot finish all the food they put on my plate. Ymmv.

The prices are too high. The quality is too low. But we all are the reason for this.:lovestruc

I'm with the others; Disney's prices are high, but on par with other theme park destinations. We just spent a few days at an indoor waterpark resort where a pepperoni pizza runs $23, a generic dinner buffet $20/adult $9/child, and a basic caramel apple $7. Aside from the candy counter, nothing we've eaten there over three visits has been anything better than just okay. And don't even get me started on the food quality and prices at Cedar Point...

We haven't had terrible or even bad dining experiences at Disney, and we've had some excellent meals there. I don't mind paying the premium because we can generally count on enjoying our meals. If ever that changes (and I know for some it already has - maybe we've just been lucky so far in avoiding any really bad experiences), we'll rethink how we spend our lodging and dining dollars. Bonnet Creek and the new Waldorf are both very appealing options if the day ever comes that we want to rent a car and do more of our spending offsite.

Very true but the difference is that when you go to the movies you are pretty certain that the popcorn & soda will always taste the same. Now lets say they started charging you the same outrageous prices and 1/2 your bag of popcorn was kernels or the popcorn was burnt, or if that jug of soda was flat and filled with ice. How would you feel about the "convenience".

Actually, this is a complaint I have about the big chain theatre we sometimes go to - instead of freshly made popcorn they now have it pre-bagged so you can't ask for extra butter or salt throughout. You now add those things yourself, so of course it ends up piled on top and practically butter-less at the bottom. And if you go during a busy time, they try to get away with the pre-filled drinks too. :sad2: I think getting less for more money is a universal trend right now, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Actually, this is a complaint I have about the big chain theatre we sometimes go to - instead of freshly made popcorn they now have it pre-bagged so you can't ask for extra butter or salt throughout. You now add those things yourself, so of course it ends up piled on top and practically butter-less at the bottom. And if you go during a busy time, they try to get away with the pre-filled drinks too. :sad2: I think getting less for more money is a universal trend right now, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

It will only change when we quit patronizing these establishments. Don't see that happening either. Too much lemming in Americans.

It will only change when we quit patronizing these establishments. Don't see that happening either. Too much lemming in Americans.

And too much market share held by too few companies. Both AMC and MJR do the pre-portioned popcorn, and those are the only first run theatres around in the area where DH & I grew up. So the choice is tolerate it or wait for DVD. We're lucky enough to be in a small town with a little local theatre that has better service, but they only have 3 screens and show mainly kids/family films (right now, Harry Potter, Tangled, and Megamind) so we do still sometimes go to the bigger chain theatre in the city if there's something we want to see that isn't running locally.

Disney is the same way. The choices are to put up with Disney's prices or to forego the very unique product that Disney has to offer. For most of us, staying in a DVC villa with a kitchen and cooking or renting a car and running offsite for meals is not a reasonable use of limited vacation budgets and time, and I'm sure Disney knows that. The only thing I see on the horizon that could change that is the amount of third-party development they're allowing on site. It seems like they're paving the way for a lot of competition that could (hopefully) force them to raise the bar again to keep their own resorts and restaurants full.

And too much market share held by too few companies. Both AMC and MJR do the pre-portioned popcorn, and those are the only first run theatres around in the area where DH & I grew up. So the choice is tolerate it or wait for DVD. We're lucky enough to be in a small town with a little local theatre that has better service, but they only have 3 screens and show mainly kids/family films (right now, Harry Potter, Tangled, and Megamind) so we do still sometimes go to the bigger chain theatre in the city if there's something we want to see that isn't running locally.

Disney is the same way. The choices are to put up with Disney's prices or to forego the very unique product that Disney has to offer. For most of us, staying in a DVC villa with a kitchen and cooking or renting a car and running offsite for meals is not a reasonable use of limited vacation budgets and time, and I'm sure Disney knows that. The only thing I see on the horizon that could change that is the amount of third-party development they're allowing on site. It seems like they're paving the way for a lot of competition that could (hopefully) force them to raise the bar again to keep their own resorts and restaurants full.

I dunno, there are other options than the DDP-places, which seems to be the bulk of the source of complaint. I'm left thinking the places in Downtown Disney or the restaurants at the Swan + Dolphin may be decent options, while still staying mostly on property. And Garden Grocer really does alleviate a lot of the 'need' to eat restaurant food on the vacation (course you still pay a premium with them but it can help).

With AMC/MJR at least, you still have the very valid of option of not eating at the theatre :).

You still have some options anyway :).

Yeah, the dining prices have gone up but on every trip, my husband and I comment and compare to going to a sporting event. That $2.50 bottle of water from Disney World will cost you $4 at most stadiums in the county. Add in the fact that you cannot take in your free bottle of water in the stadium but you can at Disney. You can also take in your free sandwiches and snacks but you can't at stadiums. Well, at NASCAR you can.

You choose what you eat at Disney World. My husband and I might do one table service meal for lunch during our trips. The rest is counter service and snacks. We love the $1.89 egg rolls at Animal Kingdom. You can find bargains but we steer clear of the signature places and buffets.

Disney can be expensive but only if you make it. Don't go to the places you find too high in price and then you'll be happier.[/QUOTe

Couldn't have said it better :thumbsup2

I saw Tangled on Saturday. I bought 1 medium bag of popcorn, 1 hotdog, 1 medium drink, and 2 kids drinks...for $29. :headache: Disney doesn't look so bad in comparison.

We went out to dinner that night:
$17.99 for fish and chips
$14.00 for a French dip sandwich.
$6.99 each for two kids meals (ice cream not included)

I get comparing Disney to other places however we are at WDW for at least 7days and at a sports event for a few hours. I will be in Disney in less than 24 hours. We are staying for 10 days of course we will be spending $$ on food and drinks. I was just venting as the OP was!

Can't wait to see the Scifi Dining theater. Prices are high, but I think the place it worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter