My Ticket Bridging / Upgrade Experience

bht963

Earning My Ears
I just returned from 6-nights at WDW and wanted to share my experience in upgrading/bridging my ticket to an AP. I know there has been a lot of talk lately about some cast members not being too familiar with the procedure and/or stating that bridging can't be done. I purchased a 6-night vacation package with a MYW base ticket and knew I wanted to upgrade it so I began on the first day of my trip. Here's how it worked out for me....

Day 1: Animal Kingdom - I arrived at AK guest relations and asked the CM how much it would be to upgrade my ticket to an AP. She scanned the ticket then looked at my like I had horns coming out of my head. She asked me 'what kind of ticket is this?' I immediately knew this was going to go nowhere fast so I told her it was a 6-day base ticket. She then hit a few keys and asked me how much I had paid for it. I explained to her that it came as part of a package. She asked me who I bought the package from and I told her WDW. She hit a few more keys then went to the back with my ticket. About 10 minutes later she came back and informed me that guest relations can't upgrade a ticket to an annual pass that is purchased as part of a vacation package and that I had to do it back at the hotel. I know this isn't correct but before I could say anything a supervisor came out to talk to me. He asked me what I was trying to do and I told him I just wanted to upgrade my ticket to an AP. He said while they could do it, they can't do it on the first day of a package. They had to give the system a day to lock in the reservation or else if they did upgrade the ticket the system could screw up the entire reservation. Frustrated (but friendly), I thanked him for his help and left.

Day 2: Epcot - I arrived at Epcot guest relations and told the young lady behind the counter what I wanted to do and she was extremely helpful. She swiped the ticket, entered some information and said it would be about $100 more than I was planning on. I asked her if she had bridged the ticket to current gate price and she informed me that this type of ticket can't be bridged. I asked her if she was sure because I've had a ticket bridged in the past and she assured me that it could not happen. With a growing line of people behind me I decided to take my ticket and leave while intending on trying again later.

Later that day I returned to Epcot guest relations and tried the same thing with a new cast member to get the same result. Upon swiping the ticket I was told it could not be bridged and it would cost me over $400 to upgrade (when I was planning on paying $330). I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that he was unavailable as he was on a phone call. I took my ticket and left with the intention of trying again tomorrow.

Day 3: Hollywood Studios - I went into guest relations and told the CM my intentions. She swiped my ticket and quoted me the $400+ price. I asked her if the ticket had been bridged and she asked me "what do you mean by bridged?" I explained that the ticket should be brought up to the normal gate price since I purchased it before the current price hike. She looked at me like I was crazy and said she'd have to ask someone else since she had never heard of that before. Another CM came over to assist and I was once again quoted $400+. I asked the new CM if the ticket had been bridged and then it happened.....her eyes widened, I heard angels sing, the hallelujah chorus began playing and she said 'Oh yeah, I think I can do that. Give me just a minute.' pixiedust::woohoo:

After 15-minutes I walked out of Hollywood Studios guest relations with a shiny new AP for the price of $330 and some change.

I knew it would be a process trying to upgrade with the stories recently but I always kept my cool, was super friendly and cut the CM's some slack. The moral of my story is if at first you don't succeed, try try again.

Oh wow, bless your patience! On the 3rd day of my trip, I upgraded an 8 day hopper to an AP in mid-May at the international gateway guest relations at Epcot. It took probably 5 minutes, inclusive of me filling out the form. She pulled out a calculator and bridged it before I had to even ask. I was pretty impressed!

However, myself and my cousin arrived for this trip a day earlier than my family and based on the ticket sticky, I went to MK guest relations to pick the tickets up early for us. Some calls were made to the resort and he was having trouble so I gave him the detailed instructions ("you got this from a cast member didnt you??") but 20 min later he was still having trouble doing it because of a hiccup in their computer. We were very patient and finally he just said because we were so patient, he was just going to give us complimentary tickets. We made sure to leave a guest comment on our way out of the park that night :thumbsup2

I will add my recent experience too-

I've bridged UT tickets to APs the last three years and never had any problems.

We went through the gate at MK and headed straight over to Guest Relations to upgrade 3 of our tickets and change my son's AP to an RFID ticket. I told the CM I wanted to bridge the price of the tickets. She went through the process and quoted me a price of $300 more than I had calculated. I told her that was not what I anticipated to pay. I told her I had purchased the tickets before the price increase and in the past I was able to get credit for today's ticket price when I was upgrading. She asked several CMs who were in the vicinity and no one seemed to know what to do. Finally she went to the back for a few minutes and came back and said she had to hit the "upgrade" button. After that, her price was exactly what I had expected to pay.

Glad I had listened to Robo's advice about figuring out exactly how much the upgrade should be.:thumbsup2

I bought tickets from Undercover Tourist last year. Then I calculated how much it should cost to upgrade to an AP using the current gate value of my ticket. Finally, I printing out Cheshire Figment's info on price bridging a ticket.

When we arrived at MK we went through the turnstiles and heading right for Guest Relations. I told the CM I wanted to upgrade to AP's and handed her my tickets. She quoted me the exact price I calculated. No fuss, no muss.

So there are CM's out there that know what they are doing. You just got to be lucky and get the right ones.

We have always had the best luck at upgrading at Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney! We have not had a good experience twice at Animal Kingdom. Congrats for your patience!!!! :)

We have always had the best luck at upgrading at Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney! We have not had a good experience twice at Animal Kingdom. Congrats for your patience!!!! :)
Good opportunity to repeat Robo's mantra, that the individual CM is what will make the difference, moreso than the location.

I'll add my experience that I've done upgrades two or three times at AK without a hitch. (On the other had, if our friend Stargazertechie were to share her experiences again from a couple years ago, that would trump my AK successes and then some.) So at any location you may get CMs who are better or less well informed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter