My FP+ Park Strategy WILL SAVE ME ALMOST $20,000!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laketravis

This avatar sponsored by: FastPass+
I didn't want to post this until all the figures were final, but I think I've finally found a way to embrace FP+. You see, because we felt like we couldn't do as much per day with FP+ and in order to satisfy our sense of value we had extended our two big annual treks to WDW to two weeks at a time.

Our trips to Orlando have been, for decades, exclusively Disney and always onsite. But now since we can reserve 3 FP's for any time of the day whether we eat and stay at WDW or not and it's gotten to where we don't want to stay in the parks for hours at a time with nothing but Standby Lines after we've used our FP's, it occurred to me that I simply needed to monetize the benefits the 51% who like FP+ have come to realize.

SO............here's what we WERE looking at spending over the next 5 years (based on the last 5 years) for a more condensed daily park experience:

Two weeks early June at CSR, buy AP's and DDP for 3: $7,039
Two weeks over Thanksgiving at CSR and DDP (already have AP's) for 3: $5,711

That's $12,750 and over the next 5 years represents $63,750!!!

Now here is where the beauty of FP+ comes in and why I can now embrace it by turning that reduced daily park experience into an advantage!

First, we buy our WDW AP's ($2262) to obtain 365 days of free parking and park admittance as well as make our FP+ reservations for 3 attractions each afternoon or evening. That'll actually come in handy because now we can make as many additional day or weekend trips to WDW as we want at nominal cost, but I won't consider those savings right now. Then we stay at a really nice condo right outside the parks ($750 a week x 4) and eat offsite at some really great places each day ($100 x 28 days). Oh, and we'll go ahead and add some AP's to Universal while we're at it ($884) so we have something else to do each day once we've used our 3 FP's!!

Now our gross cost is $8,946 for four weeks in Orlando at WDW and USO, realizing a net savings of $3804 per year x 5 years for a total of $19,020 in savings!!!!!

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

I had originally allocated $750 per week for a nice condo but I've since been able to reserve a 3-star one bedroom with full kitchen and laundry for $242 a week in June! That's another $500 a week in savings. I don't anticipate being able to do that every time over the next five years, but then I'm betting WDW prices don't stay the same either.

Will YOU save almost $20,000? It depends on how often you go and for how long. One thing is for sure though - once you're in the park FP+ provides all guests the same advantage whether you eat and sleep on site or not and regardless of how long you stay.

And once you use your three FP's per day, ALL parks in Orlando have waiting lines.

Last edited:
You realize the only thing saving you money is staying offsite and not buying the DDP right... Please tell me this post is a joke and you don't think you are saving money because of FP+. If you only want to ride 3 rides a day, you could easily do that without FP+. If 42 rides over 14 days is enough for you, I have great news. You can save a whole lot more by only going for 3 days and getting park hoppers!

Ah...but you couldn't you have saved all that money before FP+ by staying offsite at an inexpensive condo rental as well? ;)

I think the point is that FP+ lessening their ability to ride as many rides as before (with little or no wait) caused them to make the choice of staying offsite. I understand it.

I bet you realized all this in 15 minutes or less. :duck:

Even if the post is sarcasm-laced, there is a good point. There are people who may well find some ways to save money in the FP+ future, but it might not be in a way that necessarily profits Disney.

I guess Disney will will have to sell a few more nights at the Polynesian bungalows to make up for this ;)

We are each just small potatoes in ......... um, a bigger pile of potatoes, I guess

You realize the only thing saving you money is staying offsite and not buying the DDP right... Please tell me this post is a joke and you don't think you are saving money because of FP+.

The inverse of your statement is that staying on-site and buying the DDP cost us an additional $20K over 5 years, and it's not a joke because FP+ helped me realize that.

Bored today, are we?

Not at all - I'm excited just thinking of what to do with that extra cash. Just look at my Avatar!

Ah...but couldn't you have saved all that money before FP+ by staying offsite at an inexpensive condo rental as well? ;)

Yep. But we didn't. And now we will. :)

Even if the post is sarcasm-laced, there is a good point. There are people who may well find some ways to save money in the FP+ future, but it might not be in a way that necessarily profits Disney.

Well, we certainly did find ourselves spending less time in the park each day which is counter to Disney's strategic objective and caused us to re-examine our onsite/dining strategy.

I think the point is that FP+ lessening their ability to ride as many rides as before (with little or no wait) caused them to make the choice of staying offsite. I understand it.

Nailed it, Will. I don't understand why some would think I'm being sarcastic. I've figured out how to save $20,000 over the next five years and most likely get more bang for the buck. And I give FP+ 100% credit for motivating me to explore those options.

I probably shouldn't have shared my strategy, though, because if just a small fraction of WDW's annual visitors - oh, let's say 100,000 or so - do the same that's $200 million to WDW and they'd probably notice at that point.

As savvy a Disney vet as you are, I'm surprised you're just now realizing that staying off site and eating offsite will save you thousands over time. I don't think you're the typical guest though- only interested in riding rides and getting out of the parks asap. I would think most people like to stroll around, enjoy some shows, watch parades and fireworks and soak up the magic a little. But for you, this sounds like the perfect plan. Plus it has the added benefit of getting you in and out and freeing up some space for the magic lovers!!:)

As savvy a Disney vet as you are, I'm surprised you're just now realizing that staying off site and eating offsite will save you thousands over time. I don't think you're the typical guest though- only interested in riding rides and getting out of the parks asap. I would think most people like to stroll around, enjoy some shows, watch parades and fireworks and soak up the magic a little. But for you, this sounds like the perfect plan. Plus it has the added benefit of getting you in and out and freeing up some space for the magic lovers!!:)

Oh, we'll still find time to stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere. We aren't die-hard attraction riders and oblivious to everything else WDW has to offer. But FP+ helped me realize we really don't need to stay (and eat) onsite anymore to derive the same benefits while in the park. Not to mention there's no longer a need for ADR's to complicate the day! I suppose after 40 years of exclusively on-site visits it took something like MM+/FP+ to motivate me to reconsider that strategy. Now, the reasons people like FP+ will work to our advantage.

Clearly some didn't get what you're saying Trav...lemme splain for them...

YES, he knows this option of staying offsite and dining offsite etc existed BEFORE FP+, however prior to the advent of FP+ he had NO INTEREST in staying off-site or eating offsite. Now, thanks to his assessment of how FP+ will impact his trips (IE he doesn't like it...) he will stay off site etc...

Was I close?

Do you vacation anywhere besides WDW?

Yes, frequently throughout the year although Orlando is our bi-annual biggy. Once DS9 gets older we'll probably migrate to other domestic and overseas trips. That's why I've only projected savings 5 years out.

YES, he knows this option of staying offsite and dining offsite etc existed BEFORE FP+, however prior to the advent of FP+ he had NO INTEREST in staying off-site or eating offsite. Now, thanks to his assessment of how FP+ will impact his trips (IE he doesn't like it...) he will stay off site etc...

Was I close?

Bingo.

You know what I don't get? I thought I would have been welcomed into the "We Love FP+" camp with open arms!

You do need to factor in parking costs per each day of visits.

Using the SDFPs and taking in your MagicBands that weren't linked to your Main MDE, how many FPs did you find you used each day during your last visit? I know you looked for the Kiosks in City Hall so I'm thinking you had at least 6 FPs per day, probably more, and your park visits were still disappointing?

Oh, we'll still find time to stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere. We aren't die-hard attraction riders and oblivious to everything else WDW has to offer. But FP+ helped me realize we really don't need to stay (and eat) onsite anymore to derive the same benefits while in the park. Not to mention there's no longer a need for ADR's to complicate the day! I suppose after 40 years of exclusively on-site visits it took something like MM+/FP+ to motivate me to reconsider that strategy. Now, the reasons people like FP+ will work to our advantage.

Oh...it was your comment of "don't want to stay in the parks for hours at a time with nothing but Standby Lines" that made me think you didn't want to stay in the parks for hours at a time....my mistake. Still, it's a great plan and you should definitely do it! I think it's great when people understand that Disney as it is today is not the fit it used to be for them and adapt their vacations rather than just complain and keep on going. Thankfully for us, it fits us better than ever.

I admire your ability to adapt though. For us, a WDW vacation is the whole package- onsite exclusively for everything. If Disney changed to a point that it no longer made sense to do that, we'd just quit going, not flexible at all!

The funny thing about this (well that people would go after lake for this) is this is EXACTLY what SO MANY people who LIKE FP+ have been saying they like about it. They spend less time in the parks, they spend more time just relaxing at their resort, they don't do as many rides they just go into the parks for a few hours and the rest is relaxation by the pool, drinks and food and all that jazz.

Awesome, Lake is doing the exact same thing, and he is going to save a bundle of money doing it.

I wonder how many Travel Agents will follow this type of thinking? "Why pay the extra cost to stay onsite? Just book your 3 FPs, so you know you have them, don't rush to the park for RD, enjoy time at a much less expensive resort, potentially much nicer than you were going to stay at, travel leisurely to the parks (and many of them offer fantastic shuttles to wdw, though renting a car is also dirt cheap), and then come back to your resort. All while saving a bunch of money."

Was I close?

I think we get it just fine.

You do need to factor in parking costs per each day of visits.

Using the SDFPs and taking in your MagicBands that weren't linked to your Main MDE, how many FPs did you find you used each day during your last visit? I know you looked for the Kiosks in City Hall so I'm thinking you had at least 6 FPs per day, probably more, and your park visits were still disappointing?

AP's = Free Parking. We used 3 FP's per day on our most recent visits that were FP+ only. The kiosks never had any headliners left and we figured out pretty quickly that it was faster to stand in the SB line for the attractions that the kiosks had left for FP+

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter