Need advice on Williamsburg, VA

emsip

Mouseketeer
Hi everybody. I am looking for some advice. I am exchanging my Vegas timeshares for one in Williamsburg, VA. Below are the places currently availble on Interval's site. Are any of these even close to DVC in terms of amenities and service?

Colonial Crossing of Williamsburg
Greensprings Vacation Resort
King's Creek Plantation
Marriott's Manor Club at Ford Colony
Marriott's Manor Club Sequal
The Colonies at Williamsburg
The Estate's of Kings Creek
The Historic Powhatan Resort
The Towne's at King's Creek
Westgate Historic Williamsburg
Williamsburg Plantation
Wyndham Governor's Green

I am leaning towards the Marriott or the Wyndham only because they are names I recognize. Has anyone stayed at either of these places? Thanks.

Wyndham Governor's Green

these are the highest rated on TUG and should be at least comparable to DVC in quality (although sadly, none are within walking distance of epcot ;)). you're probably better off asking over there. i'm still pretty new to timesharing and haven't stayed in VA yet...

i believe marriott's sequel is newer but not all 2BRs...but i could be mistaken.

We have exchanged into the Williamsburg Plantation several times and it is a very nice resort. The villas are apartment size - large rooms. The only downside was once we got a Limited Kitchen and it was, indeed, limited. Even though there was plenty of space for a full size kitchen, it was a small fridge, microwave, toaster, etc. but no stove. So if that's important to you, read carefully. The last time I was there (2007), the unit was in need of an update of furnishings, etc. but still wasn't terrible.

On the other hand, I am a Marriott owner (in Panama City) and have exchanged into many Marriott's and have never been disappointed. The resorts are always top notch and the villas beautifully decorated. So a Marriott would be a great choice. Hopefully, someone on here has actually stayed at one in Williamsburg and can give first hand experience.

Have a great vacation! We love historical Williamsburg!

I've not stayed at DVC resorts so I can't comment on if they are comparable, but we just got back from a week at King's Creek Plantation and it was very nice. We were in the cottages I believe and had a two story condo with the bedrooms upstairs and a gas fireplace in the living room. Kitchen was very nice with enough room for 6 at the kitchen table. It is right off of route 64 and very easy to get to. It is close to the water park and President's park. They have a very nice indoor pool which is long enough to swim laps.

Have also stayed at Powatan Resort which is also nice and somewhat closer to Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, but farther from route 64.

A friend stayed at Govenor's Green which was also very nice.

If you have time go to the Mariner's Museum in Newport News (about 20 minutes away on route 64). It is an excellent museum well worth the time.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom at Marriott's Manor Club at Ford Colony last summer. I would not hesitate to go back again. It was beautiful. The resort is at the back of a private residential area, right next to the country club golf course. There are three pools - one inside and two outdoors. The kids activities were ok. My kids did some crafts; while they weren't wowed by them, they had fun. They did really enjoy the colonial storytime (complete with a fire and smores). And the bbq by the pool was a lot of fun.

The one drawback: the resort is fairly remote - so a car will be a must. It was about a 15 minute ride to Colonial Williamsburg and a bit farther to Busch Gardens. Not so far that it seemed burdensome.

The room itself was great. Quite large. Nice whirlpool tub. Comfortable beds. Full sized washer and dryer.

We really enjoyed our stay - the kids didn't want to leave.

The Marriott's Manor Club at Ford Colony is very nice; however it is a little bit out of the way. I have family that lives in Ford's Colony, and it just seems to take 15-20 minutes to get any of the local attractions, let alone a convenience store. I never stayed in King's Creek, however I have friends who did and it enjoyed it very much. The location of King's Creek can't be beat either. It is right next door to Water Country USA, 5 minutes from Busch Gardens and no more than 10 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg. Jamestown and Yorktown are about 15 minutes away as well.

Good luck on where you stay, Williamsburg is a very neat place to vacation!

We stayed at Powhatan Plantation a few years ago. Although the rooms were large, most of them were in need of refurbishing, which was underway. If they have been redone, it might be nice. Otherwise, I would avoid this place.

We also stayed at Marriott's Manor Club at Ford Colony last summer. We loved it. Such a nice resort. We never felt like we were too far away from anything. I would stay there again.

For those that have stayed at the Marriott's Manor Club, how is the layout of the resort? Is it set up more like BWV or SSR? Also, are there any activities for kids? My sons are going to be 3 and 6 when we go. Thanks.

We travelled all the way from the UK to stay at the Marriotts Manor at Ford's Colony and had a fantastic time. We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa (me, DH and 2 DD's - then 8 and 4). The accomodation was very comfortable - to answer your question very like SSR. We would definately go back there given a chance:banana:

Our girls aren't really "big" on the kids activity clubs so i can't really comment on them first hand although I do recall that there seemed plenty on offer.

Yes, the resort is about a 15 minute drive from Colonial Williamsburg etc but a car is a necessity to see plenty of the area any way so we really didn't have a problem with this. The girls really loved all of the Colonial Williamsburg stuff and Jamestown and Yorktown were really good trips too - I would definately say go for it and couldn't have enjoyed Ford's Colony anymore.:woohoo:

We have stayed at the Wyndham Governor's Green and Kingsgate (don't see Kingsgate on your list though).

Kingsgate is an older resort, but set up much like a townhouse complex. It is ok. Governor's Green is the newest of the Wyndham resorts (I think they have 3 there). It was nice, but their maintenance of the building exteriors is lacking (mold on the siding) in many places. Also, they have plastic flowers in the window boxes all around the resort. When we were there two years ago the flowers were really faded (tacky).

It's not DVC, but they are better than hotel rooms.

We've stayed at Greensprings in an upstairs 2BR. Loved the masterbath with jetted tub and steam shower -- but outside these the room was 'unremarkable.' On the plus side, the unit was spacious, had a large deck, everything worked .... but it was so dated it felt like staying at your great-great-aunt's home. (I guess I wasn't enjoying the decor?)

Except for one day at Busch Gardens, we spent all day every day at Historic Williamsburg. Bought the annual passes so we could take advantage of all the tours and evening programs. Loved our time there and hope to return ... but will gladly try a different resort.

For those that have stayed at the Marriott's Manor Club, how is the layout of the resort? Is it set up more like BWV or SSR? Also, are there any activities for kids? My sons are going to be 3 and 6 when we go. Thanks.

It's a really small resort next to the golf course (as in across the road from the Club House and at the head of one of the gated entrance road to Ford's Colony). Like taking Grandstand and Springs from SSR and shrinking them together.

The Marriott is by far the best place but it is a little out. Westgate is the other II one I'd consider from what I've seen. It does allow pets for a fee, it is the closest II resort to the historic area by far from what I can see. Only the Bluegreen resort may be a little closer but it's in RCI. I guess it depends on what you want in a resort for that area. Marriott exchangers at MMC get some free golf but I don't think non Marriott exchangers do, unlike say Heritage where all exchangers get the free golf.

We stayed at King's Creek Plantation last summer for a freebie promo night for attending their presentation. The one-bedroom villa paled in comparison to our DVC rooms. Our unit needed refurbishment. The indoor pool was nice and the resort was in a convenient location. The villas they showed us while on the presentation were nicer than the one we stayed in and reminded us a lot of Westgate properties (if you've ever seen them). I told DH I would not want to stay there again....I'm too spoiled by DVC.

We have stayed multiple times at governors green and really enjoyed it. It would be my first choice based on location in relation to colonial williamsburg and other things, plus it is a very new resort with large rooms. Greensprings is not bad either, just a bit older. Powhatan Plantation also nice but older. Any of these three will give you a good experience though.

Drew

Stayed at Mariott's Fords Colony and it was great.....don't miss Pierce's BBQ! Ask for directions.

I stayed at Marriott's Manor Club at Ford Colony 3 times, and enjoyed it a lot. I really don't think it's all that far out, but a car is a necessity. According to mapquest, it's 15 minutes and 7 miles to Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center.

The resort has 2 phases: Manor Club, and Manor Club Sequel.
The original Manor Club has maybe about 6 or 7 buildings or so with about 16 to 18 2-br units in each building. Each building is 3 floors, and is very Colonial looking. The check-in, indoor pool, outdoor pool, marketplace etc. is located here.

Manor Club Sequel is across the street, and consists of 3 larger buildings. I'm not sure how many units, but these buildings have lock-off units, and are more traditional timeshare design (not colonial looking). There is an outdoor pool here.

Hi everybody. I am looking for some advice. I am exchanging my Vegas timeshares for one in Williamsburg, VA. Below are the places currently availble on Interval's site. Are any of these even close to DVC in terms of amenities and service?

Colonial Crossing of Williamsburg
King's Creek Plantation
Marriott's Manor Club Sequal
The Colonies at Williamsburg
The Estate's of Kings Creek
The Historic Powhatan Resort
The Towne's at King's Creek
Westgate Historic Williamsburg
Williamsburg Plantation
Wyndham Governor's Green

We stayed at Marriott's Manor Club at Ford Colony and thought it was really great. We had one bedroom an it had full dining room table, washer/dryer, gas fireplace, screened in porch, jacuzzi in master and full kitchen. Lot's of activities for kids and they are very helpful in making dining reservations, etc. Convenient to both Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. It is on a golf course and has 2 pools, tennis courts, outdoor grills, convenince store and Pizza hut and other take-out..We cooked alot and found some good dining also. We would go back in a heartbeat. All the staff were amazing and vey helpful.

Connears

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter