Need Reassurance - Feeling Overwhelmed by Choices and Issues

ZehnJahren

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

While I'm new to these boards, I'm not new to WDW - I used to go at least once a year or so as a kid and knew the parks inside and out. However, I haven't been since 2000 (and I was very ill for several years, so this is even more exciting) and am planning a trip with my boyfriend (who has never, ever been - even to Florida!) for 11/29 through 12/4 of this year. We figured lesser crowds, less heat, plus a week and a half off work (due to Thanksgiving)? Perfect!

I was so unbelieveably excited when we booked, and then so excited when I knew our ADRs were coming up. But now, I just feel overwhelmed. I can't figure out a good plan for our parks while we're there - and I can't see everything I want to see with him on this first trip. I know I need to make ADRs so that we can have the sit-down meals we both love, but I can't make them because I can't figure out our parks. My whole life we always went to MK first day, so to abandon that feels weird, but we want to see Illuminations; but then we miss Fantasmic unless we change our MVMCP to Tuesday instead of Thursday, which I didn't want to do. So it needs to be Epcot on Monday; but then what? Ugh.:sad2:

I was so excited at the beginning, and now I'm feeling like instead of the "perfect vacation" we're just going to have a vacation. I wanted it to be great! That's ok, but I like to have a lot planned out so that we get our money's worth, and my DB is much more "go-with-the-flow." I just want to see everything I've wanted to see since 2000 (TEN YEARS!! and several of them very, very ill!), while taking him into account, especially when he's never been and I NEED him to love it. He has already said "we like it, we go back every year. That's just how it will be." So he has to like it - because I always loved it and it would validate being sick so much to just be able to go to WDW every year. This is DB and my very first "real" vacation together.

I feel disappointed. Please tell me you've had the same issues and had a great time and gotten to at least eat once at someplace you wanted to. :( Please? I just need a little reassurance.

Hello all,

While I'm new to these boards, I'm not new to WDW - I used to go at least once a year or so as a kid and knew the parks inside and out. However, I haven't been since 2000 (and I was very ill for several years, so this is even more exciting) and am planning a trip with my boyfriend (who has never, ever been - even to Florida!) for 11/29 through 12/4 of this year. We figured lesser crowds, less heat, plus a week and a half off work (due to Thanksgiving)? Perfect!

I was so unbelieveably excited when we booked, and then so excited when I knew our ADRs were coming up. But now, I just feel overwhelmed. I can't figure out a good plan for our parks while we're there - and I can't see everything I want to see with him on this first trip. I know I need to make ADRs so that we can have the sit-down meals we both love, but I can't make them because I can't figure out our parks. My whole life we always went to MK first day, so to abandon that feels weird, but we want to see Illuminations; but then we miss Fantasmic unless we change our MVMCP to Tuesday instead of Thursday, which I didn't want to do. So it needs to be Epcot on Monday; but then what? Ugh.:sad2:

I was so excited at the beginning, and now I'm feeling like instead of the "perfect vacation" we're just going to have a vacation. I wanted it to be great! That's ok, but I like to have a lot planned out so that we get our money's worth, and my DB is much more "go-with-the-flow." I just want to see everything I've wanted to see since 2000 (TEN YEARS!! and several of them very, very ill!), while taking him into account, especially when he's never been and I NEED him to love it. He has already said "we like it, we go back every year. That's just how it will be." So he has to like it - because I always loved it and it would validate being sick so much to just be able to go to WDW every year. This is DB and my very first "real" vacation together.

I feel disappointed. Please tell me you've had the same issues and had a great time and gotten to at least eat once at someplace you wanted to. :( Please? I just need a little reassurance.

Our group was selected to perform in Magic Music Days and I was so excited. I got overwhelmed by the planning because they didn't tell us our performance times (we knew the dates) until 2 weeks before and I felt I couldn't plan parks without that. So I was stuck booking ADRs for NINETEEN people 1.5 weeks before our trip. I wanted this trip to be special for the awesome teens that I work with. But guess what? We made two ADRs that the group is REALLY happy with (that's all we can afford-- the rest is counter service). So if we made the bookings we wanted 1.5 weeks in advance, you will be fine :)

good for you!.... oh, one of the best treatment for acute anxiety

is quite simple, deep breathing. :wizard:

as for your trip, i think whatever you decide things will work
out & bring unexpected magic. when i look back @ our trips,
i can't separate the best ones from those we planned, to
those we just let happened.

there's something special waiting for everyone who has the
spirit of sharing. all that is truly required is faith, some dust
& a lil'~ participation. psst, hard work & disney is like oil and
water.

"pay attention", be aware of all the things you want to share
with each other ,but also those "sharing" the parks with you.
( some of my favorite memories came from others "out to
have some fun") . here's a big secret, an act of kindness is the
best way to impress others. :rolleyes1

if i may be so bold, i would suggest organizing your trip by
checking out the parks schedules and making a list of a few of
your favorites things...past experiences with some of the new
stuff.

eating? that's one my favorite hobbies! i would go with your
favorite foods. also, i think, one only needs a major meal per day,
because one of "our greatest tradition, is making our snacks
times into an art. if you can, watch some of sam. brown's favorites.

be happy, don't worry! did walt invent that song? :laughing:
fretting isn't necessary and serve no useful purposes while
@ disney. so what if you missed something on a list or something
goes wrong? most often , it will produces something worth
remembering that you could 've never done on your own.

take a few moment s every day, to stop, & smell the flowers.

don't be afraid to share your story with those inspiring your
feelings. especially any cast members reaching out to you.

99 my kids came back to the wildness lodge s/p rainy miserable
epcot day. there was a gator towel animal. next thing they did
was make up a croc hunter skit. {accent & all} . it was so neat.

another time, was trying to get my daughter close enough so she
would see the headless horseman. as i did that , cost my previous
position to across from her . [for pictures]. by luck & frustrations,
there were 2 newly wed couple who invited me in their place.
they had met @ work....disney cast members.

last year, my daughter informed me, she too big to be waking up
tinker bell. that's ok honey, daddy isn't too old...guess who had
to do it?! "now with daddy & all". [& we both got the paper work too!]
she would never had done this if i had tried to planned it beforehand,
it was just spur of the moment. besides, i was never going to see
those "people" again.

so don't worry, no matter if you don't get the prefect reservs., or
room, or weather.....my guess they all will lead to something
bigger & better...if the spirit is ready, pixiedust:

ps, it pretty self evident by your post, you are! :teacher:
[ on the right track...having the desire, :thumbsup2,

ever heard of the old song...."you have to have a dream before
your dream can come true?"

and the best reason i find this to be true, is because our
"faith" are made up from all the things you truly believe in. &
you believe in the magic, right?

best of luck, :tinker:

You have already realized the first and most important point - you can't do it all in one trip! Knowing that from the beginning is a big help!

Take a deep breath, and then think about what is most important to you. Is having the dining reservations more important than whether you pick the best park for the day or the second best park for the day? It sounds like that might be the case. So go ahead and make ADR's for the restaurants you absolutely don't want to miss, and work your park days around those.

If you are visiting 8 days, and only have 6 "must visit" restaurants, then that leaves some flexibility in your schedule for last minute park changes. I've found most of the time, even during free dining, I've been able to find a TS meal somewhere - it may not be my first or even second choice, but it's always been good. So on those days, the park is the priority and not the food. One hint - I've found it's much easier to get last minute lunch ADR's than dinner ADR's. Sometimes a late lunch makes a good substitute for dinner, and you can stop for a dessert snack later in the evening.

The important thing is to allow yourself the freedom to be flexible, to stop and smell the roses, and to do what you want to do, when you want to do it.

Hi There, I am planning our trip from Nov. 28 to Dec. 4 and you have me confused and freaked out!! :scared1: Why can't you go to MK first? According to www.wdwparkhours.com, Illuminations is every night. I hope I have it right...

The other thing I wanted to tell you is that you can't do it all. Something's gotta give, so make a list and assign priorities. I did that and when I stuck to it, it helped.

Also, visit the new november planning thread...I'm sorry, I don't know how to post links...

It is a pretty rare occassion when Illuminations is not shown every night...in the 20 or so times I have been there...it has been shown every night...so not sure where that came from....

Second..like some have said...take a DEEP breath...there..feel better? Ok..as far as ADR's, personally I am the kind of guy who perfers counter service meals...after all if I am paying $50-$85 a day to be in the parks I do not want to waste and hour and a half eating in a set down resturant...I can do that anytime...I can not ride Tower of Terror every day...so for me...I may make a few ADR's and if they work out..ok..if not..no biggie...

Quite a bit has changed in the 10 years since you have been there...I have been asked by quite a few people to help them plan their first WDW trip..so I wised up and put it all down in a short WORD program...I think it's easy to read....if you or anyone else woul like to see my "plans"...just send me a PM with your email adress and I would be happy to send it to you...

Have a GREAT time at the Happiest Place on Earth!!!

Your replies are VERY much appreciated, everyone. These boards are very cool - I know there are other WDW lovers out there, but it feels nice to see all of them at once! :)

While i have NEVER had the issues you are having...i think i may still be able to help you.
You obviously have been to WDW before so you know all the basics.
I have found that the reason alot of people get "overwhelmed" or disappointed is because the plan too much and try to do too much.
They plan all the ADR's and when to be here and when to be there...
When we go, we stay at a Value resort 99% of the time. Its nice, its clean and its simple. All Star Music to be exact.
We also never buy park hoppers....we do one park per day, leave and come back the same day if we must but only 1 park per day.
We dont do alot of "sit down" restaurants...we do alot of counter service typr eating.....I.E. Cosmic Rays.
By sticking to a basic plan we are NEVER disappointed, NEVER let down and we dont really get tired and feel like we rushed....And, We ALWAYS have the best times at WDW or DLR
:)

I could have written this myself. I think it's information overload. I want this to be a great vacation for my family but it's getting to be too much. I'm ready to scrap it and rent a cabin in the mountains away from ADR's, fastpasses, special hard ticket events, rope drops, busses, and mouse ears! :lmao:

Take a deep breath and relax, it'll all work out in the end! (At least that's what I'm telling myself!)

Hee Hee. Not getting it perfect the first time is and excuse to go back over and over again. :goodvibes

I agree with a PP. I think we all make a big deal of it because it can get complicated in some situations, but it doesn't have to be. And you still have lots of time.

Any trip to Disney is going to be great, but here's sending you some help. :wizard:

I NEED him to love it. He has already said "we like it, we go back every year. That's just how it will be." So he has to like it - because I always loved it and it would validate being sick so much to just be able to go to WDW every year. This is DB and my very first "real" vacation together.
I picked this out as it's basically stating what your prime concern is and where your getting most of the anxiety about the trip from. You want it to be perfect for him. While admirable, realizing that it won't be absolutely perfect is a great step into taking control.

Get the basics down. What you want to do, what you want to do with him. Go from there. You'll have plenty of time to hit the highlights and give him that special sense of Disney. Afterall, his best memory may simply be seeing your face as you walk under the tunnel in MK ;).

So, take a breath, relax a little, and just take it piece by piece.

It's quite common. Even if everything isn't perfect, you're going to have a great time.

If you already know that you'll come back next year, then why try to plan everything in this trip? Overplanning is a surefire way to make your BF not like WDW. Rushing around because you have to fit XYZ in is just no fun.

Pick 2 night time performances that are "must do's" and schedule around those. I'd suggest Illuminations for one of them, for sure. The others can be done next trip, or hey, you might get lucky and be in the right place/right time for them. That's the Disney Magic!

You have 6 days it looks like, yes? Make 3-4 ADRs, no more (if it is only 4 full days, make 2 ADRs). You will be going during a less busy time, so you can easily pick up the phone from your hotel room, select "dining" and find something if you want a sit down dinner on a day that you don't have something scheduled. I would suggest doing this 24 hours in advance, though - you'll get more variety. Everyone here would have you believe that if you want to sit down, you need an ADR 180 days in advance. That's just not true for MOST of the restaurants onsite, and you may find that one of your favorite days is the one that is half-planned the night before.

Ive been to WDW many many times and have ALWAYS come away feeling that I have gotten my money's worth - and then some.

One of the fun things about WDW for me, is that I feel like I'm right inthe heart of the action. I think you kind of have to go into it knowing you can't be every where at once - BUT - knowing that no matter where you ARE at any given time - something FUN is likely to be going on. There are little treats and surprises all over WDW. It's the energy that makes it magical.

Every trip, even though I KNOW WDW very well - we find some sort of new thing, or unexpected thing. I thikn trying to anticipate everything you'll see is the wrong approach. Try to let it be a vacation of discovery instead. I truly thinnk that's what Walt intended - not somethig that's planned out ahead of time down to the tiny details.

One thing I've learned from many trips: the trip is never going to be PERFECT, not matter how hard you try. Some trips are closer than others, but just abot every trip is great. Realisitcally, small things go wrong when you plan any event. That's just how it is. Going to WDW is no different. You can't control everything, only your reaction to those events.

What I like to plan is my hotel, one ADR per day, and a park per day. If we want to change, we do.

Sometimes the last minute ADR's we get end up being the best of all. I really mean, several times we've gone to the reservations desk the day we wanted to dine and asked what we could get that day. As recent as last Feb - two of teh best meals we had were last minute ADR's. Part of what made them so great was that they WERE unexpected treats.

Honestly, this thread has made a difference for me today. I thought I'd reach out last night because I was feeling overwhelmed and worried -- and after reading these answers (and I even had someone email me their suggestions for visiting on our days - I couldn't believe someone would take the time like that to look at everything I was doing and try to help!!!), I actually feel excited again today where I was feeling disappointed yesterday.

You're right; I'm going to make it a horrible trip if I rule it with an iron fist. I want my BF (DBF!) to love it, but we're going to have a great time because we ALWAYS have a great time together. I actually revised my initial ideas and decided to only make one ADR (California Grill or Victoria and Albert's; some place either very nice or in a great location) if I can get it, and other than that we'll just wing it and see what we can do while there. If nothing, it doesn't matter - we're going to enjoy every minute together, I know it! Plus, only one ADR means we can wing the parks we go to, which I should have decided to do about a month ago.

I'm feeling some relief - thank you to everyone.

You and bf have similar personalities to me and dh! :D I'm the planner, he's laidback.
Last year, we went to Chicago for several days with our 9yodd, 6yods and 3modd. I planned probably 2 weeks worth of things for us to do, knowing we wouldn't do it all. We picked the things that were most important for us and did them . . . I have lots of plans for when we go back :D
That's kind of how I'm looking at our first trip to WDW (with 10yodd, 8yods, 1.5yodd). I'll have lots of plans in mind, so we can notice things and do things that appeal to us at the time. In our case, each family member (except the baby) will have 1 thing in each park that is a "must do". Everything other than those 4 things will be "icing on the cake". I'll have all the information and possible plans, but we'll take each day as it comes and enjoy the things we end up choosing.

In our case, each family member (except the baby) will have 1 thing in each park that is a "must do". Everything other than those 4 things will be "icing on the cake". I'll have all the information and possible plans, but we'll take each day as it comes and enjoy the things we end up choosing.

That's my problem - my "must-do's in each park" keep me from doing other things I "must-do" in OTHER parks! Probably will end up missing some things, but I guess the BF won't know that he missed anything! I do, however, want to figure out some fun "first-timer" things - I was considering the Epcot tour where you snorkel.

Trying to figure out a surprise (we're celebrating a LOT in November - first year in our first house - we dated long-distance for over a year before I moved in with him and we got a home, it's just after our 2 year anniversary, his 31st birthday, his first time, his first time to FLORIDA!, my first time back in 10 years, my 1-year anniversary at my job) to make it special...

That's my problem - my "must-do's in each park" keep me from doing other things I "must-do" in OTHER parks! Probably will end up missing some things, but I guess the BF won't know that he missed anything! I do, however, want to figure out some fun "first-timer" things - I was considering the Epcot tour where you snorkel.

I think you missed the point of the 'must do'

You pick 1 or 2 things in each park, and that's it! That's why I said pick 2 night time performances.

Then you will very likely get through your must do's - and then have time for other things that are just fun bonuses.

I think with the short amount of time you have, you don't want to spend any time on tours. The snorkel tour will probably leave you wondering why you spent so much time doing it, when you could have just looked at the fish from the aquarium and gone to do more stuff. Tours are fun to do if you've already done everything else and want to see some extra behind the scenes things. You're not quite there yet, though ;)

planning a trip with my boyfriend (who has never, ever been - even to Florida!) for 11/29 through 12/4 of this year.

I can't figure out a good plan for our parks while we're there - and I can't see everything I want to see with him on this first trip. I know I need to make ADRs so that we can have the sit-down meals we both love, but I can't make them because I can't figure out our parks. My whole life we always went to MK first day, so to abandon that feels weird, but we want to see Illuminations; but then we miss Fantasmic unless we change our MVMCP to Tuesday instead of Thursday, which I didn't want to do. So it needs to be Epcot on Monday; but then what? Ugh.:sad2:

my DB is much more "go-with-the-flow." I just want to see everything I've wanted to see since 2000 (TEN YEARS!! and several of them very, very ill!), while taking him into account, especially when he's never been and I NEED him to love it. He has already said "we like it, we go back every year. That's just how it will be." So he has to like it - because I always loved it and it would validate being sick so much to just be able to go to WDW every year. This is DB and my very first "real" vacation together.

I just need a little reassurance.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on going back to WDW! ANd getting to bring your special someone. You say he's laid back so stop worrying about him having a good time. He will - because he'll be with you, right :love: He has nothing to compare it to so he's going to enjoy whatever you plan :hug:

From 11/29 to 12/4 are 4 full days plus your arrival/leave days. So with 4 parks, why not do a park each full day you are there? Since you feel you must do MK on the first day, go on 11/29, your arrival day. Let your sweetheart chose what to do on 12/4. I suggest this not knowing if you have hoppers, so I'm assuming you're doing 1 park per day.

So do MK on your MVMCP night, do DHS on a day you can do fantasmic if possible, then Illuminiations is every night so you can do it any night & AK doesn't have a night show so put it where it works best for a later romantic dinner elsewhere. Choose a TS dinner around the park you're going to tour for each of the 4 days. Then pick a resort TS for your last day that won't be dependent upon being in a park if DBF chooses what park that last day. You can also choose a resort near MK for your first night.

That is probably enough planning in advance. Before you get there, decide 3-4 must do's per park & then do those first. Let everything else be spontaneous :thumbsup2

and GOOD WISHES for having recovered over a long term illness, sounds like this vacation is just what the doctor ordered :grouphug:

I think you missed the point of the 'must do'

You pick 1 or 2 things in each park, and that's it! That's why I said pick 2 night time performances.

Then you will very likely get through your must do's - and then have time for other things that are just fun bonuses.

I think with the short amount of time you have, you don't want to spend any time on tours. The snorkel tour will probably leave you wondering why you spent so much time doing it, when you could have just looked at the fish from the aquarium and gone to do more stuff. Tours are fun to do if you've already done everything else and want to see some extra behind the scenes things. You're not quite there yet, though ;)

I've been following the thread and just wanted to jump in and agree with linzbear that a tour is probably not the best choice for this trip. I think there will be so many things to see just in the parks without needing to schedule a lot of time consuming extras. Tours generally wouldn't be my reccomendation for a first timer like your DBF anyways. I think you've gotten a lot of good advice on how to go about planning and how much to plan and I'll just echo one more time to not overplan! I'm guilty of that myself and it's those trips that I've done the least amount of planning that ended up being the best ones. Not that it isn't a good idea to have a basic daily park plan and a couple of ADR's. :thumbsup2
Congrats on your triumphant return to WDW! :wizard:

That's my problem - my "must-do's in each park" keep me from doing other things I "must-do" in OTHER parks!
I think you missed the number 1 before the must do. Each member gets 1 per park. That's it. Everything else is just "it's nice we got to do that too". So, go through each park and pick your absolute 2 you have to go to, and 3 others that are really close. Then, everything else will be nice, but not a necessity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter