My dog, the neighbor and the tree

I agree about avoiding the tree. The man lives there too. He likes to keep the plants looking nice. What's the use of continually making him mad? Just pull in the leash when you walk by and have the dog do his business elsewhere. You certainly don't have to, but I don't see a reason to do otherwise.

Well we might have a dog "snowflake" here lol. Are you a doggie parent that won't make their dog behave in public because you don't want to stifle their natural curiosity and exuberance lol? (I kid, I kid).

But really, yes it is totally within your control where your dog does his "business" and to pretend otherwise is kind of ridiculous. While the old man may be annoying, and it is natural to get your back up when someone tries to control you, the fact is, his beautifying and puttering to make the complex look better benefits everyone.

I wouldn't make this a power struggle and just get my dog to go pee somewhere that doesn't mess up someone's work.

I could go either way on it. On the one hand, I might tend to keep my dog away from the tree going forward just to keep the peace. Especially since the guy is your downstairs neighbor. But on the other hand, it's a community tree, not the neighbor's tree on his own property, so he really has no right to tell you to keep the dog away from it. I think he's being crotchety to confront you on it, and you're being stubborn by not walking your dog the other way.

I don't know, you could avoid the tree to keep the peace. He could be one of those people who if you give them an inch, they take a mile. Who knows what his next demand will be. He sounds a little nutso, though, and I usually try to avoid pissing off the crazies.

It's a community tree. If anyone needs
to try to keep the peace it's the old crazy guy. He can't go around claiming trees that are there for anyone. I would continue to let my dog use the tree.

Maybe beautifying the community is the one thing he has to be proud of, he may not have a whole lot else in his life. I don't think I would pick this as a " I'll stick it to him!" Moment.
So we live in a condo complex, on the second floor, above a relatively older man. This man (who tends to sunbathe nearly naked, and honestly shouldn't) has somewhat declared himself "beautification manager and flower attendant" - pruning, planting new flowers, cleaning leaves up, and whatnot.

Sooooo....

Between our building and the one next to it, there stands a decent-sized tree, and under that tree, the neighbor has placed a whole bunch of decorative white stones. In that tree live a family of squirrels, which my dog seems to think would be pretty tasty, even without barbecue sauce. The dog has the time of his life staring up at these squirrels, growling at them, giving them the stink-eye. He also enjoys peeing at the bottom of this tree, as a sort of "MINE, not YOURS!"

The neighbor stopped me tonight as I'm out walking the little fuzzball. "Hey," he says, "do you let your dog do his business by that tree??" I said that he does. The neighbor replies, "Well, keep him away from the tree, he's moving my rocks around."

I replied back that I can't exactly control where and when my dog piddles, and if he chooses that tree, I'm not going to stop him.

DH said that I was right to tell him that.

Was I?

Maybe beautifying the community is the one thing he has to be proud of, he may not have a whole lot else in his life. I don't think I would pick this as a " I'll stick it to him!" Moment.

I guess I don't see what a little dog pee is going to do to the white rock.

I don't know that it would do anything either , it just may be a matter of pride because the guy fixed it up. Also, if he continues to work on the area he may not want to touch pee. I have dogs and one day was walking them and my dog peed on the area around the mailbox. The owner came flying out and was pretty upset with me. She mentioned that she pruned, planted etc... there and didn't want to put her hands in my dog's urine. Made me think I needed to be more considerate.

I would still walk my dog there if I am not breaking any rules of the community. It seems weird of him to be putting in all this money or stuff that isn't really his job. To me this isn't like you guys are expecting anything special for your dog and are following the rules.

Thinking about it he could actually be breaking some sort of condo rule by putting the rocks out there. Wonder if the board knows about his little self beautification projects.

I don't know that it would do anything either , it just may be a matter of pride because the guy fixed it up. Also, if he continues to work on the area he may not want to touch pee. I have dogs and one day was walking them and my dog peed on the area around the mailbox. The owner came flying out and was pretty upset with me. She mentioned that she pruned, planted etc... there and didn't want to put her hands in my dog's urine. Made me think I needed to be more considerate.

Even if this dog stopped peeing there, he would be ill-advised to assume the area is urine-free.

Your neighbor was out of line. It's a community tree, not his. I think you and your dog certainly have as much right to use it. Still, as much as I'd hate doing it, I would avoid letting my dog by that tree. You just never know. What if he's crazy enough to put something there that may harm your dog? Not worth the risk. If he was really rude though, I'd be tempted to go mess up the stones myself, lol.

I don't think that's the issue. The OP described their dog as frantically barking and scratching up a tree to get at the squirrels. With his jumping and running all over stones to get at the squirrels, it's likely pushing the stones all out of place.

Nowhere did I say the dog "frantically barks and scratches up a tree"...just that he gives 'em the stink eye and stares at them.

Nowhere did I say the dog "frantically barks and scratches up a tree"...just that he gives 'em the stink eye and stares at them.

Sorry... guess I deduced that's what happens from your description, and also because that's what my dog does. So your dog just stares up the tree at them and doesn't try to jump up at them? I was picturing that, and that being the explanation for why the stones got messed up. I can't picture how it would happen otherwise since simply peeing on them wouldn't do much.

Sorry... guess I deduced that's what happens from your description, and also because that's what my dog does. So your dog just stares up the tree at them and doesn't try to jump up at them? I was picturing that, and that being the explanation for why the stones got messed up. I can't picture how it would happen otherwise since simply peeing on them wouldn't do much.

It's cool. No, he's just dumb like that...just stands there and stares at them. Pretty funny, really.

I guess the stones get messed up when he walks on them at all, sliding from their "assigned spaces"...

It's cool. No, he's just dumb like that...just stands there and stares at them. Pretty funny, really.

I guess the stones get messed up when he walks on them at all, sliding from their "assigned spaces"...

Gotcha. I do think it's an odd thing for the neighbor to get worked up over, to the point of saying something to you. For all he knows, it could be the squirrels also contributing to it since the dig/bury stuff, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter