• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Year of Disney BEGINS: a little Running, a little Drinking: PTR **1/12-W&D-Day 8**

Like he's not totally capable of doing that when I'm home :P

Oh no. :rotfl2: Luckily my two don't do have that type of attitude. :cat: Elektra can be bratty, but she's never gone that far!

So my Moo-nlight (nice cow shirt btw) 10K was on Saturday night. The heat really got to me and I didn't do as well as I would have liked. I'm definitely hoping for better weather for the Wine and Dine in November!

I have returned! Actually, I got back on Sunday night but I still haven't recovered fully! It was a whirlwind...drove down on Friday, parks all day Saturday and drove back on Sunday. Back to work Monday. :( We had a great time and did everything on our list, plus some. TR coming...once I finish my June trip report, lol. :teeth:

NEWS!

First, for my Wine and Dine trip, I've booked one of the 3 exclusive events for Chase Disney Visa cardholders for me and the BFF two days after the race. Details from Disney Food Blog:

The Creation of Food and Wine Marketplaces
On November 9th from 8 – 9:30 am, guests will start the day with breakfast (including a sparkling wine toast) on the World Showcase Promenade while meeting with a Festival Chef, Beverage Professional, and Disney Imagineer who will provide a behind-the-scenes look into the creation of each Festival Marketplace Booth and its menu.

The menu will include Beef Tenderloin and Yukon Gold Hash topped with eggs and Hollandaise paired with maple-cured pork belly and onion jam. The morning will end with a New England Lobster Roll and a taste from the Hops & Barley Festival Booth, among other inclusions.

I'm so excited to have booked a special event!

Next up, Star Wars Half weekend...I finally received my Rebel Challenge training shirt! Not exactly sure of what you'd call the color. :confused:

008 (640x480).jpg

And finally, today was AP registration day for Tinkerbell weekend in May at DL! I registered for the Pixie Dust Challenge. :tink:I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have any legs left when June rolls around again.

Oh, ADRs are coming up quick for Princess weekend in February. 23 more days! princess:

That F&W special event sounds awesome! I think the behind-the-scenes look at F&W will be cool, and the food sounds great too!

That yellow-orange-ish Rebel Challenge shirt looks great - the color's a little unusual, but I really like the design!

Congrats on registering for PDC! Maybe I'll see you there ...

New news...booking opened today for Disneyland 2016. I booked a couple of days at DL Hotel for Star Wars Half weekend in January and a couple of days at PPH for Tink Half weekend in May.

Other news...I'm putting off weighing myself this week. I don't want to see a bad number so I'm in avoidance-mode.

Tuesday 6/23

Tuesday morning I had a reservation at Steakhouse 55 for breakfast at 7am. I was so excited to get my pancakes on that I arrived before the hostess was even at her podium. I was the first customer of the day, in fact. I love how it's not really a popular spot so it never seems overcrowded in the morning. It's such a relaxing place to start the day.

Pancakes with Warm Berries

025 (640x480).jpg

Next I went to meet my sister+fam at DL. They had their Magic Morning hour from 7-8. I got there before rope drop and got to take a pic of the blinged-out castle while I waited.

026 (640x480).jpg

I waited and looked for them around Fantasyland while waiting for a return text. No return text. So I rested in front of the Carrousel for a bit, then went over to the Matterhorn to see if I could sneak on. And it was closed yet again. Grrr says the Yeti. I just decided to park it until I got further word. Turns out they had all gone to Space Mountain and Brady had a great time on his first ride. After we finally met up my sister and I went to Star Tours to get fast passes for later while BiL took all three boys on the Carrousel. Next we hit Big Thunder again and Splash Mountain. By the time we rode those, our Star Tours FP time had arrived, so we trekked back to Tomorrowland. Brady, Jack, me and BiL rode that one. Jack wasn't so sure about it. :scared:
It was already a hot day and Finn needed a break.

027 (640x480).jpg

Lucky us, we had just enough time to squeeze in "it's a small world" before lunch. The kids loved it of course. I was glad for a cool boat ride. By the end of the happiest cruise that ever sailed it was nearly time for our noon reservation at Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. I'd never eaten there before but I thought it would be a place that the kids would enjoy. Ehh. They didn't really eat a whole lot until dessert rolled around. We ordered one of the cookie skillets with vanilla ice cream. We chose the S'Mores option. I didn't get a picture before it was pretty much demolished. The kids did like the entertainment. They got to go onstage and dance when the musicians called all the kids up. I was never brave enough to do that kind of thing as a kid. It was nice to see them try it out.

At that point, the kids were hot and cranky so they decided to go back to the hotel, and I was once again FREE! At the top of my list - check on the Matterhorn. Yay, it was back up! I know it gets a bad rap for being really uncomfortable, but I still enjoy it. Yes, it's really bumpy, but I don't think I ride it enough to cause permanent damage. The new Yeti was fun! He really reaches out for you now. And it seems like he's close too. I rode single rider on the Fantasyland side. Not sure if the Tomorrowland side is much different or not.

Ok, so if you haven't gleaned this already: I am a wimp in the heat. I'd already walked to and fro and there and back enough for one day. So I decided to make my next destination somewhere cool and tropical. From the Matterhorn I headed to Tomorrowland for at least the third time that day and practically ran (okay, not really) up the ramp to the Monorail. After a short wait, I was hurtling toward Downtown Disney and my ultimate destination...Trader Sam's! I worked my way around the Tangaroa Terrace and found the door. The burst of cold air as I opened the door was immediately refreshing. I found a seat at the 'kids table' at the end of the bar near the restrooms. Kelly the bartender got me a menu and after a bit, I decided to try the Passionate Python. It is made of yum. And rum. From Disney: Dark and Aged Rums, Red Passion Fruit and Tropical Juices garnished with an Orange Peel "Python". I had two for quality assurance.

028 (640x480).jpg

My stomach needed something to sop up the alcohol, stat. I went with the Kalua-style Pork Flatbread: Pulled Pork, Barbecue Sauce, Red Onion, Cilantro and Mozzarella Cheese. This was easily the second-best food item of the trip, after those amazing Carthay Signature Fried Biscuits. Sorry, no pic of the flatbread. My bad. Too soon, it was time to leave. I had a World of Color dinner reservation coming up later so I figured I should make my way to DCA. My memory gets a bit hazy here, but I think this is where I stopped at Marceline's in DtD. Because I know I ended up with a bag of candy somehow. I got a 60th Anniversary marshmallow wand and some cookies and cream fudge, my favorite.

I didn't have much time until my dinner reservation, so I decided to wait it out at the Carthay Circle Lounge. I did have enough time for a drink, and I went with the Pimm's Punch: Pimm's No.1 Liqueur, Plymouth Gin, Strawberry, and Lemonade served over Crushed Ice. Not my favorite by a longshot, but then I'm not a big gin fan.

029 (640x480).jpg

For my appetizer I chose the Spanish Roasted Tomato (soup) Accented with Chorizo: Coriander Marinated Chicken, Zucchini, Red Onions and Vermicelli Pasta. It was totally unmemorable, honestly. My entrée was the Moroccan Lamb Meatballs: Crispy Polenta, Sheep’s Milk Ricotta Cheese, and Zucchini Blossom Essence. These were well-presented and nicely spiced. I would have really enjoyed them if only I hadn't just hit the wall. Hard. My eyes were literally closing at the table. Combo of the heat, drinking, staying up late the previous nights, all the walking...I was just done for.

030 (640x480).jpg

It was a struggle (not kidding), but I made it through dessert: Tahitian Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée Tart, served with fresh California Blueberries and Blueberry Sauce.
The tart's vanilla flavoring was quite nice, but it didn't have that nice crispy topping that you associate with a brulee. Then again, I was about passed out at that point. :faint:

031 (640x480).jpg

I got my World of Color fast pass, paid the bill and headed for the exits. There was no way I'd be able to make it until 9pm for the show, so it was back to the hotel for me.
Another day done

Next up: Bubble Guns, Trains and Wildfires, Oh My!

Interrupting my DL TR because I feel like talking about my Princess solo trip. :laughing: ADRs are coming up on Friday 8/21 at 3AM PST, lucky me! So I thought I'd go ahead and break down the itinerary.

• Wed 2/17, Arrive at MCO too late to do anything but grab dinner somewhere fast as it will be 7PM my time, 10PM EST. I'll pickup the rental car and check in at Yacht Club.
  • Thurs 2/18, I expect I'll be hangry the next morning so I'm hoping to snag an early ADR at 'Ohana. If I get the 7:30AM ADR it will be like 4:30AM to me, but that's ok. I'm used to getting up at 4AM to run most days. After 'Ohana I'll hit the Expo at WWoS. I'd like to hit The BOATHOUSE for lunch around 1PMish, then do some light shopping and relaxing around Disney Springs. I'm thinking of seeing La Nouba at 6PM. For dinner I think it would be a good night to try Yachtsman Steakhouse after the show.
  • Fri 2/19, Hoping I can get 1900 Park Fare at 8AM at the Grand, then hit the spa for some treatments and be out by 1:30PMish to have lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe. After that I'd love to hit MK for a few hours, maybe ride the railroad and other non-taxing attractions on the feet. Maybe dinner at the Plaza Restaurant and then Wishes at 8PM.
  • Sat 2/20, Enchanted 10K early early, then Raglan Road brunch around 11AMish. Then back to the hotel to rest up for awhile until dinner. I've already got a 6PM reservation thru OpenTable at Bull & Bear.
  • Sun 2/21, Early early again for the Princess Half! After that I'll make it easy for myself and go to Captain's Grille in the hotel for lunch. I hear it's good. Then begins the Monorail Crawl and celebration portion of the program! I want to start at Tambu Lounge and get a Lapu Lapu! Then I've got to see the east coast version of Trader Sam's. At Contemporary I can check out Outer Rim or the Wave Lounge and then finish up at Mizner's at GF. Along the way I hope to be able to catch portions of the race - it's Daytona 500 day as well. I want to have dinner at Narcoossee's around 6PMish and hopefully, see Wishes at 9PM.
  • Mon 2/22, AK day, starting with breakfast at the Captain's Grille, hopefully early if my legs are still under me. Tusker House for lunch around 11AM and Yak & Yeti for dinner right before they close at 5PM(!). This would be a nice time to make it an early night back at the hotel.
  • Tues 2/23, DHS day. I might try the Wave over at the Contemporary for breakfast, or maybe just stay at the hotel and do Captain's Grille again if I'm feeling lazy. At DHS I want to do the Fantasmic! lunch at Mama Melrose's and Sci-Fi Dine-In for dinner.
  • Wed 2/24, Epcot day, hoping to start it with the Princesses at Akershus. We'll see if I can get that ADR, lol. Then Via Napoli for lunch and Chefs de France for dinner.
  • Thurs 2/25, MK day. Going for another hard to score ADR with pre-park open CRT. Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch and then make my way to the Grand for dinner at Citricos. Hoping to catch Wishes one more time at 8PM.
  • Fri 2/26, Back to Epcot after having breakfast at Cape May Cafe. I'm thinking Rose & Crown for lunch and then going over to the Dolphin to have my goodbye dinner at bluezoo.
  • Sat 2/27, I'm checking out early early and on my return flight home at 8AM.
We'll see how much my plans change based on ADR availability!

Sounds like you continued to have fun at DL, despite the heat ... and I also enjoy Matterhorn Bobsleds, so I get where you're coming from. Although I don't know how you could possibly skip World of Color...

In terms of Princess... I love that you're doing spa stuff before the races. I think that's a great way to relax and not overdo yourself. ADRs look great, and I think you shouldn't have too much ttrouble getting Akershus or CRT ... they're both late enough in your trip that most people won't be able to book them yet. And they are the perfect princess ADRs, so I'm glad to hear you're going for both!

Sounds like you continued to have fun at DL, despite the heat ... and I also enjoy Matterhorn Bobsleds, so I get where you're coming from. Although I don't know how you could possibly skip World of Color...

Me and World of Color don't have a great relationship anyway. I have a haaaard time standing for that length of time at the end of a long park day when my feet are ready to give up any second. There's no way I could've stayed awake until 9 and then made it through the show that night. :faint:

In terms of Princess... I love that you're doing spa stuff before the races. I think that's a great way to relax and not overdo yourself. ADRs look great, and I think you shouldn't have too much ttrouble getting Akershus or CRT ... they're both late enough in your trip that most people won't be able to book them yet. And they are the perfect princess ADRs, so I'm glad to hear you're going for both!

Yeah I really enjoyed my spa day at the GCH before Tink 2014. Carrying on the tradition here! As far as Akershus and CRT, I'm agreeing with you that the dates are far enough out that there should be availability for the times that I want. Although there's no real constraint of an Expo or races where I'm feeling like I have to fit in a meal at a specific time, so that should make it less stressful come ADR day. I think the hardest to get will be 'Ohana and 1900 Park Fare since they're so early in my stay. I may end up switching The Wave and 'Ohana breakfast days since I hear The Wave is easy to get into.

AP discounts for my Wine and Dine dates opened up today...finally. Nothing is looking appealing so far. I'm hoping they add more rooms to the deal eventually. I'd love to stay at Saratoga Springs since it's so close to Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter