My position on Professional Internships

mickeyfan85

Mouseketeer
For awhile now, there has been a certain fuss about how people aren't getting professional internships they wanted. I know it is frustrating to get the rejection letter, but does that mean you were wrongfully denied employment...or that they actually found a better candidate?

I mean, everyone knows going into the PI application that it is a VERY competitive position to get. And there is no guaranteed formula to getting one.

Many of the rants are based on speculation. Speculation that someone with far less qualifications got the job. While I do understand it may seem that way, no one knows an applicants full background, experience, and other attributes unless you are in the hiring team. So unless you are a hiring manager, you can't make assumptions about others in the position.

That goes to say that I believe a lot of what Disney is looking for is potential. That might explain why someone well qualified was passed over for someone with not as many qualifications. You can teach a person protocol and how to perform job related duties...but there are some attributes that are near impossible to teach...like not being cocky, being polite, and having leadership qualities to name a few.

I applied for a PI and didn't get it, but instead of wallowing in self pity, I'm going to do the college program and network like crazy to get a professional internship. Whining won't get you anywhere, so make a plan and set goals if there's a position you really want. If it doesn't work out the first time, well get back up and try again.

Just my 2 cents :)

For awhile now, there has been a certain fuss about how people aren't getting professional internships they wanted. I know it is frustrating to get the rejection letter, but does that mean you were wrongfully denied employment...or that they actually found a better candidate?

I mean, everyone knows going into the PI application that it is a VERY competitive position to get. And there is no guaranteed formula to getting one.

Many of the rants are based on speculation. Speculation that someone with far less qualifications got the job. While I do understand it may seem that way, no one knows an applicants full background, experience, and other attributes unless you are in the hiring team. So unless you are a hiring manager, you can't make assumptions about others in the position.

That goes to say that I believe a lot of what Disney is looking for is potential. That might explain why someone well qualified was passed over for someone with not as many qualifications. You can teach a person protocol and how to perform job related duties...but there are some attributes that are near impossible to teach...like not being cocky, being polite, and having leadership qualities to name a few.

I applied for a PI and didn't get it, but instead of wallowing in self pity, I'm going to do the college program and network like crazy to get a professional internship. Whining won't get you anywhere, so make a plan and set goals if there's a position you really want. If it doesn't work out the first time, well get back up and try again.

Just my 2 cents :)

Amen! Good luck on your CP... I hope you have a great experience! :)

Mickeyfan,

Good luck on your CP and I hope you get PI next time!!
:yay:

Thanks! I planned on doing the CP first, but had applied to do a PI just to get a feel how the process worked and for the small chance that I get accepted to the PI before the CP. I would highly recommend that to anyone interested in applying for a CP b/c you know what to expect the next time you interview.

I'm actually doing the CP in hospitality! I def. want to take the advanced hospitality course to learn all I can about Disney's hospitality role and also get trained on working the front desk and maybe even concierge if it's available.

I arrive May 19 and can't tell you how excited I am! :) Now if I can only finish these finals...

Thanks! I planned on doing the CP first, but had applied to do a PI just to get a feel how the process worked and for the small chance that I get accepted to the PI before the CP. I would highly recommend that to anyone interested in applying for a CP b/c you know what to expect the next time you interview.

I'm actually doing the CP in hospitality! I def. want to take the advanced hospitality course to learn all I can about Disney's hospitality role and also get trained on working the front desk and maybe even concierge if it's available.

I arrive May 19 and can't tell you how excited I am! :) Now if I can only finish these finals...

Mickeyfan,

I did get your message but I could not sent one back because the number of posts I made are less than 10. If you would like, you can PM me with your e-mail address then I will e-mail you.

back when i was a cp, that was the only way to get a pi. unfortunately, the pi i desired only had about 10 spots open a year, and literally hundreds and hundreds of applicants. so when i was a cp, i networked like crazy, and still didn't make it=( but if you keep your connections up, like i have, you have an easier time of getting hired to a pernament position, instead of going through the pi route.

I hate saying its who you know but its so true I guess.
I am graduating with my masters in a couple weeks and have been trying to get a PI in ANYTHING for the last two and a half years. AND NOTHING. I am sorry but I think I am quite qualified for these jobs. It irritates me, but I applied for the last time just a week ago. I will have my masters by then and seven years experience with outstanding production and customer service experience. I am sorry, but I have a very hard time thinking that someone is more qualified than me. I have worked on Broadway.
Not to sound mean, but its all I want, and I hate thinking that no matter how much experience you have or how hard you have worked in grad school, disney only wants people they know. Oh well, sorry for the rant, but its disheartening, and I am sure some of you understand. Thats why I have done all I did. Its why I went on to get my masters- for the sole purpose of working at Disney one day. It will happen....just not the way I thought it would.

:guilty:

I am graduating with my masters in a couple weeks and have been trying to get a PI in ANYTHING for the last two and a half years. AND NOTHING. I am sorry but I think I am quite qualified for these jobs. It irritates me, but I applied for the last time just a week ago. I will have my masters by then and seven years experience with outstanding production and customer service experience. I am sorry, but I have a very hard time thinking that someone is more qualified than me. I have worked on Broadway.

and humble too.

I hate saying its who you know but its so true I guess.
Not to sound mean, but its all I want, and I hate thinking that no matter how much experience you have or how hard you have worked in grad school, disney only wants people they know. Oh well, sorry for the rant, but its disheartening, and I am sure some of you understand. Thats why I have done all I did. Its why I went on to get my masters- for the sole purpose of working at Disney one day. It will happen....just not the way I thought it would.

:guilty:

Mary, I actually agree with you. My recruiter says that it's not about who YOU know. It's about who knows you. And that's true for the business world in general, to be honest. Really, anyone can get education, experience or credentials but you need someone there to vouch for your personality. I agree with CelebrationNM that it’s likely you are over qualified for the positions you are applying for. At the end of the day they want people who are going to use them as a learning experience, not purely to get a foot in the door to a higher position. I think that's where a number of people have been going wrong. This is just my opinion based on what I've seen of the recruitment process.
The recruiters think to themselves what does someone with 3 years of front desk management experience expect to gain from an internship? Are they coming in this with an open mind to learn or are they expecting to prove their greatness?
I really wish you the best with your career! With your experience you could probably easily get a full time position you just need that one "break"! Good luck!

Here's a quote I pulled from Lee Cockerell's "Disney Great Leader Strategies," which is under the 11th strategy, Demonstrate a commitment and passion for your Role.

"The biggest thing is to have a positive attitude. Some people are just wired to be positive, and some people have to work at it. When people ask me how I got to this position, I tell them that I am just as surprised as they are. In fact, if you went back and talked with my high-school teachers, they would be very surprised that Lee became the Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World® Operations. They would probably think that someone stole Lee's identity, which is a common crime these days. The fact of the matter is I believe that the main reason I have this position is because of my positive attitude."

Also, here are some other quotes I found interesting from the strategy, Make Sure You Have the Right People in the Right Roles!

"Select by talent and not by résumé."

I think you definitely have a leg up if you know someone. They can vouch for your talent. You can't fault Disney for being partial to people they know.

"We, as Leaders, are not in the business of filling jobs. Our role is to select the very best people in the world and develop them for even greater responsibility."

Getting experience and education might work for other jobs, but I think you need to shine to get a position at Disney. What extraordinary steps have you taken to develop yourself? Is education and previous experience the only things you are offering? What can you offer in terms of being a strong leader?

So to rap this post up (b/c it's getting kinda long! :D), I think that most all of you can get a PI and/or career at Disney. It might not happen the first, second, or even third time, but realize that it's very competitive. Know yourself, be knowledgable about the field you are applying to, contacts DO help, and don't just meet the required/desired expectations, blow them out of the water! Oh, and above all else STAY POSITIVE!

That will get you a career at Disney :) And if not, well try again!

Here's a quote I pulled from Lee Cockerell's "Disney Great Leader Strategies," which is under the 11th strategy, Demonstrate a commitment and passion for your Role.

"The biggest thing is to have a positive attitude. Some people are just wired to be positive, and some people have to work at it. When people ask me how I got to this position, I tell them that I am just as surprised as they are. In fact, if you went back and talked with my high-school teachers, they would be very surprised that Lee became the Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World® Operations. They would probably think that someone stole Lee's identity, which is a common crime these days. The fact of the matter is I believe that the main reason I have this position is because of my positive attitude."

Also, here are some other quotes I found interesting from the strategy, Make Sure You Have the Right People in the Right Roles!

I think you definitely have a leg up if you know someone. They can vouch for your talent. You can't fault Disney for being partial to people they know.

"We, as Leaders, are not in the business of filling jobs. Our role is to select the very best people in the world and develop them for even greater responsibility."

Getting experience and education might work for other jobs, but I think you need to shine to get a position at Disney. What extraordinary steps have you taken to develop yourself? Is education and previous experience the only things you are offering? What can you offer in terms of being a strong leader?

So to rap this post up (b/c it's getting kinda long! :D), I think that most all of you can get a PI and/or career at Disney. It might not happen the first, second, or even third time, but realize that it's very competitive. Know yourself, be knowledgable about the field you are applying to, contacts DO help, and don't just meet the required/desired expectations, blow them out of the water! Oh, and above all else STAY POSITIVE!

Thank you for this! Excellent and LOTS of food for thought. I'll definitely be re-visiting this post to reinvigorate my passion!

Walt Disney faced many failures and rejection during his career. But he believed in himself and never gave up. So never give up but try again!

Anybody interested in leadership should also check out Lee Cockerell's blog at: http://www.leecockerell.com/blogand subscribe to get great leadership tips sent to your email inbox a few times each week. Lee is now retired but was previously the Executive Vice President of Operations at WDW Resort.

Also, be sure to pre-order a copy of Lee's new book "Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies From a Life at Disney". I think anybody interested in leadership and Disney will find it to be a valuable resource.

Book Recommendation by Ken Blanchard

"In Creating Magic, Lee Cockerell delivers his ideas about leadership in a common sense way that can really reach people and help them improve their effectiveness at work, at home, and in their communities. His valuable leadership strategies and remarkable Disney stories will ring true for everyone who reads this book."

- Ken Blanchard, co-author of The One Minute Manager® and Leading at a Higher Level​

Let me break your post down for you mickeyfan.

I am the one that started a few of those threads, and there wasnt a fuss about people not getting the internship they wanted, it was mearly trying to gauge why they didnt get it. To even put they they "actually could have found a better candidate", means you didnt read any of those threads at all and are mearly talking out of your rear. Its true, you cant judge people based off a resume, but you sure cant judge people when you never contact them either. How is someone a better candidate for a position that desires resort experience, college program particiapation and a hospitality background, when they have none of those????

The only one doing the "speculating" as you call it here is yourself. I have worked here, I am still here, and have been for 2 years. You have yet to step foot on this property in a working role. I have personally met or come across every PI that has worked in rooms and related in the last 2 years. The vast majority of these PI people have had no CP experience and no job experience, this is no speculation, this is fact.

No issue there. However, when you post desired and required qualifications for a job, and then not follow them, it causes people to get frustrated. There are a ton of CPs here at my work location right now that are more than qualified for the PI, yet never even got a call for an interview...while there are 4 PIs coming down for their PI in rooms and related that have no work experience and no prior CP experience... All things being equal, they should not even be considered for the position. People are pissed because they have given anywhere from 1-3 CPs for this company and cant even get a courtesy call, while a person with nothing more than being a server at the local Cracker Barrel gets the PI. Its bull****, plain and simple.

Zero speculation. Once again, Ive been here for almost 2 years and worked in 6 resorts, you however have not worked one day at this company so you can take your "speculations" crap and toss it right out the window. How can you possibly judge people that have had zero work experience? Everyone down here is in college, so thats the only common ground to judge off of. There was a PI that got the job simply because Disney was recruiting at a National Minority Hospitality Conference. Speculation would be that she got the job simply because she was black and Disney caters to minorities. I am not in the business of speculating though, so I dont bring it up. Speculation would also be because someone is gay they have a huge advantage in the hiring process, even though its not a group protected by the Civil Rights Act of 1964.... Even though it happens far too often than not, I do not bring this up because it too...would be speculation.

Job experience versus no job experience is not speculation, it is fact

CP participation vs no CP participation is not speculation, it is fact

Hospitality background vs no Hospitality background is not speculation, it is fact

These are all qualities Disney says they want, yet dont even talk to the people that are more than qualified, yet they go out and get scrubs from the street to fill these positions that meet none of their posted criteria. This is not speculation, this is fact.

That goes to say that I believe a lot of what Disney is looking for is potential. That might explain why someone well qualified was passed over for someone with not as many qualifications. You can teach a person protocol and how to perform job related duties...but there are some attributes that are near impossible to teach...like not being cocky, being polite, and having leadership qualities to name a few. [/QUOTE]

I have yet to meet a CP person doing hospitality that is cocky, not polite, or couldnt develop into being a leader if given the proper chance. You see what you want to see on these boards because some people dont agree with your vision. Ive seen people post their qualifications for jobs and people troll behind them with stupid comments saying they are bragging or something, yet all they are doing is posting their qualities. Dont be too fast to judge how you "think" people are. From the tone of my posts, you probably wouldnt expect someone like me to be on the cover of the Disney Hub, numerous newspaper articles, the Communicater, the Eyes and Ears, and featured on the Disney Channel and the College Program TV network....

Anybody interested in leadership should also check out Lee Cockerell's blog at: http://www.leecockerell.com/blogand subscribe to get great leadership tips sent to your email inbox a few times each week. Lee is now retired but was previously the Executive Vice President of Operations at WDW Resort.

Also, be sure to pre-order a copy of Lee's new book "Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies From a Life at Disney". I think anybody interested in leadership and Disney will find it to be a valuable resource.

Book Recommendation by Ken Blanchard

"In Creating Magic, Lee Cockerell delivers his ideas about leadership in a common sense way that can really reach people and help them improve their effectiveness at work, at home, and in their communities. His valuable leadership strategies and remarkable Disney stories will ring true for everyone who reads this book."

- Ken Blanchard, co-author of The One Minute Manager® and Leading at a Higher Level​

I will definitely do this!!! I am keeping positive! :) I truly appreciate your thoughts !:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter