Need Help! Major Red day - What would you do??

KCB4

Earning My Ears
We are going to have to go to MK on a red day!! Any suggestions (i am worried about the last 2 days but would take input on any of it). I am also lost on FP+ as this will be our first trip with that.

11/19 - MK MVMCP (not sure where to eat)
11/20 - Epcot (Biergarten - noon)
11/21 - AK (Kona - 5:20 pm)
11/22 - MK - (BOG 8:05 and Ohana - 4:40)
11/23 - H (Captains Grill - 5:30)
11/24 - MK ( CRT - 4:15)
11/25 - ?? AK (Cape May - 5pm)
11/26 - ?? MK (BOG 5:35pm)

Thanks

Be there for rope drop. We have gone over Christmas when crowds are at their highest. However, we were still able to get a lot done by getting to the parks early. Also, if you anticipate crowds somehow it always seems easier to handle then thinking you are going on a "green" day and it ends up being more crowded than you expected!

FP+ tip - use for the high demand / long wait rides is you really want to do those. Our strategy is to rope drop one of those (so that might be space mountain at MK) and then FP+ the others (SDMT for example). Save your FP+ for late morning or early afternoon so you don't waste them early in the day when the lines tend to be shorter. But, so many people have different strategies. Do not expect to get a high demand FP+ as your fourth fastpass in the park. Our experience is that the fourth fastpass tends to be something that doesn't have much of a wait anyways like Stitch or Laugh Factory. (which I suggest avoiding Stitch all together! - Laugh Factor is fun but probably you don't need a fastpass)

I agree about reading the Mesaboy FP thread linked by the PP. It will help you with deciding your FP priorities. I also wouldn't worry too much about your last day being a non recommended day. You will already have several MK days under your belt, and should already have seen all your favourites at least once by then.

I would get there at rope drop and have an idea of a touring plan in your head. A good touring plan really can make a difference I've discovered over the years.

ALSO, with Thanksgiving week, and a busy day at MK, they will likely have an early open. Those first two hours you could accomplish a lot.

I would get there at rope drop and have an idea of a touring plan in your head. A good touring plan really can make a difference I've discovered over the years.
Yep, I am not sure where to start on a plan.. We have been once.. I have heard of easywdw but only see the cheat sheet is that what I need to go by?

We went to MK on 4th of July, yes we knew what we were getting into.....The park opened at 8 and being offsite looking at photo times, we arrived at TTC just after 7, were waiting inside the gate at 7:30 and were inside around 7:50. Our order of attack was....Peter Pan, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear, visit with Tinkerbelle, Stitch's Great Escape and Carousel Of Progress before our 12:20 reservation at The Plaza (got there at 12)...after lunch we found a spot to watch the parade near the beginning, Splash Mountain FP, visit with Woody, 7DMT FP, Space Mountain FP, met Buzz, Mickey's Philharmagic, found a spot for 4th of July fireworks, Cosmic Rays for some food, Electrical Parade, Celebrate The Magic then headed for the car. We had one more day at MK after this which was also a red day but since the 4th of July is often feared I thought it might be helpful to see how much can be accomplished (it was very warm and sticky, 95 degrees or so) even on the worst of days! We are soo glad we weren't scared away by the fact it was the last choice for parks that day (we had no choice since we were there to celebrate my children's friends 13th bday).

We went to MK on 4th of July, yes we knew what we were getting into.....The park opened at 8 and being offsite looking at photo times, we arrived at TTC just after 7, were waiting inside the gate at 7:30 and were inside around 7:50. Our order of attack was....Peter Pan, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear, visit with Tinkerbelle, Stitch's Great Escape and Carousel Of Progress before our 12:20 reservation at The Plaza (got there at 12)...after lunch we found a spot to watch the parade near the beginning, Splash Mountain FP, visit with Woody, 7DMT FP, Space Mountain FP, met Buzz, Mickey's Philharmagic, found a spot for 4th of July fireworks, Cosmic Rays for some food, Electrical Parade, Celebrate The Magic then headed for the car. We had one more day at MK after this which was also a red day but since the 4th of July is often feared I thought it might be helpful to see how much can be accomplished (it was very warm and sticky, 95 degrees or so) even on the worst of days! We are soo glad we weren't scared away by the fact it was the last choice for parks that day (we had no choice since we were there to celebrate my children's friends 13th bday).

Thank you this does make feel better.. I am preparing for the worst but thanks for the plan of attack. It does help to see we can do much.. So get FP in afternoon when most crowded is what I am reading.

We had very little, if any wait, for anything before our lunch. By lunch we really needed the break and the cool restaurant (my kids literally ate every crumb of their lunch). After lunch we planned on finding a shady spot at the beginning of the parade so we could make it to our Splash FP (2:30-3:30). We definitely found having the FP after the parade was great because the standby lines were into the hours at that time (as opposed to minutes) and we could walk right on 3 straight rides (with waiting for Woody for a few minutes in between). The only thing I may have tried to change was how many times we criss crossed the park. We ended up walking just over 11 miles that first day of our trip, and while no one complained, by 1am when we were heading back to our car we were definitely feeling it a bit.

Picked up an 8:05 am for Thanksgiving day but wondering now if I should keep a lookout for lunch, with your above comment :-)

As far as a plan of attack:
Make a list of your "really want to dos" and then "would like to dos". Anything on your "really want to do list" should be done at rope drop and/or with a Fastpass if they tend to be rides with long waits / headliners. Then, looking at a map see if there is anything else in the vicinity that is on your "would like to do" list. We put them in order so those at the end of the list we will end up skipping if need be. Create a plan around this. Now, here is the most important piece - when you are actually at the park - stick to the list/order the best you can but be willing to adjust as needed due to weather, tired feet, hungry stomachs, and broken down rides (and sometimes kids or parents!).

We paid for a touring plan our first time but ever sense then this approach seems to work best. The only "time" you need to worry about would be ADRs and FP+ times (but remember the FP+ time is an hour long window so you don't have to be there exactly at a specific time). So use those as a general guide and be flexible in between. Enjoy what you get to do and don't get hung up on what you miss.

Yep, I am not sure where to start on a plan.. We have been once.. I have heard of easywdw but only see the cheat sheet is that what I need to go by?
Yes, the Cheat Sheets at easyWDW are a great resource. Highly recommended for each park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter