MyMagic+ Payoff - I Don't Get It

Someday everyone will be using contacts or glasses that will allow them to access the internet, thus eliminating people having their heads buried in their phone.

I keep seeing more and more of these types of posts:

Coworker ran into he same on Goofys Barnstormer. 10 minute standby ended up exceeding 45 minutes. Said there couldn't have been more than 40 people ahead of them when they got in line. Sounds like way too many FP's were issued for the same timeframe

I believe this is an indicator of what is coming with FP+ and it shows how Disney intends to pay for it.

Basically Disney will use FP+ as a way to control crowds and allow the park's capacities to increase. The main idea of FP+ is to spread people out and utilize all the resources inside the parks 100%. You are not operating efficiently if everyone is at Space Mountain while Stitch lays idle. So you need to get people out of the standby line and into the Stitch ride. How do you do that? By making the standby lines so onerous nobody wants to get in them. You make it so only people with FP+ have a chance to ride the rides. Don't have a FP+, Disney will offer you immediate FP+ to Stitch.

If you do this, you can increase the allowable park capacities to rise without having to add personnel or other resources. I think a great example is the Magic Kingdom. I see no reason why their current capacity level of around 80K can't be increased to 160K with the addition of FP+ and the Fantasyland Expansion. Just imagine if they are able to pull in an extra 60,000 people per day that are spending $100 per person (ticket, food, souvenirs, etc). That's an additional $6,000,000 in revenue per day. Now times that by 365 days and you'll see that they'll make back their money really quickly.

Heck, if they stuff 10,000 more people into Hollywood Studios just imagine the extra money they will be racking in.

I believe this is an indicator of what is coming with FP+ and it shows how Disney intends to pay for it.

Basically Disney will use FP+ as a way to control crowds and allow the park's capacities to increase. The main idea of FP+ is to spread people out and utilize all the resources inside the parks 100%. You are not operating efficiently if everyone is at Space Mountain while Stitch lays idle. So you need to get people out of the standby line and into the Stitch ride. How do you do that? By making the standby lines so onerous nobody wants to get in them. You make it so only people with FP+ have a chance to ride the rides. Don't have a FP+, Disney will offer you immediate FP+ to Stitch.

If you do this, you can increase the allowable park capacities to rise without having to add personnel or other resources. I think a great example is the Magic Kingdom. I see no reason why their current capacity level of around 80K can't be increased to 160K with the addition of FP+ and the Fantasyland Expansion. Just imagine if they are able to pull in an extra 60,000 people per day that are spending $100 per person (ticket, food, souvenirs, etc). That's an additional $6,000,000 in revenue per day. Now times that by 365 days and you'll see that they'll make back their money really quickly.

Heck, if they stuff 10,000 more people into Hollywood Studios just imagine the extra money they will be racking in.

That all makes sense and could definitely be part of the missing income. All along we thought they were going to use this to fill resorts, when actually they could have been planning on filling the parks, and adding more to the resorts indirectly.

They can pull this off too, because the advertising campaign is going to be super slick!

Teens and thrill riders will not tolerate this though. So they will have to over come that hurdle.

People who are saying they won't use this, will sing a different tune when they have no choice but to use it. No doubt about it - this will alter your touring habits. For some people this will be just what they wanted. For others - most likely the Disney "old timers" - they will hate this new system.

With this initiative Disney is looking for new visitors. It realizes a major part of its core following is aging and it now looks to get the next generation of theme park visitors. This is a big piece to that.

lugnut33 said:

This is what I was trying to say. You just said it better than me. :-)

doconeill said:
Unless something has radically changed, Goofy's Barnstormer doesn't have Fastpass. So I'm not sure that report could be true.

Isn't there a barnstormer fast pass machine next to Dumbo's fast pass machine?

Isn't there a barnstormer fast pass machine next to Dumbo's fast pass machine?

I stand corrected. I was not aware they had added Fastpass to Barnstormer as part of the FLE. Hadn't heard a single thing about it, actually...

OK, it's Al Lutz, but he said in his blog that this WILL be replacing the fastpass system we all know and it WILL be used to for luring people to stay on-site and to entice people to upgrade their vacations. It's pay for play.

Also, Disney Anaheim learned a lesson the past year with DCA, by adding more people into the parks you can drive huge profits. That's what this all about, getting more people in the parks and getting money from those people. I know it sounds callous for me to say that, but don't ever forget that Disney is in business to make profit.

Plus, you gotta pay for Iger's 40 million dollar salary.

OK, it's Al Lutz, but he said in his blog that this WILL be replacing the fastpass system we all know and it WILL be used to for luring people to stay on-site and to entice people to upgrade their vacations. It's pay for play.

Also, Disney Anaheim learned a lesson the past year with DCA, by adding more people into the parks you can drive huge profits. That's what this all about, getting more people in the parks and getting money from those people. I know it sounds callous for me to say that, but don't ever forget that Disney is in business to make profit.

Plus, you gotta pay for Iger's 40 million dollar salary.

Link? Sounds like the old rumors, and I couldn't find a recent article about it from him.

There are different things here...

Everything indicates FastPass+ will be available to ALL guests - eventually. It will be rolled out gradually, but not in a way that I'd expect would drive resort stays. The rollout might be pretty aggressive, actually, but will start with resort guests. Scuttlebutt says select resorts will start, BWI being the first (although there has been some mention of Beach Club on the boards).

Even MyMagic+ seems to be geared for all guests. Resort guests will automatically get MagicBands, and all the other features, unless they opt out. Non resort guests can purchase MagicBands to use in place of an RFID-enabled ticket. And from the website, it looks like you may be able to tie a credit card to your account, which might allow direct charging via MagicBand similar to resort guests. Bot certain it will work that way though.

For everyone, it is expected that "designer" or "personalized" MagicBands will be available for an upcharge.

I do not agree with this logic completely. DVC is one of their most profitable divisions and they are constantly building new DVC resorts to sell. I cannot see them now alienating all those potential new buyers of DVC, leaving DVC properties unsold for years.

I agree. I was even thinking that they could be using this to encourage more people to join DVC. There seems to be an increasing market for DVC point rental, and Disney does not benefit from this the same way if a renter paid Disney to stay on property. If they tie magic+ and free fastpasses to DVC, ensuring that only the DVC owner can make the arrangements, perhaps they hoping to create a deterrent for owners who rent out points. Also, if it seems easier to just join DVC instead of having to work through a third person to arrange minute trip details, it could make joining DVC more appealing.

I agree. I was even thinking that they could be using this to encourage more people to join DVC. There seems to be an increasing market for DVC point rental, and Disney does not benefit from this the same way if a renter paid Disney to stay on property. If they tie magic+ and free fastpasses to DVC, ensuring that only the DVC owner can make the arrangements, perhaps they hoping to create a deterrent for owners who rent out points. Also, if it seems easier to just join DVC instead of having to work through a third person to arrange minute trip details, it could make joining DVC more appealing.

Over 50% of DVC buyers are first timers and a good percentage of those really don't fully understand what they are buying. They take the sales info to heart and don't read the fine print, why should they, it's Disney. :thumbsup2

Disney won't offer anything extra unless they have to and every resort built has sold out.

:earsboy: Bill

Over 50% of DVC buyers are first timers and a good percentage of those really don't fully understand what they are buying. They take the sales info to heart and don't read the fine print, why should they, it's Disney. :thumbsup2

Disney won't offer anything extra unless they have to and every resort built has sold out.

:earsboy: Bill

I disagree. While I am sure that there are a few naive buyers, I find it difficult to believe that a large percentage of new DVC owners don't fully understand what they're buying. DVC costs thousands of dollars. It is similar to buying a house. I can't see someone shelling out all of that money without responsibly reading the fine print and looking at the contract closely. If that really is the case, then I am afraid society is in even worse off shape than I originally thought. ;)

Everything indicates FastPass+ will be available to ALL guests - eventually. It will be rolled out gradually, but not in a way that I'd expect would drive resort stays. The rollout might be pretty aggressive, actually, but will start with resort guests. Scuttlebutt says select resorts will start, BWI being the first (although there has been some mention of Beach Club on the boards).

Even MyMagic+ seems to be geared for all guests. Resort guests will automatically get MagicBands, and all the other features, unless they opt out. Non resort guests can purchase MagicBands to use in place of an RFID-enabled ticket. And from the website, it looks like you may be able to tie a credit card to your account, which might allow direct charging via MagicBand similar to resort guests. Bot certain it will work that way though.

Right, and the press releases all state that FP+ and MagicBands will be available to both non-resort guests and AP holders. With this being said, I think what they're going to do is have a cost for those staying off-site associated with the program. In turn, more people will hear about this "wonderful system" and want to stay on-site. As far as AP holders, one would hope that they'll make it free of cost to those who live close enough to drive to WDW. Either way, we know that Disney has to somehow make up the money spent on FP+, and I think booking as many guests on-site as possible might be one of the ways to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter