My Open Letter to Disney.....A Loyal Guest Speaks Out

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by DisneyKidds, Apr 18, 2003.

1. DisneyKidds

DisneyKidds <font color=green>The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mo

Most of you know me. I'll say it...........I am probably one of the bigger Disney aplogists on this board :eek:. I love Disney. We all do. I still think Disney's offerings are unique and of great value. We don't all feel that. But let's put that aside. At this point I can't be removed from car 2 when it comes to Disney's offerings. However.......................

As much as I love Disney, their recent record on relationship management sucks. While I believe what Disney offers is great, although diminished from Disney's heyday, I think Disney takes for granted that their biggest fans will not abandon them, no matter what the company does. That is a mistake.

Is Disney relationship management so integral to the Magic that one cannot seperate it from the existing carpools, or can I still be in car 2 operations wise while I'm falling out of car 3 relationship management wise? I really don't know. As Baron and others might point out, I seem to be having a bit of an identity crisis :crazy:. Anywho, the following is a letter I am sending to Disney to make my feelings know, as it has been a while sinced I bared my Disney soul.............................
    If you took the time to read.............bless you.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mikeymars

mikeymars DIS Veteran

A powerful, wonderful letter to someone who (based on my personal experience with her) will read it and respond intelligently. Hopefully, your efforts will have the impact they deserve.

Bless you!!!!!!

4. KNWVIKING

KNWVIKING DIS Veteran

Better use two stamps.

5. d-r

d-r <font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>

certify it

6. grinningghost

grinningghost <font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family

A very well written letter. I really hope you get a response. Keep us posted.

7. DemoBri1

DemoBri1 Surfin' at the Beach Club Villas

DisneyKidds,

I feel your pain with this letter, but I do have to disagree on how you worded your letter. It is my feeling that this letter will not have the impact that it could have had if it were worded in a different manner.

For instance, you talk about the fact that you will not have access to some of the resort discounts because they are only available to holders of the Disney card. You are correct in that fact, but you also have the ability to apply for the card and obtain those discounts. Whether right or wrong, this is how that will be viewed in the eyes of corporate America today. We are not dealing with the "Boys in the Backroom" corporate types of the '50s, '60s, and '70s. We are dealing with ruthless, shrewd business executives whose sole mission is the dreaded "bottom-line".

I am a holder of Disney stock as you may or may not be. I have shuddered that the amount of money I have lost with regards to the recent downturn in the value of the company's stock. Yes, I too wonder why the heck Universal can spend so much money on their rides while Disney does nothing, or next to nothing. But then again, you also have to look at the teetering financial condition that Universal's parent company has been in for the better part of two years now. Constant rumblings of selling whereas I have yet to here anything regarding the possible sale of Disney.

That said, I do hope that you're letter does not fall on deaf ears, but...we all have been dealt a healthy helping of reality in the last 2-3 years to last us a lifetime.

Good Luck.

Brian

8. DisneyKidds

Perhaps. I've learned to take some time between writing such letters and mailing them. I'll give it a fresh read later before I put the stamp on. I do want to come across as someone who is concerned for the company, and not just for discounts I think I should be getting.
    A loyal customer shouldn't have to apply for a credit card, with a real possibility of being denied due of a profitability formula as opposed to credit worthiness, to have the relationship with the company be recognized, especially since it had been recognized prior to the credit card being offered. It very much should matter whether it is right or wrong, as great companies are not built solely on the bottom line mentality of todays execs. I'll try to be sure that is clear if it isn't already.
    Deaf mouse ears or not (which I assume they will be), at least you have to speak up now and again. Not that I haven't in the past, but it has been a while since I have officially stood on my soapbox with Disney.

9. crusader

crusader calls the faithful to their knees

Mr. Kidds -

Great letter. Very well said and heartfelt.

You are absolutely right - the Company needs to do alot more to show the loyal customer they are valued.

10. Bob O

Bob O <font color=navy>Voice of Reason<br><font color=re

Great letter!!!! Well done job!!!!
    Now lets see what kind of response you get from it, a form letter or someone who rides it and thinks about it before replying.

11. lenshanem

lenshanem <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

I agree with the letter. I have in the past year sent several emails with troubling concerns addressing poor service that we have experienced. I never have had to do that before. Only two of my emails were answered - one positively, the other with no resolution.
    I have a deep love for WDW, but I do worry about the future. I have even looked into Universal's new resorts as alternatives, thinking ahead to Universal parks and Sea World as vacation alternatives to our usual trips down, when I had never given those parks a second thought before.
    It all started with the poor attention to cleanliness and maintenance. I clearly remember a time we were in Toontown. I looked up and saw a sign that looked covered in mildew, rust and faded away... I couldn't believe it. MK was the place my parents took me to each year and I always remembered it being so clean, sparkling, fresh...Not like Six Flags on a bad day.
    I guess they thought people would come regardless of the cutbacks. Seems they still don't understand and blame it all on the state of the times....
    Well, in my opinion if you want people to come you make it more inviting - advertise more shows, longer hours, ticket specials, resort discounts...
    Instead they are cutting back and turning even the people that loyally come away.
    It is amazing to me that such a huge company could be so way off the mark?
    I, too have seen our stock once split was it four times? to being worth next to nothing...
    I've been looking into DVC, but there is that nagging fear that WDW will continue to go down in demise....

Please keep us posted. I would LOVE to hear if they write you back and if they do how "vague" their response will be.

12. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

The current Disney Visa room discount code matches other codes available to everyone. CZF (Visa) & AEA (anyone) are the same discount, $25 off value, $50 off moderate, $100 off deluxe.

13. meiandrew

meiandrew Mouseketeer

Amazing letter !!! Bless YOU for taking the time to put your feeling into words. We felt the same way about the Disney Visa, and also did not apply. We always felt a little special being MKC members. I dont feel that way about having another credit card. We just renewed our AP's because we love Disney too much.
    I hope your letter makes it easier for us to renew again next year !

:bounce:

:)

14. winniedapooh

winniedapooh <font color=magenta>Busy and proud Mom of 5 Disney

Excellent and well thought out letter. I totally agree with you on the VISA card issue. I myself have written to Disney 3 times for a variety of room problems I had had and heard back from the same person, and to my satsifaction may I add, each time. I hope you are as lucky and are heard as well as listened to.

Faith, trust, and pixie dust to you!

15. Susiesnowflake

Susiesnowflake DIS Veteran

What a great letter! Can I sign too?

16. pouncingpluto

pouncingpluto 2005 WDW Bride

Regarding the Visa card, not everyone really has the option of getting one. I am a current Disney Club member. I made some mistakes with money in college, and at age 25, those aren't all cleared up yet. I would probably not be accepted for the card, and applying for one and being rejected would cause my credit rating to go down further, which is something I'm not willing to risk.

So I agree... a credit card with perks is most definitely not an adequate substitute for a discount club card.

17. freediverdude

freediverdude <font color=blue>Was very touched by the Tapestry

Great letter- I wish we could send a whole list of signatures of AP holders, DVC members, etc.

18. luvindisneyworld

luvindisneyworld <font color=green>Fireworks then a sundae - good s DVC Gold

Great Letter:p

19. faithinkarma

faithinkarma <font color="green">I'm not a good swimmer, but I

I wanted to stand at my computer and applaud. What a heartfelt letter ! You speak for so many of us. Wish there was a way we COULD all sign. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get their attention and make them listen?

20. margaritabnl

margaritabnl Mouseketeer

I agree 100% with this letter! While I am not a Disney Visa card holder, DVC member or AP holder, I feel I am not getting anything near fair value for a WDW vacation.

My upcoming trip in May will be our fifth. If I had bought cancellation insurance I would have rescheduled for a better time with more of the offerings Disney has to make the experience that much more special. Specifically, longer hours, fireworks, and the parades.

While room rates and ticket costs have increased, I, and the public, are faced with fewer offerings with ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE IN PRICE! Where is the logic and value in that?! It amazes me that Disney will charge @ $50 per park for 3-4 fewer hours access under the assumption I will spend my money at the resort instead of in the park. I can only speak for myself but that will not be the case. I will make a grocery store stop and load up on drinks and munchies for the resort instead of giving them more money.

And you mention discounts via cards and email. I have never once received such an offering. What is the criteria for this? Do you need to visit 2-3 times a year? If I had been offered these discounts it is HIGHLY likely I would have come down there for vacation once a year instead of every other year.

This entire vacation started out with such high hopes because of all the past experiences we had there were incredible. Now I just want to go and get it over with because I feel I am being cheated.
    My 2005 vacation will not be to WDW but to an Caribbean island or Europe. And most definitely NOT Disney Paris!

What is most sad for me is that being a travel agent, I don't feel my customers will get what they pay for with a Disney vacation. I would not hesitate to suggest a vacation alternative. Disney has lost a customer in me personally, and as a salesperson for their company. And I think that is most telling as to their current state of operation. *Falling off my soapbox now*

21. DisneyKidds

Yes, I realize that and clarified the letter a little more. With respect to resort discounts, it really is the email and postcard rates that offer the best discount. As for Visa discounts, while the resort discounts may not be the deepest, whatever other discounts are offered appear to be a replacement for the Disney Club, and that is wrong IMHO.
    I haven't a clue, but customer loyalty appears to have nothing to do with it. We are about as regular customers as you can find. That is probably WHY we have never gotten such an offer. They figure were coming anyway so why offer the best discount. That is no way to reward your best customers.