My 9 year old was attacked by a dog (totally unprovokd) this week!!

This story makes me nervous. First-I will say we are dog owners and love dogs.
My mother has a new neighbor that moved in and immediately fenced in her yard. My mom went over to introduce herself and asked what kind of dog she has. The new neighbor responded that is is a pit bull. She continued to say that it was abused and,as a result, hates men. Oh-it is also an escape artist:scared1: The neighbor seems to think this is no big deal. I now do not want my boys to play outside at my moms...

I can't imagine the trauma of being attacked by a dog-your poor child.

Where we live-if a dog attacks once, it is entered in a database. If it attacks again, it is destroyed. Unfortunately-once is all it takes to forever alter a childs (or anyones) life and perception of dogs. My cousin was attacked as a child and his face still bears the scars.

Good luck to you!!

I know I am going to get flamed for this and I love animals more then the next guy, but if any animal (dog, cat, mouse, rat or whatever) were to attack my child, as soon as my child was attended to medically, that animal would cease to exist very shortly thereafter.

If it attacks once, it will do it again.

Flame on.

No flames from me I agree.

Curious, did the owner correct the dog after the offense? Makes ya wonder if it's a rescue from the SPCA if she's affiliated w/ them.

Curious, did the owner correct the dog after the offense? Makes ya wonder if it's a rescue from the SPCA if she's affiliated w/ them.

She was hitting him while trying to get him to let go of my son and then she yelled at him and "spanked" him and took him back to her house.

I'd bet money that he is a rescue dog-----she recently told a neighbor that this dog bit a neighbor's child who moved away---but I don't know details or if this was ever reported to authorities (I added this to my report to animal control). I hope it was, b/c I think a second offense of this kind should merit a promise that my son (and his buddies) should never have to come across that dog again. I do not even walk my two dogs out of fear that another dog would attack and hurt them, so it is hard for me to understand why she would walk such an aggressive dog on our street.

Like drake, my Momma Bear instincts are in fangs glaring gear now and IF this dog returns to the pavement, I will FREAK OUT :mad: Owner left another mesage yesterday and I am not calm enough to call her back yet...(disboards helps me relax!). My son has been an emotional wreck all week---very regressed and tearful everyday over the littlest things AND he is now afraid of another neighbors' labs and he practically lives over there---we're watching Enchanted right now to lighten up things around here!

As to other poster who wrote about the wild pit bulls...I am not the person to ask right now, but I think even before this happened I say, "Better safe than sorry and you know they say, "There are no bad dogs, only bad owners' and those folks sound like bad owners and well, pit bulls?!!!!! :eek:

I am sorry to hear this happened to your son but I am very glad to hear he is ok!!!!!

And I definitley agree with Mindy here the owner should be more aware of her dog's habbit to bite!!!

First very sorry to hear this happened to your son and hope he is doing ok
second as a dog owner and person who does dog rescue I can say that a rescue dog can be very tough we don't always know where they come from the are just dropped off at a shelter who knows what they have for bad habits when we take one in to any of our foster homes they do a very intense once over seeing if they are good with other animals,kids and yes as mentioned before some AREN"T good with men or small kids we then do a application for adoption where we try to make the proper fit for dog and owner next we do a home visit to make sure it is the proper eviroment for the dog as well we do turn down people who are not up to our standards we are a little picky ok maybe more then a little but we feel these dogs have had a rough life the have had a owner then are dumped like trash for most times unknow reasons or minor things that with the right owner and or training will be a perfectly good dog
i do agree if this women can't handle her dog then she shouldn't have the dog its a shame to ever have to put a animal down but sadly this may be the best option for this animal so it doesn't hurt anyone else
Agian very sorry to hear your son got hurt and hope he feels better soon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter