My PC, GF, VWL, BCV, VWL, and SSR vacation…

Twinglemum,

Too funny!

When I first started communicating with Janet2k, I secretly wondered to myself what her connection with Disney was. I had read about all of the wonderful things she has done at Disney and all of the wonderful things she has shared with some of the DISers.

I was so nervous because I thought DH and I wouldn't fit in at the dinner party. We're fairly simple people and I don't remember the last time we did anything fancy..

One second after meeting Janet and her family, I knew we would get along splendidly! She and her family are so easy going. You can tell that they have good hearts. I really am still in awe every day that we were able to be a part of such a special evening. It really is something we cherish and my children have memories of that evening that will last a lifetime. Could someone pass the Kleenex? :sad:

Janet2k sure knows how to entertain!

LIFERBABE,

WOW. I think you can tell just by Janet2k posts that her and her family are wonderful souls who live life to the fullest and touch everyone they meet with a little magic.

Since I’ve returned from vacation, things have been pretty hectic for me. So hectic, in fact, that I have two trains of thought running through my mind.

One train of thought revolves around a few lyrics from Neil Young’s song, “My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue),” in particular the following:

My my, hey hey,
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out, than to fade away
My my, hey hey

I am definitely on the path to burning out. And that leads me to my second train of thought – what happens if I do? A little late-night research produced the following:

Supernova: One of the most energetic explosive events known is a supernova. These occur at the end of a star's lifetime, when its nuclear fuel is exhausted and it is no longer supported by the release of nuclear energy. If the star is particularly massive, then its core will collapse and in so doing will release a huge amount of energy. This will cause a blast wave that ejects the star's envelope into interstellar space. The result of the collapse may be, in some cases, a rapidly rotating neutron star that can be observed many years later as a radio pulsar.

Boy, let’s hope that doesn’t happen. If it does, I fear I may be giving Disney’s Wishes™ Nighttime Spectacular a run for its money.

Floridafam asked me if she could bring her camera to the party. I told her that Disney had actually chuckled (good-naturedly) at me during a phone conversation when I had asked if my guests could take photographs at the event. I mentioned to them my concerns regarding the legal disclaimers in the contract, in particular, what is stated below:

PHOTOGRAPHY/ VIDEO: Any organization desiring to photograph, film or otherwise record its meeting or event (instead of hiring Disney Event Productions to do so) must obtain our prior written consent and enter into a license agreement with us (in form and substance satisfactory to us). The determination of whether any organization will be permitted to photograph, film or otherwise record its meeting or event will be made by us in our sole discretion on a case-by-case basis.

We ask that organizations desiring to photograph, film or otherwise record their meetings or events notify us at least two (2) weeks in advance so that we can determine whether the organization will be permitted to do so, and we will have sufficient time to prepare the necessary license agreement and make the necessary other arrangements. This is particularly important for organizations desiring to photograph, film or otherwise record our performers (e.g., musicians, singers, dancers, actors, masters of ceremonies, narrators, announcers, disc jockeys, stunt performers, etc.), since we may need to give advance notice to those performers before they are photographed, filmed or recorded and we may need to make additional payments to them. Accordingly, organizations may be required to pay us additional fees if our performers are photographed, filmed or otherwise recorded. In any event, organizations may not photograph, film or otherwise record our performers without obtaining our specific written approval to do so.

I think you folks can understand my concerns regarding the photography and video issue. No one wants to break any rules/agreements/contracts, especially not me.

After I voiced my concerns, that is when Disney told me the following: “As long as the photographs are for personal use and not for commercial use, your guests may certainly take photographs.” I passed that information along to Floridafam. I no longer needed to be concerned that the two of us were going to be sent “up the river” for photographing the Summerhouse dinner event.

It was right around this time that the notion first popped into my head to hire a professional photographer. I picked up the phone and contacted the Disney Event Productions’ photography folks. I was transferred to the same Cast Member who I had worked with last Fall regarding my Haunted Mansion Movie Set Dinner event.

Once again, the Disney Event Productions Cast Member was easy to work with. We discussed my photography options, and then he told me that once I had made my decision regarding photography, I should let my Convention Services Cast Member know and he would add it to my Banquet and Events Order. I was pleased to hear that.

I had used Disney’s “Candid Photography” package last Fall and was considering using it again. Since you folks have been very kind and haven’t pressed me for any pricing information (thank you), I think it’s safe to share the photography pricing with you. This information is available on the Internet, and I’m sure Bonzie1 and Floridafam are already aware of it.

I have posted a copy of the Disney Event Productions' price brochure (click here) in my on-line album. Basically, the “Candid Photography” package includes a “roaming” photographer who takes candid photographs throughout the event. There is a 2-hour minimum for the photographer’s services, and the cost is $95 per hour. Since my event was going to last 3 hours, I wanted a photographer for all 3 hours.

With the photography package, there is an option to have prints created on-site. I should warn you that this option can be quite pricey. I was at a convention event at the Beach Club Resort a few years ago where photos were printed right there on the beach during that event. I actually had my photograph taken with Mickey and Minnie Mouse (they were in attendance at the party), and then I received my print about 15 minutes later. It was very impressive.

My dinner party’s photography needs were minimal compared to that convention event. I only needed the ability to order photographs at some point in the future (for example, after I had returned home from vacation). For someone like me, Disney has a wonderful service that goes along with their photography packages. At no additional charge, all the images from my event would be placed on a secure website for my guests to view and purchase. Any prints that were ordered would be shipped directly to the person who ordered them. As you can see, Disney makes everything very easy.

I sent e-mail messages to both Floridafam and Bonzie1 alerting them to the fact that I was considering hiring a Disney photographer. I thought they should know that the possibility existed for a professional photographer to be at the event who would capture the many special moments of our evening together. As Kodak says, “Share Moments. Share Life.” I wholeheartedly agree.

This morning I found your earlier trip report quite accidentally and read the whole thing beginning to end. Was only sad because I couldn't get the links to your photos :( for your wonderful special events dinner. As I read the last post I thought......"so what is Janet up to now?" Did a search.....and here you are! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: Now it's back to page one to start a new adventure!

I'm loving this!

TwingleMum has got me thinking about the life I wish I had led: one of intrigue and suspense. Yes, I had always wanted to be James Bond. His life has been fascinating – jetting all over the world in order to keep it safe from the Bad Guys & Gals.

A quick search of the Internet led me to the official James Bond website. I found all sorts of wonderful things on that website, including movie trailers. Also on the Internet, I found the James Bond theme song. I don’t know about you, but there’s something about music that really sets a mood. I’m listening to the theme song, and, heck, even viewing a few movie trailers, as I’m composing this post. It sure beats listening to the sound of my fingers tapping on the keyboard (even if it is rather distracting). I just love James. What a man, ~sigh.~

Those Bond movies certainly had an influence on the career that I chose – one in the high-tech industry. I remember sitting entranced in the movie theater anytime “Q” – the man with the lethal gadgets – was on screen showing James the latest in technology. I owe my high-tech career choice to those wonderful gadgets that were showcased in the Bond movies (and also to my Mom who convinced me to get a technical degree since I was good with math and science).

I should probably mention that the company I work for does not directly make any snazzy, electronic gadgets; however, without companies like mine, those gadgets would not be in existence today. So, indirectly, James Bond owes a debt of gratitude to me. And so I shall call myself Jane Bond for the duration of this short post. Thanks, TwingleMum, for the lovely idea. It fits in nicely with my current topic.

Now, on with the show...

In the last week, a series of e-mails went back and forth between myself, Floridafam, and Bonzie1. I needed to make sure I knew exactly which resorts they were staying in (Disney needed to deliver Top Secret gift baskets to them). I also needed to make sure they arrived at the dinner party by 6:30 PM (Disney needed to deliver the Top Secret guest of honor at that time). Both ladies gave me the answers that I wanted (needed) to hear, with Floridafam assuring me that her family would be at the Wilderness Lodge.

Bonzie1 posed the real challenge. She had a reservation at one of the Disney resorts; however, she was also waitlisted for any of the DVC resorts (there are five of them).

From Bonzie1’s e-mail:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We will be checking into POFQ on the 23rd (if our plane arrives on time) around noon. I am hoping our room will be ready so we can bring our luggage in before 3:00 (for obvious reasons... ha!). The reservation is in my husband’s name. We will be moving over to PORS on the 25th. I called DVC Member Services and told them our reservation numbers and where we’d be so they could keep us up to date with our agendas for the DVC Homecoming.

With the knowledge that Bonzie1’s family was still planning on checking into Port Orleans – French Quarter on the day of the Summerhouse party, I sent the following communication to my partner in crime, ~er,~ I mean my Grand Floridian Convention Services Cast Member:

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning on the telephone. You really put my mind at ease regarding the party. I am thrilled beyond words about everything that you shared with me. I know the party will be absolutely magical.

I just double-checked with my dinner guests and they want me to stick with the timing of the dinner party as it currently stands, that is, 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM. I haven’t dared mentioned a word regarding Mickey Mouse stopping by the party. I want that to be a surprise because I know the look upon my guests’ faces will be priceless when they first see him. Do you think we should keep Mickey’s arrival time at 6:30 PM, or should we move him back by 15 minutes? I don’t want to mess up the timing of the party and thus am asking for your expert opinion regarding this. From what I gather from my guests, Floridafam and her children should be able to arrive at the party by 6:30 PM, it’s just her husband who may be late due to the half-marathon. Since Mickey Mouse is really for the children, if we keep his arrival at 6:30 PM, I think that would be fine. But like I said, if you think moving him back by 15 minutes won’t effect the flow of the party too much, then I will let you make the judgment call regarding Mickey’s arrival time.

You asked me for names and check-in dates for my guests. The “Floridafam” family will be checking into the Wilderness Lodge on Friday, May 21st. Mr. Floridafam is the one who is participating in the Florida Half Ironman Triathlon at Walt Disney World.

My other guests are named the “Bonzie1” family. They are checking into the Port Orleans – French Quarter Resort on Sunday, May 23rd. I believe they might be waitlisted for any of the Disney Vacation Club resorts (they are DVC members), so their resort might change. I promise to keep tabs on them, however, so if their resort does change, I will alert you as quickly as possible.

I would love it if Floridafam's family's gift basket could be delivered to them either upon their check-in on May 21st or sometime during the next day (the day before the dinner party). Either of those two dates would be fine with me. As to Bonzie1's family, their gift basket would have to be waiting for them upon check-in since they are checking in on May 23rd (the day of the party). I believe they are taking an early morning flight and should be arriving in Walt Disney World in the late morning.

I think that covers it for me. I telephoned Disney Photography this morning and spoke with them. I inquired about the candid photography package for my dinner party. I told them that I want to see my BEO first before I decide whether or not I want to hire Disney for my photography needs. They said that was fine with them and told me that once I make my decision, to alert you and you will set things up and add it to my BEO. I just thought I would give you a heads-up. I’m pretty sure I’ll go with the photography package – I used them for my Disney Studios event last Fall and it worked out beautifully. I will keep you posted.

With my sleuthing information safely in the hands of “M” (okay, his name is not “M” but that sounds way more spy-ish than “Convention Services Cast Member,” doesn’t it?), I was satisfied that all would go as planned. Our watches had been synchronized.

I soon received a Top Secret communication in my e-mailbox. Since I know [wink wink] that you folks reading this post have Top Secret clearance too, I can share it with you: click here for Top Secret communication from “M.” And if you put on your secret-decoder rings, you can translate what’s contained in that message. What? You don’t have your decoder rings handy? That’s okay. I will translate the communication for you:

Join Us!

A Disney Picnic At The
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Is Being Held In Your Honor

Sunday, May 23rd, 2004
6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
The Summerhouse & Small Beach
At The Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

See Ya Real Soon!​

I don’t know about you, but “M” did a wonderful job with disguising that Top Secret communication to look [wink wink] exactly like a dinner invitation. And I must say, that dinner invitation looked darling. No one would suspect a thing.

His communication also contained pricing information for the delivery method of those dinner invitations (a.k.a., ”picnic baskets”). Everything looked good and I gave the okay to have those items added to my BEO.

Another communication came from “M:”

We can make sure the baskets get to each of your guests. Just let us know if Bonzie1’s family moves resorts. We can help track that too.

As for Mickey .... I think having him there at 6:30 pm will work out just fine.

We are working on the BEOs and that will probably help with the photography decision.

More to come. Thanks.

Ah, I love spy-talk: “We can help track that too.” Yes, I had no fears that “M” and my fellow double-oh operatives would keep tabs on my guests. I certainly didn’t want anyone foiling my “mission” (a.k.a., dinner party).

My next communication to “M” was as follows:

Thanks. Then we will stick with the 6:30 PM start time for the party and also the arrival time for our “surprise” guest. Perfect!

Also, the invitation for the party looks wonderful. I know my guests will love it (and what a lovely surprise, too, might I add).

I look forward to receiving the BEO.

My next communication came from Bonzie1:

I am getting so excited about the trip... but now things are moving too quickly with everything to do at work, I'm finding little time to get ready for what really maters! (smile) We changed our FL Tours when we added on a night, and they made the update right away. At least I have that much done!

I am always fiddling with things up to the last minute. Unless our wait list comes through with SSR, I think we'll stay put.

That was music to my spy-trained eyes: "Unless our wait list comes through with SSR, I think we’ll stay put.” Yes, nothing was going to foil my mission. The Top Secret picnic baskets would be delivered to both Bonzie1 and Floridafam. The Top Secret dinner guest would arrive at the party. All would go exactly as planned, and no one would be the wiser. I could tell that it was going to be one helluva dinner party.

Jane Bond is signing out now... Over...

Janet your trip report along with Delswifes is the best I have ever read!! Your attention to detail is astounding !! I have enjoyed reading your trip report sooo much and look forward to further installments.

Oh no! That can't be all you've written so far, how dare you wonderfully talented writers have lives to attend to?! I've stayed up until midnight to finish reading this and I have to say it makes better reading than even my Bill Bryson book! I can't wait to read more. You really are the type of person that the world needs more of.

I was revising supernovas today for my fast approaching Physics exam so that made me smile too!

Jane Bond - You are too funny. Awesome invitation. Watched the special on the food network about Disney Fantasy Weddings. Your Fall Vow Renewals are going to be incredible.

Since I finally felt somewhat confident that the Summerhouse dinner party’s starting time was going to work out for all my guests, I decided to continue on with my vacation planning.

I sent the following e-mail to Bonzie1:

Like you, I am so swamped at work that I have no personal life. I try to squeeze in vacation planning whenever I can, but even that is hard. I really don’t have much planned for vacation except for an awful lot of resort hopping (the Bell Services & taxi cab bills are going to eat me alive – that’s the only bad thing about resort hopping).

I’m expecting my BEO from the GF by the end of today. I can’t wait to see it. It should contain a timeline of the dinner party, along with everything else that goes along with a private event.

I’m going to a funeral service late this morning. A friend’s son was killed while on duty in Iraq, and today is his service and burial. It should be an emotional day.

Yes, into each life, a little rain must fall.

My friend’s son had been killed in Iraq where he was serving our country. He was in his early twenties and only recently married. His death was especially poignant because his tour of duty was supposed to have ended a few weeks prior to the tragedy. But our Government extended his tour of duty, and a few weeks later, the good Lord called him home to Heaven.

I was amazed by how deeply my friend’s son’s death touched me. I had never personally known anyone who had died while serving their country. I found his death both tragic and noble. And watching my friend mourn his son’s death underneath the glare of the media spotlight was especially moving. Everywhere I turned, I saw mention of his son’s death. I heard my friend describe his son in a loving manner on the radio one night as I drove home from work (I cried like a baby, especially when my friend mentioned that he was looking forward to getting to know his son as the wonderful adult that he had just recently become). Then once I got home, I turned on the local news channel only to see my friend answering the reporters’ questions about his son. And when I watched Ted Koppel’s “Nightline,” I saw my friend’s son’s face shown on my television, along with hundreds of other service men and women who had also lost their lives while working to bring peace to Iraq. I did a lot of crying throughout those weeks, certainly not anywhere near as much crying as my friend and his family did.

On one hand, I had sad news regarding one friend's son; and on the other hand, I had happy news regarding another friend's son. Floridafam shared with me the following:

My son’s test results turned out okay! The Doctor just called. We are so relieved. My husband and I are both crying tears of joy. I can't even explain how happy we are. We're going to Disney World and we're going to celebrate this wonderful news. I just had to share. Thank you for your prayers. I know they worked.

I was ecstatic for Floridafam and sent her the following e-mail:

CONGRATS! And I needed some good news today.

I just returned from the funeral service for my friend’s son who was killed in Iraq. It was such a beautiful service, but I am so emotionally drained that I needed some good news and you just gave it to me.

YAHOO!!!!!! WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD, WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD…

It was nice having something to celebrate that day – Floridafam’s wonderful news. She had no idea how much I needed something to feel happy about.

When I received my Banquet and Events Order (BEO) from my Convention Services Cast Member later on that day, I sent the following response to him (I had mentioned my friend’s son’s death in a prior e-mail):

Thank you for the prayers. It was a very emotional and moving service today. My friend’s son was in his early twenties and his bride was a year or two younger (they were married a few months ago). About two weeks before he was killed, he saved the lives of two other soldiers and they were at his funeral today. Between seeing my friend in such pain, seeing his son’s widow, and the soldiers whose lives his son had saved, it was a little overwhelming. And then when you consider the fact that the son’s tour of duty was to end earlier this month but his stay was recently extended, you’re hit with the hard reality that he would have been alive today had his tour of duty been completed as scheduled (he was killed approximately two weeks later).

I cannot comprehend the pain that my friend’s family is in. It’s tough enough watching it as a friend. A bunch of us banded together and have some memorial gifts planned to honor our friend’s son’s life. We’re probably going to present the memorial gifts in about a week or two, after our friend has had time to grieve away from the media spotlight. It’s the least that we can do as friends and fellow countrymen.

Sorry to mention all this. It’s one thing to see it on TV, it’s another thing to see it in real life. When I saw the coffin with the US flag draped over it today, reality hit hard.

I haven’t had a chance yet to open the attachment that you sent. I will open it next and print it out and take it home with me this evening. I look forward to receiving the rest of the information when you get a chance to send it on Wednesday (or whenever). I know the dinner party will be wonderful. I have no doubts about that whatsoever.

Life always has a way of making you realize what is most important – family and friends. Without those two components, there is nothing. I know that I don’t have anything of value except for the love and support of my family and friends. I am very fortunate to be able to say that. But I think it was said best in the movie, “The Wizard of Oz”:

[Wizard speaking to Tin Man]

”Therefore, in consideration of your kindness, I take pleasure at this time in presenting you with a small token of our esteem and affection. And remember, my sentimental friend....that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.“

Judging by the many wonderful things that were said about my friend’s son during his funeral service that day, he was loved by everyone. I will never forget the noble sacrifice that he made for our country. And I will never forget the noble sacrifices that all the other service personnel, both military and civilian, both American and non-American, have made in the name of freedom: Forces: U.S. & Coalition/Casualties (click here).

Reality check. In the middle of your lovely fairy tale, a moving account of tragedy, love and loyalty. You are so right that we have to keep things in perspective. Thank you for that little look inside of you that tells me (and all of us enjoying your trip report) you must be a truly beautiful person.

Originally posted by Dizz42
Reality check. In the middle of your lovely fairy tale, a moving account of tragedy, love and loyalty. You are so right that we have to keep things in perspective. Thank you for that little look inside of you that tells me (and all of us enjoying your trip report) you must be a truly beautiful person.

I second this post. Thank you for reminding us what means most in life and for putting it so eloquently.

Life... so precious... so strong and yet... so fragile... a gift to be cherished. Thanks for the reminder of what's important.
:grouphug:

I've reached the end of the posts so far. :(

I can't stand it---- I need to hear MORE! :D

I'm hooked. This is great-- I stayed up til 1:45am reading this thread.

Let’s branch out into phrases, shall we? From freesearch.com, I give you the following expression:

“Have ants in your pants” -- OLD-FASHIONED HUMOROUS:
To not be able to keep still because you are very excited or worried about something.

Let’s take it one step further and branch out into games, shall we? From Hasbro.com, I give you the following description:

Ants in the Pants:
Press down on the ants, make them jump into the pants!
Classic preschool game. A favorite for more than 30 years!
2-4 players

I think you folks probably know by now that sometimes I have the proverbial “ants in the pants” syndrome. I think it’s hereditary and that I acquired that specific gene from my Dad. My Dad doesn’t like to stay put in any one place for too long while he’s on vacation. He always has to keep moving. He thinks nothing of driving for 18 hours straight, only to arrive at a location and spend 24 hours, and then get back into the car and head home again. I was impressed that during last Fall’s vacation, he and my Mom actually joined my family in Walt Disney World for almost a week. I took that as the ultimate sacrifice on my Dad’s part, God love him.

And there I was, with ants in my pants only a week or so before my vacation began. What was I going to do? Should I stick with the Pop Century for a two-night stay, followed by a two-night stay at the Grand Floridian? Or should I spend all four nights in one resort?

My family had never stayed in a Value Resort before, and we were really looking forward to staying at the Pop Century. In the end, it was an easy decision for me to make. I wanted to keep the Pop Century on my family’s resort-hopping itinerary. But should I modify that reservation from two nights to one? Would my family want to transfer resorts after only one night?

I thought about it for a few days and came to the determination that since I was still concerned about my leg and the Florida weather, it would be less stressful on everyone involved if we checked into the Grand Floridian on the day before the party instead of the day of the party. I informed my family about the new change in plans (one night Pop Century, three nights Grand Floridian). They understood my reasoning and agreed with it.

With my decision made, I contacted my Dreams Unlimited Travel agent, Cathy. Like the professional that she is, Cathy didn’t question my crazy resort-hopping motives, she just made sure that all my reservation needs were taken care of and reflected in Dreams’ on-line reservation system. What a girl!

Next, I sent a message to the Grand Floridian informing them of my newest change in plans. I told them that I had a funny feeling that this was all a part of their Master Plan anyway. That is, if they gave me one heck of a dinner party, they would become my favorite resort again. Yes, it’s hard to pull the wool over this sheep’s eyes. I was wise to their ways (I don’t call myself “Jane Bond” for nothing). But I must admit that their plan worked beautifully. They had been so kind to my family that I couldn’t help but fall in love with that grand ol’ resort all over again.

Thinking back on it now, my family’s love of Walt Disney World had begun many moons ago with a stay at the Grand Floridian Resort. It was only fitting that we had found ourselves back at the place where we had started. And that leads me to my next Merriam-Webster entry:

full circle
(Merriam-Webster OnLine Dictionary)
Function: adverb
: through a series of developments that lead back to the original source, position, or situation or to a complete reversal of the original position -- usually used in the phrase come full circle

Ah, yes. Full circle. Or as Disney likes to calls it, the circle of life. Or as we science geeks like to call it, a Mobius Strip.

A quick search of the Internet led me to the physlink.com website that stated the following:

Question
What is the Mobius Strip?

Answer
Very roughly a surface is orientable if it has two sides so that, for example, is it possible to paint it with two different colours. A sheet of paper or the surface of a sphere are examples of orientable surfaces. A Mobius strip is a non-orientable surface: you can build one with a strip of paper (twist the strip and glue end together to form a ring) and verify that it has only one side: it is not possible to paint it with two colours.

In short a Mobius strip only has one side and one edge.

Ants would be able to walk on the Mobius strip on a single surface indefinitely since there is no edge in the direction of their movement.

And thus I find myself at the end of this post, or am I really back at its beginning? "Ants on the Mobius Strip." "Ants in the pants." It’s all the same to me.

Oh Janet2k, you had me laughing this morning! Great post!

So that's where I've been these past few years... marching around with ants on a mobius strip! I believe it! Now everything makes sense (smile)!

I don't think a kiddie game called "Ants on the Mobius Strip" would have sold as well as "Ants in Your Pants". It just doesn't have the same ring to it... :p You are a riot, and I second Bonzie1, you made me smile first thing this morning!

I have ants in my pants to hear the rest of this trip report!

Janet2k - you always have the most amazing experiences and describe them in such wonderful detail. Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter