My DD was hired for her 1st teaching position!

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
DD#2 graduated in Dec with a degree in SpEd teaching. She filled out application for over 75 school districts in the Chicago area.

She had two interviews before Christmas and was offered jobs by each of them. She decided to turn them down because they were both for teacher aid positions. She did the math and decided that the hourly wage wasn't worth the cost of travel. She also considered that they were both small districts so the opportunity for a teaching position wasn't that great.

She was a little bummed but decided to stick it out.

She got a call a week ago Friday but was working with the camp from our park district with the special needs kids. It was the only day that she worked. I took the message and told the lady that she wouldn't be available until after 5pm. She told me who she was and that she really wanted to speak to DD. She gave me her personal cell# and asked DD to call her whenever she could.

Long story short, DD called and they set up an interview. She was interviewing for 3 open positions. 1 was a contract teaching position, 1 was a long -term sub teaching position probably lasting until the end of the year and 1 was for a teacher's aid position.

Saturday, the SpEd director left a message asking DD to call her cell as soon as she could. She offered DD the contracted teaching position!

DD is so excited as our we. The school board is set to approve her hiring tonight and DD should be starting very soon. :banana: She will be teaching a classroom of about 5 elementary students that all have Autism.

The best part of all is that the school is less than 1 1/2 miles from our house. It's a huge school district (3 high schools, 6 middle schools and 20 elementary schools) so hopefully she'll have a position next school year as well.

Congratulations to her! Sounds like it will be a very rewarding job. Your daughter must be very special to be selected to work with those special kids, not a job everyone can do. I wish her all the luck in the world!

Congrats to your daughter. BTW that is not a huge district at all. Our district is one of the largest in the country and that is smaller than one of our regions.

Congrats to your daughter. BTW that is not a huge district at all. Our district is one of the largest in the country and that is smaller than one of our regions.

Thanks!

For the Chicago suburbs, its' big but compared to Chicago Public Schools, I'm sure it's not. We have a lot of school district that are high school only so they may have only 2 schools. We have a lot that are elementary only and they usually only have 4-6 schools. There's even an elementary district that she applied that is only 1 building. That building houses the classrooms as well as the administration departments.

We have 6 regions all with multiple high schools, middle and elementary schools. we are in region 6 with 5 high schools. Entire district has at least 30 high schools and numerous middle and elementary schools. I have 4 within 10 blocks of my house.

Retired SPecial Ed teacher here (31 years)..congrats to your daughter!

It is a VERY difficult, but very rewarding, choice.

Congrats to your daughter, daughtersrus.

My daughter is working on a master's in education and special education. She is working as a teaching assistant, in a nursery school half a mile from our house. She didn't major in education in college and won't have a teaching license until she finishes her master's. Her father is a special ed teacher, so she knows how tough, and how rewarding, it will be.

:confused3 What kind of response was that?

OP- congrats to your daughter. My son will be applying for positions for the next school year. He's majoring in deaf studies and is looking to get into the school district to be an interpreter for the kids.

Congratulations to your daughter! :worship: I believe God has a special place in heaven for teachers of students with special needs. I hope she loves her new class.

OP- congrats to your daughter. My son will be applying for positions for the next school year. He's majoring in deaf studies and is looking to get into the school district to be an interpreter for the kids.

I agree, how is it even relevant to the OP's post. OP congrats to your daughter!!!!

Congrats to your daughter! In this economy it's a huge achievement to land a job, especially one you've been training hard for!

And I don't see why it's relevant, but that school district is HUGE compared to the I went to. :thumbsup2

Congrats to your daughter! In this economy it's a huge achievement to land a job, especially one you've been training hard for!

And I don't see why it's relevant, but that school district is HUGE compared to the I went to. :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone.

The only reason that I posted the size of the school district was that DD was looking for the potential to either be hired as a teacher if she accepted an aid position, or the potential to keep the teaching position if hired.

Since she's certified age 5-22yo, she wanted to be in a larger school district. The more positions they have, the better. That's all I meant. Sorry!

OP mentioned the size of the district because it's relevant to her daughter's employment, i.e., that because it's a comparatively large district there will likely be an opportunity to keep teaching during the next school year. why someone would focus on the size of the district is beyond me. :confused3

Since she's certified age 5-22yo, she wanted to be in a larger school district. The more positions they have, the better. That's all I meant. Sorry!

Oh no, don't apologize! I meant that I didn't see why it was relevant for a previous poster to critique the size. It could be a 2 school district, doesn't lessen the achievement of finding a job! :goodvibes But yeah, I can understand why the larger district would be better for her.

:thumbsup2

That's what I was thinking! Graduating in December and getting a good job in January??? That's awesome:thumbsup2

DD#2 graduated in Dec with a degree in SpEd teaching. She filled out application for over 75 school districts in the Chicago area.

She had two interviews before Christmas and was offered jobs by each of them. She decided to turn them down because they were both for teacher aid positions. She did the math and decided that the hourly wage wasn't worth the cost of travel. She also considered that they were both small districts so the opportunity for a teaching position wasn't that great.

She was a little bummed but decided to stick it out.

She got a call a week ago Friday but was working with the camp from our park district with the special needs kids. It was the only day that she worked. I took the message and told the lady that she wouldn't be available until after 5pm. She told me who she was and that she really wanted to speak to DD. She gave me her personal cell# and asked DD to call her whenever she could.

Long story short, DD called and they set up an interview. She was interviewing for 3 open positions. 1 was a contract teaching position, 1 was a long -term sub teaching position probably lasting until the end of the year and 1 was for a teacher's aid position.

Saturday, the SpEd director left a message asking DD to call her cell as soon as she could. She offered DD the contracted teaching position!

DD is so excited as our we. The school board is set to approve her hiring tonight and DD should be starting very soon. :banana: She will be teaching a classroom of about 5 elementary students that all have Autism.

The best part of all is that the school is less than 1 1/2 miles from our house. It's a huge school district (3 high schools, 6 middle schools and 20 elementary schools) so hopefully she'll have a position next school year as well.
Did everyone forget Rule #1 over the holidays? ;)

Congratulations to your daughter! To get a teaching position that quickly after graduation, and in the middle of the year, is awesome! And what a relief, especially in this economy. Good for her!
A totally irrelevant one? :thumbsup2

OP Congrats to your DD on landing a positiion in a HUGE district. As I'm sure you were thinking this will hopefully help her to have good job security. :thumbsup2

Talking Hands - Congrats on having a HUGERer district. :offtopic:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter