My DAS experience at DL & WDW

Tinkerbelle's Mom

<font color=purple>Will clean houses for tags!<br>
I am an AP holder at DL and just returned from a week long WDW trip. I have used the DAS system at both parks. Here are some of my thoughts and experiences.

I originally got my DAS at Disneyland and was worried about it being an issue at WDW after reading about the difficulties some people have had with cast members.

Following all the amazing advice here I was able to secure a WDW DAS by clearly and simply stating my needs. I did mention my condition but I don't think they needed to know that. I did get my DAS at the AK guest services window.

With the current FP+ system in place I used the DAS far less then I had used the former GAC program on our previous WDW trip. It was nice to be able to plan ahead and schedule the rides for a pace that worked for my dd and I.

When I first got my DAS at Disneyland I was a bit irritated at having to find a kiosk to go to. While I do wish there were more Kiosks I realize now, post WDW, that I prefer this method. It is nice to be on one side of the park (or even a different one) and get a time for a ride at a Kiosk and then walk to the ride.

WDW's system of going to the ride entrance was a bit overwhelming for me as there was a lot more backtracking then what I do at Disneyland. This is especially true since WDW is so much more spread out then DL and there are not always other attractions close by.

That being said I did appreciate having the option of using the DAS when needed.

All in all I have found the DAS program to be useful but do prefer the Kiosk style method. I love to be by Mattherhon and get a time for say Radiator Springs - this system works nicely for the way dd & I tour the parks.

I'm glad everything went well. It's nice to hear the positive reports! I do want to say I think they do not do the kiosk method because there is a CM at each attraction..at Disneyland they do not have enough cms to have at each line to give out return times, whereas at wdw they have enough CMs that they can station one at every line entrance. They don't want to do kiosks unless they have to, because they are trying to have the accommodations be as close to the experiences of non-disabled guests as possible...what I mean is, non-disabled guests cannot enter the line until they have walked up to the "actual" line of course, so, requiring you to come to the actual line in order to be put in the "virtual" line, it makes the experience more equal for disabled and non-disabled guests. A non-disabled person cannot be on one side of the park and somehow get in the line for a ride on the other side of the park
So it makes it more equal that someone with a disability needs to also go to the ride to get their spot in "line" too (though their line is a virtual line not an actual line)

I prefer the DL kiosks as well. And i saw MANY other non-DAS guests approaching the kiosks with questions for the CMs. Which is great, because they are focused on that guest. Approaching CMs doing other tasks with questions can be more difficult for the CM and the guest. And the Guest service CMs are better informed and trained.

That said, I would hope that WDW could eventually use the FP+ kiosks for DAS return ride time cards. There are always CMs around the FP+ kiosks, with their iPads. They could check wait times and give a return time, like they do at DL.

Right but they probably won't do that because they want the disabled guests experience to be as close as possible to non-disabled guests. Non-disabled guests must go to the ride to get in line, so they do not want disabled guests to be able to "get in line" (virtual line) when they are on the other side of the parks from the ride.

Right but they probably won't do that because they want the disabled guests experience to be as close as possible to non-disabled guests. Non-disabled guests must go to the ride to get in line, so they do not want disabled guests to be able to "get in line" (virtual line) when they are on the other side of the parks from the ride.

Unless they are at DL, where they do exactly that. I do not get your point. Respectfully.

And stating the obvious, but our guest experience will never be like that for non-disabled guests. They would not want to trade with us.

Unless they are at DL, where they do exactly that. I do not get your point. Respectfully.

And stating the obvious, but our guest experience will never be like that for non-disabled guests. They would not want to trade with us.

I'm sorry you did not understand my point. My point was, they do kiosks at Disneyland because they do not have the option of having a CM stand at every line entrance. The kiosk is to help alleviate staffing issues.
At wdw, they do not have these issues and therefore prefer to give return times at the line itself to make the experience more equal to non-disabled guests...The kiosks simply are not needed, so they are not used.
At Disneyland kiosks are there because they don't have the other option.
That is what we were told at Disney.

Pat mcDuck, they may not be able to make the experience equal, but they are attempting equal access. That is what the law requires. No one is saying your family trip is equal to non-disabled peoples trip or that anyone would choose to switch with you,that is not what I was saying at all. What I was saying is that Disney has a commitment (and an ADA requirement) of making disabled and non-disabled access to the park as equal as possible, this is why they do not allow you to enter a line form a kiosk across the park- non-disabled guests enter the line AT the line.
What they told me is at Disneyland they do not have this option so they make do with kiosks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter