Must Takes??

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by tammers80, Dec 29, 2012.

1. tammers80

tammers80 Earning My Ears

Hi everyone!! We are planning our first Disney Cruise this September! We are all so excited and trying to find things to make the time go by quicker. We are making a countdown calendar, working on FE's, and I am a big planner so I am even working on a must take with list. What would you experienced cruisers recommend? I see photos of adults that dressed up for the pirate party and things like that. I was planning on taking that stuff with for our 6 year old but didn't even think about it for us. But I would love to! Any suggestions for things like that? I really appreciate any advice so we can be better prepared! Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Robin"D"

Robin"D" DIS Veteran

Hello, This list has been around on the boards for a awhile...
    You can take what you need off of it and a just it for you...:

ITEM
    $1 or $ 2 bills (room service grat)
    Address Labels-Luggage Tags
    Address Labels-Postcards
    Air Freshner/Room Scent/Pillow scent
    Aloe
    Antacid
    Anti-bacterial Wipes or Gel
    Aspirin or other medicine
    Backpack
    Band-aids
    Batteries (camera batteries also)
    Beach toys
    Benadryl
    Beverages/mixers/wine
    Binoculars
    Bonine
    Books
    Bubblewrap
    Bungee cord/rope
    Business Cards
    Button Hole Extenders
    Cameras
    Candy
    Carry-on with wheels
    CD player/CDs/iPod
    Clothspins & clothesline
    Coffeemaker
    Cooler (soft-sided)
    Corkscrew
    Cutting knife
    Deodorant
    Dishwash Detergent or Cloths
    Dramamine
    Dry erase board
    Dryer Sheets
    Duct tape (flat pack)
    Duffle bag (spare)
    Earplugs
    Extension Cord or Power Strip
    Eyewash and/or eyecup
    Fan - hand-held
    Fanny pack
    Feminine needs
    Film/Memory Card (spare)
    Flashlight
    Folder or Large Envelope
    Glow necklaces
    GPS
    Hairbrush/Comb
    Hairdryer
    Hamper - collapsable
    Highlighters
    ID holder/dry box
    Insect Repellent packets
    Keep cool or "migraine ice" strips
    Laptop & cords
    Laundry Detergent
    Laxative, correctal/gentle
    List of these tips
    Lotion
    Luggage Bag
    Magnetic door sign or photo holder
    Makeup
    Moisturizer/Lotion
    Multi~tool/ Leatherman
    Night Light
    Notebook/Journal, Pens
    Notebook/Memo Pad
    Over-the-door Shoe Holder
    Papaya Enzyme Tablet or Beano
    Pen - laundry pen
    Pens
    Permanent Marker (Sharpie)
    Phone Cards (staff grats)
    Pillowcases & colored Sharpies
    Post-it Pad
    Powder
    Prescriptions/medicines
    Quarters - a roll or two
    Reading Glasses
    Safety Pins
    Scrapbook/Autograph Book
    Sense of humor
    Sewing Kit
    Shampoo
    Shaving Kit
    Sippy Cups
    Snorkeling Gear
    Sports bottle/water bottle/mug
    Stain Stick or Packet
    Straws
    Suction cups/hooks
    Sunglasses
    Sunscreen/Sunscreen spray
    Swiss Army knife
    Thank You Cards
    Tissues
    Toothbrush/toothpaste
    Tote Bag/Beach Bag/Day Bag
    Trash bags
    Travel clock/alarm clock
    Travel Iron, Steamer, or Wrinkle Spray
    Two-way Radios
    Umbrella
    Watch - recommend waterproof
    Windex wipes
    Woolite
    Zip straps
    Ziploc Bags

Hope this helps

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

4. Mtinkerbell5189

Mtinkerbell5189 Mouseketeer

I know these are just suggestions but why would you need some of this stuff - cutting knife? Swiss army knife? Duck tape, ear plugs, gps

5. jahber

jahber DIS Veteran

Ear plugs could definitely come in handy! Ever had a room near the kids' clubs? :)

But travel irons and steamers aren't allowed--they will confiscate them (and hold up the security line while you sign a form to reclaim then after the cruise) :)

6. kdeans1010

kdeans1010 DIS Veteran

I remember when I first came here and thought I needed to bring that whole list. I was getting all the stuff from my decon team-go bag from work and then about a month before I stopped and thought about it. We didn't need a cork screw because we were bringing wine that had a screw top (we're klassy like that). You can't bring a coffeemaker on board. And the umbrella stuff... maybe I'm just too Washington for my own good, but if it's raining I wear a hood and I like walking in the rain. That list looks super imposing and scary. But you don't need to pack everything in it (for example- I carried all my addresses in the back of my journal. Next trip they're going in my iPhone, which is going on airplane mode the whole trip.).

Few of my "duh" moments/thoughts to bring:
    -a big t-shirt. That stupid spray sunscreen didn't work with me (I didn't know you had to rub it in. I had white stripes everywhere, amongst bright red). I didn't think to bring a t-shirt because it was going to be hot. Then I got burned. People kept looking at my burn... Had nothing to cover it.
    -sunburn relief cream.
    -if you take anything to help you sleep normally bring that.
    -Remember what you wear normally and don't try to go outside comfy zone clothes wise for cruises. I brought dresses that were short, super heels, and wondered why I lived in shorts most of my cruise.

Oh and have fun!

7. bitlerzx4

bitlerzx4 DIS Veteran

I agree. I packed stuff I never needed! This time this momma is going to be smart about it. Concentrate on having lots of fun!

8. dibond38

dibond38 Mouseketeer

Best thing I have read to take with you is.....

A great attitude and your smile. There will be times that the ship seems crowded or a plan doesn't work out. Relax, you are on vacation and a smile goes a long way.

9. KTJ

KTJ Earning My Ears

:) Love it!

10. tammers80

tammers80 Earning My Ears

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely pull from all this!

11. bahacca

bahacca Mouseketeer

I'm a first timer on DCL, and I'm flying in, so my list is a LOT smaller!
    Items I wrote down after reading here other than the "usual":
    $1 bills for tipping room service(you may not plan to use it, but I remember on a trip with my parents, we did it for fun)
    a small flashlight for the kids if they need to get up in the night
    a clock with a lit face(apparently the clocks are old school on the older ships? Not sure on the new ones)
    4 different colored highlighters so we know what each person wants to do each day
    wine/beer/liquor (We are staying in Miami for 2 days prior, so will buy it then)
    FE and FE gifts
    pillowcases/photo mats to have signed--candy or treats for the "thank you" for this service
    If there is room when we pack(we ONLY do carry on, so...) an over the door shoe organizer so we can hang it in the bathroom to hold all of our stuff:thumbsup2

12. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

holy crap that's a big list......I get where you would pick and choose from it or your luggage would have no room for cloths. just glanced over it quickly but the suggestion for the corkscrew is not needed. if you call room service and ask they will bring you one and wine glasses that you can keep in your cabin for the entire cruise.
    plus, unless you need lots and lots, you can pick up asprin and bandages, that sort of thing, in the shops. I know bringing your own will save money but I prefer to save the room. the shops pretty much carry it all.
    not saying the list isn't good.......don't read into this. lol.

13. ilovetexas

ilovetexas DIS Veteran

Just an FYI, the clock on the Fantasy was so bright I had to put a towel over it to sleep. It lit up the entire room! As many times as I've cruised, I NEVER remember the highlighters....and they are absolutely necessary.

14. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

The clocks can be dimmed. The large button on the top has (I think) 3 dim levels as well as "off".

I second the highlighters.

:cutie:

15. kdeans1010

kdeans1010 DIS Veteran

See for me, and this is purely a 'Kim' thing so others may not get it: the bandaides/mini first aid kit, aspirin, Motrin, Aleve, Tums, migraine meds... I think it's because I just graduated nursing school and I work in a hospital, before I leave I want to make sure I have all that, just in case something happens on the plane, hotel, shuttle, etc. I am so... OCD about that my FE gift was a mini first aide kit. I can scrimp on things like highlighters (never used), over the door rack, etc. I need my first aid kit. :worship:

Oh bring reusable cups with lids. I had one for like iced drinks. I would fill it up before movies, before going to port, or just to putz around the boat.

16. carmie3377

carmie3377 Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Oh, same here! We take almost every first aid/med that we might need! Last thing I want is a headache or fever in middle of night or in the middle of nowhere and not have it. DH, a doc, even carries sutures in his first aid kit. While on excursion in foreign country, that is handy to have since it would be an option of us.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

17. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

love your FE gift. that's a good idea.
    now, as far as your what if's, my thought is, if I need it I will ask. you can get asprin (for free) and bandages (for free) on any plane. as for the hotels, well, if its say the middle of the night and the store is closed, call the front desk and they will send your needs to you. this goes for the ship as well. you can call down and they will send them up. if you need a specific brand you may have a problem but most places ask what you prefer and carry a wide selection.
    were all different and if you feel better taking it i'm not saying don't. I'm just saying you don't have to. I never do and have never had a hard time getting an asprin or a bandage or even a toothbrush if I have left mine at home. one time I left my whole bathroom kit at home. called the front desk and the hotel sent up toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, safety pins. its never a problem.

18. JeanfromBNA

JeanfromBNA "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

If you're going to the Caribbean, pack sunscreen and aloe, and leave your jeans at home. If you're going to Alaska, pack raincoat, umbrella, shoes for damp locations, and a knit hat and gloves.

Oh, and underwear. Don't forget socks and underwear, unless you are doing.sandals and boat shoes in the Caribbean.

tickets, plane tickets, itinerary.

19. carmie3377

carmie3377 Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

DH forgot underwear on our first trip to WDW, lol. Now it's always the first thing packed!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

20. Spurr002

Spurr002 Earning My Ears

An easy one to forget I've found (somehow) is sunglasses. It always slips my mind when packing, especially if you're flying in and it's not the sunniest in your state / country at the time (like in Minnesota). Also, bring more contact solution than you would think you would need. Even if you don't wear contacts you could need to flush your eyes at some point.

21. Weedy

Weedy DIS Veteran

From the Disney Cruise Line Page:
    What to Pack for a Disney Cruise to the Caribbean

It's your vacation! So dress comfortably aboard your Disney cruise, but be sure to bring the appropriate attire for onboard activities and dinner, plus any Port Adventures that you decide to do, as well as when you go into port. Here are our packing suggestions.

The Basics

Pack these items in a day bag to keep with you, as your luggage may not arrive at your stateroom until a few hours after boarding:

Medications (in their original containers)
    Passport and travel documentation
    Camera and accessories (batteries, memory cards, etc.)
    Extra prescription glasses or contact lenses
    Swimsuit
    Sunscreen or hat
    Reading material
    Attire and Accessories

Beach cover-up
    Denim jeans
    Dinner attire (see below)
    Extra swimsuit
    Lightweight pants
    Long skirt (required for entry into some religious venues)
    Swim diapers for baby
    Sunglasses
    T-shirts
    Shorts
    Sundresses
    Sandals or sneakers (rubber-soled shoes for Port Adventures)
    Socks
    Wind jacket
    In winter, you may also want to bring:

Rain jacket
    Sweater or other layering pieces
    Closed-toe footwear
    Dinner attire is "cruise casual," meaning no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Diners at Palo or Remy, the adults-only restaurant, will want to dress more formally than when dining at our other restaurants. The Disney Cruise Line newsletter, Personal Navigator, will be delivered daily to your stateroom with attire advice for each night's dinner.