• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Mother's Day surprise scavenger hunt!! The gift revealed! Pg 5

:
ooooh, you pool-hopper you!! :rotfl2:

:rotfl::rotfl: Is it still pool hopping if I'm not a guest at any resort? :rotfl::rotfl:

I have to give you a bit more background so you can fully understand what was going through my mind. DH claims he doesn’t have a romantic bone in his body and he’s no good at the typical romantic things. I know he has a loving, romantic streak so the bone he doesn’t claim to have is there somewhere. I guess it’s just my luck it’s a little tiny one, probably in his inner ear, at the end of his tail bone or even the last joint on his pinky toe. These insignificant bones can cause major uproar when they are malfunctioning so I guess that’s what happens with DH when he plans these surprises for me.

His gestures have ranged from small and sweet to completely over the top; this scavenger hunt is the second biggest so far. He used to send me into The Disney Store (when it was still TDS owned by Disney, not this stripped down mass merchandising outlet they allowed Children’s Place Corp turn it into.) I loved going in and getting a little Disney fix because we couldn’t travel to the parks for such a long time. While I was in the store, he would either claim he needed the restroom or just sneak away and go downstairs to buy me a chocolate covered strawberry from Godiva Chocolate. He saved change and small amounts of cash for nearly 5 years to pay for our second honeymoon trip. He called my boss to get approval for my time off work and made sure one of my sisters could stay with our kids. He presented me with the packet from our travel agent as a birthday, anniversary, and Christmas gift. He got the platinum plan as he wanted an all inclusive trip so I would just relax and enjoy anything that I wanted to do. (Planning our dining and recreation for that trip is how I found the DISboards. :D) Two years ago, we had a grand gathering with the friends I mentioned earlier. I wanted the trip to be perfect for everyone. We hadn’t brought the kids down in a very long time and I didn’t know if we were going to be able to do it again so I wanted them to experience everything possible. I spent so much time planning and on the phone, I went through 1500 roll over minutes on our cell phone. That was roll over; in addition to our normal allotment of minutes!! :scared1: Our first dinner was the Safari Celebration grand gathering experience. DH ordered a floral arraignment for me from Disney Florists. When the hostess was making announcements, she said there was a family who wanted to thank their mother for all the hard work she put into their trip. She told everyone how many minutes I had used (I didn’t know…) I was in awe of this terrific planner and loving mother. I almost fell off my chair when she said my name!!! The other CMs had snuck up behind me with my flowers and when DH called my name I turned my head to see this:

Fairytalefloralarraingement.jpg

The card read "Thank you for being our family’s Fairy Godmother. We love you!" I cried and cried. It was such a sweet thing for him to do and say. I’m actually getting a bit teary eyed as I’m typing and sharing it with y’all. Our Valentine’s Day spring break trip in 2009 brought me another sweet surprise. I went from Fairy Godmother to a princess. I was bowled over again when they presented my gift.

100_3654.jpg
100_3655.jpg
100_3656.jpg

All these memories and memories of other special occasions were floating through my mind as we were walking to the hotel and I was getting ready for dinner. What had he planned for me that he needed to send me on a scavenger hunt before I could get the rest of my Mother’s Day gift? It had to be something really big if he went through all this trouble!

When I returned to the check-in desk for CG, my family was nowhere in sight. I asked if they had been sent upstairs already and the hostess confirmed they had. I was sent up on the next elevator. I love stepping off the elevator on the 15th floor. This is signature dining, no kitsch or overdone Disney themes. The view out the windows is breathtaking. I was led to our table and found my family waiting for me, just beaming. There was Mickey heads sprinkled across the white tablecloth. The waiter was just brining water as I sat down. Drinks were ordered and I glanced at the menu. I enjoy the cheese board so I knew I was going to start with that. The kids opted for the Crab and Beef Oscar rolls.

My drink; the Ray Ray:
322.jpg

I found it to be a bit to tart and it had more alcohol in it than I usually like.

Cheese board:
320.jpg

Kids sushi, after they helped themselves...... silly kids don't know the first rule of a TR with a dining review:
318.jpg

I forgot: Mony, I was cracking up this morning. I could picture you sitting down with your coffee and being disappointed when I hadn't posted anything new. I hope you drank your coffee before it went stone cold.

Alrighty DISboard buddies............... I got roped into driving to Tampa this evening. I planned on coming in tonight and finishing my story. I may do some more writing but I don't know if I can post pictures from my phone. I'll see what I can do.

I forgot: Mony, I was cracking up this morning. I could picture you sitting down with your coffee and being disappointed when I hadn't posted anything new. I hope you drank your coffee before it went stone cold.

Maybe the cup is still sitting there, waiting...........

J/K.

I will probably never get to dine at CG, so I have to experience it through you. Details, all of them!

If DH and I went w/o kids, I think the guilt would be way to great to enjoy the trip. That may be the only way to get to CG. Or wait until the girls are teenagers, so we can have a meal to ourselves. Paying for 6 adults? Yikes! Would the boys in their 20's still want to go to WDW? A tirp with just us and the girls? So many options.......

The time has come dear readers to finish my tale. I know I've left you hanging and waiting for a few days.

I last left off with our appetizers at CG. I have to say, the view is breathtaking and the food has alwyas been subpurb. We haven't been to all of the signature restaurants but of the ones we've tried, this is our favorite.

While we were finishing our appetizers, DH got a VM from a friend saying he needed to speak with us urgently. He has just separated from his wife and we are concerned about how he is doing so DH stepped out to the lobby and returned his call. After he left, DS excused himself to the restroom and handed his sisters the things that had been in his lap. He had the car keys and a bag that I keep in the trunk of the car. I questioned why he had them and the kids tried playing it off but I was rapidly unravelling their story and knew the whole family was in on all of this.

DH planned everything almost perfectly. He reserved our table so we could be dining during Wishes. Our waiter asked if we'd like our entrees held so we could go out on the balcony. DS and I wanted to go but DH and the girls didn't. I said dinner could be served even if I was outside. There is something magical about viewing Wishes from Main Street; watching from CG is a nice change of perspective but it loses some of the magic. That said, I always take advantage of the opportunity to go outside to watch. DS and I made our way outside witht he rest of the patrons. We found a spot just as the show began. DS was so sweet and he aske me to please not tell that they slipped up and I knew they were involved in helping with my surprise. He watched a few minutes of the show with me but decided he wanted dinner more thanhe wanted to see fireworks. That left me alone to watch, enthralled and sing along here and there. (I did get a few odd looks for that though....... some people just don't know how to wrap themselves in the magic and embrace the fact that nearly anything is possible if you only believe. :goodvibes ) I took a few pictures:

358.jpg
390.jpg
384.jpg

362.jpg
344.jpg
394.jpg

After the Wishes, I returned to my table to find my dinner covered with a dome to help keep it warm. My chicken was wonderful and so moist. Everyone had something different but they were finished eating by the time I came back. I only got a photo of my own meal.

398.jpg

After I finished, it came time to consider dessert. I was unable to clean my dinner plate and I suggested we skip dessert. I wanted to go back to MK to see Spectro and suggested that we get ice cream on Main Street. DH said we were going to order dessert and they decided on two things to share. I said that as long as we were going to sit there for a little bit, I should finally get to look in the envelopes. Dh smiled and handed them over. I opened the first one and got a picture:

402.jpg

Ring??!?? It doesn't look like much of a ring in that one. DS said "That's the wax casting." Wax casting?? That implies they had this made specially for me and didn't go pick one out of the case at a chain jewelry store. More pictures followed:

428.jpg
404.jpg

I wasn't finished opening the envelopes and the kids saw the waitstaff traying our desserts. Several CM came over to see what was on the tray. Dh said there was a little crowd gathering to admire it. I grabbed another envelope and called out that I wasn't done yet and to please wait for me. The kids also signaled that we needed another few moments. I wasted no more time in revealing the rest of the pictures.

426.jpg
438.jpg
406.jpg

The last picture took my breath away. It was beautiful!

440.jpg

My dessert was served covered with a silver dome. The dome was lifted to reveal:
410.jpg
416.jpg
420.jpg

They worked witha local jeweler for nearly 2 months to have my ring made for me. I have 2 garnets for my oldest and youngest children and a very clear, light green emerald for the middle child. They designed an antique looking setting and surrounded teh main stones with more than 2 dozen tiny ideal cut diamonds. I also have 4 little sapphires (not entirely sure why they chose those) as additional accents.

424.jpg

It all came together then, almost all the clues had something to do with my ring. the colors were the colors fo the stones, the words ring and gold were used in two clues....... he was hinting at what my surprise was but I was to wrapped up in the hunt and awed by how absolutely wonderful the adventure was to put it all together.

The kids finally confessed who had what part in all of this. The girls were running about 5 mins ahead of us and asking the CM for help delivering the clues. They would hang back a bit to make sure I arrived before setting off to the next location. At one point, they accidentally turned around and wound up within 10 feet of me. I was oblivious and didn't notice them but DH did. He was so afraid their cover was going to be blown. He also stopped me at one point as we were walking through Fantasyland; now I know it was to make sure the girls had enough time to get clear of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party. DS had the most important job of all. He had to bring my ring up to the manager of the restaurant so it could be put in the safe and later delivered to me.

Those crazy wonderful kids and loving DH of mine...... They went through all this trouble, conspired with each other; made several phone calls to make sure they could do this and surprised me with a wonderful adventure and beautiful ring. I can say that I have never felt more love from them or for them than I did once I realized how special they decided to make my Mother's Day.

The cell phone pictures really don't do it justice. I love staring at it once I'm outside in bright sunlight; it throws small rainbows and glints of light everywhere. I don't know how I'm going to thank my family or the creator of my ring. Sharing my story is just the beginning! Thanks Dave for working with my family! And thank you Vic, Lissa, Kara and Patrick for loving me enough to make my day beautiful! I love you all!

I literally just said Aww.how sweet... outloud to my computer! haha!!What a sweet family! Very pretty ring!!!

That's wonderful - what a lucky family to have each other! Thank you so much for sharing your story:goodvibes

aww that is so sweet and such a beautiful ring!! I am going to save this story and make my husband read it so in the (long) future (we are just married almost 1 year with no kids yet) maybe he can try to be so creative lol

what an awesome fairy tale mother's day, complete with magical ending! :)

thank you for sharing and thank you for not making us wait any longer! LOL! i'm not good with suspense!

Thank you everyone for sticking with me and your kind comments. Somedays, my family can be almost unbearable but on days like this, they receem themselves so completely that my heart feels like bursting from the love we all have for each other.

I literally just said Aww.how sweet... outloud to my computer! haha!!What a sweet family! Very pretty ring!!!

I've said "Aaawwwe" several times when I've read about other's experiences. I love to hear about all the sweet things people do for their Disney loving family members. I really think it helps keep the magic alive for some of us who should be too jaded to believe.

aww that is so sweet and such a beautiful ring!! I am going to save this story and make my husband read it so in the (long) future (we are just married almost 1 year with no kids yet) maybe he can try to be so creative lol

Now I have to say 'awe.' I never thought my story would inspire anyone or make them wish they could have a similiar adventure.

:goodvibesAwesome!! And now I will ask if your hubby has a single brother!! :lmao::eek::rolleyes1

He does, but we don't expect so much out of him. LOL Both of the one's that may do something like this have already been taken.........

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

I found something this morning that I want to share with y'all. I found this group a few months ago and this morning I decided to randomly follow some of the links, choosing a new song each time. This is a selection from Fantasia, overdubbed with All Angels, a lovely group of Brit ladies with beautiful voices. Take a listen and check out some of their other songs as well. I hope you fall in love with them!

That is called a husband and kids who truly "get" your love for disney. I loved your story, all of it, and thanks for sharing it. Can't wait to see your ring in August!

Thank you Monica. I can hardly wait to see more of my DIS buddies down here. I love meeting up with people I know from online. It seems to make everyone a bit more real.

Today they put up with me again; DH and I did the last day of Flower and Garden and the kids decided they wanted a make-up visit to MK since they were so busy making my day last week. I wanted to go on the photo walk earlier this week but had to work so we made up our own.

It's storming here so I'd better go. Have a great Sunday night everyone!

Noni, just loved your detailed story. You told me a little about it on Tues. evening but not all the details. Just great and what a lovely family! I enjoyed meeting all of you Disers and was sorry we couldn't stay longer.
Thanks for sharing this heart-warming story.:)

Lisa~ Thanks for sticking with me to the end.

Paula~ Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed meeting your family too. That grandbaby is a cutie pie! I completely understand the littlest traveler determining what the whole group is going to do. Maybe we can meet up again on another trip. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter