My Year of Disney BEGINS: a little Running, a little Drinking: PTR **1/12-W&D-Day 8**

Disneyland with the Family - Sister, BiL, Nephews Brady(6), Jack (4) and Finn(2)

Sunday 6/21

I was picked up at 8am. Fresh and excited faces awaited me.
1953 (640x360).jpg

1955 (640x360).jpg

We stopped for coffee a couple of hours in and encountered one of the longest lines we'd face the whole trip at Starbucks. For lunch we'd planned on In N Out but the boys pleaded for McDonald's. Compromise #1. So far traffic had been mild and the boys well behaved, kept busy with reading (Brady), games (Jack) or babbling (Finn). Then we hit commuter traffic in LA around 3pm. We were all pretty antsy by that point but the boys kept it together pretty well. Somewhere around 4:30 -and after a few wrong turns on Disneyland Dr - we were checked into Hotel Anabella. My room had nice hardwood flooring and a king bed.

We met up again at 5pm after settling into our rooms and decided to walk to Downtown Disney and get dinner. My sister didn't have any reservations made so we ended up going for the restaurant with the shortest wait that we hadn't been to before. That turned out to be Crossroads at House of Blues. Outside. POSSIBLY shaded. Ok, I'm coming off like a delicate flower here, but I'll admit I'm not a fan of sitting in the hot sun. :flower2: Naturally we were seated at a table in the full sun. (Over the course of dinner the shade did end up covering us as the sun lowered in the sky.) After a few minutes, with the help of some Diet Coke, I regained my appetite and composure from the walk over from the hotel to DtD.

With the heat you'll think my choice of entrée is pretty silly. From AllEars: Lobster Mac & Cheese - poached lobster meat in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with crunchy panko breadcrumbs.
Hey, I started with a cool House Salad. Dinner was pretty unremarkable, but did the job.

Brady wears his Dad's sunglasses
1957 (640x360).jpg

Jack, with some French's product placement
1961 (640x360).jpg

Finn hamming it up
1959 (640x360).jpg

After dinner we did a bit of shopping, hitting the Marvel and Lego stores. At that point the family called it a night and MY night truly began! First I went to World of Disney to look for pins and other gifts for the BFF for taking care of my kitties while I was away. I found a couple of scarves and a cover up for her Disney Cruise later this year. Then I hit Sephora to look for a shower poof. I'd forgotten to buy a new, dry one to take on the trip. Did they have any of such a basic item? Nope. So I bought a bar of soap instead. Fresh, Hesperides, grapefruit scented soap.

Then I was ready for the first milestone of the trip - buying my AP! The lady at the ticket window had never processed a Premier Pass before so it took us a good half hour to complete the transaction. Eve tried her best, but we needed a lot of extra help from the supervisor to walk her through the process. Turns out that I had to buy a Premium Pass before the system would let me upgrade to a Premier Pass. So it was basically twice the paperwork of a normal purchase. Oh well, I got my AP...
001 (640x480).jpg

From that point it was on like Donkey Kong! I got my picture taken at the entrance turnstile and I was off and running. That first visual blast of Main Street gave me the feeling of being home again. The buildings were beautifully lit, the streets lined with people waiting for the first showing of Paint the Night. The smell of popcorn in the air and In the Good Old Summertime playing in the Town Square.

The sun had almost completed its descent. I immediately perked up. I made my way down Main Street and through the Adventureland causeway with one mission in mind: Pirates! It turns out that I hit the timing just right. The first Fantasmic! showing was about to start so most of the walkways were on lockdown. I had to go the back way through New Orleans Square and back towards Adventureland to access the Pirates entrance. I walked in and walked on the ride immediately! Same with Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Indy. All walk-ons because of Fantasmic!

By that point it was nearly 10pm and I'd decided to stick around for the second showing of Paint the Night. But I needed a coffee infusion. Stat! I got a nice iced cappuccino from the Main Street vendor on the left side of the Hub. Now I was ready to wait it out for the parade. I found a good seat on the curb just past the Emporium and near the entrance/exit. Tip: If you see the 2nd show of PtN and want to make a quick getaway, sit in the Town Square area. The parade begins from this end, so you're first out the door as it continues up Main Street. I thought the parade was great. Very impressive floats and technology with enough heart to make it rewatchable. I definitely want to see it again. I didn't take pictures since it's all over YouTube, etc.

With that, my day and night caught up to me and it was time to head back to the hotel for some much needed rest. I have to say, I felt a tad bit uneasy walking the streets at 11:30pm. Hopefully it was just my imagination. I made it back to the hotel, set my alarm for the next day and had a fitful night's sleep.

Coming up... The Derby, a bio hazard, Soft Serve in the sun, and Chicken Sausage!

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun first day! I miss Indy! I wish they had it at the World too.

So I may have just booked Yacht Club for the Princess trip in February. Now to actually register for the race. :earseek:

I'm officially registered for the Princess Half Marathon weekend, Glass Slipper Challenge!!!

Now there's no getting out of it. :sad2:

In other news, it's currently as hot as those round things people throw. :bored:

I'm officially registered for the Princess Half Marathon weekend, Glass Slipper Challenge!!!

Now there's no getting out of it. :sad2:

In other news, it's currently as hot as those round things people throw. :bored:

See you there! My husband & I will both be there running as well!

I finally made my way over here!

The story of you Rebel Challenge registration is scary! I'm glad you got in, but ... that's nuts! (And also why I use Chrome almost exclusively - I've had a lot of issues with IE over the years).

I love the recap of the DL trip so far ... I miss that place (I haven't been since 2012, hoping to go back in August or September 2016)! I really want to see Paint the Night, so I hope they continue it long past the 60th anniversary celebrations.
Also, one of my life's ambitions is to get a Premier Passport. So far no use for it, but ... I want it!!!

Yay for being officially registered for Glass Slipper! I was really hoping to do Princess weekend again, but it looks like I have to skip it this time ... sadface. But I'll be back eventually ... I hope!

I finally made my way over here!

The story of you Rebel Challenge registration is scary! I'm glad you got in, but ... that's nuts! (And also why I use Chrome almost exclusively - I've had a lot of issues with IE over the years).

I love the recap of the DL trip so far ... I miss that place (I haven't been since 2012, hoping to go back in August or September 2016)! I really want to see Paint the Night, so I hope they continue it long past the 60th anniversary celebrations.
Also, one of my life's ambitions is to get a Premier Passport. So far no use for it, but ... I want it!!!

Yay for being officially registered for Glass Slipper! I was really hoping to do Princess weekend again, but it looks like I have to skip it this time ... sadface. But I'll be back eventually ... I hope!

:welcome: Sarah!!!

Thanks for the kind words on my TR so far. I've never done one before so I'm kinda flying by the seat of my patootie. I don't see how Paint the Night goes anywhere anytime soon. It's soooo popular and well done. LOL about the Premier Passport. My feelings exactly. I was feeling like Gollum for awhile there. We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious.

Summer 2016 isn't too far off. DL will be waiting! :tinker:

Monday 6/22 - Part One

The morning started off at 730ish with me heading over to the family's hotel room and waiting for them to finish getting ready. I had one of their bananas as we had no plans for breakfast. They brought one, single seat (well another kid can get stuffed in the back but they rarely used that option) stroller for the trip. The slowest mover, Finn, got to ride while the other two kids held hands on the way to DL. Jack was really into hanging with me for a lot of the time. He wanted to hold my hand most of the time and go on rides with me every chance he got. 'I want to ride with YEWWWW.' :love:

There was a bit of a hold up at the entrance turnstile. They picked the wrong line to get into and then had to wait while all their pictures were taken. I waited for at least 5 minutes for them to get through, but it was a nice break after the walk from the hotel. I'm someone who likes a nice, relaxed touring pace. I like to savor some of the smaller details instead of rushing from ride to ride. Following along with my sister's family was definitely not that. We booked it down Main Street and headed for the left side of the park. Tip: Most people immediately head to Fantasyland and/or Tomorrowland at park open. You can knock out some rides in a hurry if you start on the opposite side from the crowd. Brady's and Jack's number one priority on the trip was Splash Mountain, so that's where we headed first. (On the way we pulled fast passes for Brady, myself and the BiL to ride Indy later that morning in Adventureland.) My sister was really nervous that Splash would be too scary for Jack and he'd back out when he saw the drop in person. Nope. He was still excited to go on after seeing the height of the drop. Right at that point a nice lady going back down the slope told us that the ride was down. Yay, we saved a bit of walking.

After that first strikeout we decided to hit Haunted Mansion since there was no line and it was on the way to Pirates. With one adult per child these types of omnimover rides worked out pretty well for us. DL is notorious for having screamers in the stretching room so I was a bit worried they'd scare the kids. Thankfully it was a quiet group and the only scream was on the soundtrack. I was also a little nervous with the whole moving floor and the jump onto the ride vehicle thing, but Jack and I navigated it just fine. For anyone interested in the return of the Hatbox Ghost - it's great! I was really surprised at how up close and personal it feels. It's really quite close to the ride vehicles. The effect is well-executed but not every ride vehicle gets to see it. On my ride the previous night it went like clockwork. He has a head, then it swoops down into his hatbox. On this ride with Jack his head stayed on too long for us to see it transfer down. Of course I craned my neck to the right to see it happen as we moved along, but then I knew what was coming. Jack seemed to do fine on the ride, but then my sister asked him if he liked it on the walk to Pirates and he said it was 'Creepy. And I don't like CREEPY!'

Pirates was our next stop and it was another walk-on. It was a bit odd seeing the Blue Bayou completely still and lifeless inside the ride. I'm used to it humming with diners and wait staff. Everyone did great on Pirates with the two dips and it seemed to hold the kids' interest really well. Jack leaned over me and pointed at the treasure room before we even got alongside it. 'Look at all the treasure!!' It's such a classic ride and luckily we didn't have any yahoos who talked through the ride or used their phones.

Next up, we made our way back to Indy to use our fast passes. Poor Brady got measured 3 times in the line to make sure he was tall enough. It turns out that he just made the 46 inches. That meant that he was probably going to be out of luck on CA Screamin', which he had been insisting that he was going to ride. After all the measuring we made it into our Jeep and Brady got to be the driver! It was fun to sit up front and have that unobstructed view of the show. You can really imagine that you're on a grand adventure, evading snakes, spiders, blowdarts and a huge boulder.

The morning had been a whirlwind to that point and we kept it going with a walk to Big Thunder Mountain. I rode with Brady on this one because my sister was nervous and wanted to sit with Jack in case he freaked out. In line for BTMR:
002 (640x480).jpg

BiL and Finn rode Casey Junior while we did BTM. While we waited to meet up with them again, guess who we saw walking from Fantasyland along Big Thunder trail? CAPTAIN HOOK! I think the boys were a bit shy or maybe just getting tired because they didn't chase after him like a few people were doing. Jack most definitely did not keep his promise to punch him in the face. My sister asked them why they didn't go confront him for being mean to Peter Pan. Brady said, 'Well, he seemed nice.'

As long as we were in the area, we decided to stop at the petting zoo in the Big Thunder Jamboree and BBQ area.
Finn pets a goat.
003 (640x480).jpg

Brady pets a goat.
004 (640x480).jpg

Jack accidentally stepped on one of the goats' tails. He let out a loud 'YIP' and ran away. We didn't stay in the pen long and as we were washing our hands at the outdoor station we saw Woody! We just caught him starting his shift so the line was quite short. Brady was scared of him and shied away. Jack seemed to have no interest, but Finn was all about meeting him.

High Five?
005 (640x480).jpg

Hug!
006 (640x480).jpg

Mug shot.
007 (640x480).jpg

At that point Brady started asking to go back to the hotel, I think due to the heat, walking and hunger. Honestly, it was still annoying. :bitelip: His animal on the Chinese calendar is the Ox and he lives up to it sometimes. Instead of making a break for the hotel, we decided to eat instead. We decided on Village Haus in Fantasyland and headed up the Big Thunder trail. We still had about a half an hour wait until it opened so we decided to go on Pinocchio and then take a walk through Sleeping Beauty Castle. A lot of people aren't aware that there's attraction inside the castle. It's a nice walk-through series of dioramas that tell the story from the film. We didn't linger long enough to really take it in. I think the kids were too young for that with Brady being the only reader. We still had about 15 minutes to kill before the restaurant opened so we ended up sitting in the outdoor seating at Village Haus and took a load off. As we waited we saw Captain Hook walk by again. Still no takers.

Jack makes a lion face while Brady pouts.
009 (640x480).jpg

I'd never eaten at Village Haus before, but I'd been wanting to try their chicken sausage on a pretzel roll. From AllEars: Chicken Sausage in a Pretzel Roll - A robust 1/4 lb. chicken sausage link topped with sauerkraut. The size of the sausage was large, but it was not robust. (Take that one out of context!) The pretzel roll was dry and couldn't hold up to the sausage. I was disappointed because DL has such great counter service options in general. Oh well, they can't all be winners.

Finished with lunch:
013 (640x480).jpg

With our lunch needs met we attempted Splash Mountain one more time. The sun was almost straight overhead as we walked from Fantasyland back to Critter Country. Our walk wasn't in vain...Splash was back up! This time it was me, Jack, Brady and BiL doing the riding. My sister took Finn over to Pooh, which he loved. Toddlers love that Pooh ride. Jack got measured once at the start of the line and that was it. It was time to get wet! As luck would have it we got the front four seats on the log and BiL put Jack right in the front. Brady sat in front of me and in back of his Dad. We were on our way to the Laughin' Place! Jack got a good soaking and said that he had a good time but it was the last time he'd go on Splash on the trip.

After that busy morning, the decision was made to park hop over to DCA despite leaving so much undone at DL. I think the priority was seeing if Brady could make it on to CA Screamin'. Before we could do anything, we had to ride Little Mermaid for Jack or he was going to have a meltdown. He even started to lose it when we made a slight detour to get fast passes for Soarin'. But soon enough we were kicking it under the sea with Ariel and friends on the cool, omnimover ride. Unfortunately it's not a long ride and we were back on the road to CA Screamin' in the especially hot Paradise Pier area. BiL marched Brady up to the cast member, who then stood Brady up to the height requirement of 48 inches...and was able to pass his hand between the stick and Brady's head. CA Screamin' was a no go. Womp. Womp. So we headed farther into the Pier area and eventually stopped at the Silly Symphony Swings. Jack and BiL were the only takers for this one. Brady was in full pout mode and Finn was too small. I abstained because it was time for an adult beverage!!! Bayside Brews was calling my name. I got the Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA. Not the strongest or best IPA I've ever had, but it hit the spot. After the swings the family decided to ride Mickey's Fun Wheel. I was still working on my brew so I parked it on a bench and waited for them to ride. About 5 minutes later they came back because the ride was stuck. Seriously, there were people stuck in the cars in mid-air. They lucked out that it didn't happen to them. Although I may've had time for another beer had that been the case... :drinking1

The kids were hitting the wall by this point. They needed a pick me up...ice cream! So we headed back to the top of the Pier to Paradise Pier Ice Cream Co. Tip: It's one of the only places in DLR where you can get soft serve ice cream. This is the opposite of WDW where soft serve is your primary choice as opposed to regular ice cream. I didn't get anything. Both because I'm not a soft serve fan and because I'd already had my adult ice cream.

Finn's red cheeks
015 (640x480).jpg

Jack's glazed-over look
016 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:
Brady licks away
018 (640x480).jpg

Once the ice cream mess had been somewhat cleaned up it was time for our Soarin' fast pass time. I love that the Grizzly Peak theming has been extended to the Soarin' area. It really does evoke a 1950's national park feeling. So once again it was Jack, Brady, me and BiL. The boys were struggling by this point. Brady and his attitude and Jack trying to wander off. When we were in the holding area with the Puddy video, Jack decided that he wanted to join another family and went and got in their line. Turns out he 'was looking for a place to sit down.' Even after that, they both thoroughly enjoyed Soarin'. Brady told his mom afterward that 'they really flew!'

Meanwhile, my sister and Finn were meeting Pluto
20150622_152054 (1) (384x640).jpg

At this point it was about 4pm and the kids were completely done. Brady finally got his wish to go back to the hotel. My night was just beginning...

I give you huge props for managing to spend that much of the day in the company of three intermittently cranky little boys :worship:. I am also absurdly disappointed there was no attempted Captain Hook face punching :rolleyes1.

I'm very impressed that you made it through most of the day with the not-always-cheery little guys ... but it sounds like everyone had a little fun. (Even Captain Hook, since he didn't get punched). At least now you've got some along time to do the fun stuff!!
Plus, you got your adult beverage ... so that makes everything worth it!

I give you huge props for managing to spend that much of the day in the company of three intermittently cranky little boys :worship:. I am also absurdly disappointed there was no attempted Captain Hook face punching :rolleyes1.

Hee. Thanks! I really don't know how my sister does it. She's a great mom. I was just along for the ride and she has them every dang day.

Captain Hook escaped his fate that day. The lucky marauder! pirate:

I'm very impressed that you made it through most of the day with the not-always-cheery little guys ... but it sounds like everyone had a little fun. (Even Captain Hook, since he didn't get punched). At least now you've got some along time to do the fun stuff!!
Plus, you got your adult beverage ... so that makes everything worth it!

Yeah, we all did have fun overall. Hopefully I'm not dwelling on the annoying parts too much. Thanks for reading! I know it was a lot. ::yes::

Monday 6/22 - Part Two

I suddenly found myself alone outside of Soarin'. No family in sight. It was ME time! :dancer:I'd been wanting to check out the Humphrey's gift shop (previously the Fly 'N Buy when it was Condor Flats). I was looking for a tee shirt with the new Grizzly Peak badge logo on it. None to be found because I don't think they've produced any yet. Get on it Disney! Nothing else piqued my interest so I wandered into the crowd. Carthay Circle stared down at me from Buena Vista Street. It didn't need to twist my arm - that's where I was headed. My fingers were crossed that there would be a seat open in the lounge area. Sure enough, immediately to my right upon walking in, there was a nice table with two stuffed chairs just waiting for me. The Lounge has some good classic-inspired cocktails on its menu that I can appreciate, even if I'm more of a fruity mixed drink type of girl at heart. So I went with The Derby: Bulleit Bourbon, fresh grapefruit juice and honey, served up.

019 (640x480).jpg

By the time I was halfway through my drink I realized that I was getting hungry and decided to stay put and have dinner at Carthay as well. I put my name in and a few minutes later I was being called upstairs to the dining room. Yes, it's true that I had reservations here for the very next night for the World of Color dinner. But whateva whateva. So next I had the best single food item of the whole trip! From AllEars: Carthay Signature Fried Biscuits - stuffed with white cheddar, bacon, and jalapeno, served with apricot honey butter. These are made of yum.
020 (640x480).jpg

Next up, I went with the Grilled Angus New York, with California Mission-style Black Bean Chili and Mango-Toybox Tomato Relish. I found the steak tough and the beans didn't add much. Meh on the rating scale. I was recommended a nice beer to go along with it: Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale.
021 (640x480).jpg

For dessert I went with the Warm Lemon Pound Cake, with Marinated Blackberries and Buttermilk Ice Cream. I'm powerless when I see lemon paired with berries, what can I say? It was a nice dessert, but nothing earth shattering.
023 (640x480).jpg

I really went whole hog and got an after-dinner drink. Vacay all the way! The B-52: Grand Marnier, Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream, and hot Coffee topped with fresh
House-made Whipped Cream. Not too strong given all the alcohol that's listed in the description.
022 (640x480).jpg

Overall, it was a very enjoyable dinner with one miss, which was the entrée. I also picked up a couple of boxes of truffles to give away as souvenirs. (Only one box made it into someone else's hands. Oops. :rolleyes1) After dinner I decided to head over to DL to #1, ride the Matterhorn, and #2, use the Fantasmic! fast pass that I'd pulled earlier in the day. I walked up to the Matterhorn to access the single rider line, was handed a ticket and just as quickly had it snatched back from my hand. The ride was down with no estimated time for it to come back up. Undeterred, I found a bench within viewing distance of the queue area and decided to wait until it was back up. I wanted to see the new Yeti! Tick and tock. I waited for 45 minutes. Still no movement. Womp womp. So I gave up and headed for Fantasmic!

First I grabbed another iced cappuccino from the Hub. I think all that alcohol, plus the early morning call time, was making me a bit sleepy. This was the first time I'd seen Fantasmic! since they implemented the fast pass system. I had pulled a FP for the Yellow section, which ended up being outside of the Golden Horseshoe, on the right side of the Rivers of America. Unfortunately, it was also a standing-only section. Boo. I don't have a problem with the standing itself during the show. It's the being short part that becomes an issue. Someone invariably blocks my view. My section sat and waited until a few minutes before the show. The heat of the day still lingered. Then it was 9pm and Mickey on stage! And yes, my view was blocked. Some kids were sitting on the rocks lining the fence in the front row. About ten minutes into the show I heard and then saw a commotion. Someone was being led out of the viewing area and left behind was a wet-looking rock. Shortly thereafter, a janitorial cast member was called over and we all had to make a path for him to access the area and do his business. I feel bad for the kid (I presume) who had the issue, but it was a tad distracting. I'm most assuredly getting the Blue Bayou dining package next time - they give you foam cushions to sit on!

After the show I stayed put so I could watch the Disneyland Forever fireworks. The projections were shown on water backdrops on the river. They always put on a great display. It still doesn't surpass Remember...Dreams Come True for me. I do want to see it again though, from either Main Street or the It's a Small World mall area. With that, it was time for the walk down Main Street with the rest of the herd and then back to the hotel for another restless sleep.

Coming Up...Snakes, White Tablecloths, a new Yeti and The WALL!

BREAKING NEWS ALERT!!!

I'm headed back to Disneyland - this weekend! The BFF and hubby are driving and down and asked me to tag along. I'll be staying Friday and Saturday night and coming back on Sunday afternoon. It's a quickie alright. I am slightly nervous about leaving my cats alone for 2 days. They'll have provisions but not supervision. :) :cat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter