My reservation was cancelled! :(

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by standingtall, Nov 6, 2012.

1. waynesgirl

waynesgirl Maleficent is my hero!

I am curious- a lot of people say this but I ALWAYS have to pay my room-only reservation in full by 45 days out or they will cancel it. Is this because of a discount code we get?

I like to pre-pay and do all that anyway, but I'm curious to know...

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. sndral

sndral DIS Veteran

I'm very happy to hear things have been fixed and that you have the 2 rooms at aoa you wanted. Does DME have your flight info so that you're good to go when you arrive @ the airport?

4. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

If you're being asked to pay in full 45 days out, that is most likely a package, not a room-only reservation.

I do think that some time ago if you booked online with certain discounts, they did give a confirmation that said you had to pay in full at 45 days...was it a certain type of discount? This did not apply for bookings by phone, only online.

5. Maggie'sMom

Maggie'sMom DIS Veteran

If you have had to pay 45 days out, then you had a package. I've used discount codes on room-only reservations and paid the balance at check in with no issues. But like you, I prefer to pre-pay, especially for our longer trips. We had a room-only reservation in May and I paid the last bit of it off right around the 10 day mark.

6. ccgirl

ccgirl DIS Veteran

Glad it was resolved but, it sounds like from your post you were well aware of when it needed to be paid by. Not sure what the email would have done. :confused3

7. rcchello

rcchello DIS Veteran

Internet mail is not a confirmed service. If it bounces for some unknown reason, neither party may be aware. If you were expecting a confirmation, you should have followed up. There are many reasons it could have happened, including the Cm did not enter the reservation correctly to incorrect email address to your email server was down due to a power outage.
    Only in a few of those cases would Disney have some moral responsibility, but probably not a legal one. When making reservations it is always a good idea to make sure you get a confirmation. It is the only thing that will save your vacation, when you get up time the desk and they say there isn't a reservation in the system.

Most systems do not keep the record of the call, in most states they can't unless they prewarn you the call may be recorded. Thus with mist reservation systems there is no fallback except your confirmation.

8. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

"I wasn't aware that if I didn't pay it by 10pm "

That's the EXACT part the OP was talking about, that you quoted. If you think 7 days, you don't think 7 days by x o'clock.

9. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I would actually think 7 days by close of business on that day. Ten PM seems late.

10. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

Right?! They give until 10p EST because that's when the phones close - that's nearly the end of the actual day!

What other company doesn't go by close of the business day, and a day is actually 11:59p for payments and such? :confused3

11. dsneprincess

dsneprincess DIS Veteran

I have used codes and AP discounts, always pay room only reservation at check-in. I pay a 1 night deposit at booking.

12. sharadoc

sharadoc Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving

If you add tickets, it's a package even if you don't add dining. If you don't want to pay 45 days in advance then you shouldn't add anything to your reservation and you'll be fine.

13. Leajess99

Leajess99 DIS Veteran

Every room only reservation we have h only requires us to pay a depost and pay the rest upon arrival. We use the special military rates on the rooms.

OP - I am so glad it has worked out for you.

14. cori1124

cori1124 Cori

If the other 1/2 of your party is not your immediate family having to absolutely-positively travel with you, then I would suggest that they make a reservation at PC right across the bridge. As a matter of fact, AOA was at one time suppose to be part of PC way back when...so even though your rooms aren't side-by-side, your resorts are as close as two can be.

15. baby1disney

baby1disney DIS Veteran

OP-sounds like you ended up getting what you wanted which is awesome!!:cool1: But there's a few people on this thread that I have seen around the boards that always have something negative to say and think that they are holier than thou...so you just have to learn to ignore them. I can see that you're new, being that you only have 3 posts, and like you stated...not EVERYONE knows how and what to look for when booking vacations.

And, if anyone else notice, the OP stated that she was involved with Hurricane Sandy and didn't have any power for a few days...so with that being said...I totally understand why she didn't check it like she should have or why she may have thought that she had until she got home from work. If a company like Disney wants their guests to have something paid in by a certain date or so many days, then it needs to say something along these line:"If you are booking/reserving a hotel room within xxx days, you have seven business days to pay it. If you call on Monday, Jan 12, 20--, you have until Monday, Jan 10, 20-- by 10pm to confirm it or pay for it. If not, your reservation will be cancelled." (I know that's a lot of wording, but I think my point is made;)) Now if the OP was told this and didn't do what she was suppose to, then by all means this situation is her fault....but I guess we won't know until she tells us what the supervisor has said...:confused3

16. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

The OP said that the CM told them they had 7 days to pay it, so even without the email they new that they had a to pay by that 7 day marker.

If OP thought they had until they got home from work, they were right! Because it's until 10p on that 7th business day (again, just 2 hours shy of a literal 24 hour day).

Just like anyone else, if Disney shoots out an email and no one calls to say they didn't get it, it would be assumed that it was received.

I think more of the immediately 'your fault' comments were because the OP had blamed Disney's lack of customer service, which wasn't the case.

17. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

Yes, some people are a bit uptight here on the planning end. .:lmao:

Glad you were able to book another room!

The OP said she doesn't travel much. The CM said they'd send an email and she never got one. Disney should be held to the same standard as every other hotel chain. If they say they're going to send an email, they need to follow through.

18. waynesgirl

waynesgirl Maleficent is my hero!

It is always by phone- that is the only way we can make it.

Nope, room-only.

I am 100% positive it is room-only. I don't buy tickets or anything because I have APs already. But it is mandatory- and has been on every trip I have taken since 2001 (this is our 21st)- that I have to pay in full or I get an email letting me know. I do understand the packages are different but I have only once gotten a package deal because our room-only discount is substantially better.

Again, I don't care because I generally pay it off before the 45 day mark anyway, but this trip in November slipped through the cracks and we got a "reminder" email in October that it was past due and immediate payment was expected (not those words but the general consensus) or the reservation was subject to be changed or cancelled.

Thank you for the responses, and yes, I understand the difference in the package and room-only, but it seems to me that somewhere along the line I'm not getting the same deal....again, don't really care because I try to pay things off (it's one less thing to worry about) but maybe I should inquire when I get to the hotel this time around. However, I don't want to make a fuss but several of our friends use this discount as well and I don't want to mislead them by giving out erroneous information.

OH, and I am sorry for hijacking the thread- I am glad that everything worked out for the OP.

19. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

Who says they didn't? I"ve sent an email to people before and they haven't received it and visa versa. It's email. It happens. That's why they also advise people verbally, give them their due dates, give them their reservation numbers, etc. No one can guarantee an email will be received for any number of reasons. Heck, I've sent myself an email before with a recipe or reminder and it hasn't shown up, or takes so long to get there it ends up having been worthless to send. How would Disney, you, me, or anyone else know that an email was NOT received if no one calls?

20. Bribrittmom

Bribrittmom DIS Veteran DVC Gold

I've never had to pay in full before arrival for a room only plan, only deposit of one night.

21. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 Us either, and we wait until check in to be billed, then wait for our credit card to bill us, THEN, we pay in full - gives us a couple months extra. :)